Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 19, 2022 3:02 AM

Oct 2020
no sex in engage sex so lycoris yuri is still the best because last episode will get both gay sex and lesbian sex

Sep 19, 2022 9:45 AM
Aug 2017
MonkeeDan said:
DragonTheOne said:

EK never felt like a harem show to me. It has always established itself as a love triangle from the start up till now. I never counted Sharon as part of the harem because she has never taken any action or even shown the desire to win the love of the MC. Just because they had a ONS in the past does not make her part of his harem when she does not show any interest in being in a relationship with the MC. Although not much can be said for Kanna as not much is shown of her yet, I am inclined to believe that she will not change the show into a harem. So if it's just between three people, that is a love triangle instead of a harem.

I also fail to see why a show cannot be centered around an MC when the whole story of the show is about him and his relationships. The fault you stated is more like 'I don't like this show because its an Isekai' without caring how the show executes itself. Take Shu out and we won't even have the story since the whole story is of him throwing his life away to pursue his goals and Kisara being the one who loves him unconditionally.

In fact, I fail to see how any romance show can even function by removing the MC. Take away Futarou out from QQ and every character will lose their motivation. Take Gojo out from Dress up Darling and every character lose their motivation.

I mean yea, it is a love triangle, but it gives me the vibes of being a harem with the way the characters interact and their respective tropes. Sharon in my book still holds feelings for him and would probably give it a try if it weren't for the other 2 girls that are trying it already, but yea, doesn't change anything really. Whether or nor Kanna effectively turns it into a harem doesn't matter if it already feels like one since the moment they introduced Sharon to me. I just dislike how they use the love as a plot device and just throw it onto every character that holds any significant value to the story. I'm fine with one or maybe two characters having their motivation being love, but almost every character? Feels a bit much to me tho I guess it's just personal preference (?)

It fails in that aspect that the world itself stops being alive as soon as you take Shu out of it. It can work, sure, but EG had the whole scenario of being a futuristic city that is threatened by demons which already serves enough potential for things happening outside of the mc's perspective. It's okay that the story is about Shu and his revenge and all that, but it shouldn't affect the whole world/city to such an extent that every action begins and ends with him more or less. So no, it's not that I don't like this show because it's an Isekai, but rather that I dislike the way they execute the initial set up of a setting and plot and put feelings onto characters for convenience rather than them being "realistic" and understandable.

Well yea in full on romance shows they need the main characters since they are the main driving force and the whole premise is set around it. In EG you get thrown into a setting as I mentioned earlier just for it to end up being an excuse to establish a love triangle but not creating a romance per se. EG is listed as a romance but the romance should be secondary overall if the whole story is about Shu manipulating the people around him to get his revenge and not going lovey-dovey with them out of feelings no? Idk why you listed Futarou from QQ since it's a harem and harems tend to fully revolve around the main character with them being the only attraction most of the times. They whole show is designed around it and doesn't set up a whole world or unique setting for it to happen in but shows from the beginning that it's revolving around the mc and the girls feelings. Taking out Gojo from Dress up Darling wouldn't change a thing so to say, other than Marin pursuing her cosplay hobby at her own pace instead of relying on Gojo. And the show itself is build around progressing the plot forward while developing their relationship on the sideline instead of the other way around which is essentially what my problem with Engage Kiss is.

While I am able to understand your point, I still cannot really agree with you. Romance isn't secondary just because Shu is manipulating the girls. The romance starts of one-sided and turns genuine by the end. Romance is still core to the show. The MC is saved and eventually chooses to correct himself because of romance.

You said you are fine with one or two characters that uses love as the plot device. And that is what we got. Two females, Kisara and Ayano. I have already repeated that Sharon and Kanna are side characters and also not the love interest of the MC, nor do they try to be. They act in their own interest and it is clear to the audience that they are not considered inside the love triangle, except for those die-hard shippers who would deny logic just to ship them.

I also have to disagree that the girls fall in love with him for no apparent reason. Their motivations for loving him are not established early, but it becomes well established in the later parts after we have seen more of their backstories.

Kisara is saved by Shu, learns about the human world from him, sees his memories, and eventually falls for him. As she consumes her own memories to preserve Shu's memories, she becomes more clingy towards Shu as she basically remembers no one else except for him.

Ayano is Shu's childhood friend and she has loved him for a long time. They were in a relationship together when Shu decides to leave Ayano and seek Kisara because she is not strong enough. This does not stop her from loving Shu and she is jealous of Kisara because Kisara's position is what she could have been if it wasn't for her.

