Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 16, 2023 6:15 AM
Luny Tunes

Offline
Feb 2012
7821
I looked at the new table and that's looking better. :) Thanks @_cjessop19_ !

Maybe just one tiny suggestion: Add a "750" in between 500 and 1000, which means level 11 will be 750 and then 1000 will be moved up to level 12 and so on. I personally think that 750 will be necessary in-between 500 and 1000 so the gaps between levels from the 3-digit values wouldn't be so "advanced" in difficulty, whereas reaching a completion of 1000 entries is already suitable for bigger gaps of 500 and that's more suitable for those 4-digit values.

It looks like the hardcapped values for now of the entry type badges would be:
TV Fan: 7000
Movie Fan: 4000
OVA Fan: 4000
Special Fan: 2500
ONA Fan: 3000
Music Fan: 2000

Oh, and don't forget to add the 750 and it should be all good. ^_^)v Thank you!
Jan 16, 2023 6:17 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
LunyRem said:
I looked at the new table and that's looking better. :) Thanks @_cjessop19_ !

Maybe just one tiny suggestion: Add a "750" in between 500 and 1000, which means level 11 will be 750 and then 1000 will be moved up to level 12 and so on. I personally think that 750 will be necessary in-between 500 and 1000 so the gaps between levels from the 3-digit values wouldn't be so "advanced" in difficulty, whereas reaching a completion of 1000 entries is already suitable for bigger gaps of 500 and that's more suitable for those 4-digit values.

It looks like the hardcapped values for now of the entry type badges would be:
TV Fan: 7000
Movie Fan: 4000
OVA Fan: 4000
Special Fan: 2500
ONA Fan: 3000
Music Fan: 2000

Oh, and don't forget to add the 750 and it should be all good. ^_^)v Thank you!

Yeah, I’ll make sure to add it when I get the chance

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Jan 21, 2023 3:08 PM
Raw Gamer

Offline
Apr 2016
46
Hey, since the most recent discussion was about badge requirements and XP, I'd like to propose my own idea. I don't know how accepted it would be since you already have the infrastructure of how the site works down, but the TL;DR is basically that I would prefer that each entry you complete gives a set XP value rather than giving you XP based on reaching a certain number of shows watched in a given category. A show would still progress every badge it falls under, but I would personally love to see the slower XP climb because once you get to Level 9 on your newly proposed image, you still literally have to double the amount of shows in one category you have watched just to get any more XP. Then you have to watch 500 more for one singular level. I love anime, but I have been watching it for nearly 8 years and am not even halfway to 500 anime watched.

An extension of this idea would include either a linear level system OR a level system where the XP between levels is smaller. A quick example on why I think this needs changed is the fact that I have completed 217 anime and I am currently level 23. The difference between me and the only user who has reached level 30 is 9536 anime. In 7 levels. Another weird thing, the user directly below him has watched 9376 more anime than him, yet he is in 2nd place just because he didn't watch the right genres or the right themes.

Idk if anyone else feels this way but although the concept of MAL-Badges is very cool it has been flawed for a very long time and I would personally love to see an entire XP rework of it. I know it's a lot to ask and I know you have a lot of stuff planned, but the last 5 levels just have a ridiculous spike in difficulty to achieve and I think more frequent dopamine hits from seeing your level go up would be a lot cooler.
Jan 21, 2023 8:17 PM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
TunesVEVO said:
Then you have to watch 500 more for one singular level. I love anime, but I have been watching it for nearly 8 years and am not even halfway to 500 anime watched.

There are many people who complete at least 500 anime in one year. Heck, I've even completed over 500 anime in one month back in 2020

Since it takes thousands of days to watch most anime in the DB, this is meant to take you years to build up, decades even (like some people have already). You're not meant to speedrun the badge system, though if you play your cards right, you can build up points quick at the start before slowing down.

If you've watched that much in 8 years, then you're definitely on the slower end of the spectrum.
TunesVEVO said:
Another weird thing, the user directly below him has watched 9376 more anime than him, yet he is in 2nd place just because he didn't watch the right genres or the right themes.

