Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 4, 2022 12:57 PM
Jan 2021
Komi’s only normal friends are Tadano and Najami. Every one else around her just has an unhealthy obsession with her and I feel like she just wants to call them “friends” because they favor her and she wants to make 100. Her classmates guard her and call her the queen of the class or something because she’s attractive. Ren was a stalker and kidnapped her friend but yet is somehow important to Komi and became friends with her stalker… She has a friend who acts kind of like a dog and Komi is her owner…the list continues. But the point the main is Komi doesn’t really have friends, just fans or obsessed over her. This is solely s1 so I might feel different about s2.
sailorday-Jul 4, 2022 7:22 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 4, 2022 1:03 PM
Nov 2019
sailorday- said:
Komi’s only normal friends are Tadano and Najami. Every one else around her just has an unhealthy obsession with her and I feel like she just wants to call them “friends” because they favor her and she wants to make 100. Her classmates guard her and call her the queen of the class or something because she’s attractive. Ren was a stalker and kidnapped her friend but yet is somehow important to Komi and became friends with her stalker… She has a friend who acts kind of like a dog and Komi is her owner…the list continues. But the point the main is Komi doesn’t really have friends, just fans or obsessed over her. This is solely s1 so I might feel different about s2.

Your forum says “no friends” and then you say “normal friends” pick an argument 😂
Jul 4, 2022 1:04 PM
Oct 2021
tbh your completely correct
Jul 4, 2022 1:07 PM
Oct 2020
Yeah i think that is definetly true to some degree, i do think that she does have more ”normal friends” other than tadano and najimi. But even though some characters just think of her as a god i still think you can count them as her friends, because they like hanging out with each other and care about each other, and even though some people have that obsessive relationship with komi i think she still appreciates them as her friends.
Jul 4, 2022 1:08 PM
Jan 2021
Codonaine said:
sailorday- said:

Your forum says “no friends” and then you say “normal friends” pick an argument 😂
it’s easier saying no friends if i only had to exclude 2 ppl compared to the many other characters. not an argument just an highly opinionated forum post. and how specific do i have to be? wth
Jul 4, 2022 1:08 PM
Feb 2021
I personally think the Kyoto trip girls are definitely Komi’s actual friends, along with Najimi and Tadano. Not sure about the rest of them.

Edit: Also, Kaede and Onemime are probably Komi’s friends too! I like Makoto but he views Komi as a mentor, and not a friend. I have mixed feelings on the chuuni girl, but she seems to genuinely care about Komi somewhat.
choisokJul 8, 2022 2:14 PM
Jul 4, 2022 1:09 PM
Nov 2019
sailorday- said:
Codonaine said:

it’s easier saying no friends if i only had to exclude 2 ppl compared to the many other characters. not an argument just an highly opinionated forum post. and how specific do i have to be? wth

Try to avoid confusion next time tho 😭
Jul 4, 2022 1:10 PM
May 2022
ikr!!? I also thought the same thing while watching them literally worshipped her lol.

Jul 4, 2022 1:10 PM
Jun 2021
yeah, but i literally don't care
Jul 4, 2022 1:11 PM
May 2022
I hate Ren the most

Jul 4, 2022 1:13 PM

Jul 2020
yeah, i think the show has so much potential & it would be so much better if all the side characters weren’t complete creeps
Jul 4, 2022 1:14 PM
Oct 2020
sailorday- said:

I think Tadano is actually her only normal friend since Najimi is a friend with the whole universe
Jul 4, 2022 1:17 PM

Mar 2020
choisok said:
I personally think the Kyoto trip girls are definitely Komi’s actual friends, along with Najimi and Tadano. Not sure about the rest of them.
I would also add onemine (older sister) to that list.
Jul 4, 2022 1:29 PM
Apr 2018
I cant disagree with what youre saying, if she wasnt attractive it would be a whole diferent manga, that being said its an anime i wont be taking it seriously or i wont be enjoying most of it. i dont think they define "friend" and what it means to them too.
Jul 4, 2022 1:32 PM
Jul 2022
Why not just enjoy the show for how wholesome it is?
Jul 4, 2022 1:35 PM
May 2021
I’d add Otori and Onemine to the normal friends list, they’re chill
Jul 4, 2022 1:39 PM
Nov 2021
sailorday- said:

