Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 27, 2010 12:30 PM

Jul 2007
With all the dub haters in the world questioning our taste and mentality, why do you feel the need to vigorously support it? What has made you prefer/love/like English dubs?

For me, it’s hard to say. I’ve never had a big problem with them initially because I grew up with dubs being common place in my anime. I always known they were foreign, but I never really saw anything wrong with dubs, didn’t notice if they were good or bad, I didn’t really notice, because it was just so natural to watch anime in this way. In my Middle School years, I’ve became such a huge anime fan. Because of the show Yu Yu Hakusho, I became a huge fan of FUNimation dubs, and most of my DVD purchases were from them. Then I became fascinated by who was playing who in what show. It was always fun trying to identify VAs, something I realize others hate if they can recognize an actor, but it’s as worst for me just distract especially when I can’t figure it out. As time went on I became more and more fascinated. I have bought series just because so and so was in it. I enjoy listen to the series, hearing VAs, critique them criticize them, and talk about them. For some reason I just enjoy watching the English version.

With my history, its hard for me convinced that dubs suck, when I’ve seen plenty of good ones. I have this knee-jerk reaction to defend what I love. And all the negativity just makes me hold on harder to my dub love.

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 27, 2010 1:29 PM
Jan 2008
I understand where you're coming from. I decided from day one I'd be a dub fan, no matter what people said about it. Were there times when I felt that I would be criticized for liking dubs that people say are unlistenable? Sure. But that doesn't stop me from watching dubs. And frankly, as hard as it is to maintain my faith in my own views, I am not afraid to stand up for them in the least.

BTW, if you really wanna have access to a site that fairly reviews dubs, check out my blogspot:
http://animeenglishdubreviews.blogspot.com/. Like you, I feel that the negativity against dubbing is wholly undeserved; there may be some less than stellar efforts, true, but there are lots of other great ones I've listened to, and frankly, I just can't watch the Japanese versions no matter how "superior" fans say it is.
Apr 27, 2010 3:43 PM

Jul 2007
But you didn't answer my question, why do you like dubs? What are you reason for your preference?

Maybe my topic wasn't clear. Sorry

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
Apr 27, 2010 5:23 PM

Dec 2009
And lo and behold, it has been spoken: The Sixth Commandment.

VIII: I always, always prefer English dubs over subtitles whenever there's no censorship involved, so all my reviews will be based on English dubs when applicable. This isn't a matter of bias or a hatred for Japanese voice actors, nor do I disrespect people for preferring the subbed version of an anime. The short answer is that I'm a ridiculously analytical person when it comes to watching anime - the kind of person who pays attention to every little thing as if he were proofreading it for errors before the DVD release. Call me crazy, but it's the small tidbits that I catch in this analysis that make me enjoy anime so much, and I simply miss too much when my eyes are glued to the bottom of the screen watching text scroll on by.
Apr 27, 2010 5:58 PM

Mar 2008
I like English Dubs because I dont have to read subtitles, simple as that really.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Apr 28, 2010 6:34 PM

Oct 2009
Baby_Naruto said:
I like English Dubs because I dont have to read subtitles, simple as that really.

For me as well XD.

Well primarily I feel subtitles take away from the viewing experience to an extent, and I don't have to switch back and forth between what is occurring on screen and reading (unless it's subtitles featured on the opening/ending credits, but otherwise I prefer dubs).
Apr 29, 2010 6:20 PM

Dec 2009
I generally hate it when opening and closing themes are subtitled. I absolutely loathe it unless both of the following conditions are met:

1) The song and its lyrics are both significant to the series.
2) The Japanese lyrics synchronize in terms of syllables with the English subtitles.

So far the only series I've appreciated the subtitled themes in has been Ranma. Also, <3 Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin. Especially Yu Yu Hakusho. I love me some good, English-translated theme songs. Vic Mignogna's performance of "Brothers" in English is to die for, too. It's just kind of sad that it was never used in the series.
Apr 29, 2010 6:44 PM

Jul 2007
XTApocalypse said:
Also, <3 Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin. Especially Yu Yu Hakusho. I love me some good, English-translated theme songs.

