Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Asterisk War (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 9, 2023 7:54 PM

Jan 2022
From all of the people I've talked to that even watch anime, this one is rarely discussed. But I do see that it is somewhat popular on this platform so I just want to see everyone's opinion on this. Did you enjoy the plot? Do you think the characters had good depth to their personalities or were they shallow? Was the sequence of events and story writing good in your eyes? Those are all questions that can be discussed here but MOST IMPORTANTLY. How did it make you feel? Is this a series that comforts you and gives good memories or one you'd rather not watch? You're entitled to your own emotions and I wanna hear what you have to say! Thanks a bunch :D
Jun 9, 2023 8:14 PM
Jun 2016
I did enjoy it. had a nice story and a good opening. (opening 1).
Jun 9, 2023 8:19 PM
Feb 2021
a series worth of a 3rd season in my eyes.

i mean i liked the anime very much liked the story and all and i honestly think it deserves a 3rd season but i dont know why did it already happen i mean season 2 ending had a massive cliffhanger so obviously season 3 was in the plans but for some reason it didnt happen.
Jun 9, 2023 8:27 PM
Nov 2022
I would say it was an ok series, not bad(it was enjoyable).
And about it getting a 3rd season, it won't be bad if it got another season but people feels really frustrated when they see that it has 2 seasons because rakudai kishi started on same day, had better animation and progression, and was much popular than asterisk but both having kinda same start. But then rakudai kishi only got 1 season, so it still bugs some people.
Jun 9, 2023 8:32 PM

Nov 2021
Ngl most of my memories of watching this are blurred with https://myanimelist.net/anime/30296/Rakudai_Kishi_no_Cavalry which aired at the same time and I haven't watched either since then. I think Rakudai Kishi was probably better tho, but I remember liking the OPs (in 2016)
Jun 9, 2023 8:44 PM
Jul 2021
AWGXXX said:
Ngl most of my memories of watching this are blurred with https://myanimelist.net/anime/30296/Rakudai_Kishi_no_Cavalry which aired at the same time and I haven't watched either since then. I think Rakudai Kishi was probably better tho, but I remember liking the OPs (in 2016)

same here, i find these two shows kind of similar but i always liked cavalry of a failed knight better. i got a feeling asterisk war kinda over shadowed it because they both aired at the same time and asterisk war was more famous...
Jun 9, 2023 8:52 PM

Oct 2021
It's just another magic school battle harem, pretty much an isekai before isekai era nowadays.

Both OPs are banger tho.
Jun 9, 2023 9:26 PM
Community Mod
💧Focalors💧

Mar 2022
I thought it was alright. I've seen people hate on it, but I think it's still enjoyable for what it is.

If I was bored, I'd maybe rewatch this on a whim or something.
Jun 9, 2023 9:46 PM
Nov 2019
When I was new to anime, this one was one of my first 10s of anime, and I liked it enough to even download it and rewatch it a few times. I'd say this was a show that definitely helped me in developing an interest to anime. Though kinda feels weird that I have a bit of bias towards action anime nowadays, but yeah, Gakuen Toshi Asterisk, along with Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry definitely give me some nostalgia. But yeah, had watched Digibro's video on how trash it was, not that it made me hate the show or anything, I was laughing all the way, having so much fun, seeing such a show that definitely was for weak teenagers, like remember seeing Ayato ran from Claudia? When Digibro pointed that out, I was laughing really hard, and also, it made me remember how when I first watched, that scene felt something like... "ahahaha... same..." without even realizing it. Like sheesh. When Digibro mentioned about how he would have enjoyed it maybe as a teenager, it made me think of him as honest, like yeah, he was really honest while talking about The Asterisk War, that's that YAS season(?) was fun. Though yeah, as for what would I think of it nowadays? Um... trashy show but I can see myself still enjoying it on the re-watch. Like the memories, plus finding the new best girl, Saya was best girl for me I think? Or was it Kirin? But yeah, probably will still be Kirin because of how cute she was. Though I never know, maybe it might be some side or villain character lol. Though yeah, most importantly, to see how differently it is compared to my first watches.

