Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 14, 2022 10:38 AM
Sep 2021
This manga is very appreciated. why there is no anime adaptation?
Apr 14, 2022 11:19 AM

Apr 2018
That can be said for a lot of mangas out there, if I have to state one reason it would be because japan only adapts trash manga for advertisement.

Apr 14, 2022 11:33 AM

Aug 2020
lmao i really don't know, they be adapting mediocre manga like demon slayer and jjk while masterpieces like 20th century boys, vagabond and even berserk never got a proper adaptation
Apr 14, 2022 1:09 PM

Apr 2020
What are you all talking about? Our saviors in Japan are obviously very busy animating isekai anime #10963 where the mc is an average man who gets a harem of beautiful busty girls in his new life, with classic ecchi shenanigans occurring

"A single 'thank you' is worth more than a million sorries."
-𝐸𝓂𝒾𝓁𝒾𝒶
Apr 14, 2022 1:23 PM

Jul 2021
I think this is one of the hardest things to get adapted just by looking at the distinctive bold artstyle.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Apr 14, 2022 1:59 PM
Sep 2021
Because people only want same shonens and isekais
Apr 14, 2022 2:34 PM

Feb 2020
It just purely a matter of unluck tbh. Inoue already has 2 of his work adapted into anime. Also haitus is also to blame I guess (it's not really hot right now, u are 7 years too late to ask this question)

It could probably may get a Blade of the Immortal level adaptation. But do u want one is the question
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 14, 2022 2:41 PM

Oct 2020
1. Revenue. Vagabond is a Seinen so you're not gonna sell toys or gain widespread popularity like its a superhero manga. Meanwhile MHA and Demon Slayer are basically money printers for all the companies involved.

2. Popularity. Sure it is popular on mal. But compare it to Isekais or Shonens and it doesn't hold a flame. If you adapt a Seinen, seinen fans will watch it. If you adapt a popular WSJ manga, everyone in Japan watches it.

These are the big 2. Anime is a business so they want to adapt shows that are profitable.

Also possibly 3

3. It doesn't need one. Vagabond is known for its watercolor art that is very good. Some things don't translate well into moving picture. You can't recreate hyper realistic watercolor shaded art with digital animation, for 100+ episodes and expect the same quality.

Look at Berserk. Some things can just be appreciated for what they are, art.

Apr 14, 2022 3:54 PM
Aug 2020
Very good question. I am reading the manga atm, and the art is sublime. It would be hard to render it in anime format and to do it justice. I rather not have a poor adaptation. This type of work is better left untouched then ruined due to incompetent hands and a tight budget. Also, as many have said...It could be to do with the demographics. Studios want to appeal to as many people as possible, and this is why generic battle shounen like Demon Slayer and JJK are given higher importance. From the little I have read, I can already see that Vegabond is far superior to generic shounen turd. This is a seinen, though. Nudity...sex...limbs being cut off... Won't reach as many people as some PG anime, like MHA. All about money at the end of the day.
Apr 14, 2022 4:23 PM

Dec 2021
i guess cuz of the art, they could try their hardest but i don't think it would look as good as in the manga. also with that knowledge, it would prob cost too much to the point wheres its just not worth it
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 14, 2022 10:45 PM
Mar 2021
90's Berserk is the only proper anime adaptation we got and WIT studios did a really good job at adapting Vinland Saga. But I feel like people (especially anime onlys) will not appreciate Farmland Saga for one simple reason. They love action, they're so used to shounen anime action that they will without a doubt hate the next season, these people can't handle peak fiction, pure character development. If they're watching Vinland for action, then they don't understand the series at ALL. The first couple seasons of Kingdom was difficult to watch espeically the bad cgi (not as horrible as Berserk 2016) but you'll get used to it.

What I'm trying to say is that, animating the four horsemen of Seinen to perfection is impossible. But maybe, one day, we'll get a decent Vagabond anime adaptation.
Apr 15, 2022 11:43 AM

Jun 2020
0__Raven__0 said:
lmao i really don't know, they be adapting mediocre manga like demon slayer and jjk while masterpieces like 20th century boys, vagabond and even berserk never got a proper adaptation
at least we have monster, fma, hxh, gintama and we re going to have steel ball run as well in some years
Apr 16, 2022 10:32 AM
Feb 2021
PetruOG said:
This manga is very appreciated. why there is no anime adaptation?

I think the major reason is it being a sheinen manga which makes it only good for mature audience, not good for shonen normies who only likes the most generic stuff only.
Apr 20, 2022 1:21 AM

Jan 2022
PlasmaAndroid said:
1. Revenue. Vagabond is a Seinen so you're not gonna sell toys or gain widespread popularity like its a superhero manga. Meanwhile MHA and Demon Slayer are basically money printers for all the companies involved.