Agreed, the English version of opening song for Yu Yu Hakusho was EPIC!!! One of the reason why I stuck around and watched the series. Smile Bomb was such a earworm for me. Funimation should start dubbing more songs. The end results as a whole varies but when it's good, it awesome!

Apr 29, 2010 7:05 PM

Dec 2009
The English bits in Ranma were great, too. There were two spots in the series where the cast sang the first opening and the third closing. The second set of OVA openings and closings were sung by the English cast too... AMAZINGLY good. They give me shivers. D;

The full English version of Smile Bomb was such an amazing ending to YYH, too. Absolutely perfect. And sung much better than the Japanese version, IMO. I just wished they had dubbed the closing themes in their entirety, rather than just the minimum needed for the closing credits. *sigh*...
Apr 30, 2010 11:19 PM

Oct 2009
I like dubs because I hate reading subtitles.
May 1, 2010 1:01 AM

Mar 2008
Olimarth said:
Baby_Naruto said:

For me as well XD.

Well primarily I feel subtitles take away from the viewing experience to an extent, and I don't have to switch back and forth between what is occurring on screen and reading (unless it's subtitles featured on the opening/ending credits, but otherwise I prefer dubs).

Same here man.

XTApocalypse said:
I generally hate it when opening and closing themes are subtitled. I absolutely loathe it unless both of the following conditions are met:

1) The song and its lyrics are both significant to the series.
2) The Japanese lyrics synchronize in terms of syllables with the English subtitles.

So far the only series I've appreciated the subtitled themes in has been Ranma. Also, <3 Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin. Especially Yu Yu Hakusho. I love me some good, English-translated theme songs. Vic Mignogna's performance of "Brothers" in English is to die for, too. It's just kind of sad that it was never used in the series.

I dunno, I love some of the Japanese OPs and EDs form some shows personally.

coolcat said:
XTApocalypse said:
Also, <3 Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin. Especially Yu Yu Hakusho. I love me some good, English-translated theme songs.

Agreed, the English version of opening song for Yu Yu Hakusho was EPIC!!! One of the reason why I stuck around and watched the series. Smile Bomb was such a earworm for me. Funimation should start dubbing more songs. The end results as a whole varies but when it's good, it awesome!

I agree with you 100%, FUNimation should dub more OPs and EDs of series they have.

May 1, 2010 9:47 AM

Dec 2009
Baby_Naruto said:

You misunderstood me completely. I love Japanese openings. Love 'em. Rarely as much as English-dubbed openings, but I love them nonetheless. Most of the time, I just don't want them subtitled. The lyrics often destroy the experience for me... usually just because they're so generic and, when that is the case, I'd rather just focus on the melody. It's always bugged me about the Naruto openings, at least.

Another series with a fantastic English-dubbed closing (and maybe opening) sequence is Hellsing. Shine is a really nice song. <:3
May 1, 2010 2:20 PM

Mar 2008
XTApocalypse said:
Baby_Naruto said:

You misunderstood me completely. I love Japanese openings. Love 'em. Rarely as much as English-dubbed openings, but I love them nonetheless. Most of the time, I just don't want them subtitled. The lyrics often destroy the experience for me... usually just because they're so generic and, when that is the case, I'd rather just focus on the melody. It's always bugged me about the Naruto openings, at least.

Another series with a fantastic English-dubbed closing (and maybe opening) sequence is Hellsing. Shine is a really nice song. <:3

Ah, sorry, confused the subs with the actual OPs xD.

May 1, 2010 11:44 PM

Jul 2007
XTApocalypse said:

Could you really count that as a dubbed song?

May 2, 2010 12:23 AM

Dec 2009
What do you mean?

It's in English and it's used as the closing sequence in an English-dubbed anime. I have no idea what the Japanese ending sequence was, be it Shine or something else, but technically speaking if it's in English it's an English dub - it doesn't have to be modified from something else to be a dub.
May 2, 2010 8:21 AM

Jul 2007
XTApocalypse said:
What do you mean?

