Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 5, 2022 11:18 PM

Dec 2009
Interesting story, but... it wasn't great. 5/10.

It's somewhat dull and lacks impact while not feeling reasonable in strength to their change of not wanting to commit suicide anymore.
In the end, the portrayal of that is well done for having them still wonder if they'll want to continue living or not years later, but it's all still kinda boring and lackluster.

Three individuals meet to meet to encounter a rumored summer(-only) ghost who died 3 years ago, of which they believe was by suicide. 
In reality she was murdered, and out of hidden spite, she taunted the girl (main protagonist) Aoi, that only people who are about to die can see her. Which is true.

Aoi is a victim of bullying. Tomoya's passion for art is lost while he's forced to be perfect in education from his mother, and Ryouta lost his passion for basketball as well because he's about to die from sickness.

Later on, while none of them reveal their secret of their painful life wanting to die,
Tomoya meets the ghost Ayane alone. He learns the truth of her being murdered, and for wanting to rebel against his mother without a reason to live, he wants to help her, which she accepts and asks him to find her corpse to give peace to her mother and friends.

After Tomoya reveals what he's been doing to the other two while asking for their help, Routa refuses and they get into an argument, all revealing their truths.
Aoi pleads to help Tomoya, which they do, and end up finding Ayane's corpse, while Tomoya was trapped in ghost self-loathing with the potential to die and turn into a ghost if he didn't accept himself/life.

In the epilogue, after Ryouta is dead, they meet Ryouta's ghost in summer, speaking of their current future and that they'll continue living.

... The problem with the story is how weak the moment of change from their big argument is.
Ayane's final message is solid and beautiful. Her mystery and maturity in telling them to live with not enough urgency from envy is interesting in hindsight, but her epilogue is disappointing as well for it to be simply over after they find her corpse, without any insight to her family and friends.

The ability for her to turn others as ghost to fly like she does is cool, I guess, but the moment where he's about to open the bag to her corpse, being in denial and not wanting to succeed so he can live, through being trapped as a ghost with his self reflection as Ayane before it turns into himself out of self hate was... odd and poorly executed for how random it was, I think.

The message is beautiful, but the execution and plots with the characters didn't hit right.
waalex11Aug 17, 2023 10:32 PM
Jul 31, 2023 2:52 AM

Jun 2021
Thanks for explaining, I saw the movie some time ago and I thought the manga might be a little different from the anime but it wasn't.
So, as the story is the same I don't have to read it. I can just watch the movie again.
OP_RiderJul 31, 2023 3:09 AM
Yandere_@lover
Aug 17, 2023 11:43 PM

Dec 2009
@OP_Rider
I'm probably too late in replying, but it's actually quite different from the manga.
Particularly from the second half of the story.

Ayane seems a bit darker, while the trio get into arguments from Ryou near the end.
The also cut and change a lot of dialogue, including scenes of each of the main characters dealing with their issues.

Ryou and Aoi hanging out alone, hiding their secrets, while Tomoya is talking with Ayane. 
Aoi getting bullied, Tomoya arguing with his mother, and Ryou lying to a girl (not a boy like in the anime), 
along with moments of depression and anger in the hospital.
Ayane herself also speaks a bit more about herself and questions everyone more, psychologically. 

I skimmed through the manga, so I may have missed some details and nuances, but that's how different it is for the most part.
For a 40-minute adaptation, it could have fully faithfully adapted the manga if it were over an hour, but anyway.
Aug 18, 2023 3:39 AM

Jun 2021
@waalex11
Well that's the best you can do in a 40 minutes movie to be honest. I just meant the overall story stayed the same, no major changes like "Another" or "Akame ga kill" anime and manga (if you read Another, you would know what I'm talking about).
It did felt like they were not showing full details in the anime and I was kinda expecting that. Ayane dying, their miserable circumstances, Ryou becoming ghost all of that felt like a flash. But thanks for confirming it.

Hoped that they would've showed more into the future, like what happened after that to Tomoya and Aoi, who became the next summer ghost after Ryou.
OP_RiderAug 18, 2023 3:42 AM
Yandere_@lover
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.