2. Popularity. Sure it is popular on mal. But compare it to Isekais or Shonens and it doesn't hold a flame. If you adapt a Seinen, seinen fans will watch it. If you adapt a popular WSJ manga, everyone in Japan watches it.

These are the big 2. Anime is a business so they want to adapt shows that are profitable.

Also possibly 3

3. It doesn't need one. Vagabond is known for its watercolor art that is very good. Some things don't translate well into moving picture. You can't recreate hyper realistic watercolor shaded art with digital animation, for 100+ episodes and expect the same quality.

Thank you for an actual sensible response. Alot in here are making it out as if Japan only likes generic anime or
PlasmaAndroid said:

Also possibly 3

Only good response in this thread, people fail to understand there is so much more to this than just "Oh Japan only likes generic isekai!" or "It's too mature for shounen fans!"
Apr 20, 2022 8:28 AM
Jun 2019
i cant believe so many people gave different answers yet no one mentioned the most important reason..
"the reason about vagabond being seinen therefor it cant be popular/marketable" is simply false matter of fact vagabond is way too popular in japan just look at the manga sales when vagabond was releasing it

the real reason is because simply inoue doesnt want it to be adapted, inoue actually hold the rights of vagabond so if its only going to be adapted into an anime until he wants it, just look at what happened with slam dunk anime ending up cancelled cuz he didnt like the direction toei took so it is a suprise when it was announced that slam dunk is getting new movie adaptation
Oct 31, 2022 9:42 AM

Dec 2014
PlasmaAndroid said:

Really?! Did you even fact-check that? Vagabond has 82 million volumes in circulation (as of 2012), which makes it one of the best-selling manga of all time. There aren't many shounen out there, and definetly no Iseaki, which can held a candle to it.

Inoue-sensei doesn't want too, I guess. He retired the rights of Slam Dunk when it was airing because Toei wanted an original ending. He seems that he appreciates his work a lot and doesn't trust anime studio's that much. There isn't much incentive for him either. He is one of the best-selling mangakas in the world, with over 260 volumes sold. He never really needed anime to boost his sales. Vagabond sold over 82 million volumes without an anime. That put's it above FMA, Fairy Tail, MHA and just few million below HxH for reference. Also, mangaka don't make that much money from anime adaptation itself... They get like 25k-50k dollars in royalties. He obviously made enough money to don't care, so why risk having a bad anime adaptation? Just look at Berseker. You would think that such a hit series would attract a studio that can take on the work, instead of going for cheap ass CGI.
Nov 5, 2022 8:40 AM

Mar 2017
I imagine even if Inoue gave out the rights for an adaption, an anime adaption of Vagabond just doesn't seem like it'd work out.

Leaving aside the fact that Vagabond's detailed and realistic art style would be very hard to capture in animation, I also don't think the 25 minute runtime would favor Vagabond's slow burn narrative. Even a great studio and team could easily bungle an adaption of a series like Vagabond.

I think the best way to adapt Vagabond would be as a 40 minute live action series by a director that 1) likes Vagabond and 2) has experience with making samurai films and is knowledgeable about the classics. I think it'd be a lot easier to make (not having to animate the series by hand, no worries about bad CGI or missing detail from the manga) and stylistically Vagabond is closer to older samurai movies than 99% of anime. I haven't seen the Lone Wolf And Pup movies but I've heard that being live action really worked for those movies. I think the same would be true for Vagabond. As long as they kept it close to the manga it'd be godlike.

I don't think it would happen, but that's the ideal adaption in my mind. I'd love someone to convince Inuoe on that idea. Of course he's busy working on that new Slam Dunk movie so I imagine he's got a lot on his plate.
Nov 6, 2022 1:39 AM

Apr 2020
Some things are better the way they are
Nov 9, 2022 12:12 AM
Feb 2022
perhaps there isn't enough interest in it to get an adaptation.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 327 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Interstice - May 24, 2015

105 by wafflegir »»
Apr 16, 8:50 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 2 Discussion

jeanfarias - Jan 15, 2012

16 by Goongalar »»
Apr 13, 4:53 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 59 Discussion

DeleteThisShit - Nov 28, 2013

13 by dantehasdantedme »»
Apr 12, 11:54 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 322 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - Jan 19, 2014

37 by astoneon »»
Apr 11, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 315 Discussion

Raikoye - May 25, 2013

13 by astoneon »»
Apr 11, 1:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.