It's in English and it's used as the closing sequence in an English-dubbed anime. I have no idea what the Japanese ending sequence was, be it Shine or something else, but technically speaking if it's in English it's an English dub - it doesn't have to be modified from something else to be a dub.

Yes, they used the exact same opening for the original Japanese dub. I don't know, I usually as a default that English dub for anime should automatically be a redub of a song. "Shine" wasn't redub. It was always like that.

Since one definition of dubbing is to "replace voices for a motion picture. It doesn't fit. Since dubs usually refers voice overs it doesn't fit. It's hard for me to count that as a dub because it the original and it's music. To me it doesn't make sense and seriously confusing because it gives off the notion that the song isn't the original.

Sorry, I'm a terminology Nazi

May 2, 2010 10:08 AM

Dec 2009
Dubbing, as a verb, is applying audio to a video sequence or file. A dub, as a noun, is the verbal audio that is applied to these videos. That's the terminology.

That being said, I didn't know that the original ending was in English. Which I actually think is kind of neat, since it's a series based in England. Point being, I think it's quite an enjoyable closing sequence, anyway.
May 2, 2010 12:51 PM

Jul 2007
Usually dubbing is referred to voiceover work, which the song really isn't. Like I wouldn't refer to "Do You Want To" by Franz Ferdinand to be English Dubbed just because it was the closing song for Paradise Kiss. It makes it sound to other people it's not the original especially when referring to a song. But whatever...

They're plenty of anime opening and closing songs that are in other languages other than Japanese, which is always fun.

May 2, 2010 2:06 PM

Aug 2008
Why do I life/prefer dubs? Mainly because I speak English, and not Japanese. It is so much more enjoyable to be able to watch something in a language I understand, then to attempt to read the very distracting words at the bottom of a screen.

For me it wasn't always like this, and only really started upon finding BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad in dubbed, because I can say sub there just isn't the same. Also finding a voice actor that I really love (through a game) helps me like dubbed (especially anything with her in it) that much more.

As already started by someone else, I have no disrespect for sub, but my friend raises a good argument too:

People who only speak English and watch subs say that dubbed voices never fit, well at the same time there can be people in Japan (the target audience) that says the same thing about the Japanese voices.

In short, how can you be sure that the Japanese voice really fits the character?
Of course I also find that FUNimation tries to pick voices that represent the characters look, and background, not just because the Voice Actor is popular.
May 2, 2010 4:03 PM

Oct 2008
Why do I like English dubs?

Well, when I first watched english dubs in anime, I never had a problem with it. I noticed some odd dialogue in some shows that were more kid-oriented, and over time, I realized how silly they were. That being said, I didn't mind hearing dubs as I grew up with hearing them. And I don't really mind hearing anime in it's original audio either.

However recently I wondered about why dubs would be good to listen to if say one were to buy DVDs. What I like about what dubs can do is that as far as distributing anime titles to the states is that depending on the dub itself, you can get a good, and even distinct experience compared to Japanese audio with subtitles. Voice directors, script writers, and actors can modify the dialogue to make the experience of hearing the characters talk sound more entertaining and it's still more or less the same experience as with the subs. For example, Crispin freeman at a convention once mentioned about a part in Haruhi where Kyon meets the adult Asahina and she exposed her breasts and the script originally said "they're huge!" He thought a better line could be done than that, so he inputted in "super size me!" Another example was during a part in Bleach where Ichigo met all the Vizards and Johnny saw a line where Ichigo said "no way!" Thought it didn't sound like something he would just say and then changed the line to "bite me!"

There are other examples too like Welcome to the NHK, Nabari no Ou, Big Windup, SGT Frog and what-not where lines were altered to sound more distinctive. I mean, if people want a dub to be outright faithful, then that's what the subs are for. I think dubs are meant to (unless otherwise) to basically capture the same experience as you would in susbtitles while still being uniquely entertaining. There might be instances where dubs can't do that like shows with jokes that are untranslatable through dubs, or maybe the lines in some anime don't sound that obvious and don't need to be altered in dubs. Other than that, dubs can provide a distinct but more-or-less similar etertainment.