Take a look at Titanic for example. The sinking of Titanic is the main plot, but the show still revolves around the relationship between Jack and Jill and how they navigate through the tragedy. So you see, a romance show has to use love as a plot device. Without love, Jack would save himself while Jill gets on the lifeboat with her fiance. Without love, Kisara is just Shu's contract demon who follows his orders until eventually there is nothing left of him.

At the end of the day, I respect whatever opinions you have, and I also acknowledge that EK isn't perfect in every way. However, I believe I am able to appreciate the deeper aspects of the show more than the average joe does because of the way I enjoy analyzing the show that I watch. Lycoris Recoil is easily enjoyable to most, but it does not provide much depth beyond whatever is shown to the audience.
DragonTheOneSep 19, 2022 9:55 AM
Sep 19, 2022 2:07 PM

May 2013
EK's story started of very nebulous and created even more mysteries moving on while establishing the dynamics of the main cast. Ep 1-7 the first half which was basically the romcom part ended the phase with the biggest conflict between shu, kisara and ayano and I enjoyed this phase very much. Maruto once again showed how good he is at writing more mature love drama and a rivalry between the two main love interests.

The next couple episodes were probably my least favorite, it's like the staff forgot that there was still a main story to move forward and shifted the focus to conversations and characters we cared about little to nothing. It finally became interesting again with shu's struggle to kill miles and kisara seriously starting to worry about shu's mental state if he sacrifices more memories. The following reveals were good tho I didn't expect an all powerful demon being involved with shu's family, from here on kisara also completely takes over the show with her unconditional dedication and love for shu fully unfolding with him being on the brink of completely loosing himself. It goes full melodrama as he doesn't even know anymore for what he is fighting for and as we finally get so see the details of their contract.

This is easily my favorite part of the anime so far, it shows how complex and difficult shu's and kisara's 'partnership' and their feelings really are. The romance is really damn good when it gets serious but I also enjoyed the romcom parts and ayano and kisara's quarrels very much. The story how trashy and cliche it may be sometimes still is enjoyable and even introduced an interesting topic towards the end if it's possible that humans and demons could coexist especially with human demon hybrids existing since several hundred years already.

So yea this show is way more serious as it may seem at first glance, has a complex love story, great character designs and animation accompanied by some really good ost which especially shines in the climax scenes of some episodes.
Sep 22, 2022 11:34 AM
ダンダダン

Jun 2015
I’m so baffled that people rate this so highly I’m 4 or so episodes in and boy the characters are gettin on my nerves the animation is good and character design is good but plot is meh and characters are meh especially the main character how do people write characters like this a man with no redeeming qualities just randomly gets females falling for him and that pink haired girl just want problems always like chill anyway each to their own what is garbage to some is gold to others enjoy whatever u wanna enjoy I personally just find this really bad tbh most original anime’s are a hit or a miss some are good and some are bad

Sep 22, 2022 3:37 PM
Aug 2017
Youbamii said:
I’m so baffled that people rate this so highly I’m 4 or so episodes in and boy the characters are gettin on my nerves the animation is good and character design is good but plot is meh and characters are meh especially the main character how do people write characters like this a man with no redeeming qualities just randomly gets females falling for him and that pink haired girl just want problems always like chill anyway each to their own what is garbage to some is gold to others enjoy whatever u wanna enjoy I personally just find this really bad tbh most original anime’s are a hit or a miss some are good and some are bad

You are just a normie who needs a perfect and likable MC. SAO is for you.
Sep 22, 2022 7:42 PM
ダンダダン

Jun 2015
DragonTheOne said:
Youbamii said:

Normie lol go check my list and come back and say dat to my face, I don’t need likeable ones I like my mc to get better this dude doesn’t get better he gets worst with each episode but as I said what is trash for me is gold to u enjoy ur series bro no hard feelings u do u I will do me and dislike this trashy original anime I’m gonna watch shield hero s3 maybe I’ll come back to finish this for the sake of finishing

Sep 22, 2022 7:46 PM
Aug 2017
Youbamii said:
DragonTheOne said:

Normie lol go check my list and come back and say dat to my face, I don’t need likeable ones I like my mc to get better this dude doesn’t get better he gets worst with each episode but as I said what is trash for me is gold to u enjoy ur series bro no hard feelings u do u I will do me and dislike this trashy original anime I’m gonna watch shield hero s3 maybe I’ll come back to finish this for the sake of finishing

You can't blame my assumption when your entire rant is on the MC's having no redeeming qualities. No hard feelings, enjoy whatever you like and I do mine.
Sep 22, 2022 7:53 PM
ダンダダン

Jun 2015
DragonTheOne said:
Youbamii said:

You can't blame my assumption when your entire rant is on the MC's having no redeeming qualities. No hard feelings, enjoy whatever you like and I do mine.

