Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Real Girl
Available on Manga Store
New
Is the 3D Kanojo: Real Girl anime actually a satire?
Sep 12, 2022 5:55 PM

Sep 2022
I absolutely hated this series and couldn't make it past the first episode until someone suggested I should instead view it like an absurdist comedy that satirizes all the typical shitty shoujo romance tropes and to not take any of it seriously.

When I approached it like this, all the stupid, irritating, nonsensical character behaviors and story developments suddenly made a lot more sense and I was laughing my ass off. For example:

It's easy to miss this aspect of the comedy because it is subtle and forfeits many of the normal elements one might expect would be present to cue the viewer to the irony on display. Meanwhile, there is no shortage of much more salient comedic cues that mislead one into thinking the show has nothing else to offer in the way of humor beyond generally unfunny, standard issue rom-com jokes.

It's cruel, really, how the author/director (not sure who bears responsibility here) makes us suffer for not being patient and/or sophisticated enough to recognize the subtlety at work on the first pass. But now that I have, I'm glad I gave it another shot and recommend anyone who has struggled with this series to do the same.

Now, I haven't yet finished this series (just 4 episodes in) so I'll freely admit it's possible that I'm way off the mark here and am giving this work far more credit than it deserves - and all this hidden satire I and others are perceiving is just a product of our desperate imaginations.

Also, I'm not familiar with the source material, so maybe the manga was indeed an earnest and forthright attempt by the author to portray a legitimate romance. But it seems at least the anime adaptation has made a deliberate point of being ironic under-the-radar.

So, what do you all think? Is 3D Kanojo: Real Girl just a conventional shoujo romcom, or does it subtly and cleverly satirize the genre and its numerous clichés?
normie-samaSep 12, 2022 6:08 PM
Sep 12, 2022 6:56 PM
Feb 2021
normie-sama said:
I absolutely hated this series and couldn't make it past the first episode until someone suggested I should instead view it like an absurdist comedy that satirizes all the typical shitty shoujo romance tropes and to not take any of it seriously.

When I approached it like this, all the stupid, irritating, nonsensical character behaviors and story developments suddenly made a lot more sense and I was laughing my ass off. For example:

It's easy to miss this aspect of the comedy because it is subtle and forfeits many of the normal elements one might expect would be present to cue the viewer to the irony on display. Meanwhile, there is no shortage of much more salient comedic cues that mislead one into thinking the show has nothing else to offer in the way of humor beyond generally unfunny, standard issue rom-com jokes.

It's cruel, really, how the author/director (not sure who bears responsibility here) makes us suffer for not being patient and/or sophisticated enough to recognize the subtlety at work on the first pass. But now that I have, I'm glad I gave it another shot and recommend anyone who has struggled with this series to do the same.

Now, I haven't yet finished this series (just 4 episodes in) so I'll freely admit it's possible that I'm way off the mark here and am giving this work far more credit than it deserves - and all this hidden satire I and others are perceiving is just a product of our desperate imaginations.

Also, I'm not familiar with the source material, so maybe the manga was indeed an earnest and forthright attempt by the author to portray a legitimate romance. But it seems at least the anime adaptation has made a deliberate point of being ironic under-the-radar.

So, what do you all think? Is 3D Kanojo: Real Girl just a conventional shoujo romcom, or does it subtly and cleverly satirize the genre and its numerous clichés?

as you haven't finished it as you said you're only 4 episodes in, ill just tell you that you're way way off the mark, it does get serious later on
Sep 12, 2022 8:22 PM
Aug 2021
normie-sama said:

People like them like to cry like a bitch about how they hated that particular series but still goes on to watch it..I mean do they even have brain cells? i guess their genetics are pretty bad
Sep 12, 2022 8:40 PM

Jun 2022
This anime has 2 seasons and just what you said, youre just not even halfway thru the first season. There are some unnecessary and hard to watch episodes on both season, that is true but it is largely better all thru out.

The last few episodes and the ending are what carries this anime much like most romance animes.

Sep 12, 2022 9:53 PM
Jun 2020
Aesethyr said:
This anime has 2 seasons and just what you said, youre just not even halfway thru the first season. There are some unnecessary and hard to watch episodes on both season, that is true but it is largely better all thru out.

The last few episodes and the ending are what carries this anime much like most romance animes.

If I remember correctly the ending was trash (or maybe that was the manga I read) I don’t remember. What I do remember is that it felt extremely rushed to conclude the story and a lot of the stuff didn’t make any sense.
Sep 12, 2022 9:59 PM

Jun 2022
Cross_2D said:
Aesethyr said:

If I remember correctly the ending was trash (or maybe that was the manga I read) I don’t remember. What I do remember is that it felt extremely rushed to conclude the story and a lot of the stuff didn’t make any sense.

