Forum Settings
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 20, 2023 4:28 AM
Oct 2020
I feel like the anime was way better than the light novel, but the majority doesn't seem to think so.

First of all, I think the light novel's pacing is insanely slow. Like, unbelievably, excruciatingly slow, so that's one of its biggest flaws.

Secondly, there's a lot of excess rumblings and—not to be aggressive—nonsensical paragraphs that contribute almost nothing apart from just conveying what has already been conveyed multiple times already, but in a different way. I feel like it could've been way more enjoyable without this aspect. It's especially strong in volume 8 and volume 9 (which at the point of writing this, I'm almost finished with).

Of course the story and the characters are pretty much the same (although the anime excluded a lot of scenes) but I feel like the light novel has a lot of meaningless scenes that are just there to fill up the page and word count. Which is also a pacing problem imo.

So, do some of you also think the anime was better than the light novel, or am I the only one who thinks so?
Feb 20, 2023 7:49 AM

Dec 2021
He probably had to pad out the volumes to reach the required word count.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Feb 21, 2023 3:38 PM

Aug 2020
The novel is more dense, and has monologues of the main characters. I was really interested from the beginning, and I understood the characters motives way better.

But that's just me.

Feb 25, 2023 2:16 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Eggs_Dee said:
I feel like the anime was way better than the light novel, but the majority doesn't seem to think so.

First of all, I think the light novel's pacing is insanely slow. Like, unbelievably, excruciatingly slow, so that's one of its biggest flaws.

Secondly, there's a lot of excess rumblings and—not to be aggressive—nonsensical paragraphs that contribute almost nothing apart from just conveying what has already been conveyed multiple times already, but in a different way. I feel like it could've been way more enjoyable without this aspect. It's especially strong in volume 8 and volume 9 (which at the point of writing this, I'm almost finished with).

Of course the story and the characters are pretty much the same (although the anime excluded a lot of scenes) but I feel like the light novel has a lot of meaningless scenes that are just there to fill up the page and word count. Which is also a pacing problem imo.

So, do some of you also think the anime was better than the light novel, or am I the only one who thinks so?
There is a point to what you are saying, but far from enough to consider such a thing, IMO S2 was an improvement over S1, but the pacing is too fast, and too much details are lost when they dont bother to insert a lot of Hachiman's monologues, so I cant really agree, but I m putting hopes S3 will be better due to a slower pacing.
OST is very much a joke for this series sadely, it deserved something much better, less BLAND.
Mar 27, 2023 4:34 PM
Jan 2020
Playcool said:
Eggs_Dee said:

There is a point to what you are saying, but far from enough to consider such a thing, IMO S2 was an improvement over S1, but the pacing is too fast, and too much details are lost when they dont bother to insert a lot of Hachiman's monologues, so I cant really agree, but I m putting hopes S3 will be better due to a slower pacing.
OST is very much a joke for this series sadely, it deserved something much better, less BLAND.
S3 has already aired.
Mar 27, 2023 6:33 PM

Jul 2019
@Eggs_Dee, I don't believe so. But, I can't disagree with your points too. There is quite a bit of rambling but those stems mainly from monologues. Especially from Hachiman's head, ya know. However, I see it as part of character inspection of his character. Like how he views certain things that happen within the series. It's quite lively to see his cynical views on things and, the changes as he grows. I feel like that's one of the reasons to read the light novels. To get into these characters' heads and look under at what's written.

Also, when in non-serious, drama-filled moments, I loved the character interactions as well. And as others have already said here that has been reiterated so much, reading the contents that were cut from the anime is generally better.

I guess the important thing is this: If you already love the characters and what the series wants to convey with its subtexts, you should've no problem with it all.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Apr 2, 2023 5:47 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Arctic_Lonewolf said:
Playcool said:
S3 has already aired.

And? I have not yet seen it all, so those are my hopes to what they did, I will only know when i finish it.
Apr 30, 2023 8:12 AM

Jun 2021
I disagree that the anime is better than the LN but I get your point. There were many points in the LN which I just wanted to skiiiiiiip over such as the useless scenes with Hikigaya's sister, and I did just that with the entirety of 10.5 and major parts of the other .5 volumes. It is slow but I feel like the light novel does a much better job and depicting the thoughts of people, just like what LordSozin mentioned. hence why the LNs are better than the anime.
May 23, 2023 12:49 AM
Jan 2018
The anime also cut a lot of scenes more importantly for S3 with yukino in favour for yui
Sep 10, 2023 6:38 PM
Aug 2017
Reply to Playcool
Eggs_Dee said:

@Playcool
Playcool said:
but I m putting hopes S3 will be better due to a slower pacing.
so how was s3 compared to the past seasons?
Sep 10, 2023 11:39 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Reply to Epi_Start_er
@Playcool
Playcool said:
but I m putting hopes S3 will be better due to a slower pacing.
so how was s3 compared to the past seasons?
@Epi_Start_er Have yet to finish.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Volume 14 Discussion

Playcool - Feb 25, 2023

3 by TitanInsane »»
Jun 27, 2023 2:24 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Chapter 168 Discussion

Revanzz - Jun 26, 2023

1 by Thewatcher_22 »»
Jun 26, 2023 5:25 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Chapter 1 Discussion

ZeroZx - Nov 10, 2012

5 by Revanzz »»
Jun 26, 2023 2:13 AM

» Worth reading? Even after seeing anime?

cloolessJok3r - Apr 3, 2022

4 by Hitagi__Furude »»
Apr 30, 2023 8:19 AM

» Is Hachiman a Buddhist?

ShuisBased2 - May 10, 2022

1 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 8, 2023 5:49 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.