Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 13, 2022 9:44 AM
Jan 2021
GreiLugaj said:
official_brown said:

It’s not though, it’s VR. That’s saying VRMMO Junkie is also isekai. While isekai literally does me another world, it’s still the theme of dying or teleporting to another world.

Japan labels everything that features another world an isekai series. If you wanna express your hate for isekai by excluding sao, fine by me, but there's no need to deny a concept as simple as this.

I don’t hate isekai, my profile should be enough proof of that… I’m saying it’s improper labeling, MAL would have tagged it that then. That’s like saying two girls that like the MC in a romance anime a harem. And name one anime that is labeled isekai and doesn’t actually involve teleporting or reincarnating to another world. Because it’s clear that SAO is fantasy / game, if it’s so simple.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Apr 13, 2022 10:04 AM
Jul 2021
official_brown said:
GreiLugaj said:

Japan labels everything that features another world an isekai series. If you wanna express your hate for isekai by excluding sao, fine by me, but there's no need to deny a concept as simple as this.

I don’t hate isekai, my profile should be enough proof of that… I’m saying it’s improper labeling, MAL would have tagged it that then. That’s like saying two girls that like the MC in a romance anime a harem. And name one anime that is labeled isekai and doesn’t actually involve teleporting or reincarnating to another world. Because it’s clear that SAO is fantasy / game, if it’s so simple.

Isekai is portal fantasy, meaning any anime that involves being transported to a different reality is considered an isekai. And sao, does include being teleported into a different reality, "another world". Also MAL isn't all that accurate with the labeling of genres and themes. Some anime or manga are missing tags, while others have tags that barely even fit the show. Just 2 days ago, Tatsuki Fujimotos new one-shot was tagged as a harem, it clearly wasn't. My dress-up darling doesn't even have an ecchi tag. And I can't mention an isekai without teleportation, cuz there are no anime that feature another world that don't also involve teleportation.
Apr 13, 2022 10:24 AM
Jan 2021
GreiLugaj said:
official_brown said:

Isekai is portal fantasy, meaning any anime that involves being transported to a different reality is considered an isekai. And sao, does include being teleported into a different reality, "another world". Also MAL isn't all that accurate with the labeling of genres and themes. Some anime or manga are missing tags, while others have tags that barely even fit the show. Just 2 days ago, Tatsuki Fujimotos new one-shot was tagged as a harem, it clearly wasn't. My dress-up darling doesn't even have an ecchi tag. And I can't mention an isekai without teleportation, cuz there are no anime that feature another world that don't also involve teleportation.

I appreciate the insight and what you said but still I’m not sure if I 100% agree with your points. I guess agree to disagree?
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Apr 13, 2022 10:26 AM
Jul 2021
official_brown said:
GreiLugaj said:

I appreciate the insight and what you said but still I’m not sure if I 100% agree with your points. I guess agree to disagree?

Sure. I don't mind either way.
Apr 13, 2022 10:29 AM

Jul 2020
They exist in the real world and their minds are just being transferred to another world. By that logic, Bleach should also be considered as an Isekai because they travel to soul society but no one considers that.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 13, 2022 12:14 PM

Nov 2020
Imagine watching an isekai anime...

"I don't know about you
But I'm feeling 22
Everything will be alright if
You keep me next to you
You don't know about me
But I'll bet you want to
Everything will be alright if

We just keep dancing like we're 22, 22"
Apr 13, 2022 2:22 PM
Nov 2020
I've always considered sao as an isekai but some people disagree due to the fact that they don't get reincarnated and just enter a virtual world, but i don't think calling sao an isekai anime is wrong, afterall, it was the anime which made the isekai genre popular
Apr 13, 2022 2:31 PM

Nov 2013
Ah yes, I too think that MAL's tag labeling system is more accurate than fucking Japan themselves. This is totally not a dumb take.
Apr 14, 2022 12:16 AM

Jul 2016
How ironic, SAO not being isekai in MAL....

I guess MAL should do subgenre for Isekai next time ╮(^▽^)╭ since Isekai is simply means Another World right? there's Reincarnated Isekai like Mushoku Tensei, there's Transported/Summoned Isekai like Shield Hero, then consider SAO as Virtual World Isekai, as well as Accel World from the same author.

But then, I don't wanna burden the devs with Isekai problems. My apologies devs.(⊙‿⊙)
Apr 14, 2022 2:00 PM
Feb 2021
isekai and game animes aren't the same thing besides being transported to another world one is reincarnation and/or straight up teleported with no way back while in game anime the world exists inside another world with prior knowledge of the game usually being known to the MC as well as most of the other characters
Apr 14, 2022 2:11 PM
Oct 2019
Well sao is technically was an isekai when they got stuck, but that was only the premise of the first story and most of the seasons they dont have a problem with being stuck in another world unlike a show like overlord which is considered an isekai
poo poo
Apr 15, 2022 12:56 PM

Aug 2017
I think the reason is that SAO doesn't actually teleport Kirito to another world, rather he's in a video game. After SAO he was able to go back to normal life and the people inside of SAO or ALO also exist in the normal world as well.

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Apr 16, 2022 9:11 AM
Apr 2022
No, it’s garbage
May 15, 2022 9:15 PM

Nov 2013
It's rather baffling that it have been ten years and this is still going on.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Aug 7, 2023 2:13 PM
Jun 2023
Pardon my thread necromancy, but...

I was scrolling through the Isekai list for something to watch and was surprised not to see SOA in there... so I give it a google, and I learn about 'Isekai purists'... what? I just want to be able to click a tag and for it to be inclusive, so I can find some cool Isekai to watch!

Also was surprised to not see Log horizon or .hack//sign in the list either, which made me start to wonder how many other anime are missing tags due to such 'purism', and therefore being missed by people who would be interested in them when searching...
What's wrong with having both the 'video game' and 'Isekai' tag, all it does is give people more information... surely that's more useful?
It sounds like many Isekai 'purists' description of the genre boils down to simply having both an 'Isekai' and a 'reincarnation' tag.

Lastly, I invite these so called 'purists' to define 2015's very clearly Isekai anime 'GATE' as anything other than an Isekai, even though noone is reincarnated there, and they freely travel back and forth to the other world... which is probably is not the only one that breaks this weird, modern 'purist' Isekai definition, and won't be the last, good grief.

Mar 12, 11:44 PM

Mar 2013
In my opinion what makes an isekai is the world building of the „other world“. You have to have an established world with its own rules (like magic) its own history and political system and so on and then you have a “fish out of water” character that acts as a catalyst to explain this new world to the audience. I mean that’s the whole reason to not make it a simple fantasy story in the first place.
So does SAO have such a world (only talking about season1 here since I haven’t watched more)? It’s been a while since I watched it but I would say no. There is no pre-established world we get to learn, just a bunch of new people in a videogame. I don’t remember but does the show even have many npcs in them and does the videogame world even have a lore or story behind that is told to the audience? Videogame anime often don’t feel like isekais to me, because most of the time the MC will interact with other players from the real world, not with people from the “other world”.

beejeetee said:
What's wrong with having both the 'video game' and 'Isekai' tag, all it does is give people more information

If for you all video game animes are already isekais you dont gain any new information from the "Isekai" tag, right? And for people who dont see video game anime as isekai it would be misleading... I would call that a win-win.
LockensockeApr 18, 9:12 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2012

705 by amf85 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2012

686 by amf85 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2012

745 by amf85 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.