It will be completely different once we add the new badges and levels. If the guy in second place has 9376 more anime completed, then he will most likely be above him as he'll achieve more of the badge levels for anime and episodes watched.

TunesVEVO said:
the last 5 levels just have a ridiculous spike in difficulty to achieve and I think more frequent dopamine hits from seeing your level go up would be a lot cooler.

The new points system is exponential. I've purposefully designed it that way to make it harder to achieve higher level badges. If you've played any idle incremental games, then you should understand. But the more badges you increase their levels, the more points they reward you for each increasing level. They're almost exponential as well. You get rewarded for more time spent completing anime, like extra points for commitment.
TunesVEVO said:
An extension of this idea would include either a linear level system OR a level system where the XP between levels is smaller.

^^Hence why I disagree^^

The lvl 50 badge is 12M points. I've calculated that you can go well over the 12M point mark if you achieve all the badges. And let's not forget that manga will most likely double or triple the available points sometime in the future. We may have to expand the badge levels from lvl 50 to maybe 60 or 70 or even 100 if many people reach lvl 50.
_cjessop19_Jan 21, 2023 8:24 PM

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Jan 23, 2023 5:54 AM
Luny Tunes

Offline
Feb 2012
7821
Hello again.

I would like to ask how's it going with the progress of the new badges? Would it be a lot of work to release at least one brand new badge for all of us to see and use? I truly appreciate the addition of the new Isekai Fan badge which had been added last week so thank you very much for the Isekai badge.

How about you release at least one new badge every week if it would be possible? There are plenty of themes around the site in which we could see new badges of. Maybe you can choose which of the themes that don't have badges yet are also popular just like Isekai. You could release the badge for CGDCT (Cute Girls Doing Cute Things), or Reincarnation, or even for the Idols (a badge each for female & male idols). Seeing at least one new badge getting added to the site could hype it up for the users who are excited to see the growth of MAL-Badges, like I do.

I'm also curious if it's going to be possible to create a new badge for the "Music" type entry (not the Music theme) and if you're going to call the Music entry a brand new name such as...."Songs Fan", to give it a distinction from the actual Music theme/genre. Just my 2 cents but I believe more people have better ideas.

I'm aware there's a lot of work that needs to be done with the site since you might be planning to launch a major update with the main badges overhaul (up to lv50) along with the manga badges, but that's easier said than done. Therefore, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you again for all your hard work in improving the MAL-Badges website. Keep up the good work and thank you once again!
Jan 23, 2023 10:25 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
@Koito91 ^

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Jan 29, 2023 2:54 PM

Offline
Apr 2019
4434
Spelling error: "More informations concerning this badge" -> "More information concerning this badge"

Information is an uncountable word, and the form with "plural" s doesn't exist. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/information

Jan 29, 2023 7:25 PM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
inim said:
Spelling error: "More informations concerning this badge" -> "More information concerning this badge"

Information is an uncountable word, and the form with "plural" s doesn't exist. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/information


I've prepared a google doc full of all the spelling checks and stuff to be added in: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SQ2vsaUQRKlYU0jF1M2-FH8bDGL6YJnIP0-LYZxtWEU/edit?usp=sharing

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 3, 2023 2:17 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
With the queue on MB, can you add something similar to anime+ where we get a sense of where we are in the queue and/or how many people are in the queue


My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 5, 2023 7:11 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
With the new filter buttons, could you add a second All filter and move the Year badge filter (both) to the second row?

I think it would be a good idea to be able to filter each badge type filter by either displaying all at once, all the ones you've finished or the ones you haven't. This will also help when the number of total badges increase in the future.

Selecting both All filters is what's used to display all the badges at once.

Maybe add two headers titled Primary and Secondary that splits the two sets of filters into separate groups? It's the exact same premise as applying filters to our lists.

Example scenario: once we've added all the previous years back until 1960, there are 63 yearly badges. Out of those badges, I'd like to see which ones I've completed. So I'd select Completed, and then Year, and up comes all the Year badges I've finished.