Not only that but where the voices themselves sounded more distinctive, which is something else I like about many dubs. I like how with certain anime shows either the dub makes the characters sound more appropriate like with the Key visual dramas, or the actors challenge and adjust their voice to sound like a whole different character in personality. I think people who find characters to be "mis-casted" in dubs aren't aware of how the other roles those actors have played in comparison.

Case in point, a lot of people found Brittney Karbowski as Black Star from Soul Eater to be not that masculine. And while I can agree compared to other actors, it wasn't until after I heard some of Brittney's other roles like Ayu from Kanon, Himeko from Pani Poni Dash, and Apis in One Piece that I looked back into Himeko as Black Star and realized, "wow! Compared to Brittney's other roles, Black Star does sound pretty masculine!" Speaking of Brittney, I wonder how she's been doing since her car accident? Hope she's recovering steadily.
HypeathonMay 2, 2010 4:10 PM
May 2, 2010 6:32 PM

Dec 2009
I don't think dubs are any less "faithful" than subs are in most cases. The Excel Saga subtitles were full of awkward translations and broken lines. The dub was flawless... in fact that's been the case with virtually every anime I've seen both subbed and dubbed. The subbed versions of them were poorly-translated, plain and simple. People take the word-for-word idea of dubbing waaaaay too far - very, very, very rarely is there any such thing as a direct translation. The lines HAVE to be modified in order to make the least bit of sense in English. As long as the MEANING is the same - which it always has been, without fail. In fact the one and only case where I think it wasn't was in Castle in the Sky, where I heard the pirate's motherly interest in Sheeta was replaced with an implied romantic one. But don't quote me on that, I haven't seen the Japanese version of that one.

Subs vs. dubs, to me, is having to distract yourself by reading poorly-translated text while listening to a language you don't understand vs. watching anime. And by "watching anime", I mean watching it the way you would anything else on television. With understandable and well-placed audio and without anything getting in the way of the screen. They never air any subbed anime on television these days.
May 3, 2010 2:15 PM
Jan 2008
XTApocalypse said:
I don't think dubs are any less "faithful" than subs are in most cases. The Excel Saga subtitles were full of awkward translations and broken lines. The dub was flawless... in fact that's been the case with virtually every anime I've seen both subbed and dubbed. The subbed versions of them were poorly-translated, plain and simple. People take the word-for-word idea of dubbing waaaaay too far - very, very, very rarely is there any such thing as a direct translation. The lines HAVE to be modified in order to make the least bit of sense in English. As long as the MEANING is the same - which it always has been, without fail. In fact the one and only case where I think it wasn't was in Castle in the Sky, where I heard the pirate's motherly interest in Sheeta was replaced with an implied romantic one. But don't quote me on that, I haven't seen the Japanese version of that one.

There are SOME differences in the script between the Japanese version and the Disney ones, but otherwise, it's pretty much faithful. Aside from that delcaration of love, other differences are the omission of "Gulliver's Travels" and "Treasure Island" from the script and the last part of Sheeta's message at the end. Otherwise, it's faithful and a well-executed dub overall.
May 3, 2010 7:01 PM

Dec 2009
I never said it wasn't faithful as a whole, it's just the least faithful I've seen. Which is to say all the others I've seen have been even more faithful than that.

And where were those two ommitted from?
May 4, 2010 1:36 PM
Jan 2008
XTApocalypse said:
I never said it wasn't faithful as a whole, it's just the least faithful I've seen. Which is to say all the others I've seen have been even more faithful than that.

And where were those two ommitted from?

In one scene Pazu calls his father's journal "Gulliver's Travels" in the Japanese version (where he's showing Sheeta the book), and in another, Muska makes a reference to "Treasure Island" when he tries to talk Sheeta into cooperating with him during the scene where he shows the robot.

Yes, it isn't as accurate, but on the other hand, the older dub of LAPUTA tried to go down that path and it was all the more awful for it (not to mention that it was badly acted and written overall). So Disney's version definitely wins out, as you and I both agree. Of course, Disney's translations for Miyazaki/Ghibli movies are not necessarily noted for being so slavishly accurate, either; there are some other subtle changes that they do make to some of the scripts. On the other hand, that's what makes their dubs really good: the dialogue is super-smooth and natural, with no choppy or stilted, or even mindboggling lines, and careful attention to lip-sync.

