Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 22, 2022 6:59 PM

Nov 2021
prefacing this by saying that anything i say after this i might accidentally spoil rebellion, so BEWARE!!!! (i'll do my best to keep spoilers under spoiler buttons anyways :P)

i am just so confused on a lot of aspects of rebellion. after watching countless theories and video essays on youtube, i just can't get to the root of this fact:

another thing i question is the use of the runes in the movie. its not really confusing to me now that i've looked up some of the translations, but the ones that freaked me out and had me all like hmmmm were homuras runes while she transformed. i watched someone break down the transformations in a youtube vides and

and lastly, i always just wondered why it had to be this way in the end with homura. i mean, her only wish in life was to be by madoka's side.
all in all, i'm overly satisfied and shocked with the closing of this film, but also hella confused lol. someone help T_T

P.S. if anyone has deets on the fourth movie, feel free to enlighten me on that cuz i am yearning for new madoka magica content

haiiii :3 i'm azza
i wanna b tha coolest avant-garde otaku EVAR!!!
Nov 22, 2022 8:01 PM
Jan 2021
I didn’t really view it as confusing. While Homura was timid in the first timeline, she is never outlined to be a good person. While she does somewhat care about the livelihood of her team, it’s mainly so that MC wouldn’t be sad.

Through the countless times of saving Madoka, Homura basically became obsessed with her and became a yandere, she dropped trying to good for Madoka and had forced Madoka to do good for her.

Basically just a yandere situation.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Nov 22, 2022 8:15 PM

Nov 2021
official_brown said:
I didn’t really view it as confusing. While Homura was timid in the first timeline, she is never outlined to be a good person. While she does somewhat care about the livelihood of her team, it’s mainly so that MC wouldn’t be sad.

Through the countless times of saving Madoka, Homura basically became obsessed with her and became a yandere, she dropped trying to good for Madoka and had forced Madoka to do good for her.

Basically just a yandere situation.

i never really assumed she was a "good person" so-to-speak, as her disregard for everyone in the last timeline before madokamis ascension left a bad taste in my mouth, but i'd assume that even though she is doing it all for madoka, wouldn't she want a reality where madoka isn't troubled? eventually,in her new world. madoka is going to realize who she is, cuz u see it literally in the last minutes of the movie. Also, i feel like the person who she was in the original timeline, admittedly timid, but originally had more care for the people in her life, even though it seemed to be undermined by her obsessive attachment to madoka, has to still be in there somewhere.

someone alluded to a theory that tied back into the piece of advice madoka's mother gave her when she was conflicted about the spiral of sayaka. "sometimes you have to do the wrong thing, or make a mistake, for the sake of someones well being" or something along the lines of that. (can't directly quote it lol). they said that the creation of homura becoming the devil was the "mistake" that homura made for madoka's well being. almost as if no one would understand the good she is apparently doing. they say this is an act of goodness because if homura hadn't rewritten the universe and forced kyubey to work under her plan, kyubey's civilization would've just staged another incident like that of rebellion all over again to try to capture madoka.

all in all,your point of homura truly becoming a yandere was something i knew, but hadn't really recognized. however, i feel like there's something running deeper than that and it's making my brain run a mile a minute right now lollll

Nov 22, 2022 11:25 PM
Sep 2021
I agree it was pretty confusing, but I think that added to the experience. The only real question I had was who and what the fuck is Bebe. I don’t remember them being in the original timeline and I didn’t get the explanation of who/what they are
Nov 22, 2022 11:27 PM

Aug 2020
koshiguruma said:
I agree it was pretty confusing, but I think that added to the experience. The only real question I had was who and what the fuck is Bebe. I don’t remember them being in the original timeline and I didn’t get the explanation of who/what they are

it's the witch that killed Mami but small version
Nov 22, 2022 11:34 PM

Nov 2021
koshiguruma said:
i loved the confusion on initial watch, but i can't still be confused while rewatching i need to get to the bottom of my questions!!!!

and yes bebe is the witch charlotte from the original series and the little girl she turns into at some point in the movie is the magical girl she used to be before she was a witch, her name was nagisa

Nov 23, 2022 7:03 AM
Jan 2022
First of all, this contains spoilers for all of madoka magica and the movie rebellion, so for any who hasn't seen it don't read this.

Okay to answer your question about Mami and kyoko, at the end of madoka magica we are sent to a new timeline with wraiths instead of witches. We also see that Sayaka dies and madoka stops her from becoming a witch. However both Mami and Kyoko are still alive, and since she is not part of madoka's group it likely just means that they are both still alive and have yet to lose hope. As to how they got there, as the cat said, those who got into the labyrinth were let in, so it's likely that when Homura got trapped the two of them went looking for her and madoka and her group went to stop her from becoming a witch, causing all of them to be trapped in Homura's labyrinth.