I am not really sure about trash. It is by far better than what I saw on the previous episodes. What I can say is "Its better than what I thought it is than what I expected". i had set a very low standard for this anime prior to ending and I can say that is.

Its decent and had some tense parts but there are so many crappy arcs and fillers that annoyed me.

Sep 12, 2022 10:32 PM
Jun 2020
Aesethyr said:
Cross_2D said:

I am not really sure about trash. It is by far better than what I saw on the previous episodes. What I can say is "Its better than what I thought it is than what I expected". i had set a very low standard for this anime prior to ending and I can say that is.

Its decent and had some tense parts but there are so many crappy arcs and fillers that annoyed me.

Yes exactly. It definitely surprised me at times because I set the bar extremely low but it is for sure not anything too amazing. Sorry I use the word “trash” a lot and I’m not really being super harsh on a show it’s just how I categorize certain types of shows like these that provide guilty pleasure. Essentially, I know the show is not good and I accept that but I still enjoy watching it because it’s not THAT bad unlike some shows which are just straight up garbage. I hope this makes sense lmao
Sep 13, 2022 1:06 AM
Jul 2022
Thanks to this post I remembered that I've seen this show. I don't even remember everything. Just that she became his gf and then she was going to shift somewhere and does she have problems with her memories? I don't remember. All I can say that it wasn't really that bad it was good or ok.
Sep 13, 2022 6:44 AM

Sep 2022
To those who say this is a straightforward romance/romcom and not satire, out of curiosity what was your reaction to that scene I mentioned in the spoiler:

normie-sama said:

Did it come across as a moment of genuine, heartfelt encouragement? Was it a serious moment? Was it meant to be funny? Did it resonate with you? Did it annoy you? Something else?

I ask because I'm trying to figure out what to take away from an exchange this absurd if not viewed in a satirical context. When taken seriously, then the message is essentially:

If you're "truly happy" being with an emotionally abusive, cheating, sexist asshole who publicly shames and disparages you to his friends (even as you stand there visibly upset by his hurtful words), then it doesn't matter what people think of you or your relationship. Ignore the haters.

This is a pretty cynical message for a standard romcom. Is this really what the show is about? To me, it's much more gratifying to appreciate the irony in this scene and see it as intentional.
normie-samaSep 13, 2022 7:01 AM
Sep 13, 2022 7:25 AM
May 2022
My thoughts on this anime:-
Ehh so i dont know what satrical is but if it’s something to do with this anime being only funny then no.
I really liked this anime a lot idk why people have it such a low rating it is true that some episodes it was annoying that tsutun couldn’t understand the Irohas feelings but even still he tries his best to understand them later on. Funny ? Yes some scenes had good humour but stuff like arisa keep desperately looking for a boyfriend despite getting cheated on several times, and ishino while knowing how her boyfriend is cheating on her and still deciding to stay with him I find them honestly just plain sad and somewhat anger far from being funny.
But tbh season 1 was just fine however season 2 really was something else I loved it a lot, especially the way they end it.
Sep 13, 2022 8:31 AM
Mar 2022
Aesethyr said:

LOUDER BRO!! Same goes to me..the 2nd season is the season where heartbreaking moments start and this is where things get serious. Second season carries this anime which makes it one of the most underrated romance anime
Sep 13, 2022 8:32 AM

Sep 2022
ElmoBoredAsf said:
My thoughts on this anime:-
Ehh so i dont know what satrical is but if it’s something to do with this anime being only funny then no.
I really liked this anime a lot idk why people have it such a low rating it is true that some episodes it was annoying that tsutun couldn’t understand the Irohas feelings but even still he tries his best to understand them later on. Funny ? Yes some scenes had good humour but stuff like arisa keep desperately looking for a boyfriend despite getting cheated on several times, and ishino while knowing how her boyfriend is cheating on her and still deciding to stay with him I find them honestly just plain sad and somewhat anger far from being funny.
But tbh season 1 was just fine however season 2 really was something else I loved it a lot, especially the way they end it.

well, satire doesn't mean it is ONLY funny. One definition of the word is:

the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues

Irony, exaggeration, or ridicule don't necessarily have to be funny. But in this case, when looking at the show as a work of satire, I did find it humorous and pretty astute. Whereas when viewing it as a serious romance that is earnestly presenting the cringe-worthy messages it seems to be trying to convey in absence of any irony or ridicule...

well then it just becomes maddening and a little bit pathetic.