But thanks for clarifying that.
JTurnerMay 4, 2010 3:58 PM
May 9, 2010 1:24 PM

Oct 2009
I also have forgotten to mention the certain authenticity you get out of listening to an anime in english. Such as Hellsing (Ultimate) in which the actors either speak or have a British accent about themselves, Trigun with the characters native language being english, or Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon & Sakura Wars where the characters come from various countries/regions and the accents do justice.

However this is not always the case, as Goldenboy's English dub surpasses the Japanese dub (and if i'm not mistaken the anime occurs in Japan as well).

And I personally prefer a male lead's actor sound age appropriate, like with Richard Cansino as Kenshin, Vic Mignogna as Ed or Justin Cook as Yusuke.
GinkoartMay 9, 2010 1:28 PM
May 9, 2010 2:08 PM

Dec 2009
That Japanese Goku was hilarious, man. He was. And I've never watched Hellsing subbed, but always pondered to myself about the concept of Japanese spoken with an English accent.
May 9, 2010 9:37 PM
Nov 2009
English Dubs are awesome because they just are.
May 10, 2010 4:38 AM

Jun 2007
Ont he opposite side, the subs quality you see in general are all up for question too. Just because it's subbed by a company doesn't mean anything, hell MOST fansubbers fansub(at least back in the day) because they wanted it NOW and devoted time to it. While companies just have a small portion type it up for them as they translate it.

I mean some people, and this REEEEAAAALLLLYYY annoys me, take their subs from THEIR english script they wrote up and not the more direct translations. That should NEVER be the case unless your script mimics it to the T, which it most likely doesn't
May 10, 2010 12:20 PM

Dec 2009
I don't think that all subs are automatically this way, and I don't think anyone who makes that claim is justified in doing so, but the subbed series I've seen along with their dubbed counterparts have all made less sense and been overall less smooth and more "badly-translated anime stereotype"-y, Excel Saga being my primary example.

Speaking of which, I really wish more series had the Subtext option available on the Paranoia Agent DVD's. (Or at least the FX ones, which I need to get rid of...) It shows subtitles to translate Japanese text (signs, letters...) but not when characters are speaking. I really could have used that for Excel Saga.
May 10, 2010 7:06 PM

Jan 2010
Well, I do watch dub and sub anime. I defend dubbed anime (not counting 4kids) because most of our voice actor that do dubbing do non-anime work. Like I believe Steve Blum who voiced Spike Spiegel is also the voice of Wolverine. Also, Fansubs beside mistranslation. They carried censorship (which is not the fansubber fault) from the Japanese Network TV. Example: Girls Bravo fansubs had censorship while the Geneon DVD is uncut.
May 11, 2010 1:58 AM

Jun 2007
You can't just over rule 4kids either, just because MOST everything they do is the worst that a dub company in general can do, they have done well. Shaman King's dub with the exception of Rio was pretty freaking good, the actual dialogue portion was of course a little too hammered, but the voices themselves were pretty good.

AND fansubbers can get the uncenseroed version of shows, an do all the time, it's just that they sub the first airing before DVDs are out so it only makes sense.

@XTA, that's not really all that good a defense mechanism because Excel Saga was supposed to be completely crazy and make no sense to begin with, so if the "japanese" version less sense than that is technically a PLUS.
May 11, 2010 12:01 PM

Dec 2009
Where did you hear that? Nothing about Excel Saga says it's supposed to not make sense. It's supposed to be random, but it's not supposed to not make sense. Nothing is. It's almost universally a negative trait.