I don't know anything about like the runes so I can't help with that, however in terms of why things went this way that I do feel like I understand. Homura cares about madoka more than anyone, she wishes for her to be happy and safe, and while she did let Madoka sacrifice herself it was done with a heavy heart and a lot of guilt. After hearing Madoka in the movie say that she would never want to be forgotten and such, this played on her guilt for never finding a solution where madoka could be happy. This is what causes her actions to steal away the laws of cycles from Madoka and become "the devil". Now in my opinion I believe Homura knows what she's doing is wrong. Her whole "devil" person she is going by is a way to shield herself from the guilt of causing pain to so many others, in short she is disassociating in a way. She even knows she's going to have it fight them and will at one point lose, but Madoka will get to live a normal life for a while and that is what matters to her. I wouldn't say she's evil or bad, she's hurt and wishes for the person she cares for most to not have to sacrifice herself even if it was for the sake of others. Is she being selfish? yeah I'd say so, but she is no devil and no villain. Just a girl who has gone through untold pain to save one friend finally cracking
Nov 23, 2022 8:15 AM
Sep 2021
puppyblood said:
koshiguruma said:
i loved the confusion on initial watch, but i can't still be confused while rewatching i need to get to the bottom of my questions!!!!

and yes bebe is the witch charlotte from the original series and the little girl she turns into at some point in the movie is the magical girl she used to be before she was a witch, her name was nagisa

Ohhh okay that’s cool, thanks for the explanation!Do you know why she randomly switched back to a magical girl?
Nov 23, 2022 8:15 AM
Sep 2021
labcraft59 said:
koshiguruma said:

it's the witch that killed Mami but small version

Ahh bet, that’s a cool nod. Thank you
Nov 23, 2022 8:21 AM

Jun 2021
The Rebellion movie is just fanservice and it makes no sense. Some fans argue that it is even not canon (disputable) Just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist.
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Nov 23, 2022 11:04 AM

Nov 2021
Benafit said:
First of all, this contains spoilers for all of madoka magica and the movie rebellion, so for any who hasn't seen it don't read this.

Okay to answer your question about Mami and kyoko, at the end of madoka magica we are sent to a new timeline with wraiths instead of witches. We also see that Sayaka dies and madoka stops her from becoming a witch. However both Mami and Kyoko are still alive, and since she is not part of madoka's group it likely just means that they are both still alive and have yet to lose hope. As to how they got there, as the cat said, those who got into the labyrinth were let in, so it's likely that when Homura got trapped the two of them went looking for her and madoka and her group went to stop her from becoming a witch, causing all of them to be trapped in Homura's labyrinth.

I don't know anything about like the runes so I can't help with that, however in terms of why things went this way that I do feel like I understand. Homura cares about madoka more than anyone, she wishes for her to be happy and safe, and while she did let Madoka sacrifice herself it was done with a heavy heart and a lot of guilt. After hearing Madoka in the movie say that she would never want to be forgotten and such, this played on her guilt for never finding a solution where madoka could be happy. This is what causes her actions to steal away the laws of cycles from Madoka and become "the devil". Now in my opinion I believe Homura knows what she's doing is wrong. Her whole "devil" person she is going by is a way to shield herself from the guilt of causing pain to so many others, in short she is disassociating in a way. She even knows she's going to have it fight them and will at one point lose, but Madoka will get to live a normal life for a while and that is what matters to her. I wouldn't say she's evil or bad, she's hurt and wishes for the person she cares for most to not have to sacrifice herself even if it was for the sake of others. Is she being selfish? yeah I'd say so, but she is no devil and no villain. Just a girl who has gone through untold pain to save one friend finally cracking

thanks for clearing this upppp tbh i haven't watched the last episodes of madoka magica in a while, so some things were a little jaded in my memories, and i guess i totally forgot that in the new timeline mami and kyoko were alive. what you're saying about homura's dissociation is also rly true imo. thanks again

Nov 23, 2022 11:10 AM

Nov 2021
Kazu-chan-san said:
The Rebellion movie is just fanservice and it makes no sense. Some fans argue that it is even not canon (disputable) Just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist.

i wouldn't say it makes no sense. i just think it's an extension of the original plot and some people are not too happy about the plot being extended. I think it's great, as long as it wellmade. and personally, i think rebellion was the most well made piece of media in the madoka magica series. I think it's pretty amazing, and while the original series kind of lays things out for you while still keeping a lot of strong symbolism in the background, rebellion just gives you some of the bits and pieces and makes you figure shit out. You obviously can't knock the classic, but everything that madoka magic did in it's perfection, rebellion did just as well. and honestly, in a more creative way imo. but to each their own! personally, i live for this movie and would never deny it's existence, and i can't wait for the sequel of this. cuz you have to realize, madoka magica was mainly madoka's story. if we're being technical, it was really the story of homura, but with focus on madoka. by the end of the series, it's almost as if we completely disregard homura's fture- bc everyone KNOWS that homura is not okay with madoka's sacrifice. i just see this as a well-needed continuation, and eventually conclusion of homura's story.