I definitely read that whole paragraph and definitely didn’t stop after the first sentence. Very informative and straight to the point. Good on you.
Your points have gotten through to me.
Jul 4, 2022 1:45 PM
Jul 2018
I agree completely. I never really understood the hype around this show.
Jul 4, 2022 1:49 PM

Aug 2015
You have to keep in mind that with as gargantuan a cast as Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu., it's difficult to afford depth for every individual character. I think everyone being obsessed with Shouko is supposed to be taken lightly if anything, since some background characters would otherwise never have a reason (or opportunity) to appear.

That said, ensemble casts CAN be done well with good characterization for all (as seen in Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo), but Komi-san introduced too many characters at once to succeed as well as it could've. What we're left with is a supporting cast composed of characters with ONE defining personality trait or gimmick. In my opinion, however, this series is carried not by individuals, but by the group dynamics of the cast - the result of which is a living, breathing world.

Just remember what we have is still preferable to background ""characters"" with ZERO defining personality traits or appearances, as seen in [insert generic Slice-of-Life].
Jul 4, 2022 2:02 PM

Jun 2021
thats kind of the point. she has no friends despite her "popularity", but she makes actual/normal friends over the course of the story
Jul 4, 2022 2:28 PM
Jan 2021
GameBlaster257 said:
Why not just enjoy the show for how wholesome it is?
i can still criticize a show and express my dislikes no matter how wholesome it is.
Jul 4, 2022 2:28 PM
May 2022
hmmmm ,i think Tadano , najimi , manbagi , oneminee and kaede are her friends. the rest of it just her fans.
it because (najimi, oneminee case) they are tadano's friend at first,and tadano always with komi,so they interact with komi too.(CMIIW)
Jul 4, 2022 2:37 PM
BIG SCHLONG MAN
Apr 2020
I agree with you despite loving the series. I'm holding out hope that the characters will eventually develop healthy feelings for Komi, yet I also recognize how that would destroy the comedic writing. Personally, I don't really care what they do tbh.
I pretend I'm funny
Jul 4, 2022 2:43 PM
Mar 2022
Season 2 is basically just more of season 1 to be honest. Though I would say she makes a few actual friends in season 2.
Jul 4, 2022 2:50 PM
May 2021
There's a few other than those 2, like Onemine, Otori, Ase, and the trip girls. She will also get more next year (season 3). But yeah I agree that most are iffy to count as "friends".
Jul 4, 2022 3:09 PM
Feb 2021
Monrello said:
You have to keep in mind that with as gargantuan a cast as Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu., it's difficult to afford depth for every individual character. I think everyone being obsessed with Shouko is supposed to be taken lightly if anything, since some background characters would otherwise never have a reason (or opportunity) to appear.

That said, ensemble casts CAN be done well with good characterization for all (as seen in Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo), but Komi-san introduced too many characters at once to succeed as well as it could've. What we're left with is a supporting cast composed of characters with ONE defining personality trait or gimmick. In my opinion, however, this series is carried not by individuals, but by the group dynamics of the cast - the result of which is a living, breathing world.

Just remember what we have is still preferable to background ""characters"" with ZERO defining personality traits or appearances, as seen in [insert generic Slice-of-Life].

I so agree. I was thinking the same thing last night. Most chacaters, especially in the manga, have one thing going for them and that’s their whole personality, and it’s really annoying, only a couple chacaters get even any development in any way excluding Komi, Tadano, and Manbagi (manga chacater), but it’s not like that completely ruins it, they need a reason to appear and their dynamic makes the story what it is.
Jul 4, 2022 3:17 PM

Apr 2012
You look too superficially and too deeply at the same time on this show. If you close your eyes to Komi herself and her social phobia, the main theme of the anime is also the importance of friendship with people who may seem eccentric, but are kind inside.