And censorship is as much a part of a dub as the voice acting, and if there's any censorship whatsoever, anywhere, it's automatically a terrible dub to me. And unfortunately, 4Kids seems to excel in that.
May 12, 2010 3:54 AM

Jun 2007
Well to YOU and it BEING SO definitely isn't the same. I agree, any censorship of any kind shouldn't happen, ever, if you can't put it on your channel as is than it doesn't belong, simple. But that never means that it's going to be bad by default, Shaman King proved that. My favorite thing though is that later in the series they didnt' cut from Iron maiden's inside view where the little girl is in underwear with her nipples poking through, they forgot about that and I recorded that shit as it aired and showed everyone that 4Kids knows whats up, even as a joke.

Random and not making sense are best friends, not the same but meaningful and Excel Saga, of all shows, can hold it's own with no plot if need be.
May 12, 2010 9:34 AM

Jul 2007
iwatch2muchanime said:
Well to YOU and it BEING SO definitely isn't the same. I agree, any censorship of any kind shouldn't happen, ever, if you can't put it on your channel as is than it doesn't belong, simple.

Haha, then alot of anime wouldn't be on tv. And that wouldn't be good.

I think censorship is a necessary evil, plus you can get more money by selling a uncut version of the series. If there is option for a uncut DVD, a censored television broadcast is complete fine IMO

May 12, 2010 11:48 AM

Dec 2009
I don't care about TV broadcasts, within reason. I'm talking in general. If there's not an uncut DVD release of some kind I take an enormous amount of offense to that.

And Excel Saga made perfect sense. Everything was thoroughly explained by the final episode, no loose ends left. Nonsense =/= lack of sense.
May 12, 2010 11:02 PM

Jun 2007
It was all explained for no reason at all because it didn't matter. I remember you saying the final episode was almost touching, someone did, I find that a terrible joke because nothing about that show was meant to be taken seriously. But true lack of reason doesn't = lack of sense. Not to mention the REAL final episode was so much better thant he actual final episode.

no I can live with no anime on tv, because I buy stuff, and I have plenty of other shows to watch that anime on TV doesnt' need to add. BUT my real statement to this is our regulations of content on TV is FAR too serious and needs to be lightened up a lot, even if it means less shows.
May 12, 2010 11:38 PM

Dec 2009
It was more than almost touching. It was gorgeous. Following episode 25 with episode 26 was like following the London Philharmonic with nursery rhymes for me.

That being said, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.
May 13, 2010 11:16 AM

Jul 2007
iwatch2muchanime said:
no I can live with no anime on tv, because I buy stuff, and I have plenty of other shows to watch that anime on TV doesnt' need to add. BUT my real statement to this is our regulations of content on TV is FAR too serious and needs to be lightened up a lot, even if it means less shows.

Hey that's the tv channels decision on what to show and what to edit, not the anime companies. And that's their prerogative, one can't do anything about until they choose to change themselves.
I personally think these "don't censor" anything crowd is the ones that are far too serious. I, personally, would rather have anime on television with some edits, than not anime at all. I know alot of the anime I watch as a kid, would probably wouldn't be on tv without the edits, and I probably wouldn't have been a fan of anime in general without seeing those shows. So I happy for those edit, and wish for others to see anime at most any cost, so other can share in my adored hobbies. So edit all you want Cartoon Network, as long I still have the uncut DVDs.

May 13, 2010 11:55 AM

Dec 2009
Just as too many people consider the luck of the early bird rather than that of the early worm, you focus on the people that edited anime attracts while disregarding the people that it repels.

Nobody's saying what is or what's going to be. We're talking about what should be. Obviously censorship will never disappear, people are just too stupid and prudent for that to be a possibility.
May 13, 2010 2:35 PM

Jul 2007
I don't understand how people could be repel by edits that most of time no one could notice without prior knowledge of the series. So may be more obvious than others like 4kids (which is just that for kids), where the edits can be somewhat justified because who it's gear towards. Which most thing that is licensed by 4kids should turn certain people off anyway considering Pokemon, Yugioh, and Dinosaur King isn't the best representation of anime outside of children marketing. But stuff like editing blood, nudity/sex and cursing, (which is the most common form of censorship), get someone turned off, they just seem like unpleasable people and could easily be turned off by anything else.

