Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 18, 2022 3:31 PM

Apr 2016
This is probably the worse anime i have ever seen, it copies the storytelling method of lain, does it worse, and it's completely forced upon the story it's trying to tell... This is garbage.
I had to drop it halfway through even if is 12 episodes, i can't tolerate it anymore.

Every character is monodimensional, there in no happy character, it's not realistic but tries to be... This is literally the epitome of how much an anime can be bad.
Dialogues are forced for the sake of the plot, it has weak episodes... OHH MY GOD.

EDIT:
It's clear the community is split, half thinks like me, and the other half that this anime is a masterpiece.

I am tired of repeating myself in this thread, but for the second i would like to hear why what i said is wrong, instead of saying:
a) You can't understand the topic of this "Old anime"
b) The psychological atmosphere is what the people don't like
c) You are not attuned to it because it doesn't have stereotypical characters or cliché

Believe it or not, no one of my complaints were of the things above, instead i would like to hear:
a) How the nonlinear storytelling in this anime serves the plot/the product itself
b) Why the fact that every character is monodimensional is justified
c) How the cryptic dialogues/answers of main characters are believable even when speaking to an uninformed interlocutor (leaving the interlocutor and the spectator confused)
QuasarAfterLifeJan 20, 2022 9:51 AM
Jan 18, 2022 3:43 PM
Mar 2021
I agree it's pretty bad.
Jan 18, 2022 4:29 PM
Feb 2019
You know there’s a remake for boogiepop right?!
Jan 18, 2022 4:36 PM

Apr 2016
SorasKarma said:
You know there’s a remake for boogiepop right?!

Yes, but for what i know is a prequel of the events in Boogiepop wa Warawana, i wanted to see the series in the sequence it was made.

Regarding the new one, i know its director and i probably will see it, also because i don't need to finish this one to enjoy the other for what i know.
Jan 18, 2022 8:15 PM

Jan 2021
Honestly, I can see how you can see that completely, although I think it still has some value somehow? I feel like I can’t really explain how I even found a sliver of a good content within it, but it doesn’t really hit me as the worst thing ever, just a story that was executed very poorly on certain aspects! :’D I guess I thought that the themes were nice, but really nothing else was above average in any way. Oh well, they tried!
Forum Icon is from Kekkai Sensen
Jan 18, 2022 8:41 PM

Apr 2016
MrCattyWolf said:
Honestly, I can see how you can see that completely, although I think it still has some value somehow? I feel like I can’t really explain how I even found a sliver of a good content within it, but it doesn’t really hit me as the worst thing ever, just a story that was executed very poorly on certain aspects! :’D I guess I thought that the themes were nice, but really nothing else was above average in any way. Oh well, they tried!

This is exactly why it pisses me off, i want to see it, but it's a pain, they made so many poor choices that i can't satisfy my curiosity without having to suffer... No anime ever did that.
Should be a crime or something... It's like Whatching a painting you really like In thick fog and freezing temperature...
Jan 18, 2022 8:47 PM
Jul 2018
This particular adaptation isn't even canon to the light novel series and is a very loose one which is set in between volumes and require you to have read the novels to even grasp what is going on. The 2019 one actually is based on the novels. Even fans of the franchise don't like this anime.
Jan 19, 2022 6:15 AM
Aug 2018
It doesn’t copy lain. Most surreal films and anime tend to follow a similiar pacing and overall storytelling. Lain didn’t invent that. The point of the show is to explore how low and dark people really can get, while the main message of Boogiepop is how the past can haunt us and why we have to let it go for our own sakes. Of course there won’t be happy characters when the show is about such grim things, but i kinda agree that pretty much none of the characters are fleshed out. It’s definitely not for everyone i just don’t feel like you’re critiquing it for the ‘right’ reasons.
Jan 19, 2022 7:26 AM

Jan 2021
QuasarAfterLife said:
MrCattyWolf said:

This is exactly why it pisses me off, i want to see it, but it's a pain, they made so many poor choices that i can't satisfy my curiosity without having to suffer... No anime ever did that.
Should be a crime or something... It's like Whatching a painting you really like In thick fog and freezing temperature...