What do you think?
_cjessop19_Feb 5, 2023 7:25 AM

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 9, 2023 6:01 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
In the badge rankings, do you want to make it the same as the normal rankings where people with the same no. of anime completed for each badge have the same ranking?

Example: https://www.mal-badges.com/badges/girls-love - spacecowboy and animenok would be tied 1st.

Also a bit weird how it says 5 people have seen more than 100 of those anime but only 3 people are displayed in the rankings below (probably will have changed when you next check). Can you check for any discrepancies in the Badge Ranking and Ranks section of the genre and theme badges?

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 9, 2023 5:05 PM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
Can you add Demographic to the badge filters?

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 10, 2023 2:10 PM

Offline
Mar 2018
951
_cjessop19_ said:
With the queue on MB, can you add something similar to anime+ where we get a sense of where we are in the queue and/or how many people are in the queue


Less prio but sure can do!

_cjessop19_ said:
With the new filter buttons, could you add a second All filter and move the Year badge filter (both) to the second row?

I think it would be a good idea to be able to filter each badge type filter by either displaying all at once, all the ones you've finished or the ones you haven't. This will also help when the number of total badges increase in the future.

Selecting both All filters is what's used to display all the badges at once.

Maybe add two headers titled Primary and Secondary that splits the two sets of filters into separate groups? It's the exact same premise as applying filters to our lists.

Example scenario: once we've added all the previous years back until 1960, there are 63 yearly badges. Out of those badges, I'd like to see which ones I've completed. So I'd select Completed, and then Year, and up comes all the Year badges I've finished.

What do you think?

Would need to recode it, this bit is used from the old code.

_cjessop19_ said:
In the badge rankings, do you want to make it the same as the normal rankings where people with the same no. of anime completed for each badge have the same ranking?

Example: https://www.mal-badges.com/badges/girls-love - spacecowboy and animenok would be tied 1st.

Also a bit weird how it says 5 people have seen more than 100 of those anime but only 3 people are displayed in the rankings below (probably will have changed when you next check). Can you check for any discrepancies in the Badge Ranking and Ranks section of the genre and theme badges?

Would be best yeah. Consistency is key after all.
As for 5 people but 3 are displayed, I guess those are banned users which needs to be filtered out of the statistics as the old site didn't had this function.

_cjessop19_ said:
Can you add Demographic to the badge filters?

Sure, can do!



☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Feb 11, 2023 5:22 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
@Koito91 when we add in the new points and level system, we're definitely gonna change how the points are earned for each level, right?

I believe the current system has it where each badge has a set amount of XP to earn, and not the sum of all previous levels combined. Correct? I remember I got 75/100 for the psychological fan badge, I thought I would've gained 1000 XP, but I only went from 93,000 to 93,500 at the time.

I built the new levels system based on the idea of earning additional XP on top of what you already earned - all previous levels XP combined. That's the only way to earn enough points to get to the max badge level, otherwise it would be physically impossible to do so (like it is now)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KIT0KaceKrY6AgR0m8rC2O_4ObqT4UDq3lP5Y4ZXGmY/edit?usp=sharing

There's enough room to expand the badge levels if needed, even accounting for manga badges.
_cjessop19_Feb 11, 2023 7:32 AM

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 11, 2023 7:27 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
I redid the About Us section if you want to update it



I also think we should start working towards fixing all the spelling mistakes before we add in the remaining badges.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SQ2vsaUQRKlYU0jF1M2-FH8bDGL6YJnIP0-LYZxtWEU/edit?usp=sharing

^ in the doc, will we change the entry length badges to follow the length of a season? I think it's very fitting given 52 weeks in a year can be divided into 4 x 13 episode cours.
_cjessop19_Feb 11, 2023 7:44 AM

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 11, 2023 7:39 AM

Offline
Mar 2018
951
_cjessop19_ said:
@Koito91 when we add in the new points and level system, we're definitely gonna change how the points are earned for each level, right?

I believe the current system has it where each badge has a set amount of XP to earn, and not the sum of all previous levels combined. Correct? I remember I got 75/100 for the psychological fan badge, I thought I would've gained 1000 XP, but I only went from 93,000 to 93,500 at the time.