Nov 23, 2022 2:21 PM

Sep 2021
puppyblood said:
Kazu-chan-san said:

i wouldn't say it makes no sense. i just think it's an extension of the original plot and some people are not too happy about the plot being extended. I think it's great, as long as it wellmade. and personally, i think rebellion was the most well made piece of media in the madoka magica series. I think it's pretty amazing, and while the original series kind of lays things out for you while still keeping a lot of strong symbolism in the background, rebellion just gives you some of the bits and pieces and makes you figure shit out. You obviously can't knock the classic, but everything that madoka magic did in it's perfection, rebellion did just as well. and honestly, in a more creative way imo. but to each their own! personally, i live for this movie and would never deny it's existence, and i can't wait for the sequel of this. cuz you have to realize, madoka magica was mainly madoka's story. if we're being technical, it was really the story of homura, but with focus on madoka. by the end of the series, it's almost as if we completely disregard homura's fture- bc everyone KNOWS that homura is not okay with madoka's sacrifice. i just see this as a well-needed continuation, and eventually conclusion of homura's story.

I completely agree with what you said.

Rebellion was a great extension to the franchise. I could have lived with PMMM just ending with the show (IMO it was perfect the way it was). But Rebellion really highlighted Homura's inner turmoil and struggle due to the events in the original series. It was quite fitting and in line with her character. I personally love the movie (just as much as the show).

The only time I was confused was right at the beginning of Rebellion when I watched it for the first time - I thought I was watching the original show. Other than that I thought it was quite straightforward. Perhaps room for speculation of some of the events occuring towards the end of the movie.

I literally can't wait for the next movie!
Nov 23, 2022 7:05 PM

Nov 2021
ScionOfCyan said:
puppyblood said:

personally, i think rebellion was the most well made piece of media in the madoka magica series. I think it's pretty amazing, and while the original series kind of lays things out for you while still keeping a lot of strong symbolism in the background, rebellion just gives you some of the bits and pieces and makes you figure shit out. You obviously can't knock the classic, but everything that madoka magic did in it's perfection, rebellion did just as well. and honestly, in a more creative way imo. but to each their own! personally, i live for this movie and would never deny it's existence, and i can't wait for the sequel of this. cuz you have to realize, madoka magica was mainly madoka's story. if we're being technical, it was really the story of homura, but with focus on madoka.
Sequels are tricky. Fans of the original love the characters. Seeing the characters in action again gives good vibes. This can get conflated with how good the sequel is itself. “I had a good time, it must be good.” The fan searches for reasons for it to be good and fills in the blanks with speculation.

It looks a lot like you are going through this process. You started your title by saying this show is confusing. Your gut instinct is right. Saying “rebellion gives you bits and pieces and makes you figure it out” is basically a charitable way of saying that Rebellion communicates poorly and its full message is unclear. It needs ardent fans to think up theories and explain them to others. It doesn’t stand on its own. These fans would never do that with a new creation by no-name artists. They’d just say it’s bad and move on. We give Shinbo and Urobuchi the benefit of the doubt (which, admittedly, they have earned).

Here’s the issue with Rebellion. You say it’s a Homura story and I agree with that. Unfortunately, Homura is not a narrative-carrying character. Much of her identity is about being mysterious, guarded from others, and opaque to the audience. This is fine for a side character, but not a main character. A story resonates because of possible lessons, making the reasons behind a character’s choices important. If we don’t understand where they’re coming from, we can’t mentally mirror their psychology and think about how we could emulate their beliefs or avoid their bad thought patterns. In every good story, there’s at least one character that the audience feels they can relate to or understand. Homura is not that character. Shinbo and Urobuchi don’t put in enough effort to reveal her to us. We only see her from the outside, as a mystery. She’s a source of intrigue. She’s cool. She’s a symbolic figure representing The Dark Knight’s Batman or Milton’s Satan, depending on context.

