Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 16, 2022 4:42 AM

Sep 2011
This thread is similar to what I created on Little Busters a decade ago. And as obvious as it sounds from the title alone, this thread will contain MAJOR SPOILERS.

Feel free to discuss anything such as on how this anime will adapt the visual novel and any sort of feedback on the anime once it starts airing from visual novel player perspective.

Before I start, I think there is a possibility that we will get some news, hopefully with a trailer too, at the end of July or at the beginning of August because you know... summer.

As for how adaptation goes, yes indeed that this is kinda easy to adapt but as long as the studio can make the emotional scenes very emotional and will contain 24 episodes, then I am all good. As I don't really want to ride the Key/KyoAni bandwagon fandom and as much as I do not want to admit, I seriously think KyoAni has the best potential that can pull the emotional scenes very emotional. To be frank, I am not really fan of the emotional scenes on Summer Pockets because I find them extremely melodramatic so I seriously think a good studio is needed to adapt those scenes perfectly that will tug the audiences' hearts even if they were extremely melodramatic. But, unfortunately, KyoAni will not do any adaptations from Key works and I do not want JC Staff to handle this.

For heroine routes, I am not exactly sure if this anime will only contain the 4 original heroines' routes or will they include RB routes. I am not a fan of RB routes so I am fine if either they will not be adapted or, similar to LB EX, they will be adapted later after Alka and Pocket routes.

For route order, this is considering 4 SP routes will only be adapted, the best that I could think of is:
Shiroha beginning -> (All scenes of Shiroha's route will merge with other heroines' route) Tsumugi -> Kamome -> Ao(With altering her ending that Hairi managed to wake her up/was able to catch Ao's iridescent shade) -> Shiroha end. And, as the heroine route passes, we will see Umi's decline.

or

Shiroha beginning -> (All scenes of Shiroha's route will merge with other heroines' route) Tsumugi -> Kamome -> Ao(With altering her ending that Hairi managed to wake her up/was able to catch Ao's iridescent shade) -> Shiroha end with mixing Alka route.

Or fuck it just do it on omnibus format so I can have Ao off-screen seggs scene and to able to show Umi's decline better.

For OST, of course nothing beats Hourglass Of Summer for emotional scenes as I hope they will use this OST if they are planning to adapt only the 4 SP routes.

For episode count, to be honest, I "think" all 4 SP routes, Alka, and Pocket routes can be done in 24-26 episodes. Although, if I want to go on the safer side, then 24 episodes for SP routes and then 12 episodes for Alka and Pocket. But seriously, 12 episodes for Alka and Pocket routes seems too much or it is just me.

Anyway, that is my take for this anime adaptation for now. Once again, I just hope this adaptation will not turn out to be another Rewrite and I seriously wish for Rewrite remake. Even if Summer Pockets feels inferior compared to Clannad and Little Busters in my opinion of course, I seriously hope for a good adaptation.

Jul 16, 2022 10:30 AM

Oct 2015
I prefer that they wont do any character route order as anime can’t do non linear plot
It will feel really bad if for example they will adapt any critical tsumugi plot with basically anything other after. possible but it is really hard to make it works
Also making the mc jump from one character to another is really meh

So shiroha+true end... and add a lot of parts from each character route (obviously bromance route too!)

I don’t want to see another thing like aokana that basically killed the mc, some side characters and did 0 plot from routes

Best part about SP is the common route so just give me it with heroines route plot in it (= when you can select heroine in the map before getting locked to her route ) some parts from the heroines routes that aren’t any critical (+ true end) and i will be happy
Jul 18, 2022 3:29 AM

Sep 2011
talortoo said:
I prefer that they wont do any character route order as anime can’t do non linear plot
It will feel really bad if for example they will adapt any critical tsumugi plot with basically anything other after. possible but it is really hard to make it works
Also making the mc jump from one character to another is really meh

So shiroha+true end... and add a lot of parts from each character route (obviously bromance route too!)