I built the new levels system based on the idea of earning additional XP on top of what you already earned - all previous levels XP combined. That's the only way to earn enough points to get to the max badge level, otherwise it would be physically impossible to do so (like it is now)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KIT0KaceKrY6AgR0m8rC2O_4ObqT4UDq3lP5Y4ZXGmY/edit?usp=sharing

There's enough room to expand the badge levels if needed, even accounting for manga badges.

No, I'm not going to re-code that because if I do, I will re-code the whole website and scrap everything.
So what you see is what you get. At the same time it does not matter at all 'cuz there are also other ideas like Manga badges + Studio badges etc.
If I didn't secretly put the Level 30 badge to a higher condition, 2 persons at this point would already be at Level 30 with the addition of the badges.



☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Feb 11, 2023 5:24 PM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
Koito91 said:
No, I'm not going to re-code that because if I do, I will re-code the whole website and scrap everything.

Then instead of re-coding the site, will you set the maximum points earned from each badge the total of all previous levels and have each badge display the XP earned as additional XP?

(yearly badge)

Check the google doc again, I've added another row to most of the tables calculating the total points earned for the sum of each level. I've also modified some things so the points are different.
Koito91 said:
If I didn't secretly put the Level 30 badge to a higher condition, 2 persons at this point would already be at Level 30 with the addition of the badges.

Then this would be for when you add in the new badge levels.

All of what I'm asking is for when you eventually add in the new levels and points. We don't need to touch the points right now until you're ready to add in the new levels. All we would need to do when that time comes is to add in the extra levels and then set the total xp earned for each badge to the sum of whatever the cap level is, and then make the display say something along the lines of (this is the additional xp you'll earn for achieving this level) -> +100, +200, +500, etc. (points given column)

Doing quick maths right now, spacecowboy would roughly have 10-15 million XP (including missing badges), meaning he would most likely reach the pink 5 star badge.
_cjessop19_Feb 12, 2023 2:02 AM

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 12, 2023 11:53 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Offline
Aug 2014
4162
A VTuber badge is not a terrible idea, but the current implementation is not well thought out. It seems that the only contributing factor is episodes for Holo no Graffiti. Introducing badges which tracks the episodes marked for currently airing series can lead to people setting numbers beyond what it actually out if it is not being verified. If this cannot be done, I suggest removing it. Also, if you're going to track Holo no Grattifi, what about Stars*Collection, Virtual-san wa Miteiru, and the myriad of Hololive music videos? A generic VTuber badge should encompass everything which qualifies.
Feb 13, 2023 12:03 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
Kwanthemaster said:
A generic VTuber badge should encompass everything which qualifies.

I agree. There are well over 100 VTuber anime and MVs on MAL, it would be more fitting if we get points from completing them instead of a certain amount of HnG episodes (which can be abused).

When HnG gets set to completed in the DB, then it would be good to add the episodes to that badge.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 15, 2023 2:50 AM
Offline
Nov 2022
30
increase the number of levels/ranks in each achievement (like at current Anime has 6, TV has 9, ONA has 9, etc) as its a little less
Feb 15, 2023 2:56 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
WuXu said:
increase the number of levels/ranks in each achievement (like at current Anime has 6, TV has 9, ONA has 9, etc) as its a little less

All the extra levels and points have already been planned out, we'll add them in once we add in the new badge levels.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KIT0KaceKrY6AgR0m8rC2O_4ObqT4UDq3lP5Y4ZXGmY/edit?usp=sharing

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 15, 2023 3:50 PM

Offline
Jun 2021
2210
This suggestion isn't really for the site but more for the club... It would be nice if 'Club in App' is enabled.
Feb 17, 2023 6:44 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
Koito91 said:
- [Checking] Donghua badge as there are more titles like these nowadays by Nevelin

I don't see how this is feasible since Chinese series are mainly ONAs and Movies on MAL. They'd contribute mainly to those badges, and will most likely increase year after year in the future as China produces more animated series.