"Oh god, they don't have Sai constantly cursing like a sailor, I never going to watch this show I supposedly like for the story, characters, and action, which still is intact, and not for something as insignificant as a Komahamaru turning into sexy ladies fondling each other. My show's ruined FOREVAAAR! And now because of this, I'm never gonna watch other better anime that is perfectly intact in DVD form or though streaming. Thanks alot Disney XD, you just turned away another anime fan, I'm going to watch reality shows now"

Seriously...these are the people you want to attract.

I may agree with you on certain anime censorship, like One Piece, though in my opinion I think other factors was at work, that has nothing to do with 4kids edits, that prevented the series to become big in the states. Though truth be told I think a series should do well regardless of edits since again the people that it should attract shouldn't have complete knowledge of the series beforehand. If they do they should already recognize themselves as fans or not, and would know how and where to get their anime fix. May there are some, but part of me don't think they are the majority, so forgive me for not caring much.

And I don't think people are just too stupid and prudent to allow censorship to cease, I just think US standards, especially US television standards, are just different from that of Japan. 4kids aside. We edit and censor our own stuff.

May 13, 2010 6:28 PM

Dec 2009
I'm against censorship in any and all its forms. The point I'm making is that there's no reason for them to do it, and by making it even more kiddy by American standards they're perpetuating the already-dominant idea that anime is juvenile. Yes, people already think that way. I know that. And censorship is not a step in the right direction.
May 13, 2010 8:05 PM

Jul 2007
Yes, but the alternative is going to be "JAPAN IS CORRUPTING OUR YOUTH!!!" from those overly protective kind or worse "TENTACLE PORN!!!" from everyone else, so you can't win. Animation Age Ghetto is so ingrained in not only American society, but others as well, dictating that if an animation is not family or kids oriented, it's South Park. I rather them market to right audience, if its a kids anime, market it to kids, because, you know, its for kids. Making a kiddie show more kiddie isn't going to change the mind of the guy who already thinks the kiddie show is kiddie by not censoring out a old man stealing a woman's white panties. I seriously doubt the only thing keeping average non-elementary school aged joe from watching Pokemon was James having fake breast. Does not make sense, just direct them to adult swim (which has done some editing) or something, where one should go to have people change their minds about anime and animation.

You know, after learning that Afro Samurai was edited on Spike, I just came to a reasonable conclusion, somethings just can't be shown on television, because Even "adult" anime on a "adult" TV network is censored. So I personally don't mind censorship at all, because that just regulation, and it's not like you are being denied seeing it uncut, which you aren't, you have the internet, DVD, and etc.

May 13, 2010 8:56 PM

Dec 2009
But there's no reason to do it. I'm not saying the networks or the licensors are wrong. Their opinions don't even matter, they don't have a choice in the matter. I'm saying the FCC is wrong, I'm saying America is wrong, and I'm saying the world is wrong.
May 14, 2010 9:19 AM

Jul 2007
Uh...okay

May 14, 2010 9:24 AM

Oct 2009
I like English dubs because i like to WATCH anime not read it.
May 14, 2010 10:08 PM

Jun 2007
XTA is right on that for the most part. The FCC here in america and american standards for television are what's wrong the american TV to begin with. There are numerous live shows with gore or sex that air on TV fine, the major issue is that ANIME isn't viewed as anything but cartoons for kids here and so they can't air them outside of specific networks or blocks that designate them as so, which in turn will still censor the shows. Adult Swim does, SyFy does, etc... this is WRONG by default and shouldn't happen.

Dude friggin DISNEY cancelled Power Rangers form their company because parents complained it was too violent for their kids, so SABAN entertainment, who made it here originally, said FUCK you and bought it back and will air it on Nick. Anyone who thinks Power Rangers is even moderately violent is stupid, making 89% of americans 25-65 with kids in that space.
May 15, 2010 11:56 AM

Dec 2009
It's amazing how many parents prefer a 2nd-grader's classmates dropping all the negative things in life on them all at once like a pile of bricks on glass to just letting the child learn about them in moderation the way they would any of the positive things.
May 16, 2010 5:36 PM

Jul 2007
Anime, by default being animation, is seen as being aimed at children regardless.
Not really wrong if [as] and scifi decides to edit things on their own channel because it their choice. I don't think they are doing you any injustice just for bleeping out some f-bombs and blurring some nipples, it seriously isn't that deep.

