Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 18, 2022 10:09 PM
Oct 2020
why johan is so overrated? i dont get it, like everyone praising him like a god but i dont get it yes we know johan is so smart but we dont see know anything about him yes he is the one who rob the bank yes he is the one who manipulates everyone yes he is the one who knows every single detail about every character, but we dont even see him when he doing these things? let me give an example; kira he is one of the best villian in the whole anime series we know he is manipulative and smart cause were watching him while doing these things so we can praise him like that but we dont see anything about johan, he is the one who always in the center of the topic but we dont dont see anything about it everyone calls him a mega mind but there is nothing that makes him mega mind? johan robs the bank "yeah he is so smart he can do it" I DONT GET IT
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Oct 18, 2022 10:25 PM
Aug 2021
Who says Johan is overrated? If anyone who is overrated it's ayanokouji from classroom of elite. First you need to explain me how Johan is overrated, then I'll answer your questions.
Oct 18, 2022 10:30 PM
Oct 2019
LIVI___ said:
Who says Johan is overrated? If anyone who is overrated it's ayanokouji from classroom of elite. First you need to explain me how Johan is overrated, then I'll answer your questions.

Can you not read he literally just explained his reasoning and who was even talking about ayanokouji
Oct 18, 2022 10:39 PM
Nov 2017
i think what makes johan really good as character is the fact how realistic the series is. the possibility that the stuff that johan does could be done in real life makes it really scary and just makes johan a great character.

there's good answers in this thread:
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Johan-Liebert-considered-to-be-the-best-villain-in-anime-ever
Oct 18, 2022 10:56 PM
Feb 2022
chains607 said:
why johan is so overrated? i dont get it, like everyone praising him like a god but i dont get it yes we know johan is so smart but we dont see know anything about him yes he is the one who rob the bank yes he is the one who manipulates everyone yes he is the one who knows every single detail about every character, but we dont even see him when he doing these things? let me give an example; kira he is one of the best villian in the whole anime series we know he is manipulative and smart cause were watching him while doing these things so we can praise him like that but we dont see anything about johan, he is the one who always in the center of the topic but we dont dont see anything about it everyone calls him a mega mind but there is nothing that makes him mega mind? johan robs the bank "yeah he is so smart he can do it" I DONT GET IT

you don't get it do you? I mean this show isn't like Death Note it's adult cast series you need to know different between these two first . . . in shonens they explain their every single move so that kids like not will create threads asking everything but adults can easily understand what happened with slight info . . .
El_Professor07Oct 19, 2022 12:37 AM
Oct 18, 2022 11:03 PM

Aug 2022
Because most of the monster fans or seinen fans in general are NPC. They have sheep mindset, they reapeat the same lie which they read on reddit or quora (example the guy who posted quora link). "muh monster is deep, philosophical, Johan is realistic....yada yada...." They don't even understand a character such as Johan can't be realistic

Okay zoomer...how about you read this: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Johan-Liebert-considered-to-be-the-best-villain-in-anime-ever/answer/Erwin-224?ch=15&oid=262362675&share=cda1518e&target_type=answer
DaOnePieceIsRealOct 18, 2022 11:07 PM
Oct 18, 2022 11:14 PM
Dec 2021
Remember that monster is a seinen series and death note is a shounen. Now in death note trash, they show every single thing detailed. Overdetail if that's a word. Light was sooo smart as a 17 year old boy that outsmarts the greatest detective in the whole world and then loses to a literal kid. Now fans be like "oh yeah it's cuz light underestimated him and that's why he made a mistake". But isn't he supposed to be a freakin master mind or somethin? If he was that smart then he wouldn't have underestimated him in the first place. Major flaw.

Remember light is a protagonist and johan is an antagonist. Death note's storytelling is from light's pov because he's the protagonist that's why everything he does is shown from his perspective. Meanwhile johan is an antagonist. Monster's story is told from tenma's pov. Johan was a mysterious character from the start and an amazing antagonist. The whole point of monster is not about how smart johan is nor how he manipulates people. Monster was about equality. Tenma believed in equality while johan believes that "the only things humans are equal in is death itself". Johan created a monster in himself and tenma killed that monster inside him in the end. From my interpretation, monster's message is that "you don't have to become a monster to defeat one". Amazing if i say so myself.