Yeah, it had the potential to be really good but just.. lacked quality in its execution so much that it was just downright aggravating. Honestly, I think the sequel series was a lot better compositionally- as in it wasn't episodic, there were reoccurring characters and nice transitions between backstories and current drama, and everything was actually explained in a more linear way- so hopefully it'll be better for you! :D
EnivlensJan 19, 2022 7:32 AM
Forum Icon is from Kekkai Sensen
Jan 20, 2022 1:07 AM
Nov 2018
I think you’re criticizing it too much. There are topics in this anime that would not agree with everyone. It all depends on your perspective and if you can see the anime through the creators lenses. I do not judge, people have different backgrounds that define what they like. But categorizing this as the worse anime, does not agree with me. Looking at the anime from nowadays vs the animes from the 2000’s, it’s a huge difference. Boogiepop does not contain clichés like modern anime, or modern topics. It’s a world on it’s own, it’s really well thought out plot. The quality of animation might not look top notch, but it’s decent for the year and the anime’s atmosphere. Like I said, all depends where you come from. It just makes sense to some audiences, for some it doesn’t stick. Mainly, because it uses a dark psychological atmosphere. And both Boogiepop, as well as Lain, have that around 2000’s animes’ psychological/dark/gothic theme that was popular within certain underground culture at that time. If you want, you can watch the newer Boogiepop, which is more easy going with the story. But in my humble opinion, after analyzing the plot, I think the original Boogiepop is a hidden gem.
Jan 20, 2022 4:18 AM

Apr 2016
Lil_Mayer said:
I think you’re criticizing it too much. There are topics in this anime that would not agree with everyone. It all depends on your perspective and if you can see the anime through the creators lenses. I do not judge, people have different backgrounds that define what they like. But categorizing this as the worse anime, does not agree with me. Looking at the anime from nowadays vs the animes from the 2000’s, it’s a huge difference. Boogiepop does not contain clichés like modern anime, or modern topics. It’s a world on it’s own, it’s really well thought out plot. The quality of animation might not look top notch, but it’s decent for the year and the anime’s atmosphere. Like I said, all depends where you come from. It just makes sense to some audiences, for some it doesn’t stick. Mainly, because it uses a dark psychological atmosphere. And both Boogiepop, as well as Lain, have that around 2000’s animes’ psychological/dark/gothic theme that was popular within certain underground culture at that time. If you want, you can watch the newer Boogiepop, which is more easy going with the story. But in my humble opinion, after analyzing the plot, I think the original Boogiepop is a hidden gem.

I actually like the plot and the animations, it's everything else that makes watching this anime a torture... Because i am intrigued by the plot i am so appalled by every aspect of this anime that makes it very hard to enjoy the solid foundations it's based upon...
I am not against nonlinear storytelling, many of my favorite animes have that characteristic, here it doesn't work, and ruin everything. As i said before, if it was some generic anime i would not even care, this one is so flawed that deserves to be dropped and a low score.

Now, the storytelling method is the biggest issue for me, but there are other minor flaws that are not the reason i am saying that this anime is bad.

Lain is much more well-rounded, the non linear storytelling works perfectly with the plot, and everything is combined together to form a cult anime.

Saying this storytelling style was popular at that time is not an excuse.
Jan 20, 2022 7:25 AM
Apr 2020
Lil_Mayer said:

Agree 100%
Watched the second one and it's bad dumbed down version to appeal to today's audiences

On the other hand the original is straight up almost Masterpiece level, very dark atmosphere and no stereotypical stupid characters

But yeah most people don't enjoy these shows unfortunately, it's became a niche at this point and it saddens me that we don't get this quality anymore

Definitely a hidden gem as you mentioned 👍🏻
Jan 20, 2022 9:51 AM

Apr 2016
It's clear the community is split, half thinks like me, and the other half that this anime is a masterpiece.

I am tired of repeating myself in this thread, but for the second i would like to hear why what i said is wrong, instead of saying:
a) You can't understand the topic of this "Old anime"
b) The psychological atmosphere is what the people don't like
c) You are not attuned to it because it doesn't have stereotypical characters or cliché

Believe it or not, no one of my complaints were of the things above, instead i would like to hear:
a) How the nonlinear storytelling in this anime serves the plot/the product itself
b) Why the fact that every character is monodimensional is justified
c) How the cryptic dialogues/answers of main characters are believable even when speaking to an uninformed interlocutor (leaving the interlocutor and the spectator confused)

Jan 20, 2022 10:02 AM

Feb 2020
True, after liking 2019 anime. I went into it will high hopes. I got this pseudo intelligent filler shit. I dropped it half way.

