Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2022 12:43 AM

Dec 2009
C1 (3/10), C2 (4/10), C3 (6/10), C4 (5/10), C5 (7/10), C6 (5/10), C7 (3/10), C8 (4/10), C9 (5/10), C10 (6/10), C11 (4/10), C12 (5/10).

Overall, 5/10.

Aside from this, I've read Fuyumushi's One-Shots and My Mother and Older Sister which are her only translated works.
Out of all of them, My Mother and Older Sister is her best work. The One-Shot (1st Chapter) alone is great.

Although I don't comprehend some of these short stories, I can at least sense the intent of what I think is the message, but as short stories, few of them own full depth of insight to what exactly the story and message/theme is.
Nonetheless, her style of psychological internal issues combined with a unique style of horror or fantasy is pleasing to read, even if they're flawed or lack clarity.

Some of the brief very short stories are odd, yet have an interesting depiction of hidden hate or jealousy.
In the first chapter, one girl always shares candy to the other, while the taker secretly dislikes it, as well as the giver, but out of hate or courtesy they always repeat this exchange, I guess.
In Leaving Home, as two girls say they farewells, the one leaving open's her friend's letter... which read "die". As if she always detested her even while putting a cheerful face while saying goodbye.
... A Tender Casket has Mayu's gorgeous "best friend" Saki die, coming back to life as a supposed goo that's decomposing in Mayu's room. Until she's later found hatched as a butterfly which she admired as a child unlike Mayu who found the hatching process disgusting.
Jealous Mayu was happy that the beautiful Saki was dead, but spite would keep Saki alive and even more beautiful now as a human with butterfly wings.
Then there's Much as I Love You of a beautiful girl getting a papercut, and a sweet but ugly girl offering a bandaid. Staring at her, the beautiful one tells her "You're ugly."
Which is easy to interpret accordingly as a display of beauty on the inside versus beauty on the outside. Except, I first thought it as- No matter the action of kindness received, others could remain disgusting as people.

The rest of those stories explained above have a interesting plots connected with hate/jealousy which are fairly entertaining.
I wish 'Bad Candy You Give Me' and 'Leaving Home' had more depth, but they're fine for leaving a lot of personal imagination. 'A Tender Casket' was decent, but the last scene is very captivating for how unique the ending is, with Saki naked as a human-butterfly.

The better written stories would be; 'Mother and Sister' and 'Spring Pupa', but Mother and Sister is undebatably the best overall in quality.
Some of the obscure stories are weird or somewhat uniquely entertaining.

Tidal Force, I don't understand, so I'm not sure what to say about it. Nor do I understand the final message of Swimming Flowers, but it's fairly good.
Aside from 'Mother and Sister' being my top favorite, my other favorites are; Survival of the Fittest, Sets in the West, Goodbye, and A Tender Casket.

Most were quite entertaining one way or another.
The care and feeding for a friend turned fish in 'Survival of the Fittest', to then the fear of being eaten by her, resulting in an attempt to kill her, leading to her own death, while her teacher was secretly also a killing-mermaid... 'pretty cool.
'Goodbye' I don't know what to make of, but a random drawn black box in the girl's desk, erasing the world around her but herself when she erases the desk drawing on her desk clean is fascinating. The curiosity and wish to disappear but not doing so in then as she wonders why is very captivating.
'Sets in the West' is bizarre in wondering what the why is, but an endless cycle loop of killing yourself as the killer and the killed wishing to be the only you is interesting.

Mother and Sister is great for how it depicts an older sister who was raised strictly by her now deceased mother, unlike the little sister who wasn't forced on that responsibility of the mother's standards, slowly realizing she's somewhat turned into her mother for being as serious and responsible as her with the ideals she's grown with against her little sister who freely enjoys her life with success.
The full story out of this first chapter/one-shot of Mother and Sister is a little disappointing and not as great overall, but it's very good nonetheless. Again, the first chapter alone is great.

Finally, I thought 'Spring Pupa' was decent.
A female friend who seemingly loves the other romantically, or simply depends on her out of loneliness and wants to stay together turns into a tree in the forest before she can successfully stop her friend from moving out. Except, years later as an old woman, the friend visits her now turned tree friend.

I like Kaiko Fuyumushi's stories. She's kinda great and has a lot of potential.
I wish her other works would get translated.
Nov 15, 2023 1:17 PM
Apr 2019
Reply to waalex11
C1 (3/10), C2 (4/10), C3 (6/10), C4 (5/10), C5 (7/10), C6 (5/10), C7 (3/10), C8 (4/10), C9 (5/10), C10 (6/10), C11 (4/10), C12 (5/10).