Exactly some might enjoy this that’s perfect for dem but sadly it ain’t for me I’ll still come back to finish it tho since I already am like 5 episodes in and since I started it I gotta finish what I started

Sep 22, 2022 10:31 PM

May 2013
Youbamii said:

I can agree that the first episodes may be deterring for some mainly cause of how shu is written. But it's obvious isn't it that there are reasons for his behavior especially cause of his continuous memory loss and vengeance motivations. Have to say tho kisara from the beginning was a very misunderstood character and I felt sad that she got so much hate early on for being 'just another pink haired yandere'. Despite she was hard to read and seemed a bit mysterious it was clear that she always had the best in mind for shu and only beared geniune feelings for him, the yandere tendencies were just for the comedic relief.
Sep 23, 2022 4:37 AM
Tatakae
Feb 2020
kriissyy12 said:
Sorry Lycoris Recoil fans, but if we're talking about which one is actually better, Engage Kiss wins.

Lycoris Recoil is a pretty good buddy cop Anime with cute girls and great action scenes, but the writing, story and plot holes in the Anime are pretty bad. Engage Kiss is clearly the superior of the two, seeing it has great action scenes, cute girls but also good writing and an engaging story.

agree with everything you said. imo it’s easily one of the worst anime that aired this season, ppl aren’t ready for that convo yet.
Sep 23, 2022 4:38 AM
Tatakae
Feb 2020
Mq84jdk said:
kriissyy12 said:
Sorry Lycoris Recoil fans, but if we're talking about which one is actually better, Engage Kiss wins.

Lycoris Recoil is a pretty good buddy cop Anime with cute girls and great action scenes, but the writing, story and plot holes in the Anime are pretty bad. Engage Kiss is clearly the superior of the two, seeing it has great action scenes, cute girls but also good writing and an engaging story.

I’m starting to think people don’t know what the term plot hole means.
Theres definitely a number of plot holes 😂 if you don’t see them that’s fine though enjoy the shows you like. Engage kiss is simply better.
Sep 23, 2022 2:14 PM
Tatakae
Feb 2020
Cestlavie_ said:
TheHoodSenpai said:
Theres definitely a number of plot holes 😂 if you don’t see them that’s fine though enjoy the shows you like. Engage kiss is simply better.

I don't think you can really objectively say a show that can't even pass 7 as it rating is better than Lycoris
Engage kiss had hate on the first ep, it also has a lot of elements that offend ppl, you also can’t bring up objectivity when talking about anime Scores on MAL. Demon slayer had a generic plot and average writing yet you objectively think it better then 99% of anime because of the score? No you deduce it by the writing, Lycoris has borderline terrible writing with at least 3 or more plot holes that have an impact on the overarching narrative. Engage kiss has been consistent, knows what kind of anime it is looks to be wrapping up perfectly with no unanswered questions, all the characters have roles that impact the story and the world building is way better than lycoris.
Sep 23, 2022 2:54 PM
ダンダダン

Jun 2015
TheIsOtaku said:
Youbamii said:

I can agree that the first episodes may be deterring for some mainly cause of how shu is written. But it's obvious isn't it that there are reasons for his behavior especially cause of his continuous memory loss and vengeance motivations. Have to say tho kisara from the beginning was a very misunderstood character and I felt sad that she got so much hate early on for being 'just another pink haired yandere'. Despite she was hard to read and seemed a bit mysterious it was clear that she always had the best in mind for shu and only beared geniune feelings for him, the yandere tendencies were just for the comedic relief.

Yea I also thought about that as well but unfortunately my distaste in his behaviour was just too much, that pink haired girl seemed annoying but as u said she also seemed to be sorry for stealing his memories so I can at least give her a few points the blue haired gilt is pretty decent, I’ll try to finish this anime after shield hero s3 when I’m off from work on Monday so let’s see how the character of shuu progresses I’ll probably come back here to give my thoughts assuming the thread is still around

Sep 23, 2022 10:11 PM
Tatakae
Feb 2020
Cevoy said:
Engage Kiss is literally just seasonal bait garbage. It's the Takt Op. Destiny of the 2022 Summmer season
Funny you say this because I was thinking Lycoris was the Takt/ Detective is already dead flop of an anime this season.
Sep 23, 2022 11:48 PM

Oct 2016
Lycoris Recoil wins with no competition from this imo
Humans only live for a hundred years, it is as unreal as a dream that ends in an instant. What is the point of a person living in this world? No more than just being on a journey, and witnessing interesting things. Although I do not want to die, I do not fear death. I am already on my right path, I have no regrets even if I die.

