Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 15, 2022 12:54 AM

May 2020
Title explains it. This happens with any anime ever that deviates from source material. Its just bombarded with hate threads/reviews/ratings from manga viewers. It happened with original full metal alchemist, it happened with steins;gate, and akame ga kill, and promised neverland, and it will continue to happen.

Cringe reasons people hate on the show:
- Censorship (really? wait til u find out about real tv censorship)
- Doesnt follow manga (then dont think about manga when watching it? not hard)
- Cut some scenes out (yea thats how every manga adaptation works, only 12 episodes to work with buddy)
- Hard to follow (doesnt help when u watch something in a language u dont understand, try the dub)

Tokyo Ghoul, up to this point, is a solid 7/10 at worst.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 15, 2022 1:19 AM
Jul 2021
have to agree. i watched tokyou ghoul in its entirety before i read the manga and i would still give it the scores i gave it from an anime adaptation standpoint. there were a lot of flaws but i still enjoyed the show. i don't get what people mean by being unable to follow its story. even watching in sub it still made sense to me.. do they lack reading comprehension or am i just good with subtitles 😭
Feb 15, 2022 1:24 AM
Jul 2019
No this show was a mess regardless of the adaptation. I haven't read the manga up to the point after season 1 and I still found season 2 pretty awful. The only good part being Juuzou's story.
Nov 2020
NickCipolla said:
Title explains it. This happens with any anime ever that deviates from source material. Its just bombarded with hate threads/reviews/ratings from manga viewers. It happened with original full metal alchemist, it happened with steins;gate, and akame ga kill, and promised neverland, and it will continue to happen.

- Cut some scenes out (yea thats how every manga adaptation works, only 12 episodes to work with buddy)
- Hard to follow (doesnt help when u watch something in a language u dont understand, try the dub)

yes i totally agree for me the second Season is a solid 8/10
Feb 2022
I did not read the manga so I don’t hate it at all but when I first watch it(along time ago) I was confused on how the transition from season 1 to then but I still watched it and didn’t hate it at all now I might change my rating so it doesn’t seem negative.
Feb 15, 2022 1:33 AM
Mar 2021
Steins gate didn't deviate from the source material lmao, sure some parts were changed here and there but it followed the source material (the biggest thing was psycho nae's removal but she was referenced in the movie), unlike root a. And the other anime u mentioned deviated well from the source material, unlike root a which half assed it, which introduced all sorts of issues when it tried to go back to the source material later on, as a bunch of stuff answered in the manga are left unanswered(a good example is the fact that the anime doesn't show kaneki eating hide's face so it becomes confusing later on in :re). Also why mention promised Netherland whose second season has a 5.4 to its deviation lol.
Feb 15, 2022 1:35 AM
May 2021
I actually agree with you for once but Season 3 is a trash fire and this post doesn't excuse you from your several shit takes tbh
Feb 15, 2022 1:37 AM
May 2021
dragonboy03 said:
Steins gate didn't deviate from the source material lmao, sure some parts were changed here and there but it followed the source material (the biggest thing was psycho nae's removal but she was referenced in the movie), unlike root a. And the other anime u mentioned deviated well from the source material, unlike root a which half assed it, which introduced all sorts of issues when it tried to go back to the source material later on, as a bunch of stuff answered in the manga are left unanswered(a good example is the fact that the anime doesn't show kaneki eating hide's face so it becomes confusing later on in :re). Also why mention promised Netherland whose second season has a 5.4 to its deviation lol.

Was gonna mention the same things regarding Steins Gate and Promised Never Land season 2. There ain't no excuses for PNL lol, they ruined that series
Feb 15, 2022 1:40 AM
Jan 2022
It wasn't a bad show in its own right. But due to the plot holes left all around, it could have been way better if it was even a bit more faithful to the manga.
Feb 15, 2022 1:41 AM

Sep 2017
To me it wasn’t bad it still had that edge, just a more muddy feel than it should’ve been….
Feb 15, 2022 1:45 AM
Dec 2021
I don't really like the season 2 of tokyo ghoul I thought it was bad and keneki's development sucked I give the show a 4/10
Feb 15, 2022 1:45 AM
Mar 2021
it was super boring to watch so can't give it more than 4.5
Feb 15, 2022 1:59 AM
Jul 2020
I agree, I really enjoyed season 2 as an anime only viewer and the majority of the anime actually made sense to me. The parts that I didn't understand l just searched it up afterwards.
Feb 15, 2022 2:09 AM
Jul 2021
i agree, i watched till s2 and didn't find it bad until i read the manga
Feb 15, 2022 2:13 AM
Jan 2021
NickCipolla said:

I played the VN, what do you mean Steins;Gate deviated from its source???
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Feb 15, 2022 2:14 AM
Sep 2021
NickCipolla said:

I agree that it’s a very solid idea and you can tell by my ratings that I really enjoyed it but I can’t deny the fact that this season is the main reason the anime is hated. You see the studio had requested 12 episodes per season. That worked well with season 1 but it all when downhill in 2 because Ishida himself requested for the story to change. Idk why. I assume he liked the small changes in season 1?( may actually make a post about that as I think season 1 does some things better than the manga). That’s the reason we got aogiri Kaneki. In season 2 for the most part the same events as the manga happen, but they happen for different reasons and in some point, with a slightly different outcome (many story parts have been cut though).The main problem is the episode limitation. The aogiri Kaneki arc has a lot of potential but 12 episodes just aren’t enough. And this also led to the cliffhanger ending that basically fucked everything since the entire vol14 is left out and we just have to imagine that Kaneki lost against Arima. This is also the main reason as to why RE part 1 is hated (and even I hated it but after reading the manga and rewatching the anime I’ve changed my mind) even though (part 1) is an extremely faithful adaptation of the first 6 volumes of RE (now as for part 2 I’ve not read beyond re vol 6 but I assume the anime cuts a lot)
Feb 15, 2022 2:32 AM
Jun 2020
NickCipolla said:

I'll be honest. I actually enjoyed it when I watched it without any knowledge of the manga, so I understand where you're coming from

But my mind changed after reading the manga
Feb 15, 2022 3:16 AM
Nov 2021
I still liked it until the ending when Kaneki walked towards Arima and then fast forwarded to Tokyo Ghoul Re without giving any explanation. At least they could add the Arima vs Kaneki fight scene but NO
Feb 15, 2022 3:24 AM
Apr 2021
I agree entirely I loved this anime and it really made me upset seeing all of the hate towards it.
Feb 15, 2022 4:00 AM
Jul 2021
As an anime only, no it wasn't.
Feb 15, 2022 4:31 AM
Jan 2021
disagree, i was anime only, watched the anime first than read the manga, i usually never do that, but i got curious, while watching the anime i was annoyed as hell, first season was okay, second one managed to completely lose me, i hated emo boy kaneki so bad, like every action he made got me upset, it made no sense to me, later i figured out that it indeed made no sense and he doesn't do any of that shit in the manga, omg i thought i was going insane, the whole arc was bullshit to me, and than 3rd season pretended the second season didnt happen and i lost it, i was done, now i exclusively trash talk this show, its the worst thing ive seen yet ( its just cause im picky probably not because there isnt worst shows), manga was definitely leagues better than that season 2 travesty, just destroying character development and plot and logic and just winging it for god knows what reason.
Feb 15, 2022 4:52 AM
Aug 2018
I think it wasn’t that bad of a show..

But after reading whole manga, there is just this one tiny thought:

“Can you imagine how good it could be if it followed the source material?”

And just that one thing prevents me from considering this show a good one.
Feb 15, 2022 5:06 AM

Apr 2021
yes season 2 was indeed pretty good. It's from season 3 onwards that I started to hate it. I think s2 is hated because there isn't much of the MC
Feb 15, 2022 7:06 AM
Jul 2021
Tokyo Ghoul S2 is the most mid show out there
Feb 15, 2022 7:18 AM
Dec 2020
NickCipolla said:

definitely absolutely completely agree, i can say TOKYO GHOUL was one of the starting animes for me, and that time I didn't knew anything other than anime, what's manga? light novel? visual novel? etc. so for me TOKYO GHOUL will always be one of the best animes i have watched, till date i would give it a 8/10. I will PROLLY re-watch it.
Feb 15, 2022 8:23 AM

Nov 2020
Yeah its good and Kaneki joing the aogiri is somewhat edgy but decent and yeah I can't help to say that the source material is just a different thing it makes more sense and a better route. but still the S2 isn't really THAT bad

who the hell will even join the organization that tortured him. I also remembered like years ago when S2 air I was like confused as fuck like I'm started to do calculations on what the hell is happening but after reading the manga I am well enlightened.

I am also kinda disappointed with the animation. I think its just best enjoyed in black and white.
Feb 15, 2022 8:57 AM
Jun 2021
Alot of people make it seem like tokyo ghoul anime was the worst thing ever created my mankind. Shit ain't that damn serious.
Its actually quite a fun show to watch.
Feb 15, 2022 10:44 AM
Aug 2020
As someone who hasn't even peeked at the TG manga, it was really bad in my opinion.

But you can like it, everyone's taste isn't the same.
Feb 15, 2022 11:06 AM

May 2020
not the steins;gate fanboys getting mad i called out the hypocrisy they show towards tokyo ghoul
Feb 15, 2022 11:41 AM
Oct 2020
Honestly I'm an avid believer that adaptations should be able to stray from the source material (FMA 2003 is one of my favorite anime) and I like the ideas Root A does on paper, however it falls flat. The problems aren't strictly that it doesn't follow the manga, tbe pacing is also fucked as it just jumps from idea to idea every episode without ever lingering on anything. The animation is also a step down although not awful. Censorship is a valid complaint when talking about stories like Tokyo Ghoul where the violence is a big part of the point. On top of all of that it couldn't even commit to going its own direction, imo the Tokyo Ghoul anime (season 1 and Root A) are at their best when they do their own thing but both seasons are held back by being forced to tie in to the manga to some degree. I feel if it had a higher episode count and more freedom it could've been an amazing alternative story but as is it's at best messy and at worst incoherent.
Feb 15, 2022 12:16 PM
May 2021
NickCipolla said:
not the steins;gate fanboys getting mad i called out the hypocrisy they show towards tokyo ghoul