Key is already known for having a MC jumps from one character/heroine to another. And what I think about adaptating Tsumugi's route is by doing what KyoAni did to Fuko's route. After all, most routes of Summer Pockets are insanely similar to Fuko's route(People suddenly forgetting the heroine at some point until the heroine is completely forgotten). This can be also done on Kamome's route. Something like this:

Tsumugi's route and end -> casts forget about her then move on the next route -> Kamome's route and end -> casts forget about her then move on the next route

I don't know if it is possible to make them a cameo appearance from time to time just like what KyoAni did to Fuko. Speaking of Tsumugi's route, I hope they can make Tsumugi's route as emotional as KyoAni Kanon's Makoto's route.

talortoo said:

Best part about SP is the common route so just give me it with heroines route plot in it (= when you can select heroine in the map before getting locked to her route ) some parts from the heroines routes that aren’t any critical (+ true end) and i will be happy

I also like the common route of Summer Pockets and I personally prefer Summer Pocket's common route more than Little Busters' so I hope I'd get to see a lot of them getting animated, especially Hairi's interactions with the bros, Ao, and Shiroha.

Aug 15, 2022 10:59 AM

Jan 2017
Kamome's end is kinda weird ngl so I'm really interested on how the anime will handle that. Other than that SP should be easier to adapt than say... Rewrite? lel

instant 0/10 if there's no Islamon battles šŸ˜¤
Aug 20, 2022 6:44 AM

Sep 2011
FragmantLemon said:
Other than that SP should be easier to adapt than say... Rewrite? lel

Adapting Summer Pockets might be somehow similar to how Little Busters was adapted. Rewrite's case is a whole different level. Either be faithful to the source material by doing omnibus format or make a complete original story, which they took the latter but look what happened.

Sep 29, 2022 10:03 PM

Jan 2015
24-26 episodes should be enough for a good adaptation including Alka and Pocket, but it will never happen. Lower your expectations because it’s never gonna be as good as the VN. The real question is if Reflection Blue‘s routes will be included. Hopefully, so I can see Shiki animated.
Oct 2, 2022 11:08 PM
Apr 2021
Xenocrisi said:
24-26 episodes should be enough for a good adaptation including Alka and Pocket, but it will never happen. Lower your expectations because it’s never gonna be as good as the VN. The real question is if Reflection Blue‘s routes will be included. Hopefully, so I can see Shiki animated.

24 episodes is not to have too high hopes? anyway that would be nice.
Dec 14, 2022 11:50 PM
Jan 2022
Tennouji said:
I seriously wish for Rewrite remake.

Don't we all? I absolutely hate that Rewrite (both visual novel and anime) are considered the flops of Key's mainline titles. Rewrite simply isn't for Key fans, but I just know Rewrite could find a big non-Key following if given a good adaption to be able to stand as tall as the other Key mainline titles knowing that it's just as strong, even if it's not as popular with the average Key fan.

Tennouji said:
But, unfortunately, KyoAni will not do any adaptations from Key works and I do not want JC Staff to handle this.

Yeah, I think KyoAni would only ever go back to working with Key again for at least one title if it's either Tomoyo After to simply complete the CLANNAD franchise, or if Key created something that was even bigger and more revolutionary, influential, or emotional than CLANNAD which definitely won't happen (but even if it did, they probably wouldn't fully adapt it anyway), so we're left waiting for Tomoyo After. I agree with the J.C. Staff sentiment. I really hope they don't plan on having any long-term ties with J.C. Staff because the Little Busters! adaption lacked so much soul, originality, care, and passion. KyoAni was able to bring the characters to life with their Key trilogy that both the Little Busters! and Rewrite anime lacked, and that's bad since Key stories are more efficient when the adaption puts actual effort into creating the world and bringing the characters to life. Summer Pockets especially needs an adaption with actual effort because this is Key's first work since AIR where bringing the town to life in the anime format is such an important aspect that benefits the story, interactions, and atmosphere.

Xenocrisi said:
24-26 episodes should be enough for a good adaptation including Alka and Pocket, but it will never happen. Lower your expectations because it’s never gonna be as good as the VN.

Given that Rewrite was given 24 episodes to adapt all of it's story and I'm 90% sure Aniplex will be part of the Summer Pockets anime since they've been working with Key for a while now, I think there's a pretty good chance it'll get around 24 episodes. Worst case scenario, it gets 13 episodes, but even then, if they rework the story with Shiroha, Alka, and Pocket in an anime-original way, it can still work. Let's just be thankful it isn't nearly as bad as Rewrite's situation with Moon and Terra making the story impossible to be adapted given time constraints.
Jan 1, 2023 7:52 PM

Jul 2015
I agree that 24-26 episodes is enough to decently adapt all the routes and ALKA/pockets, splitting it up into two cours.  