But I'm now 6 episodes in and whatever semblance of satire I previously detected seems to be quickly vanishing. So, I'll take everyone's word that this is how the show really is and it was just wishful thinking on my part for this anime to be more self-aware than it originally let on.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Viewing it through a lens of intentional satire at least made it tolerable. But perhaps I can still derive some enjoyment from this trainwreck watching it as an unintentional satire...
Sep 13, 2022 8:43 AM
May 2022
Glad your continuing with it. However the cringe part I agree with it does get alot alot out of hand in some scenes but trust me the second season makes it a really decent anime.
Sep 13, 2022 9:08 AM
Jun 2022
normie-sama said:
To those who say this is a straightforward romance/romcom and not satire, out of curiosity what was your reaction to that scene I mentioned in the spoiler:

normie-sama said:

Did it come across as a moment of genuine, heartfelt encouragement? Was it a serious moment? Was it meant to be funny? Did it resonate with you? Did it annoy you? Something else?

I ask because I'm trying to figure out what to take away from an exchange this absurd if not viewed in a satirical context. When taken seriously, then the message is essentially:

If you're "truly happy" being with an emotionally abusive, cheating, sexist asshole who publicly shames and disparages you to his friends (even as you stand there visibly upset by his hurtful words), then it doesn't matter what people think of you or your relationship. Ignore the haters.

This is a pretty cynical message for a standard romcom. Is this really what the show is about? To me, it's much more gratifying to appreciate the irony in this scene and see it as intentional.

Yeah, as a piece of advice it's absolutely awful, and personally would never let someone I know stay in a situation like that... But I know a ridiculous amount of people who would give advice like that, and think it's honestly the majority, if anything I think it's poking fun of younger people, it seems like such a dumb scene but this happens all the time, to me it's just realistic
Sep 13, 2022 9:09 AM
Jun 2022
kcvthewrld said:
normie-sama said:

Yeah, as a piece of advice it's absolutely awful, and personally would never let someone I know stay in a situation like that... But I know a ridiculous amount of people who would give advice like that, and think it's honestly the majority, if anything I think it's poking fun of younger people, it seems like such a dumb scene but this happens all the time, to me it's just realistic

To be like 'oh as long as your happy', it's either that they don't really care about them all that much, or are just as blind and hopeless in romance themselves, I didn't see it as a shock when it happened, but yeah obviously, it's a stupid situation
Sep 13, 2022 9:45 AM

Sep 2022
kcvthewrld said:

Indeed. Maybe then rather than being a comedic satire of the worst tropes in the romance genre as I originally supposed, it can instead be seen as ridiculing real-life people who think and act like that.

After all, in the midst of all this foul advice, Igarashi did clobber the asshole boyfriend over the head with her bag, knocking him out cold. So it's clear that author at least recognizes the absurdity of the platitudes on display (in fact, it was the incongruence of this physical expression of disapproval juxtaposed with the malignant, defeatist verbal message being peddled that finally had me convinced the whole thing was satire)
Sep 13, 2022 9:56 AM
Jun 2021
normie-sama said:

Get to season 2. I’m a sucker for romcom, so I loved it either way. If you have to view it a certain way for enjoyment, do it that way.
Sep 13, 2022 10:13 AM
Jun 2022
Man this anime caught me off guard
S1 was basically your typical shounen romcom

S2 just hit different especially the last few episodes
Sep 14, 2022 8:34 AM

Mar 2013
Hmm, I'd rather save those texts in the review thread but if you enjoyed it, nice.

P.S. Dunno what Satirical means. lol
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Sep 14, 2022 7:34 PM

Sep 2022
astralkill00 said:
Hmm, I'd rather save those texts in the review thread but if you enjoyed it, nice.

Not sure I follow. Are you saying I should've written this as a review instead of making a forum post?
Sep 14, 2022 7:36 PM

Mar 2013
normie-sama said:
astralkill00 said:

Not sure I follow. Are you saying I should've written this as a review instead of making a forum post?

Probably. It's your choice though since I think it's worth it but you could probably do it afterwards if you want it. ♪⁠~⁠(⁠´⁠ε⁠`⁠ ⁠)
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Sep 14, 2022 7:38 PM

Sep 2022
astralkill00 said:
normie-sama said:

Probably. It's your choice though since I think it's worth it.

I guess I could do that. I've never written a review - not sure I want that level of scrutiny, haha. But once I finish the show, I'll give it some thought.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Oct 15, 2023 9:35 AM

Oct 2020
It's not a comedy but more like a tragic story with a happy ending.
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3D Kanojo: Real Girl Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

31 by Haru_2806 »»
Mar 21, 6:11 AM

Poll: » 3D Kanojo: Real Girl Episode 11 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Aug 8, 2018

19 by Haru_2806 »»
Mar 21, 5:47 AM

Poll: » 3D Kanojo: Real Girl Episode 10 Discussion

10 by Haru_2806 »»
Mar 21, 4:08 AM

Poll: » 3D Kanojo: Real Girl Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2018

247 by Blackgirls536 »»
Jan 20, 9:05 AM

Poll: » 3D Kanojo: Real Girl Episode 9 Discussion

13 by samekenne »»
Jan 9, 5:51 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.