Forum Settings
Forums

Whats your favorite use of insect symbolism in anime or manga?

New
Mar 23, 2023 9:17 AM
Dec 2017
Like a bolt from the blue its time for a threadview!!

So this thread is one i've had in mind for a while now that i've just remembered, so lets go. Now if you look at the panel i went with xxxholic for a reason, as Yuko always is often seen in butterfly like clothing and never wears the same outfit.

So its some pretty interesting ideas imo.

That being said any favorite insect symbolsim in anime or manga you guys  have let me know and enjoy the thread! 

@AlexPaulLewz's favorite song actually lol.

Mar 23, 2023 9:37 AM

Dec 2015
Never paid too much attention to insects or any kind of that animal in anime/manga the only one which I can think of is the Hell Butterflies from Bleach
Mar 23, 2023 10:40 AM

Feb 2016
The Book of Human Insects: it's right there in the title.

その目だれの目?
Mar 23, 2023 10:43 AM

May 2019
Giorno Giovanna's ladybug brooch and Jolyne Kujo's butterfly pattern.
Mar 23, 2023 11:12 AM

May 2021
no spoilers, but I enjoyed the symbolism of the moths in the tatami galaxy 
Mar 23, 2023 11:19 AM

Dec 2021
I'll never get tired of cicadas being used as a representation for summer nostalgia
There may not be any cicadas where I live, but the sound is definitely a similar vibe to crickets on nice evenings 😊
Mar 23, 2023 11:52 AM

Aug 2018
Since insects are a specific topic of symbologies, I have a harder time remembering any that caught my attention. At this moment, only two important ones come to mind.

The first of these is the classic butterfly symbology in Shingeki no Kyojin. Especially in the opening "Rumbling", by the band SiM, at the end we see another representation of the main theme of the work. Hajime Isayama wrote Shingeki having as one of his main messages the maxim: "The world is merciless, and it's also very beautiful". This is the reason behind the allegory of the bloodstained flower seen in the ending "Akuma no Ko", and it is also what is to be represented by the butterfly at the end of the opening. The butterfly is a symbology for the universe of Shingeki no Kyojin, representing the beauty that is hidden in the world and the mystique in its discovery, while the act of being crushed, with its wings broken, represents cruelty and atrocity. It is an erasure of the beauty of that world, through the manifestations of the cycle of hatred and cowardice of human beings towards their own species, which results in the devastation of the world itself and the shattering of its beauty. It is a very rich representation, if we stop to think about it.

The second example I would like to bring comes from Chi no Wadachi. Right at the beginning of the events in the manga, the story reaches its first major twist when Seiko Osabe, Seiichi's mother, pushes the protagonist's cousin, Shigeru, off a cliff. When this event takes place, there is a mass profusion of butterflies, which is responsible for marking the memory of our protagonist. Since then, whenever there is a scene recalling the sequence of events or some resignification of that same scene - which, I must say, occurs frequently in the work - the same butterflies reappear. In this case, I remember the symbology not for its richness, like Shingeki no Kyojin, but for how the author was attentive to detail and used the swarm of insects as a marker for associating events in the plot. He also does it with other elements, like the cat in the first chapter, but I'm no longer in the territory of symbologies with insects, per se.
Mar 23, 2023 8:11 PM

Feb 2021
86 had some butterfly/morpho symbolisms in part 2. Episode 20 had some shots showing ants eating a morpho throughout the episode. It starts with a dead morpho and ends with the ants consuming its body leaving only the morpho's head.

Major spoilers below!
Mar 23, 2023 8:38 PM

Nov 2019
In Naruto, after the Choji versus Jirobo fight, when Shikamary sees the butterfly pass him by.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Mar 23, 2023 11:53 PM

Oct 2010
my favorite is in kyochu rettou, I bet the insects symbolize something cool but the ecchi scenes were hot
Mar 24, 2023 12:38 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Mushibugyo.. That's my go to anime for insects.. It had all kinds of insect.. Actually Japan has a long and strange connection with insects

More topics from this board

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

11 by DoisacChopper »»
3 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - Today

48 by ShatteredSans »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour

animegamer245 - 16 minutes ago

1 by delirific »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

54 by omorashi »»
8 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

51 by vasipi4946 »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.