- Cour 1: Tsumugi, Kamome, Ao
- Cour 2: Shiroha, ALKA, pocket.

Shizuku and Nomiki's routes don't add too much to the story, so they aren't very relevant. Unlike, Shiki's route gives a lot of information to better understand the central plot and also this route is necessary for the happy ending (which was not present in the original VN). 

So the ideal for me would be to add a third cour/season (I know it's unlikely, but I can dream):

- Cour 1: Tsumugi, Kamome, Ao
- Cour 2: Shizuku, Nomiki, Shiki
- Cour 3: Shiroha, ALKA, pocket
- OVA: Umi.

There could be a time reset for each cour and show Umi's decline.
Mar 20, 2023 6:07 AM

Feb 2018
I prefer a forward storyline rather than having to pick a heroine one by one like amagami ss/seiren/photokano
May 13, 2023 2:23 AM

Jun 2016
Tennouji said:
I am not a fan of RB routes so I am fine if either they will not be adapted

watafak
Shiki > Rest of SP Heroines > All Key Heroines

In all seriousness though,

Route order, I would guess
Shiroha -> Kamome -> Tsumugi -> Ao -> Alka/Pocket (Since Tsumugi's route is significantly more supernatural than Kamome)
-But I'm hoping for
Shiroha -> Kamome -> Umi -> Tsumugi -> Ao -> Shiki -> Alka/Pocket(Would also be the 'best' for emotional impact imo)

Length - Obviously, Summer Pockets will need to be 2 cours if it wants to break the recent key adaptation disaster chain.
Realistically speaking, I think 4 eps works for each route, 3 could work for Shiroha. Then something like 8-10 for Alka and Pocket. I really don't think Summer Pockets will be pushing past 2 cours unless they're planning on adapting all the Reflection Blue routes.
-I also don't think it'll be 1 cour either. Especially after Jun Maeda's fiasco Kamisama and the backlash with Rewrite. It's not like the staff are deaf and Visual Arts are producers for all key adaptations.

As for studio, I'd like to see Kyoani, but it could be anyone. If not Kyoani, then Cloverworks (highly doubt tho) or PA works (also doubt). Honestly, I don't really mind as long as it's not J.C.

Reflection Blue routes, Shiki has a very good chance at being included in the adaptation I'd say, since she is the new cover girl for RB and is Umi's savior in the 2nd epilogue of RB. Her route also explores time travel significantly more and ties it into the history of the island. I haven't actually read the original SP, but afaik the ending was a bit inconclusive regarding Umi. 
Also Shiki is best Key heroine.
Umi, Miki, and Shizuku, I can't really say. Umi aside, I don't think it's possible to fit in Miki and Shizuku without going 3 cours, which is unlikely imo. Tho I don't really care much for Miki and Shizuku route so that's fine with me lol

I do agree that SP is a bit more on the melodramatic side. It also doesn't help that every route was like half as long as a Clannad or Little Busters route. Really just depends on the staff working on the adaptation, but I can't imagine it's going to be easy.  Especially for scenes like Shiroha's 'marriage' with Hairi or agreeing to be Umi's 'mom' which already felt like a bit of a stretch in the vn.

As for OST, I prefer See, you, next and See, you, again over Hourglass of Summer, but I'd like both to be included in the adaptation.

I liked SP more than Clannad and Little Busters even if the plot was weaker. Shiki, Kamome, Ao, and Shiroha were just a step above most Key Heroine's for me and key works are nakige's. But- Yeah, just give us a good adaptation with Shiki, that's all I want. If there's no Shiki, Imma die inside.

--
Also no real major news since this threads creation and no pv so... 

Maybe a PV this summer?/year with a Spring-Summer 2024 release?
InorichiMay 13, 2023 2:34 AM
May 13, 2023 3:02 AM

Jun 2016
Inorichi said:
watafak
Shiki > Rest of SP Heroines
Shiki only exists as waifu-bait for waifufags like you. She's an unnecessary addition.
May 13, 2023 11:04 AM

Jun 2016
Edocchi said:
Inorichi said:
watafak
Shiki only exists as waifu-bait for waifufags like you. She's an unnecessary addition.