Unless we're planning on selecting a bunch by hand, I think we should skip out on this badge until we find a manageable solution.

Also @Koito91, do you want to update the current suggestions since it hasn't been touched since Christmas?

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 17, 2023 7:17 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
For each badge, can we add in Badge Level on the LHS of the table? When we update the levels and points in the future, it will be very handy to see what level level you are in the table, especially with badges that have 50 levels with points and requirements being displayed.


My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 19, 2023 12:39 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
We should make it so that there is a timer for how long a user is in the queue, and if Amadeus detects that someone has been stuck in the queue for maybe 12-24 hours without updating (if the queue does get emptied from time to time), then it should kick the user(s) out of the queue, allowing them to update their profile again. Otherwise, we might have examples like MechKingKillbot being stuck in the queue for days on end.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 19, 2023 3:41 AM

Offline
Mar 2018
951
IridescentJaune said:
This suggestion isn't really for the site but more for the club... It would be nice if 'Club in App' is enabled.

I don't really mind activating it, but what would be the benefit of it? x)
_cjessop19_ said:
Koito91 said:
- [Checking] Donghua badge as there are more titles like these nowadays by Nevelin

I don't see how this is feasible since Chinese series are mainly ONAs and Movies on MAL. They'd contribute mainly to those badges, and will most likely increase year after year in the future as China produces more animated series.

Unless we're planning on selecting a bunch by hand, I think we should skip out on this badge until we find a manageable solution.

Also @Koito91, do you want to update the current suggestions since it hasn't been touched since Christmas?

This is why it is in Checking status. We came far and we need to go beyond the limitations that we had before which will definitely happen. Just takes a bit of time :)
Will update the suggestions list in the first post soon-ish.

_cjessop19_ said:
For each badge, can we add in Badge Level on the LHS of the table? When we update the levels and points in the future, it will be very handy to see what level level you are in the table, especially with badges that have 50 levels with points and requirements being displayed.


The layout of this window will be changed too, so will take this with me when that happens.

_cjessop19_ said:
We should make it so that there is a timer for how long a user is in the queue, and if Amadeus detects that someone has been stuck in the queue for maybe 12-24 hours without updating (if the queue does get emptied from time to time), then it should kick the user(s) out of the queue, allowing them to update their profile again. Otherwise, we might have examples like MechKingKillbot being stuck in the queue for days on end.

Amadeus already has this kind of feature. It does some pre-checks and will try to update the profile 3 times. If it fails after the 3rd time, it will send me an e-mail with the error log and goes to the next one in the queue.



☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Feb 19, 2023 3:45 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
Koito91 said:
The layout of this window will be changed too,

I look forward to what the new design will look like.

Koito91 said:
it will send me an e-mail with the error log and goes to the next one in the queue.

Did you get the email about his profile not updating? The issue looks like it stemmed from when the site wouldn't update profiles and only allow new users to join like a few weeks ago or so.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 20, 2023 6:00 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
What are your thoughts on having an arrow and a +- number next to the ranking position to indicate growth throughout the past week? (on the LHS)

Once a week, it would update and calculate the difference in position by an up or down arrow with a number underneath (both red or green), or a gray dash to indicate no change at all.

This can be used by users to indicate whether someone has gained XP during the previous week. New users that join after won't get a mark until Amadeus scans their profile and cycles through to the next release of results. Maybe in the arrow/dash's place, we could substitute a tiny image saying NEW?

I think this would be a neat addition to the Ranking feature.

Plus I think this would be a suitable alternative to updating the ranking that's displayed on our profiles. We would know that it will update once a week.
_cjessop19_Feb 21, 2023 2:46 AM

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 22, 2023 6:29 PM
Offline
Jul 2018
564658
74 out of the 76 genres and themes that MAL has have been added now. The only ones left now are award winning and erotica. Will those ones be added in the next update?
Feb 22, 2023 7:47 PM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
KasaneTeto404 said:
74 out of the 76 genres and themes that MAL has have been added now. The only ones left now are award winning and erotica. Will those ones be added in the next update?
those 2 and the music entry type badge (current one is the genre badge)

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 27, 2023 2:33 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
@Koito91 can you add a couple of spaces between the icons and the letters in the new buttons? They look too cramped and the icons look like they're touching the actual letters.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 27, 2023 2:56 AM

Offline
Mar 2018
951
_cjessop19_ said:
@Koito91 can you add a couple of spaces between the icons and the letters in the new buttons? They look too cramped and the icons look like they're touching the actual letters.