Overall, 5/10.

Aside from this, I've read Fuyumushi's One-Shots and My Mother and Older Sister which are her only translated works.
Out of all of them, My Mother and Older Sister is her best work. The One-Shot (1st Chapter) alone is great.

Although I don't comprehend some of these short stories, I can at least sense the intent of what I think is the message, but as short stories, few of them own full depth of insight to what exactly the story and message/theme is.
Nonetheless, her style of psychological internal issues combined with a unique style of horror or fantasy is pleasing to read, even if they're flawed or lack clarity.

Some of the brief very short stories are odd, yet have an interesting depiction of hidden hate or jealousy.
In the first chapter, one girl always shares candy to the other, while the taker secretly dislikes it, as well as the giver, but out of hate or courtesy they always repeat this exchange, I guess.
In Leaving Home, as two girls say they farewells, the one leaving open's her friend's letter... which read "die". As if she always detested her even while putting a cheerful face while saying goodbye.
... A Tender Casket has Mayu's gorgeous "best friend" Saki die, coming back to life as a supposed goo that's decomposing in Mayu's room. Until she's later found hatched as a butterfly which she admired as a child unlike Mayu who found the hatching process disgusting.
Jealous Mayu was happy that the beautiful Saki was dead, but spite would keep Saki alive and even more beautiful now as a human with butterfly wings.
Then there's Much as I Love You of a beautiful girl getting a papercut, and a sweet but ugly girl offering a bandaid. Staring at her, the beautiful one tells her "You're ugly."
Which is easy to interpret accordingly as a display of beauty on the inside versus beauty on the outside. Except, I first thought it as- No matter the action of kindness received, others could remain disgusting as people.

The rest of those stories explained above have a interesting plots connected with hate/jealousy which are fairly entertaining.
I wish 'Bad Candy You Give Me' and 'Leaving Home' had more depth, but they're fine for leaving a lot of personal imagination. 'A Tender Casket' was decent, but the last scene is very captivating for how unique the ending is, with Saki naked as a human-butterfly.

The better written stories would be; 'Mother and Sister' and 'Spring Pupa', but Mother and Sister is undebatably the best overall in quality.
Some of the obscure stories are weird or somewhat uniquely entertaining.

Tidal Force, I don't understand, so I'm not sure what to say about it. Nor do I understand the final message of Swimming Flowers, but it's fairly good.
Aside from 'Mother and Sister' being my top favorite, my other favorites are; Survival of the Fittest, Sets in the West, Goodbye, and A Tender Casket.

Most were quite entertaining one way or another.
The care and feeding for a friend turned fish in 'Survival of the Fittest', to then the fear of being eaten by her, resulting in an attempt to kill her, leading to her own death, while her teacher was secretly also a killing-mermaid... 'pretty cool.
'Goodbye' I don't know what to make of, but a random drawn black box in the girl's desk, erasing the world around her but herself when she erases the desk drawing on her desk clean is fascinating. The curiosity and wish to disappear but not doing so in then as she wonders why is very captivating.
'Sets in the West' is bizarre in wondering what the why is, but an endless cycle loop of killing yourself as the killer and the killed wishing to be the only you is interesting.

Mother and Sister is great for how it depicts an older sister who was raised strictly by her now deceased mother, unlike the little sister who wasn't forced on that responsibility of the mother's standards, slowly realizing she's somewhat turned into her mother for being as serious and responsible as her with the ideals she's grown with against her little sister who freely enjoys her life with success.
The full story out of this first chapter/one-shot of Mother and Sister is a little disappointing and not as great overall, but it's very good nonetheless. Again, the first chapter alone is great.

Finally, I thought 'Spring Pupa' was decent.
A female friend who seemingly loves the other romantically, or simply depends on her out of loneliness and wants to stay together turns into a tree in the forest before she can successfully stop her friend from moving out. Except, years later as an old woman, the friend visits her now turned tree friend.

I like Kaiko Fuyumushi's stories. She's kinda great and has a lot of potential.
I wish her other works would get translated.
@waalex11 tysm!this put alot into prespective
Nov 15, 2023 1:29 PM

Dec 2009
Reply to AntonioSilva
@waalex11 tysm!this put alot into prespective
@AntonioSilva
My pleasure!

More topics from this board

» Your favorite short story?

Avvenirista - May 12, 2021

3 by Avvenirista »»
Jan 18, 2023 12:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.