Wdyem... Shiki is the only heroine that contributed to her own route. All the other heroines got a happy end handout. 

Not even a valid statement when Mugyu and Oppai are routes.
Jul 2, 2023 12:20 AM
Jan 2023
Edocchi said:
Inorichi said:
watafak
What a miserable opinion. Sure, Shiki is entirely optional and only a bonus addition to the VN but a good one and one of the most emotional ones with the greatest sacrifice, even more so than Umi. She also helps Umi in her route and thus indirectly saves Umi's parents, too. I wasn't a big fan of some of her route elements and just how goofy at times it came off compared to some of its far more serious tones but the good parts were great, especially the story elements surrounding her reason for becoming a villain and the changes in history and how she was perceived. Still, I resonated more with her goal, strength of will, and overall story than the character Shiki herself. She is, as a character, one of my lesser choices.
Syureria said:
I prefer a forward storyline rather than having to pick a heroine one by one like amagami ss/seiren/photokano
I've never played any of those and am not sure if you've played Summer Pockets but you can pick a single story route and get a satisfying single story if you want. That said, they're all connected into one big story (all of the routes are canon different inter-mingled timelines and do-overs).

If you haven't played it and want a single significant story route then I suggest simply getting Refrain Blue for the full proper core route involving Shiroha and Umi. Then do Shiroha's route first, download a 100% completed save, do the true routes which are essentially an extension of Shiroha's first route in a retake (you could technically skip her first route but tbh for proper cohesion and because it did happen and is cannon I recommend doing it). Skip the rest if you don't want the others. This is the beefiest chunk of the game involving one large story and character route. That said, as you might have gathered if you've looked online at which character is most popular you might also want to consider Ao's route at some point because it is great. :P

As for the expected anime routes I highly doubt they will do any of the bonus routes except "maybe" Umi's & Shiroha's extended ending. I don't see Tsumugi getting a full proper or accurate adapted route, either considering as good as it is the route is a bit strange at times. Kamome will probably be mainly a supporting character and not even have her route pursued though it would be cool to see her have a side story mini-arc at some point as she was one of my least favorites but her story definitely has some bite to it after it builds up even if it is frankly quite irrelevant to the other arcs and story. I expect most likely they will stick to Shiroha and Umi's routes and then somehow work in Umi's degrading condition rather than adapting each route, but we'll see... If they're not totally tone def towards fan opinion they will at least showcase Ao's route or do a side story adapting hers separate from this adaptation cour.
Jul 2, 2023 3:05 AM

Feb 2018
Markis86 said:
If you haven't played it and want a single significant story route then I suggest simply getting Refrain Blue for the full proper core route involving Shiroha and Umi. Then do Shiroha's route first, download a 100% completed save, do the true routes which are essentially an extension of Shiroha's first route in a retake (you could technically skip her first route but tbh for proper cohesion and because it did happen and is cannon I recommend doing it). Skip the rest if you don't want the others. This is the beefiest chunk of the game involving one large story and character route. That said, as you might have gathered if you've looked online at which character is most popular you might also want to consider Ao's route at some point because it is great. :P

As for the expected anime routes I highly doubt they will do any of the bonus routes except "maybe" Umi's & Shiroha's extended ending. I don't see Tsumugi getting a full proper or accurate adapted route, either considering as good as it is the route is a bit strange at times. Kamome will probably be mainly a supporting character and not even have her route pursued though it would be cool to see her have a side story mini-arc at some point as she was one of my least favorites but her story definitely has some bite to it after it builds up even if it is frankly quite irrelevant to the other arcs and story. I expect most likely they will stick to Shiroha and Umi's routes and then somehow work in Umi's degrading condition rather than adapting each route, but we'll see... If they're not totally tone def towards fan opinion they will at least showcase Ao's route or do a side story adapting hers separate from this adaptation cour.
I have already played Samapoke and Reflection Blue... In fact, I bought a signed copy of Samapoke last year in 2020, and I loved it. I still have it stored away and it's still sealed, mwehehe.