Johan is an amazing antagonist and the perfect antagonist in a murder mystery story. Even though i like meruem and griffith more than him, he's still easily one of the greatest antagonist in fiction history.

And that thing when you said that light is one of the greatest villain in anime is not true. He's a poorly written character. Only edgy kids like him. His writing has countless flaws and he's a bad anit-hero. Kiritsugu is a way better anti-hero than light.

Hope you understood. I'm seriously not gonna reply to you no matter what you say. Just got home from school and I'm tired.
Oct 18, 2022 11:49 PM
Feb 2021
chains607 said:

bro onto smth
have u even seen monster
Oct 18, 2022 11:56 PM
Mar 2021
Because he is a complex and naunced character. Watch some vids on yt explaining him. Particularly, “monster ending explained” or something along those lines
Oct 18, 2022 11:57 PM
Mar 2021
And this isn’t a shonan. Guy being badass and manipulating poeple doesn’t equal good and complex villian
Oct 19, 2022 12:44 AM
Apr 2022
chains607 said:

i think that is because he is meant to be seen as a monster and not a simple character. we don't always see how he does everything which makes him more scary. johan works because we don't know how his mind works. the fear of unknown is the Greatest fear of all i suppose. kira is smart but you can understand him. how he thinks and how he acts are understandable. johan works because he is not human, he is a monster that can not be understood. i like both kira and johan. i don't understand johan either but that is what makes his character great.
s0me0ne0nMALOct 19, 2022 12:49 AM
Oct 19, 2022 12:46 AM
Oct 2020
s0me0ne0nMAL said:
chains607 said:

i think that is because he is not meant to be seen as a monster and not a simple character. we don't always see how he does everything which makes him more scary. johan works because we don't know how his mind works. the fear of unknown is the Greatest fear of all i suppose. kira is smart but you can understand him. how he thinks and how he acts are understandable. johan works because he is not human, he is a monster that can not be understood. i like both kira and johan. i don't understand johan either but that is what makes his character great.

only relatable answer, thank you
Oct 19, 2022 12:49 AM

Jan 2013
To put it simply, I think the real problem here is that you watch too much shounen.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 19, 2022 12:50 AM
Jul 2019
Deep and nihilistic lines bro bro

Oct 19, 2022 12:51 AM
Oct 2020
Johan is a concept not a character. The reason why Johan is terrifying isn't because he's some criminal mastermind who pulls massive power moves, he's terrifying because he's the embodiment of apathy, psychopathy, and the most dangerous aspects of nihilism. The reason why Johan attracts the followers he does is because he is a dangerous ideology that the most dangerous people adapt. If you understand what he is then you understand why he's great.
Oct 19, 2022 12:53 AM
Apr 2022
Burnt_Ramen said:
Johan is a concept not a character. The reason why Johan is terrifying isn't because he's some criminal mastermind who pulls massive power moves, he's terrifying because he's the embodiment of apathy, psychopathy, and the most dangerous aspects of nihilism. The reason why Johan attracts the followers he does is because he is a dangerous ideology that the most dangerous people adapt. If you understand what he is then you understand why he's great.

exactly! johan is my favourite not because he is the smartest but because he is the scariest.
Oct 19, 2022 1:11 AM
Apr 2022
Farhan_Muhib_ said:
Remember that monster is a seinen series and death note is a shounen. Now in death note trash, they show every single thing detailed. Overdetail if that's a word. Light was sooo smart as a 17 year old boy that outsmarts the greatest detective in the whole world and then loses to a literal kid. Now fans be like "oh yeah it's cuz light underestimated him and that's why he made a mistake". But isn't he supposed to be a freakin master mind or somethin? If he was that smart then he wouldn't have underestimated him in the first place. Major flaw.

Remember light is a protagonist and johan is an antagonist. Death note's storytelling is from light's pov because he's the protagonist that's why everything he does is shown from his perspective. Meanwhile johan is an antagonist. Monster's story is told from tenma's pov. Johan was a mysterious character from the start and an amazing antagonist. The whole point of monster is not about how smart johan is nor how he manipulates people. Monster was about equality. Tenma believed in equality while johan believes that "the only things humans are equal in is death itself". Johan created a monster in himself and tenma killed that monster inside him in the end. From my interpretation, monster's message is that "you don't have to become a monster to defeat one". Amazing if i say so myself.

