Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 27, 2022 3:07 PM
Oct 2019
I've been putting off this anime for a while but it's always recommend to watch in regards to the anime I watch so I gave it a go but like I don't understand why it's rated so highly. Most views I've read state that "it gets better after the second season" or along those lines then why is season 1 rated "well". The MC is fine but the rest are slightly annoying, the pacing is tough and the story doesn't have much going for it, as far as I can tell(on episode 11)... Was just looking for some people's thoughts on the matter...

TLDR; season 1 isn't that great yet I don't know why it's recommended so much in ecchi/harem circles?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 27, 2022 3:21 PM
Dec 2021
It had one of the first big tsundere in anime
Mar 27, 2022 3:22 PM
Mar 2021
MilieMeal said:
I've been putting off this anime for a while but it's always recommend to watch in regards to the anime I watch so I gave it a go but like I don't understand why it's rated so highly. Most views I've read state that "it gets better after the second season" or along those lines then why is season 1 rated "well". The MC is fine but the rest are slightly annoying, the pacing is tough and the story doesn't have much going for it, as far as I can tell(on episode 11)... Was just looking for some people's thoughts on the matter...

TLDR; season 1 isn't that great yet I don't know why it's recommended so much in ecchi/harem circles?

7.26 isn’t high at all lmao that’s literally a decent decent anime rating
Mar 27, 2022 3:25 PM

Mar 2017
MilieMeal said:

I mean rank #2700 is not that high but yeah the show is a solid 5/10, personally.

If I had to give a reason why it might be higher than what you though, maybe because it was a relatively old show with, at least, an existent story to it and with a FMC which is the literally the definition of Tsudere.
Mar 27, 2022 3:27 PM

Dec 2021
It is an older anime, almost in retro territory now, so a lot of things about this anime are outdated when it comes to modern viewers. However, I really liked the characters, and Louis was one of the pioneers for modern tsundere characters. The following seasons really start going deep in character development, story, and world building so I highly recommend watching it to the end. My only real major complaint about the series is that only the 1st season was dubbed and that the ending stopped short of something I really wanted to see.
Mar 27, 2022 4:40 PM

Mar 2021
MilieMeal said:

My guess is, Isekai was a very fresh concept in the 2006 and so were Tsunderes. That must have kinda been appealing to people at that time. Though MAL wasnt as popular as it is now, people who joined MAL later found this anime nostalgic and hence gave it a, idk 6 or 7 score.
Mar 27, 2022 5:12 PM
Nov 2015
It was one of the first anime I watched and I suspect its pretty similar for a lot of people starting out with harem. And your first harem introducing all these tropes to you will always be more interesting than your 10th harem with the same tropes.
Mar 27, 2022 7:36 PM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
MilieMeal said:

You got time for a full explanation lol?

For one I'll echo what others said, 7.25 is hardly high, it's 'above average' for anyone who understands scoring systems😅.

Then we can look at it objectively, the music, animation and direction all fit the story being told to a high standard - The characters, though not deep are also not shallow and all serve their purpose well.

The story was far more original in 2006 then it comes across now and has a whole lot of heart and honesty to it, the sort of thing that leaves people with a nice aftertaste or a happy smile.

So we got fitting production values (The Ost in particular is very good), a story from before the isekai boom that if anything is a more inivitive isekai then most modern ones and generally likeable characters and plot with just enough themes and depth to make it more then just a romcom romp.

__
The real question you should ask is what are you removing points for?
The animation struggles abit at time so maybe a point off there - And you obviously didn't love it, so maybe a point off your enjoyment value, that's 8/10.

And what else?
It does what it both promises and sets out to do, we can only judge media on its own inherent values ya know?😊😊.

All that in mind, 7.25ish seems a reasonable response for the general consensus to come to - People probably suggest it to you owing to its progenitor status, as while not the first isekai by any measure, it can be seen as the first of that harem, fantasy, Tsundere staring architype (an honour often attributed to the mushoku tensei light Novel, which is just outright infactual😅), in much the same way Tensei Muyo is seen by many as the harem genre progenitor.

__
That's the short answer lol, I'll keep the long one to myself😂😂.
Mar 27, 2022 7:39 PM

Feb 2021
7.26 isn't any high. It is just a decent score.
Mar 27, 2022 7:43 PM

Jul 2017
Peeps don't like stepping on shit but, ironically, loved the idea of being stepped on by it. That's all.

Mar 27, 2022 7:57 PM

Oct 2018
For MAL standards, 7.26 is horrible.
Mar 27, 2022 10:04 PM
Jul 2021
If you want to know so badly read the reviews that’s what they’re there for
Mar 28, 2022 1:19 AM
Aug 2021
RamanathPai said:
MilieMeal said:

My guess is, Isekai was a very fresh concept in the 2006 and so were Tsunderes. That must have kinda been appealing to people at that time. Though MAL wasnt as popular as it is now, people who joined MAL later found this anime nostalgic and hence gave it a, idk 6 or 7 score.