Do CTRL + F5. It should look like this:



☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Feb 27, 2023 3:14 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
Koito91 said:
_cjessop19_ said:
@Koito91 can you add a couple of spaces between the icons and the letters in the new buttons? They look too cramped and the icons look like they're touching the actual letters.

Do CTRL + F5. It should look like this:

Ah yeah, much better now.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 28, 2023 6:35 PM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
A level 0 badge for the new badge levels


This represents people who have between 0-1000 points, as the new bronze 1 star badge will have 1000 points. So according to the statistics, 100% users will have at least achieved this badge.

Under the new system, the requirement for the lvl 1 badge for anything will reward you with 50 points, meaning it'll only take you 20 lvl 1 badges to complete, which is only 2 or 3 anime entries with different types. Super easy if you choose the right anime with many different themes and genres.

First 10 lvls:


I'm against giving out a free badge for all users, even if you haven't watched a single thing, which beats the purpose of MB (hence why I set the lvl 1 badge at 1000 points)

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Mar 1, 2023 4:55 PM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387

Could you experiment with changing the highlighted url link from green to purple? I think it's a bit hard to see where all the buttons are at the top of the page when you middle click them and they become highlighted.

I think the shade of green is too close to the shade of blue. It definitely needs more contrast to become more visible.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Mar 1, 2023 5:12 PM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
@Koito91

In the google doc, I've created 3 new pages for all the theme, genre and demographic badges with all their new levels and points (titled "all x badges").

Even if a few of the badges are maybe 5-10 or even 50-100 titles away from reaching the next level, I think we should strictly adhere to the badge levels and their requirements for each type and not adjust the level requirements in order to keep things fair and even (adjusting the level requirements without changing the points means the genre badges will be unequal in terms of points per anime per level). So if a genre has 46 titles, then we set the cap level to lvl 4 (25 anime), only to increase it to lvl 5 when the genre reaches the 50 mark. Same thing with the bigger badge levels (e.g. a badge with 3800 anime, 200 away from the next lvl).

I also think that even if some titles aren't completed or haven't aired yet, we shouldn't take them into consideration for the badges, and just include them in the total amount of each badge because they will eventually air. We should also anticipate when the Genres/Themes Overhaul Part 2 and 3 update comes out in the future, which will increase many of the capped levels.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KIT0KaceKrY6AgR0m8rC2O_4ObqT4UDq3lP5Y4ZXGmY/edit?usp=sharing
_cjessop19_Mar 1, 2023 5:58 PM

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Mar 5, 2023 3:36 AM

Offline
Mar 2020
33
I have checked out the spreadsheet and while taking a look at the "Entry lengths" section, I noticed something that may be wrong. I like the idea of basing the length of the series on the duration of seasonal cours.

Assuming that each cour has a duration of 13 episodes, the 3 Cour and 4 Cour badges have incorrect ranges. I think they should be changed as below:

3 Cour badge: 27-40 episodes ---> 27-39 episodes
4 Cour badge: 41-52 episodes ---> 40-52 episodes

Let me know what you think.

“In general, men prefer to let their actions speak instead of words. When they’re in pain, they don’t want to burden anyone with it, not if they can help it. They don’t want anyone to worry about them. That’s how they are. Even so, there may come a time when they’ll ask for your help. And when they do, I know that you’ll be there for them. Isn’t that enough?”

     — Maes Hughes
Mar 5, 2023 3:44 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
Kreidirk said:
I have checked out the spreadsheet and while taking a look at the "Entry lengths" section, I noticed something that may be wrong. I like the idea of basing the length of the series on the duration of seasonal cours.