Johan is an amazing antagonist and the perfect antagonist in a murder mystery story. Even though i like meruem and griffith more than him, he's still easily one of the greatest antagonist in fiction history.

And that thing when you said that light is one of the greatest villain in anime is not true. He's a poorly written character. Only edgy kids like him. His writing has countless flaws and he's a bad anit-hero. Kiritsugu is a way better anti-hero than light.

Hope you understood. I'm seriously not gonna reply to you no matter what you say. Just got home from school and I'm tired.

well i disagree. deathnote is great because it is not a story about a 17 year old boy fighting with the world's greatest detective, but a story about a man fighting a god. and near didn't defeat light but it was L who beat light. and the protagonist and antagonist thing is all about perspective. both light and L are protagonist and antagonists at the same time. it is you who chooses which side to follow. the choice is simple who do you think is right, a god or a man.
Oct 19, 2022 1:16 AM
Jan 2021
chains607 said:

Kira is no where near one of the best villains đź’€ he’s not even the best character with the name Kira
Oct 19, 2022 2:22 AM

Aug 2020
Mate, you don't go and say "pizza sucks bcoz it's not like hamburger". The same with anime. To each their own ways. "X" DOESN'T HAVE to be like "Y" or vice versa.
Oct 19, 2022 3:04 AM

Oct 2015
Ahmed_Elheddaji said:
i think what makes johan really good as character is the fact how realistic the series is. the possibility that the stuff that johan does could be done in real life makes it really scary and just makes johan a great character.

there's good answers in this thread:
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Johan-Liebert-considered-to-be-the-best-villain-in-anime-ever

I disagree with that Quora post. To me, to be a great villain, he/she needs to have the following:
1) Intimidating enough to make the audience doubt the protagonist can beat him/her.
2) Have a great background story to understand how he/she becomes a villain.
3) Has a motive strong enough that the audience can consider rooting for the villain instead of the protagonist.

Johan fails at No3.

I will list a few antagonists I like more than Johan.
Haman Karn (Gundam Zeta/ZZ)
Suwon (Yona Of The Dawn)
Char Aznable (MSG, Zeta, CCA)
There are reasons why many old school anime fans call Char Aznable the greatest antagonist in anime history and Amuro/Char one of the greatest rivalries in fiction.
NewestPersonHereOct 19, 2022 3:10 AM
Oct 19, 2022 3:29 AM

Oct 2021
He's overrated but not because his actions aren't shown. That's done on purpose because he's presented as a monster with an almost supernatural presence. Everything we hear about him is through people who truly believe he's a monster.

What makes him overrated is the fact that people think he can manipulate anyone and everyone. He just targets vulnerable people like that recovering alcoholic guy on the rooftop. Also, for a character considered to be "realistic", a lot of his actions are highly implausible
Oct 19, 2022 3:46 AM

May 2022
yeah, thats the whole reason for people liking him. throughout the series, even though we dont see him doing something or even see him in person, he still creates a decent amount of suspense around every event.
dont get me wrong, i do think that he is a bit overrated as "best villain ever" (do mind that he didnt even get to my favs), but my man definitely has some moves. the thing is, he doesnt even have to appear on the screen to be a fucking menace, hanging over everything, that is happening.
his image and behaviour are fearsome, his actions are perfectly calculated, its hard guessing what he got in his head. what else does one need to like him?
Oct 19, 2022 6:29 AM
Nov 2021
that's one of the things that makes Monster so interesting because unlike other series you don't see every move the antagonist makes or is going to make and that makes you be in the same position as the mc. you're always guessing what might happen and when you find you go like "oooh right so he was the cause" or things like that
and because of his complex character it makes understanding him even nore intresting.
Oct 19, 2022 7:34 AM
Aug 2022
well , about this topic i think johan is rated that way for being manipulative. yes he was smart but his manipulative and intuitive feats were the main thing of the show . so that's why the smart moments as shown in death note isn't present in monster. In death note, light's strategic and intelligent moments were the main thing while johan shows manipulative and deceptive feats . but comparing both it is natural to believe that johan's feat can outsmart most smart characters. that's why he too is considered smart
Oct 19, 2022 8:06 AM
Dec 2020
Burnt_Ramen said:

Perfectly said. For me, Johan is the perfect embodiment of evil and this show had me on edge because of the dialogue itself. Johan is so well-written/hyped and his influence on other characters is so dangerous that they even compared him to Hitler at one point! Johan is NOT overrated whatsoever.
Oct 19, 2022 8:18 AM
Mar 2012
El_Professor07 said:
chains607 said:

you don't get it do you? I mean this show isn't like Death Note it's adult cast series you need to know different between these two first . . . in shonens they explain their every single move so that kids like not will create threads asking everything but adults can easily understand what happened with slight info . . .

and Light was the protagonist in Death Note.
Johan is the primary antagonist in Monster.
Oct 19, 2022 9:02 AM
Mar 2019
I found him sufficiently cringe.
Oct 19, 2022 12:02 PM
Aug 2022
chains607 said:

I think that johan is overrated to. When I watched the show I was at the same time really hyped and confused. There was a lot of teasing about him, so I thought the end would explain everything, but no.
I don't get what's his goal. is it erasing his past? or something else? (if someone knows pls tell me)
For me there's 2 reasons for this miss:
1- the author wanted to keep this mysterious/ intimidating aura until the end, so he didn't say enough.
2-The main character is Tenma, he was a well developed chara, and the scene where he operates johan again was one of my favorites. So Johan was probably a "tool" to change Tenma's vision of life. To help him grow from a naive guy who just did what he was told to, to a men that thinks by himself and will place his convictions over wealth and popularity
Oct 19, 2022 12:03 PM
Aug 2022
chains607 said:

I think that johan is overrated to. When I watched the show I was at the same time really hyped and confused. There was a lot of teasing about him, so I thought the end would explain everything, but no.
I don't get what's his goal. is it erasing his past? or something else? (if someone knows pls tell me)
1- the author wanted to keep this mysterious/ intimidating aura until the end, so he didn't say enough.
2-The main character is Tenma, he was a well developed chara, and the scene where he operates johan again was one of my favorites. So Johan was probably a "tool" to change Tenma's vision of life. To help him grow from a naive guy who just did what he was told to, to a men that thinks by himself and will place his convictions over wealth and popularity
Oct 19, 2022 12:03 PM
Aug 2022
chains607 said:

Oct 19, 2022 3:28 PM
Dec 2018
DeOnePieceIsReal said:
Because most of the monster fans or seinen fans in general are NPC. They have sheep mindset, they reapeat the same lie which they read on reddit or quora (example the guy who posted quora link). "muh monster is deep, philosophical, Johan is realistic....yada yada...." They don't even understand a character such as Johan can't be realistic

Okay zoomer...how about you read this: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Johan-Liebert-considered-to-be-the-best-villain-in-anime-ever/answer/Erwin-224?ch=15&oid=262362675&share=cda1518e&target_type=answer

One piece is booty but I totally agree with u on ur take brođź’Ż
Oct 19, 2022 3:29 PM

Aug 2020
chains607 said:

Because weebs are fascinated about mystery, even if the whole character writing is pointless and surrounded by a fake philosophical mist.

Most pointless and meaningless villain ever. His whole plan was a result of him being manipulated by nazis, therefore he never had free will to do the things he does in the storyline.

But hey, he points his index to his head and has a soothing and mysterious voice! So nice and exciting!

Oct 19, 2022 3:30 PM
Dec 2018
chains607 said:

Just look at my profile and read/watch good manga don’t bother with all this MAL hype shit
Oct 19, 2022 3:45 PM

Aug 2020
Overthinking pointlessness is the real deal.

Oct 19, 2022 9:37 PM
Feb 2022
chains607 said:

the difference between light and johan is that light is the mc of his verse, johan isnt
so obviously they arent gonna show him doing everything
whenever tenma thinks of something, johan has already acted upon that and won, that makes him scary and smart
Oct 20, 2022 7:40 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Thread locked for not encouraging meaningful discussion.

Anime/Manga Discussion Rules 2. Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. Examples include:

g. categorizing generalized opinions as popular/unpopular
e.g. Why does everyone like/hate ___, Why is studio ___ so hated, Post your unpopular opinion about ___, etc.
These threads are designed to assign people into black/white categories which then instigate wars between each "side". Either use the overrated/underrated thread or think carefully about what it is you want to discuss and avoid generalizing.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

627 by wibugar »»
May 9, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 73 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

173 by ArtirSachi »»
May 6, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

105 by puffle9000 »»
May 2, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

149 by tectacles »»
May 2, 6:40 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

152 by tectacles »»
May 1, 8:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.