I kinda felt nostalgic since this is maybe the first isekai I watched or one of the first isekai's and at the time I didn't know MAL exsisted and if I knew 1/3 of the animes I have watched till now would have 10/10 score. Since I later found out about MAL I gave it 6/10. And I am talking about 3 years ago or something like that not about when the show came out.
Mar 28, 2022 1:23 AM

Apr 2019
If you're a recent watcher of anime then this certainly looks like shit from today's standards

But if you're one of those oldies who started at early 2000's then this one is pretty much a classic, one of the anime's which started the isekai/tsundere trope
Just seeing this anime alone gives me lots of nostlagia.

Mar 28, 2022 1:24 AM

Mar 2021
luka_k said:
RamanathPai said:

I kinda felt nostalgic since this is maybe the first isekai I watched or one of the first isekai's and at the time I didn't know MAL exsisted and if I knew 1/3 of the animes I have watched till now would have 10/10 score. Since I later found out about MAL I gave it 6/10. And I am talking about 3 years ago or something like that not about when the show came out.

Yeah. Even I started watching anime since not very long ago. It all started in the pamdemic since I had nothing much to do. Also, this was my first Isekai as well, and I didnt find it really bad. It was really enjoyable.
My theory about people who watched this earlier and rated it at a 7 or 6 is because of a video in yt by youtubers called AnimeMan and Gigguk. They were rating isekais in tiers and they told this anime is really a nostalgic one. If I remember properly they placed this under B tier.
Mar 28, 2022 1:29 AM

Mar 2021
momentie said:
MilieMeal said:

You got time for a full explanation lol?

For one I'll echo what others said, 7.25 is hardly high, it's 'above average' for anyone who understands scoring systems😅.

Then we can look at it objectively, the music, animation and direction all fit the story being told to a high standard - The characters, though not deep are also not shallow and all serve their purpose well.

The story was far more original in 2006 then it comes across now and has a whole lot of heart and honesty to it, the sort of thing that leaves people with a nice aftertaste or a happy smile.

So we got fitting production values (The Ost in particular is very good), a story from before the isekai boom that if anything is a more inivitive isekai then most modern ones and generally likeable characters and plot with just enough themes and depth to make it more then just a romcom romp.

__
The real question you should ask is what are you removing points for?
The animation struggles abit at time so maybe a point off there - And you obviously didn't love it, so maybe a point off your enjoyment value, that's 8/10.

And what else?
It does what it both promises and sets out to do, we can only judge media on its own inherent values ya know?😊😊.

All that in mind, 7.25ish seems a reasonable response for the general consensus to come to - People probably suggest it to you owing to its progenitor status, as while not the first isekai by any measure, it can be seen as the first of that harem, fantasy, Tsundere staring architype (an honour often attributed to the mushoku tensei light Novel, which is just outright infactual😅), in much the same way Tensei Muyo is seen by many as the harem genre progenitor.

__
That's the short answer lol, I'll keep the long one to myself😂😂.

About the Mushoku Tensei being the progenitor of Isekais.
In an interview, The author himself admitted that he wrote the series after getting inspired from several stories he read and so, it is not the progenitor of isekai.
Its the fandom that calls it a progenitor for some reason.
Mar 28, 2022 6:01 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016

Oh ya I 100% agree with you, my apologies if I made it sound like the author had claimed otherwise - I meant that the fandom claims it to be the progenitor including some pretty big content creators - Not the author.

My bad for not being clear enough😊👍.
Mar 28, 2022 7:13 AM
Jun 2021
ikr??? dude this anime really pissed me off for some reason.
Mar 29, 2022 1:23 AM
Community Mod
ウェルカムチーム™

Feb 2014
Thread Locked For Breaking Anime Discussion Rule 2.E
e. MAL community data
    e.g. Questioning the score/ranking/character favorite counts
    e.g. Saying that series X should have a higher/lower score/count
    e.g. Specific reviews, moderation of data/community content/reviews, etc.
    Concerns about the website should be reported using the appropriate buttons or designated MyAnimeList boards.

Topics regarding ratings/ranking/scores will mostly encourage arguments (flame wars) more so than having a meaningful discussion. Can use the official "Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread" when wanting to discuss about an overrated/underrated anime.

GUIDELINES/FAQ
AD/MD RULES
CD RULES
CE RULES
STAFF
SET BY SENPIEX
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zero no Tsukaima Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

sugarplumfairy - Apr 16, 2008

127 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Apr 1, 12:24 PM

Poll: » Zero no Tsukaima Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jun 10, 2008

54 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Apr 1, 11:44 AM

Poll: » Zero no Tsukaima Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jun 10, 2008

61 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Apr 1, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Zero no Tsukaima Episode 10 Discussion

aero - Jun 10, 2008

48 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Apr 1, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Zero no Tsukaima Episode 9 Discussion

aero - Jun 9, 2008

40 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Apr 1, 9:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.