I actually feel bad for how dumb you are. People are gonna call you out when you're wrong. S;G doesn't deviate from source material and its as simple as that. Its too bad you can't delete my comments here like you do on your page LOL. Kid can't admit when he's made a mistake.
Feb 15, 2022 3:46 PM
Jul 2018
From my anime-only standpoint, it was shit. Sorry.
Feb 15, 2022 3:56 PM

May 2020
Chiribei said:

why am i not surprised someone who likes loli anime has this opinion
Feb 15, 2022 4:01 PM
Jul 2018
NickCipolla said:
Chiribei said:

"Nice argument senator, but why don't you back that up with a source?"

"MY SOURCE IS THAT I MADE IT THE FUCK UP"
Feb 15, 2022 4:14 PM

May 2020
Chiribei said:
NickCipolla said:

we like adult characters here, sorry, youre going to have to leave
Feb 15, 2022 4:18 PM
Jul 2018
NickCipolla said:
Chiribei said:

Nice bait, but your forum avatar isn't something only you can see; last I checked, Yui wasn't an adult. Try to be a little more consistent next time.

"if you come at me, you will lose"? You can't even stay consistent with your own attempts to insult people.
removed-userFeb 15, 2022 4:23 PM
Feb 15, 2022 4:25 PM

May 2020
Chiribei said:
NickCipolla said:

Nice bait, but your forum avatar isn't something only you can see; last I checked, Yui wasn't an adult. Try to be a little more consistent next time.

"if you come at me, you will lose"? You can't even stay consistent with your own attempts to insult people.

sadly shes 18 in the last season. u lost unfortunately
Feb 15, 2022 4:44 PM

Jul 2021
I agree with two people here, I kind of started hating tokyo ghoul in season 3 and onwards, season 2 is good nonetheless.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Feb 16, 2022 12:34 PM

Oct 2017
Your points aren't valid at all. It's the same with wheel of time.. Amazon changed the whole series, 'yeah just don't think about it'. Don't think about kissing gay people and chars that are two chars in one?

POWER IS IMMORTAL
Feb 16, 2022 12:54 PM

May 2020
MadnessWillReign said:
Your points aren't valid at all. It's the same with wheel of time.. Amazon changed the whole series, 'yeah just don't think about it'. Don't think about kissing gay people and chars that are two chars in one?

mans cant distinguish between manga and anime. poor thing.

hes the type to use real world to compare anime LOL
Feb 17, 2022 10:19 AM

Oct 2017
NickCipolla said:
MadnessWillReign said:

This is true.

I learned a lot from naruto and vegeta.

POWER IS IMMORTAL
Feb 17, 2022 10:25 AM

Jan 2021
I kind of agree with you. I had not read the manga when I completed S2 so it was a pretty enjoyable season for me. But even as an anime only at that time, I was a bit confused here and there and the ending was also a bit confusing, but it still didn't take away my enjoyment of this season.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Feb 17, 2022 10:35 AM

May 2020
MadnessWillReign said:
NickCipolla said:

This is true.

nice, thats cool.... i didnt ask tho...
Feb 17, 2022 12:19 PM

Oct 2017
NickCipolla said:
MadnessWillReign said:

This is true.

nice, thats cool.... i didnt ask tho...

Are you okay? You sound bitter.

POWER IS IMMORTAL
Feb 17, 2022 6:14 PM

Mar 2021
yeah, i agree. i enjoyed it so much before i knew manga was a thing
Feb 18, 2022 2:50 AM
Jul 2018
It wasnt bad or good either it was just really confusing
Mar 12, 2022 12:39 AM

May 2020
just finished the manga, hella overrated.

there are parts the anime does worse than the manga, but also parts the anime does better.
May 3, 2022 5:40 AM
Oct 2020
I really love this season. Screw all the haters
Nov 25, 2022 6:27 PM

Oct 2019
bruh from the very moment the mc joined the group that tortured him, this season made 0 sense.

aka it made 0 sense from the start.

It's just bad.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 30, 2022 8:40 AM
Sep 2019
Must absolutely agree
I was an anime only, so I enjoyed it too much
But there were these news that root A was butchered by the studio. I went to real the manga from the very beginning of it, aaaand yeah I was disappointed, of course. But over all, it wasn't a bad experience. I'm less edgy now about this matter
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

760 by ShirJager »»
Apr 17, 5:39 PM

» How do you feel

JoahAnime - Apr 18, 2022

37 by Zimmu »»
Apr 3, 11:48 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

402 by efectiviuli »»
Feb 18, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2015

256 by dustyblue »»
Feb 7, 12:39 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2015

300 by RapidPhantom »»
Jan 23, 7:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.