I don't know why, but I feel like the routes of Shiroha, Umi, and even the other girls are garbage. Out of all the routes, I really liked Oppai Senpai, Shizuku truly ruined the romantic moment on the beach. I just realized that Samapoke actually has a progressing storyline and coinnected into one big story as you mentioned, lul tysm.

Jul 3, 2023 6:43 PM
Jan 2023
Syureria said:
Markis86 said:

I have already played Samapoke and Reflection Blue... In fact, I bought a signed copy of Samapoke last year in 2020, and I loved it. I still have it stored away and it's still sealed, mwehehe.

I don't know why, but I feel like the routes of Shiroha, Umi, and even the other girls are garbage. Out of all the routes, I really liked Oppai Senpai, Shizuku truly ruined the romantic moment on the beach. I just realized that Samapoke actually has a progressing storyline and coinnected into one big story as you mentioned, lul tysm.

Yeah, I was a little surprised with the routes and my take on them as well.

I initially went in expected off the VNDB character descriptions and intro section before each character route thinking Kamome would be my favorite, then Shiroha, and maybe Ao.

What I ended up finding was...

Shiroha initially was kind of lukewarm until
as my first route

My second route was Ao but I almost quit after Shiroha not because it was bad but because I felt it was only "decent" and I might look for a different VN if they all felt not fully complete but saw someone else's review mentioning boob sempai's (Shizuku) route, Ao's, etc. I decided to give Ao a second chance even though I liked her start but felt questionable after seeing more of her in Shiroha's route as maybe kind of not my thing and ended up absolutely loving her route as my favorite by the end of the game. Meanwhile, Kamome's minor interactions turned me way away from her and I rolled back a save to follow Shiroha instead in first playthrough.

The next two surprised me because I really did not initially expect to like them and would have normally never even touched their routes but after Ao's route and seeing the review praising boob sempai's route I decided to do Tsumugi's and Shizuku's. At first I seriously did not care for Tsumugi's airhead nature and odd pringles can plan. However, interacting with her character and also Tsumugi in their friendship and everyone else as they tied in caused the two to grow on me and Tsumugi had a very strong late route despite starting off incredibly weak. Then I knew I had to give Shizuku a try after that and despite being very separate from the main story's events and having an interesting twist that was guessable based on paying attention and good forshadowing but leaving you doubting due to other routes uncertain I eventually finished it and quite loved it. I appreciated her own complexes and the reasoning behind her boob related behaviors though I don't feel it was nearly as well done as Ao's perverted underlying explanations.

I ended up finishing it and am glad I did. The green hair girl, Miki's route was a probably my least favorite due to the dreams and overall character arc, aside from Umi's totally random irrelevant bonus route (not the true route), though I liked the themes and ending of Miki's. Kamome's I finally pushed through and while I still hate the earlier part once they got on the train tracks and it started picking up it got much better and had a good if not slightly finish.

I loved seeing Umi's changes along the way and the
with her and Shiroha as my second favorite after Ao's.

Shiki's was another great one that I felt started terribly and I felt I couldn't stand this random nonsensical hyper food guzzling super childish girl only for her to probably be the one who gave me the biggest impact in terms of her strength of character and drive and her tie in with Umi's extended ending in Refrain Blue.

Lots of surprises. After Ao my favorite character is probably Umi. I loved her writing and despite seeing her repeat in the storylines with slightly changing dialogue
and outcomes tying into the big story they made her a very lovable character that never grew tiring where I originally didn't think I would like her similar to initial take on Tsumugi.

It had its shortcomings, too, but it was a good VN and its hard to find another to follow up after that. Usually I'm not a fan of multiple route VNs, either. I'm glad I didn't discover it until Refrain Blue though as I wouldn't have liked the original nearly as much, personally.
Sep 1, 2023 2:53 AM

Feb 2018
Ah, just opened the threads again, and reading of your spoilers and summarize, it was helpful for me, just forgotten almost over the story but you remind me with your post, thank you so much.

More topics from this board

» The announcement was just a prank bro?

DoggywithRem - Nov 20, 2022

9 by DoggywithRem »»
Apr 9, 5:00 PM

» What to expect.

TomatoSempai - Jan 11, 2022

14 by Markis86 »»
Feb 23, 2023 11:20 AM

» Looks like we need to wait for a while

_anixia - Dec 31, 2022

6 by _anixia »»
Jan 4, 2023 4:35 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.