Sillyconing Shenanigans:

basically Gakusen Toshi Asterisk is a nostalgic favorite.

More Sillyconing Shenanigans:
Neat.
Also neat.
And another.
+ another one.
And another one.
Then have one more.
Actually, have two more.
Jun 9, 2023 9:48 PM
Jun 2021
i don't remember anything about it and it's been a long time since i watch it but from my score i can say it's a trash harem fantasy
Jun 9, 2023 10:15 PM

Aug 2020
I liked it. nothing great but i enjoyed it.
if 3rd season ever come I'd watch that.
Jun 9, 2023 10:31 PM
Mar 2022
similar to chilvary of failed knight overall it's a ok show me just enjoyable for me to watch
Jun 9, 2023 11:58 PM
Aug 2022
i would say a 7 overall , is good but i think this deserve a season 3 ,i remember some things was "undiscovered"
Jun 10, 2023 12:13 AM

Apr 2021
Akana2246 said:
From all of the people I've talked to that even watch anime, this one is rarely discussed. But I do see that it is somewhat popular on this platform so I just want to see everyone's opinion on this. Did you enjoy the plot? Do you think the characters had good depth to their personalities or were they shallow? Was the sequence of events and story writing good in your eyes? Those are all questions that can be discussed here but MOST IMPORTANTLY. How did it make you feel? Is this a series that comforts you and gives good memories or one you'd rather not watch? You're entitled to your own emotions and I wanna hear what you have to say! Thanks a bunch :D

Really enjoyed this series and I am still waiting for a 3 season.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series and judge each based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jun 10, 2023 12:30 AM

Apr 2021
AWGXXX said:

They both had good stories, characters, and were enjoyable to watch.

Rakudai Kishi deserved another season, if there was content.

And this one deserved a 3rd season.

I don’t think we need to state witch was better, they have similarities, but they are different anime.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series and judge each based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jun 10, 2023 12:31 AM

Apr 2021
EdgyLord666 said:
It's just another magic school battle harem, pretty much an isekai before isekai era nowadays.

Both OPs are banger tho.

It is not a harem or isekai … what do you mean?

Jun 10, 2023 12:36 AM
Mar 2022
I didn't like it, there was no character depth, the story and character types were very ordinary, but what bothered me the most was that despite the bad events that happened, they went to win the tournament like going to the market and solved all the bad events emotionlessly, which made the already average anime even lower in my eyes, even if I watched it just to look at the harem, the harem was just an NPC community devoid of harem elements, in short, I didn't like it at all. (I don't remember the events exactly because I watched it a long time ago)
Jun 10, 2023 1:19 AM
May 2022
I liked everything about this anime and I hope it gets another season
Jun 10, 2023 1:26 AM
Jun 2022
It was great tbh , I've watched chivalry one and asterisk war one after another just 1month back so I can differentiate between them easily . If I compare it with chivalry one then it has better soundtracks, world building (the main reason of it is it's sequel), animations (odd opinion) and VAs . The main characters of chivalry one is better in all terms but the side characters are slightly better in asterisk war. I think it deserves a 3rd season , the only problem is that chivalry fans kinda blindly hate it because both have a similar plot and got released at the same time , still it got a sequel and chivalry didn't . You can call it jealousy too.
Jun 10, 2023 1:43 AM

Oct 2021
ejleon said:
EdgyLord666 said:

Both OPs are banger tho.

Never said it's an isekai, but yes, it is a harem.
Jun 10, 2023 4:44 AM
Feb 2022
I really enjoyed it.
Still looking forward to the 3rd season but.....
Jun 10, 2023 4:44 AM
Feb 2022
BaldWhippedCream said:
AWGXXX said:

same here, i find these two shows kind of similar but i always liked cavalry of a failed knight better. i got a feeling asterisk war kinda over shadowed it because they both aired at the same time and asterisk war was more famous...