Oh yes, I remember watching Power Rangers when I was younger, good times. Anyway I wouldn't call a parent stupid for thinking Power Ranger is violent, because it is rather violent, not to mention one of the worst kind of violence, inimitable. So I can see where a parent would get this idea, and chodos to those parents who are regulating what their children but they shouldn't have ruined it for others who actually want to see it and be mature enough to not karate chop their friend in the face.

On a another note, I don't think that's why SABAN decided to put Power Rangers on Nick. I think it was, like everything else, due to money issues.

May 17, 2010 1:40 AM

Jun 2007
I think you may be stupid coolcat.

Power Rangers isn't violent AT ALL, and if it was than it is far from IMMITATABLE, it's the furthest. It's flashy high flying super powered bull shenanigans that you can't re-created without the proper tools. It isn't violent, it's action. Action and violence are two different things and always will be. Violence and GORE are also seperated the same way.

And no, these companies don't just bleep and blurr, they cut and reshape and that is a no go. NO FUCK? sure why not? However no nipples? NO, if the show has nudity and you can't show it, the show isn't right for your channel and drop it. THat's how it works.
May 17, 2010 10:43 AM

Jul 2007
Ouch, ah, thanks for the diagnosis, but there is really no need for name calling. lol
Madness runs in my family, though, but I don't think that has anything to do with the discussion that we are having now. >_>

Yeah, the martial art that is shown in Power Range is rather immitatiable, (oh dear I missed spell that the first time didn't I ^_^'), stupid and fake as they maybe to the mature eye, though when I was young it look slightly more convincing. Not sure if they still do as much of those little fight scenes as they did in the beginning.

And you, I think, is way too passionate about nothing really. The maturer channels for the most part do bleep and blurr, I do see sometimes they are cut for time, but is that really censorship. Hey, it's maybe network standard for broadcast, just because Japanese television can get away with certain things, doesn't really mean anyone is in the wrong or it's not right for your channel, it's just that one scene or scenes that can be seen as inappropriate by the people in charge.

I suppose if you want to complain about thing getting change from the original intent, you should go to the companies responible for the adaption decay and distillation of manga series (or just the original in general). Seriously, if you are so hell bent on you stance of censorship and that any change is unacceptable then we should all boycott adaptions. I mean for example, in the Naruto manga there was a scene where Konohamaru did Yaoi No Jutsu was strangely absent in the anime. What so two girls are okay for primetime Japanese television, but two guys aren't, that's so hypocritical. What girls aren't allow their manservice? Why both animating the manga if they are just going to change it. And not just Naruto, loads of other seres as well. God, I hated the anime for Berserk, they skipped over some of the best parts, I really want to Guts get raped by that giant man when he was like twelve, darn, I really wanted to see that animated. God, if they aren't going to animate everything why animate it all. Wasn't like the storyline didn't exist, so wrong...And worse more, they can kill the storyline and make it nearly unrecognizable, poor Angel Sanctuary, the anime did not do that Koari Yuki's brilliance justice, and Light should have died the same way he did in the manga, what was the point of changing it. And don't get me started on adaptions of oh greats work Oh! Great works, there was full frontal nudity in that scene in the manga and you know it anime. It shouldn't be on television if everything isn't alright to show.

I hate that these authors, who but their good health on the line, do not always have a say on how their strory is adapted. This injustice has been going on unopposed for too long, but no more, let's stand up for those who can't and aren't willing to speak. Studio Deen, TV Tokyo, Studio Pierrot start making you own million dollar franchises, and stop ruin silence their true creativity. So many are turned off by you're crappy fillers and no ending end...soulless money-grubbing companies, all of ya!

>_>

Gosh, nice to get that off my chest. ^_^
coolcatMay 17, 2010 10:49 AM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM

» Notable 2022 Anime that didn't get Dubbed

Aan120898 - Dec 29, 2022

1 by MeanMrMusician »»
Dec 30, 2022 1:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.