For example, Ootori may seem like an autistic parody taken to the extreme, but she's just an easy-going and good-natured person who has a positive attitude towards everything. Najimy seems completely insane and annoying, but they are also the perfect childhood friend who helps and supports all of their friends.

Many of them initially just met Komi as she needed friends and they wanted to be closer to the idol. But in the end, they gradually got together and became true friends. Well, maybe except for Ren, for me this character is literally a poster girl of an annoying gimmick.
Jul 4, 2022 3:19 PM

Apr 2012
TinaTunaTina said:

You can't understand the hype about "one-dimensional characters" in Komi-san, but still love the over-the-top parody of Sol shonen Saiki Kusuo?
Jul 4, 2022 3:39 PM
Aug 2019
sailorday- said:

There are a few more normal people that become her friends later on, but I agree that Yamai and the dog-like girl prolly should not count lol.
Jul 4, 2022 4:27 PM
Apr 2021
You are right. Tadano and Najimi are her actual friends. Most of them are obsessed with her especially Yamai. She’s a dangerous person who committed her first sexual nation Komi
Jul 4, 2022 4:28 PM
Apr 2021
LS_07 said:
I hate Ren the most

Same here. She’s a dangerous person who needs to be restrained. She committed sexual harassment on Komi
Jul 4, 2022 4:55 PM
Nov 2021
they're obsessed but if you really pay attention pass the obsession they really do care about her. Plus she's not suppose to make deep connections on a Tadano or najimi level with everyone she meets. The point is to just get her connected with 100 people and hopefully down the line she will get over her little syndrome of being shy. Which so far has been working.
Jul 4, 2022 4:59 PM
Mar 2022
You have a fair point though they likely have the characters written that way show bad/toxic relationships and how Komi feeds into them. Though it could easily be bad writing and they just made obsessive characters her friends.
Jul 4, 2022 4:59 PM
Nov 2021
kuramarose said:
yeah, i think the show has so much potential & it would be so much better if all the side characters weren’t complete creeps

you have a pretty sweet list of anime. Makes me wanna go on a classic old romance anime binge lol
Jul 4, 2022 5:08 PM

Jul 2020
Kasutoro-Kun said:
kuramarose said:

you have a pretty sweet list of anime. Makes me wanna go on a classic old romance anime binge lol

ty ♡ i would highly recommend,, nothing hits like an old romance anime like kare kano
Jul 4, 2022 5:10 PM
Jul 2018
RobertBobert said:
TinaTunaTina said:

You can't understand the hype about "one-dimensional characters" in Komi-san, but still love the over-the-top parody of Sol shonen Saiki Kusuo?
I didn't say it was the hype over over one dimensional characters, just the show. The jokes are repetitive and not funny, which consists of sexually harassing komi, simping, and stalking. If you got rid of everyone but Komi and Tadano it woulf actually be a decent show. Saiki k was actually funny and changed up its jokes, plus as you stated is a parody. So I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.
Jul 4, 2022 5:45 PM
Dec 2021
hermu7013 said:

This man is a gigachad
Jul 4, 2022 5:49 PM
Jun 2021
Vollay said:
hermu7013 said:

This man is a gigachad
A friend is a friend, no matter how shitty. I watch the show for SOL and comedy elements.
Jul 4, 2022 5:57 PM
Aug 2021
Yes, but no…….🙃
Jul 4, 2022 6:34 PM
Jan 2021
sailorday- said:

highly doubt, maybe some of them are obsessed, but definitely not all of them. I really see where you are coming from, but u are heavily exaggerating the situation.
Jul 4, 2022 6:47 PM
Jan 2021
TinaTunaTina said:
RobertBobert said:

I didn't say it was the hype over over one dimensional characters, just the show. The jokes are repetitive and not funny, which consists of sexually harassing komi, simping, and stalking. If you got rid of everyone but Komi and Tadano it woulf actually be a decent show. Saiki k was actually funny and changed up its jokes, plus as you stated is a parody. So I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.
agreed. i get many like the show and that’s great but the repetitive jokes and the infatuation everyone has with komi was too much for me. also if they’re definition of “friend” is stalking, simping and sexual harassment it just rubs me the wrong way. the story about wanting 100 friends is fine but the side characters ruin it for me.
Jul 4, 2022 6:58 PM
Jan 2021
6deep said:
sailorday- said:

highly doubt, maybe some of them are obsessed, but definitely not all of them. I really see where you are coming from, but u are heavily exaggerating the situation.
i don’t think all are but a good majority u see specifically on season 1 have an unhealthy obsessive relationship with her. and how is this over exaggerated when it’s in the show lmaooo. she did have a stalker, she did have the entire class call her a god and gave her a thrown to sit on, she has a friend who thinks komi is her owner. like huh? and i know these people care about her ofc but to act like some of these characters weren’t oddly obsessed with her when it’s right in front of u….
Jul 4, 2022 7:10 PM
Sep 2019
It's definitely extreme in Komi's case, but how many people have many "real" friends? It's pretty normal to have a few close friends that you can really relate to and be natural with, and a bunch of acquaintances that you are friendly with. We call them friends, but really it's only the close ones that count.
Jul 4, 2022 7:16 PM
Jan 2021
sailorday- said:
6deep said:

i don’t think all are but a good majority u see specifically on season 1 have an unhealthy obsessive relationship with her. and how is this over exaggerated when it’s in the show lmaooo. she did have a stalker, she did have the entire class call her a god and gave her a thrown to sit on, she has a friend who thinks komi is her owner. like huh? and i know these people care about her ofc but to act like some of these characters weren’t oddly obsessed with her when it’s right in front of u….

well your initial title of the post states that she doesn’t have friends. You people need to form your thoughts better as i feel like the topic you were looking for got mistook by others for something else (same as happened to me)
Jul 4, 2022 7:17 PM
Nov 2020
sensei_hamzah said:
thats kind of the point. she has no friends despite her "popularity", but she makes actual/normal friends over the course of the story

Exactly this. She’s so popular yet she’s alone. Because of her popularity most people find her unapproachable so they don’t get to know her. Until she makes friends with Tadano and opens up to making friends.
Jul 4, 2022 7:21 PM
May 2021
Shoto Komi does have a list of 'true friends' though the count is low. They respect her for her character rather than her charming, classy looks.
1. Najimi
2 Tadano
3.Onemine
4.Inaka
Jul 4, 2022 7:24 PM
Jan 2021
6deep said:
sailorday- said:

well your initial title of the post states that she doesn’t have friends. You people need to form your thoughts better as i feel like the topic you were looking for got mistook by others for something else (same as happened to me)
understandable. changed it
Jul 4, 2022 7:37 PM

Feb 2010
I think the concept of having a lot of quirky/inappropriate students is to make the series stand out from the rest. I try not to take the line crossing too seriously because they all seem like exaggerations of high school kids
Jul 4, 2022 8:19 PM
Jan 2021
Nyamaste said:
It's definitely extreme in Komi's case, but how many people have many "real" friends? It's pretty normal to have a few close friends that you can really relate to and be natural with, and a bunch of acquaintances that you are friendly with. We call them friends, but really it's only the close ones that count.

nothing about what u said had anything to do with what i said. i wouldn’t call a stalker who kidnapped my first friend, someone that sexually harassed me, or thinks they’re my owner an acquaintance or friend. i said she forms unhealthy relationships and ppl tend to form toxic obsessions with her. i get the characters are supposed to be dramatic but that is not what u call a friend nor acquaintance.
Jul 4, 2022 9:13 PM
Aug 2021
gag comedy with everything being normal is scarce.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» This show is an absolute disgrace at representing social anxiety ( 1 2 )

Fischer77 - Apr 26

66 by CrUwUsader »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2021

129 by Grimenio »»
May 8, 10:05 AM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2021

114 by drizzle-midnight »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

219 by LIAV001 »»
Apr 21, 1:10 AM

» Why are all characters so shallow? ( 1 2 )

Argonnant - Nov 3, 2021

51 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 16, 2:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.