— Fang Yuan (Reverend Insanity)
Sep 24, 2022 5:11 AM
Aug 2017
Siranto1 said:

Lycoris Recoil wins for the masses of normies. The entire appeal of the show is just Chisato which is created to be a flawless and likable character with no depth.

It's good for light-hearted entertainment but otherwise it has a shallow plot. Can't say I am surprised by it's popularity when majority of anime viewers are teenagers.
DragonTheOneSep 24, 2022 5:14 AM
Sep 24, 2022 10:42 AM

Oct 2016
DragonTheOne said:
Siranto1 said:

Lycoris Recoil wins for the masses of normies. The entire appeal of the show is just Chisato which is created to be a flawless and likable character with no depth.

It's good for light-hearted entertainment but otherwise it has a shallow plot. Can't say I am surprised by it's popularity when majority of anime viewers are teenagers.

I don't think Engage Kiss has any more of a in depth plot than Lycoris Recoil but in the first place not every anime has to have a complicated story in order to be enjoyable (rather a simple well told story is way better than an overcomplicated mess of a story which info dumps you every few episodes imo). And in terms of enjoyment, Lycoris Recoil is way better for me than the trashy Engage Kiss. Just adding a bunch of flaws to the main character does not make an anime fun to watch (and they don't even affect Shu much cause all the girls are madly in love with him regardless).
Siranto1Sep 24, 2022 10:50 AM
Humans only live for a hundred years, it is as unreal as a dream that ends in an instant. What is the point of a person living in this world? No more than just being on a journey, and witnessing interesting things. Although I do not want to die, I do not fear death. I am already on my right path, I have no regrets even if I die.

Sep 24, 2022 11:33 AM

Jun 2017
I also think LycoReco shits on this but I can't call this one bad either, it comes second. It's rare for an original to be good but to get two good ones in a row is pretty insane.

Gave this a solid 8 because of the ending, I didn't expect to have anything decent but they resolved enough and there was potential left for S2. If it was really meh ending I would have only given a 7.

Takt Op doesn't even come close to these two lmao.
Sep 24, 2022 11:57 AM

Mar 2016
The funny thing is that Engage Kiss was perhaps like a handful of adjustments here and there away from being at least comparable to LycoReco. Instead I only saw it as a flopping fish out of water that had way too many dumb contrivances and lackluster buildup. While I feel like LycoReco accomplished what it needed to do and stayed true to itself to the very end, Engage Kiss throttled itself head along through a bunch of weird drama and plot choices that made little sense in the end, plus the conclusion (at least for this cour if the 2nd cour is confirmed an actuality) felt unearned. Funny enough, it was also a series that tried to balance the lighthearted and the serious, but it was so haphazardly handled. I especially felt the character dynamics are uninspiring and lackluster at best, especially when it's basically just all the girls (the frigging sister included) wanting the guy's fucking dick.
In the end, regardless of how anyone feels about LycoReco, Engage Kiss wound up as just another generic urban fantasy harem series. I doubt a 2nd Cour will show any improvement given how this one concluded.
Sep 24, 2022 12:24 PM
Aug 2017
Ryuseishun said:
The funny thing is that Engage Kiss was perhaps like a handful of adjustments here and there away from being at least comparable to LycoReco. Instead I only saw it as a flopping fish out of water that had way too many dumb contrivances and lackluster buildup. While I feel like LycoReco accomplished what it needed to do and stayed true to itself to the very end, Engage Kiss throttled itself head along through a bunch of weird drama and plot choices that made little sense in the end, plus the conclusion (at least for this cour if the 2nd cour is confirmed an actuality) felt unearned. Funny enough, it was also a series that tried to balance the lighthearted and the serious, but it was so haphazardly handled. I especially felt the character dynamics are uninspiring and lackluster at best, especially when it's basically just all the girls (the frigging sister included) wanting the guy's fucking dick.
In the end, regardless of how anyone feels about LycoReco, Engage Kiss wound up as just another generic urban fantasy harem series. I doubt a 2nd Cour will show any improvement given how this one concluded.