Assuming that each cour has a duration of 13 episodes, the 3 Cour and 4 Cour badges have incorrect ranges. I think they should be changed as below:

3 Cour badge: 27-40 episodes ---> 27-39 episodes
4 Cour badge: 41-52 episodes ---> 40-52 episodes

Let me know what you think.

Fixed.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Mar 5, 2023 6:05 PM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
Abajur said:
The max level for the "Anime" badge being 5 at only 500 anime is ridiculous. Specially considering that the "Episodes" badge goes up to 10,000 episodes. That is an average of 50 episodes per anime if one would acquire both badges simultaneously. Most anime has way less than 50 episodes. There are over 50 thousand anime in MAL's database. The "Anime" badge should go, at least, up to 5000 anime, but probably 10000 (and the "Episodes" badge can go up to 100,000).

There’s actually roughly 24k anime and 63k manga in the DB.

Check the spreadsheet, I’ve planned out everything for future updates to the badges

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Mar 6, 2023 1:42 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
@Koito91 I believe we should start working towards the new entry length badges in preparation for the big update.

As a temporary stand-in until you do add in the new badge & levels, I would suggest maybe going with something like this:
Rookie Episode Fan: 1-8 episodes (Shorts badge) (old badge)
Prodigy Episode Fan: 9-13 episodes (1-cour badge) (new temporary badge)
Veteran Episode Fan: 14-26 episodes (2-cour badge) (new temporary badge)
Champion Episode Fan: 27-39 episodes (3-cour badge) (old badge)
Ultimate Episode Fan: 40-52 episodes (4-cour badge) (old badge)
Mega Episode Fan: 53+ episodes (Long badge) (old badge)

Adding in 2 new badges will only add another 3000 points to the top users if you keep all the points and levels the same for now (seeing how they're already the same for all 4 badges.)

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Mar 6, 2023 2:02 AM
Luny Tunes

Offline
Feb 2012
7821
_cjessop19_ said:
@Koito91 I believe we should start working towards the new entry length badges in preparation for the big update.

As a temporary stand-in until you do add in the new badge & levels, I would suggest maybe going with something like this:
Rookie Episode Fan: 1-8 episodes (Shorts badge) (old badge)
Prodigy Episode Fan: 9-13 episodes (1-cour badge) (new temporary badge)
Veteran Episode Fan: 14-26 episodes (2-cour badge) (new temporary badge)
Champion Episode Fan: 27-39 episodes (3-cour badge) (old badge)
Ultimate Episode Fan: 40-52 episodes (4-cour badge) (old badge)
Mega Episode Fan: 53+ episodes (Long badge) (old badge)

Adding in 2 new badges will only add another 3000 points to the top users if you keep all the points and levels the same for now (seeing how they're already the same for all 4 badges.)
I wholeheartedly support this suggestion! ;)

I honestly think that maybe it's about time we update these badges related to the number of episodes, @Koito91 , and then add those 2 temporary badges suggested by CJ. To me it looks like more and more people are requesting for some big changes with the old badges from the website. The "Rookie Episode Fan" definitely needs to be changed from "1-12 episodes" into "1-8 episodes" because this badge is heavily bloated at present. By making this adjustment, the true "1-cour anime" will be filtered out from the Rookie badge and will then appropriately transferred into its own "Prodigy Episode Fan" badge.

If the old yearly badges (1979 and older) cannot be added yet, then I believe now is a good time to start making some major changes by beginning it with the upgrade of the Episode Fan badges.

By revamping these 4 outdated badges into these 6 new upgraded badges, I'm sure there's going to be some massive changes with the rankings, which is something that I've been waiting to see. Surely, the users who have completed more of the longer anime will earn so many points immediately, and don't you want to see these big changes happen? Aren't you excited??

I personally don't mind going down the rankings at all because I know for a fact that there are dozens and dozens of users in MAL who have completed lots & lots of 2-cour, 3-cour, 4-cour, and even those longer anime. Yes, I don't mind at all. xD I don't mind. I don't......... :'D
Mar 10, 2023 5:12 PM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
@Koito91 I've finished the first set of random badge logo images. Do you want to try experimenting how well they'll look whenever you refresh the page? Maybe as time goes on and more of these images are made, maybe we can keep adding them to MB until all 720 of them are completed?

