Forum Settings
Forums

I Can’t Reply to a Comment Left on My Profile Because They Only Accept Comments From Friends.

New
Jan 18, 2023 8:37 AM

Feb 2016
When I clicked on "Reply," it tells me : "This user only accepts comments from friends."

How is this a thing on MyAnimeList? Users can leave all sorts of comments without us being able to respond, creating a one-sided conversation or an end-all argument remark.
This reminds me of Reddit's block function.

I could just report the comment if it was harassment or death threats, but it's just a comment calling me a "lolicon." There's no reason for me to report it or delete the comment even with the option to.
I am bothered that I can't reply to someone out of courtesy, and it goes against my principles.

YouTubeWeird Videos
Anime Edits
PixivSheetHost

"Salvation is a thin thread dangling from heaven."
- Mary ~ Death Mark

Jan 18, 2023 12:08 PM

Dec 2014
Yeah it's just silly on the sender's side. You can reply using this thread if you wish.

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

Jan 18, 2023 4:36 PM

Oct 2022
I agree this is total BS on this site. If a user has their profile set to only comment from friends, that should automatically disable their ability to leave any. Simple. And YES it is simple, I've been on other sites many years ago that had that setup, if websites could manage that in the 2000s then it's possible here today. 

Best to turn off all profile comments. Shut the kids down. 
Jan 18, 2023 7:49 PM

Oct 2020
lmao so true, anyways that person accepts private messages,
Jan 28, 2023 7:49 PM

Feb 2016
@Nozdref Actually, would it be okay if I were to just tag him here? It might be a rule/forum/site violation-- IDK.

@Sethispr This action would defeat my stance. He called me out in the comments, and so it should be there.
I didn't even like the idea of making this forum post either because the comment is supposed to be naturally discovered, not put on a pedestal.

@SuperAdventure I might do that. But in doing so, would it remove all the previous comments? If I re-enable the comments again, would they show back up?
Guess I should make a forum post for this.

I apologize for the late response BTW. I completely forgot about this haha.

YouTubeWeird Videos
Anime Edits
PixivSheetHost

- Mary ~ Death Mark

Jan 29, 2023 6:51 AM

Oct 2022
No need to make other posts no- it won't remove comments that are already on your page. But you are allowed to delete undesired comments. Like I said it's a weird setup- they need to give users the option to either interact (comments enabled) or not interact (comments disable) but for some reason they do not. 
Jan 30, 2023 5:11 PM

Dec 2014
-Haoto- said:
@Nozdref Actually, would it be okay if I were to just tag him here? It might be a rule/forum/site violation-- IDK.
I don't think it'd be appropriate

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

Jan 30, 2023 9:55 PM

Aug 2009
Gotta love people who comment on people's pages while either disallowing comments or setting them to friends only. Like, "Hi. Nice to meet you too, asshole."

Jan 31, 2023 3:49 AM

Dec 2015
There was another thread about this - where someone wanted a change. Though this can be bypassed (as someone mentioned on the other thread): If it was only allowed for people that also have their comments set to public ... thtey could just set it to public ... comment on someones profile and then disable their comments as well.

I'd be in favor of calling this "wall" ... and allowing the owner of the profile to delete others "comments" instead. That way the reporting stuff problem (where someone posts stuff and you do not want it but it also is not reportable) would not be necessary anymore.

(And of course if a person is blocked they should not be able to comment - even if you set your comments to public.)
Jan 31, 2023 3:38 PM

Oct 2020
just pm them instead- its not that big a deal

✧ THE NIGHT SHONE UPON TWO, ME & YOU ✧ FORUM SET BY:SAINTZEPH

Feb 11, 2023 6:36 AM

Feb 2016
I feel like this won't ever be solved on this website.

YouTubeWeird Videos
Anime Edits
PixivSheetHost

- Mary ~ Death Mark

Nov 11, 2023 6:40 PM

Jun 2021
I also couldn't reply to a comment left in my profile months ago. Well, it took me a while to compose what to reply but I realized I couldn't send it since the comment section on the other user's profile page is disabled as well as their inbox. That shouldn't be the case; I mean they shouldn't be allowed to leave comments on other users' comment section considering other users won't be able to reply on their profile page or send private message since the other user disabled those. I just want to acknowledge that I received their comment and looked into their suggestion for my stack. I'm still bugged that I can't tell them that.

Like why comment on my profile page if there's no way for me to correspond? Oh, and even if they PMed me I won't be able to respond since I've already reached the inbox limit as I like to keep receipts of my approved submissions.
Nov 14, 2023 5:31 PM

Nov 2018
MAL needs to add a setting to our profiles that only allow comments from people who haven't closed off their own comments.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Dec 9, 2023 8:39 PM

Jun 2021
Ugh! I wanted to reply to a comment left in my profile page to say thank you and also ask a question but I can't because the other user have their comments section in their profile page disabled. Like does MAL expect me to send a friend request to everyone who happens to leave a comment in my profile page and have their comments section disabled just so I could reply?

Please don't tell me to just send them a PM or DM. I've already reached my inbox limit so I can't.
"You may only have 1000 messages in your inbox at a time. Please remove some before trying to send another message."

Please don't tell me to delete some of the messages in my inbox. No, I won't as I want to keep receipts of my DB submissions. Maybe I will delete some if we can see our contributions page but the page can only be viewed by mods (https://myanimelist.net/profile/USERNAME/contributions).
(See: Improvements to adding things to the Database, Is there a way to check the status of my submissions/edits?)

_cjessop19_ said:
MAL needs to add a setting to our profiles that only allow comments from people who haven't closed off their own comments.

I totally agree!
IridescentJauneDec 10, 2023 4:47 AM
Dec 10, 2023 4:44 AM

Jun 2021
@xinicev Nope. I don't fancy using the comments section on profile pages. And I don't really liking using @ as I don't really like pinging people as much as possible.

Anyways, I've sent them what I wanted to say in a thread we had a convo before. I'm just waiting for their response.

Still, MAL should consider user suggestions for this issue.

More topics from this board

» I can't use forums using Windows High Contrast anymore

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

4 by Noboru »»
2 minutes ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3372 by GARFIELDD666 »»
Yesterday, 10:02 PM

» [Reported] Username being auto-pasted into search bar

DariTheWeeb - Feb 19

49 by DeadPiles »»
Yesterday, 6:03 PM

» IP ban glitch?

AverageRiceFan - Apr 21

2 by hich4n_ »»
Yesterday, 12:15 PM

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

127 by Spunkert »»
Yesterday, 6:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.