As a big fan of Engage Kiss, I concede that the ending felt lackluster. For me, the peak is in Episodes 3,5,7, 9 and 11 where the melodrama was so well executed that it makes me empathize with the characters more than in the other anime that I am watching.
Sep 24, 2022 12:35 PM
Dec 2021
I agree that this is the best A-1 anime original of the season.
Sep 24, 2022 2:24 PM
Aug 2017
Siranto1 said:
DragonTheOne said:

I don't think Engage Kiss has any more of a in depth plot than Lycoris Recoil but in the first place not every anime has to have a complicated story in order to be enjoyable (rather a simple well told story is way better than an overcomplicated mess of a story which info dumps you every few episodes imo). And in terms of enjoyment, Lycoris Recoil is way better for me than the trashy Engage Kiss. Just adding a bunch of flaws to the main character does not make an anime fun to watch (and they don't even affect Shu much cause all the girls are madly in love with him regardless).

I can't relate much to Lycoris Recoil characters, and their drama is barely dramatic. Let's just agree to disagree.
Sep 24, 2022 3:03 PM

Sep 2018
DragonTheOne said:

I can't relate much to Lycoris Recoil characters, and their drama is barely dramatic. Let's just agree to disagree.

I thought LR was okay, but there was something rather tick box about it, and the doubling down on their cartoon villain spoiled it for me.

EK was just much messier and well... engaging.

And whereas LR's final episode was all tidy with a bow on top, EK's was just the kind of mess you'd expect Shuu to end up in.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Sep 24, 2022 3:35 PM

Oct 2016
DragonTheOne said:
Siranto1 said:

Sure that's fine with me

Sep 24, 2022 5:38 PM

Mar 2021
Funny how most of the hate comes from what a toxic man shu is and how it is a trashy harem and a lot of them dont seem to have watched past 3 episodes.
Mal is seriously filled to the brim with unemployed puritans.

she hulk and batwoman are like the perfect shows for the sensitive audience here.
Sep 25, 2022 2:15 PM
Mar 2019
Ryuseishun said:
The funny thing is that Engage Kiss was perhaps like a handful of adjustments here and there away from being at least comparable to LycoReco. Instead I only saw it as a flopping fish out of water that had way too many dumb contrivances and lackluster buildup. While I feel like LycoReco accomplished what it needed to do and stayed true to itself to the very end, Engage Kiss throttled itself head along through a bunch of weird drama and plot choices that made little sense in the end, plus the conclusion (at least for this cour if the 2nd cour is confirmed an actuality) felt unearned. Funny enough, it was also a series that tried to balance the lighthearted and the serious, but it was so haphazardly handled. I especially felt the character dynamics are uninspiring and lackluster at best.

It is really funny/weird that you think this, because IMHO it is the opposite for me.

Lycoris tried to have its cake and eat it too, it started as a CGDCT, but then it got darker with the terrorists and
, but it refused to commit to those plots so everything got solved in 5 minutes and everyone had a happy ending without any conflict.
Sep 25, 2022 2:52 PM

Mar 2016
portella0 said:
Ryuseishun said:
The funny thing is that Engage Kiss was perhaps like a handful of adjustments here and there away from being at least comparable to LycoReco. Instead I only saw it as a flopping fish out of water that had way too many dumb contrivances and lackluster buildup. While I feel like LycoReco accomplished what it needed to do and stayed true to itself to the very end, Engage Kiss throttled itself head along through a bunch of weird drama and plot choices that made little sense in the end, plus the conclusion (at least for this cour if the 2nd cour is confirmed an actuality) felt unearned. Funny enough, it was also a series that tried to balance the lighthearted and the serious, but it was so haphazardly handled. I especially felt the character dynamics are uninspiring and lackluster at best.

It is really funny/weird that you think this, because IMHO it is the opposite for me.

Lycoris tried to have its cake and eat it too, it started as a CGDCT, but then it got darker with the terrorists and
, but it refused to commit to those plots so everything got solved in 5 minutes and everyone had a happy ending without any conflict.

I mean, that's your preference with the duality of tones, not mine. So maybe Engage Kiss fit better for you somehow in the end despite being so standard level in the end at best. Not that it was inherently any better, though, cause the conclusion of that still fundamentally sucked.
Sep 26, 2022 10:04 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
Thread locked for being a random X vs Y thread.

Anime Discussion Rules 2: Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage discussion; e.g. random "xx vs. yy", picture collecting, etc.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Engage Kiss Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2022

131 by spicarie »»
Apr 17, 5:19 AM

Poll: » Engage Kiss Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2022

78 by spicarie »»
Apr 17, 4:08 AM

Poll: » Engage Kiss Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2022

93 by spicarie »»
Apr 17, 12:47 AM

Poll: » Engage Kiss Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2022

181 by Kaeicap »»
Mar 5, 10:15 AM

Poll: » Engage Kiss Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2022

106 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
Jan 31, 2:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.