_cjessop19_ said:
Pink Purple X badges done
_cjessop19_Mar 10, 2023 11:23 PM

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Mar 10, 2023 5:18 PM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
_cjessop19_ said:

Could you experiment with changing the highlighted url link from green to purple? I think it's a bit hard to see where all the buttons are at the top of the page when you middle click them and they become highlighted.

I think the shade of green is too close to the shade of blue. It definitely needs more contrast to become more visible.

@Koito91

If you've made the update button purple when it's been activated, then I think text with links should be purple when they are selected, so that it fits nicely. Or go with black.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Mar 11, 2023 3:17 AM

Offline
Apr 2019
4434
I've edited the profile text of this club. This fixes a few typos and suggests some alternative formulations I consider to be more concise.

MAL-Badges is a website that checks your MyAnimeList Profile list of completed anime and awards you with badges and a level based on many criteria. You can display a summary badgeit on your MAL Pprofile or Ssignature!

MAL-Badges was firstly created and maintainedconceived by Jikan_, weI want to thank him for all the work on this project and for including to keep it onlinehosting it at his own expenses for many years.

As of November 2022, the service was discontinuedit got closed due to server costs. The code was provided to Koito and is now maintained by Koito and _cjessop19_ to keep the legacy going.

Mar 11, 2023 3:33 AM

Offline
Apr 2019
4434
Suggestion: Please add a sticky thread for bug reports. At least to me it's never clear where to post a bug (suggestion? support? own thread? profile comment?) and also noticed some work gets lost this way. A best practice for this is the https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1510673 thread.

Of course a real GitHub (or similar) issue tracker would be the best, but I can see how that bar is too high for casual users. Maybe Koito91 could run a more technical tracker and copy-edit postings to there? Or is that overkill?

Mar 11, 2023 5:19 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
@inim I suggested to Koito before a new and updated version of the About Us section a while ago, idk if it'll be used to replace the current one.
_cjessop19_ said:
I redid the About Us section if you want to update it


_cjessop19_Mar 11, 2023 5:25 AM

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Mar 13, 2023 1:28 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
Can you change the club description so that it says "Official club for the MAL-Badges website"?

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Mar 13, 2023 2:00 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
Can we add a 'joined' date to MB? I think we should add a "NEW" icon for users who have joined within the past 7 days - where the MAL supporter badge would be at (or next to it). Once the time on the user's profile goes past 7 days, then it will automatically be removed.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Mar 13, 2023 2:47 AM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
If you've removed the About Us section from the club description, could you make a new page on MB for the About Us?

Somewhere that we can talk about the history of the site, give credit to people who helped with contributions & developments, etc. (what I've written in another suggestion post)

An About Us button next to MAL Club button would suit the site really well.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Mar 14, 2023 6:59 PM

Offline
Nov 2018
5387
@Koito91 I've figured out how we can get accurate numbers for all the yearly badges.

On the AWCc website in their global statistics page, there's a chart at the bottom that has all the anime that aired for each year.

There are also a bunch of other stats as well, especially for the entry type badges.

In the google doc, I'll create a new page and make all the badges for 1960 all the way to 2023

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » [Feb 25] Current Status

Koito91 - Feb 21

0 by Koito91 »»
Feb 21, 11:04 PM

Sticky: » Support ( 1 2 3 4 )

Koito91 - Dec 9, 2022

181 by WuXu »»
Feb 6, 8:54 PM

» Lost/Inaccessible Media taskforce

_cjessop19_ - Jul 18, 2023

18 by IridescentJaune »»
Jul 29, 2023 9:45 PM

» Badges for specific shows considered harmful

inim - Dec 25, 2022

4 by Zevven »»
Jul 8, 2023 2:58 AM

» [CLOSED] MB homepage logo taskforce

_cjessop19_ - Mar 6, 2023

44 by Kreidirk »»
Jun 16, 2023 4:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.
Sign Up Login