Same here that was a better series than Asterisk War.
Jun 10, 2023 6:00 AM
Nov 2022
This is one is funny to me. It was only my second anime, after finishing MHA(at least Season 5, at the time) and I saw this show. I can't really say for sure what compelled me to watch it, but when I first started it I never checked the ecchi and harem tags... so, you can imagine all the tropes that came with it:

•Big booba older girl(smash)

•"It's not like I like you but kiss me" pink haired tsundere

•Childhood best friend who's also a loli

•13 YEAR OLD GIRL THATS ALSO A LOLI(seriously, how did she even get in this school with 16 year olds??)

•The Golden Rule of all Ecchi(and most harems): Oh, a guy and a girl are in a room? LETS MAKE THEM FU-
(wait that's wrong)
*ahem*
LET'S HAVE HER CLOTHES RANDOMLY FALL OFF(and a bunch of close up shots, a LOT of close ups)

But, the action in this show is.. surprisingly great! The animation in the fights is super stylistic, and looks pretty solid for when it came out. And the music in this show is honestly such a bop(seriously, Brand New World/OP 1 is a certified hood banger) and the voice actors are good enough. I can't speak for the sub, since I watched the dub, but I imagine it's just as good there. So, basically, for a title when you first start out your weeb days, you could watch this, or watch it while drunk, as it's hard to take a whole lot or even Ayato's sister plotline serious with all of the fanservice, but it does its job good enough. As Trixie the Golden Witch discussed in one of the videos they made, there are NUMEROUS plot holes, but if you just want something to laugh at or just see booba with swords, then this is for you. I have a lot of nostalgia for it, so I'll probably rewatch it again at some point, but yeah, it has a ton of flaws, so take that as you will. Dumb weeb signing out!
Jun 10, 2023 8:28 AM
Aug 2022
Very good show. I ended up buying a model of that tiny girls sword. Kirin I’m pretty sure her name was

I liked the music as well.
Jun 10, 2023 9:34 AM
Dec 2021
Was fantastic, but I lost hope for a new season a while ago.
Jun 10, 2023 9:41 AM
Dec 2021
I really wanted a third season for this series but in the end the season one and two were only made for the promotion of the light novel 😞
Jun 10, 2023 4:38 PM

Apr 2021
EdgyLord666 said:
ejleon said:

EdgyLord666 said:
ejleon said:

Maybe I’m confused … “isekai before isekai”?

and 3 people liking him is a harem?

Jun 10, 2023 9:59 PM

Oct 2021
ejleon said:
EdgyLord666 said:
EdgyLord666 said:

It's the ''magic school battle harem'' part, and yes, if there are more than 2 people liking the mc then it's a harem.
Jun 11, 2023 5:21 AM
Oct 2020
I really enjoyed it. I watched it about three years ago and was surprised it was just left as it was. I felt the same about Chivalry of a Failed Knight..knowing there is more story there and just being relegated to the light novels was sad. Enjoyed the reads though
Jun 11, 2023 5:58 AM
Jan 2021
I don’t remember much about it as it’s been a long time since i’ve watched it but i do remember liking it a lot back then, it was one of my first anime’s i’ve watched and i remember liking it enough to really want a third season
Jun 11, 2023 5:28 PM
Jan 2019
Season 1 fucking loved it. It was one of the few first animes I watched and it’s very fond to me. Season I didn’t love as much.
Jun 12, 2023 4:21 AM

Apr 2021
EdgyLord666 said:
ejleon said:

It's the ''magic school battle harem'' part, and yes, if there are more than 2 people liking the mc then it's a harem.

I would question that … but ok

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2016

151 by AttackONSUS »»
Jan 26, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2016

79 by vadoyager7 »»
Aug 15, 2023 6:28 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 21, 2016

77 by vadoyager7 »»
Jul 24, 2023 10:33 PM

» Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Season 3 ( 1 2 )

GoldenGamerHD - Dec 3, 2017

50 by VidipSarkar123 »»
Jun 6, 2023 12:26 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2016

81 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 8, 2022 11:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.