AdampkJan 20, 2022 10:05 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jan 20, 2022 11:11 AM
Nov 2018
QuasarAfterLife said:
Lil_Mayer said:

I actually like the plot and the animations, it's everything else that makes watching this anime a torture... Because i am intrigued by the plot i am so appalled by every aspect of this anime that makes it very hard to enjoy the solid foundations it's based upon...
I am not against nonlinear storytelling, many of my favorite animes have that characteristic, here it doesn't work, and ruin everything. As i said before, if it was some generic anime i would not even care, this one is so flawed that deserves to be dropped and a low score.

Now, the storytelling method is the biggest issue for me, but there are other minor flaws that are not the reason i am saying that this anime is bad.

Lain is much more well-rounded, the non linear storytelling works perfectly with the plot, and everything is combined together to form a cult anime.

Saying this storytelling style was popular at that time is not an excuse.

Maybe you’re letting the linear storytelling overshadow the rest of the work. I believe in what you say, the linear method is probably not used to its best. But, I believe that your opinion lies with the anime in general, is not just the storytelling. And that’s okay. I think you’re wishing that Boogiepop was more like Lain, but these two shows are very distinct, even if they use the same mood.
My friend, I don’t think that at this point anything would even change they way you see this anime, so I’m not going to try and convince you like you’re expecting.
I see that people tend to criticize this anime up to a professional level, when all it is trying to do is convey a plot and a world from the creator’s mind. The people that do understand what’s about, will enjoy it in every aspect. People that don’t feel the plot, will be distraught by the flaws from this anime. Years have changed, and in the 2000’s there weren’t many anime that could be taken as an example for Boogiepop, other than Lain and a few. Boogiepop, was just trying to get a story out there, not necessarily focuses on the professional fixes.
Jan 20, 2022 11:29 AM
Nov 2018
MaxPlays91 said:

Agree 100%
Watched the second one and it's bad dumbed down version to appeal to today's audiences

On the other hand the original is straight up almost Masterpiece level, very dark atmosphere and no stereotypical stupid characters

But yeah most people don't enjoy these shows unfortunately, it's became a niche at this point and it saddens me that we don't get this quality anymore

I totally agree. After anime’s evolved so much, people has changed with it, too. Nobody’s interested in the emission of these type of animes no more. Although, you might be able to find something similar in the manga world, if you search enough.
Jan 20, 2022 5:50 PM
Apr 2020
Lil_Mayer said:
MaxPlays91 said:

Agree 100%

I totally agree. After anime’s evolved so much, people has changed with it, too. Nobody’s interested in the emission of these type of animes no more. Although, you might be able to find something similar in the manga world, if you search enough.

Couldn't agree more

We are minority unfortunately and as I said we will never get this quality of the older animes anymore

Glad to see a fellow Anime watcher who appreciated this 👌🏻
Feb 22, 2022 6:59 PM

Dec 2016
For me, this is a great piece of anime: the dark atmosphere and the eerie sound and music are exquisite, the philosophical aspect of it too. I understand people who didn't like it because they didn't read the light novels (honestly, I don't know how someone could ever watch it if not because if so you missed so much that it is almost impossible to understand).
Feb 22, 2022 7:03 PM
Jul 2018
smh literally planned to watch this yesterday
Aug 19, 2023 5:45 PM

Dec 2017
Best anime I've ever seen. I recommend reading "Boogiepop and Others" (1998) and "Boogiepop at Dawn" (1999) to help understand what's going on. I own both of these novels plus the American DVD and Blu-ray releases of the anime.
私が見たのが、ブギーポップだったのかどうかは分からない。
Aug 19, 2023 6:06 PM

Dec 2021
IDK why this thread was even revived but I'll still comment

The OP has Hokuto no ken in favorites lmao and complains about Character writing in this Anime
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bwaffles - Nov 23, 2008

56 by num-ami-dabutz »»
Apr 10, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 6 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 27, 2010

25 by Pineappleshogun »»
Apr 10, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 10 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

23 by Walhtatron »»
Mar 9, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 9 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

35 by divlyfein »»
Feb 15, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 7 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 6, 2010

30 by EtherLux »»
Jan 20, 3:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.