Most of Rebellion is a fever dream in the mind of Homura. The entire ‘world’ is an externalization of her interior mind. Homura’s the only ‘real’ character, and we still don’t understand her well. Then she goes and instigates a giant plot twist that I guarantee you came out of the blue for many viewers. Because we still don’t understand the way she thinks at all. This is what makes Rebellion so confusing. This is why it’s reasonable to say this story doesn’t make sense. Every good story foreshadows. I don’t mean this in the sense that there are symbols that presage every major event. I mean that the story shares the tendencies of the main character, and then that main character goes and acts according to those tendencies. So, why does Homura disregard all the other mahou shoujo who Madoka could save? Is it contempt? Arrogance? Simple-mindedness? Ambition? Is she like Light with the Death Note? Is she more like Sayaka, who believes she is doing good, and is motivated by a desire to save? We have no clue. We have barely any idea what Homura thinks about the world, life, existence in general. It’s good to compare with these other characters (Light, Sayaka). They show you that a good story gives us something to connect with and an identity to relate to the actions. Homura’s pretty much a force of nature here. *That’s* what makes it confusing. We latch onto trajectories of characters, and if we don’t understand the main character well, the trajectory is random, for all we can tell.

“I desperately want to be with Madoka” is brutally insufficient characterization for a centerpiece. I see Rebellion fans try to expand on this one-sentence description, fill in the blanks of Homura’s belief system and thought process with their own speculations. It’s mostly stuff that isn’t in Madoka Magica or Rebellion itself. With good characters like Sayaka or Light or Kamina you don’t have to ‘figure out’ where they stand or how they feel about the world. The story works hard to make damn sure you understand the way they see the world inside and out, because it’s a crucially important step in a story. I can imagine 4 or 5 or 6 different reasons why Homura might regard all those other people as not worth saving.

Most tacked-on sequels aren’t good and Rebellion is no exception. But I don’t begrudge people their enjoyment of it. If you had fun, that’s good 😊

i see where you're coming from with this, but i wouldn't say that the movie was communicated poorly. If that was the case, you could say that for the original series. there's plenty of things that were left in the dark initially and had to be figured out by the watchers. i think that's one of the charms of the franchise, for me anyways. i like having to think hard about what's at hand when i'm watching something. i didn't make this thread out of anger or frustration with the confusion i have after watching rebellion, but moreso out of the urge to be able to talk about my uncertainties about the movies substance with other people. it's this kind of feeling that makes the movie so great to me. i love when media leaves things up for interpretation. i'm sure that urobutchi and shinbo could've written this story as straight up as possible, if that's what they wanted, but it;'s clear they didn't. i don't think the movie's (intentional, imo) confusion can be chalked up to just the fact that it wasn't communicated well. personally, i think thats what madoka magica has always been about.

and as for homura being relatable, i don't find anyone in the show completely relatable as a character. i just feel like every struggle of every character can be related to, to a certain degree. portions of every character, from homura to kyoko, can be related to in some way. homura's obsessive yearning for madoka is definitely relatable to some, the feeling of wanting someone so bad but no matter what you do, even if you're leaping through time, you can't have them. but this isn't some slice-of-life mahou shoujo anime. this is complete fantasy. with that being said, a lot of the characters relatability is lost in the character, because of how unrealistic everything in the show is. like, you can't apply homura's actions to those in real life, because she's literally a time travelling magica girl who turns into the devil herself.

personally, if anyone didn't have relatability or substance, i'd say it's madoka. she's placed on a pedestal from the beginning if the show, and her internal conflicts goes only as far as 'i want to help everyone, but i feel like i'm worthless'. not saying that isn't enough to relate to, but she has barely any character development throughout the entire show, and movie. there is always going to be an element of mystery with homura, but i feel like at this point, homura feels like less of a mystery, because of how used to her the audience is. i mean, we know her backstory, we know her basic intentions, why do we really need to know anything more than that? at least, explicitly? i feel like everything about homura that has been laid out in the show and the movie is enough for me. we know her motivation. i guess madoka magica is really turning into more of a yandere story, as someone alluded to earlier. i feel like that's the closest trope you could pin her to. but madoka magica isn't a common 'pin to the tropes' type of anime. and i guess that's why i don't find this to be so unfulfilling, because of how uniquely presented her character is. and how the paradigm of a main character is completely shifted with her.

but yes! i did enjoy this movie very much. and it's fine to me that you maybe didn't enjoy it as much as me. again, to each their own! :)

Dec 5, 2022 12:08 AM

Jul 2017
puppyblood said:
and lastly, i always just wondered why it had to be this way in the end with homura. i mean, her only wish in life was to be by madoka's side.

By the end of the anime
At the end of the day, i think rebellion and the character of homura are so hard to understand because they hold a lot of non-western influences/doctrines and require a type of sensibility aliene to the normal viewer(me included), but at the same time is one of the few anime to this day that can still create these type of discussions and be still so controversial in the fandom, and i think this is a factor to count when someone tries to make a point against it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.