Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 23, 2021 11:24 AM
Feb 2021
I'm currently at episode 113 and since 2-3 episodes, there is too much narration, will it get better?

Edit 2: The slow-motion is so annoying!!! Killua kills 2 randoms which takes him 2 second and they make a f***ing 5 minute scene for that? That could've been at most a 30 second scene. But at least I am getting used to the narration (Ep.113)

Edit 3: Ep 114 was way better
CleanWhipOct 23, 2021 12:47 PM
Oct 23, 2021 11:32 AM

Jan 2020
Nah, it won't. There is way too much information in the arc for it to be communicated in other ways imo. So they resort to narration.

Hopefully you'll get used to it through the episodes
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Oct 23, 2021 11:42 AM
Dec 2020
melxek said:
I'm currently at episode 113 and since 2-3 episodes, there is too much narration, will it get better?
melxek said:
yeah it will(15 char)
Oct 23, 2021 11:42 AM
Jun 2021
Don't expect the narration to die down if anything there is more in the upcoming episodes. Without the narration though I think explaining things through the characters would be extremely unatural and awkward.
Oct 23, 2021 12:51 PM

Jun 2021
Off topic but when characters try to explain stuff ....it always looks very unnatural ngl
Oct 23, 2021 12:58 PM

May 2021
There is too much dialogue in the HxH manga that wouldn't be able to transition well in the anime without the narration. Simply too much info, it did bother me a bit as well but you just gotta deal with it.
Oct 23, 2021 2:21 PM
Feb 2021
Because the production company wanted to milk it for everything they could. Chimera was slower than a damn slice of life series.
Oct 23, 2021 3:44 PM
Oct 2021
You're basically in the grinding part of the anime lmao so no it doesn't get better but you get used to it as it goes on.. I would suggest keeping an open mind about it!

Without the narration, you'd lose a lot of the context and understanding of the characters and abilities and scene etc which imo are necessary. Yes it is OTT at some points but worth it imo :3

Oct 23, 2021 5:17 PM
Apr 2020
The story tries to explain everything that happened within 10-20 seconds of real time. It tried to show you the mindset of all the characters and how they develop throughout their encounter. The only way to do that is through narration, if that bores you then thats purely subjective.
Oct 23, 2021 9:30 PM
May 2021
He narrated too much but his voice was so gud that I got used to that and also I kinda liked that bcuz of his voice
Oct 23, 2021 11:03 PM
Aug 2020
The arc foent work or give the same feeling it should without the narration
Oct 24, 2021 5:37 AM
May 2021
melxek said:

Edit 2: The slow-motion is so annoying!!! Killua kills 2 randoms which takes him 2 second and they make a f***ing 5 minute scene for that? That could've been at most a 30 second scene. But at least I am getting used to the narration (Ep.113)

Edit 3: Ep 114 was way better
only chimera ant arc is narrated excessively but it will get better
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2021 9:41 PM

Sep 2014
rAFKEY said:
The story tries to explain everything that happened within 10-20 seconds of real time. It tried to show you the mindset of all the characters and how they develop throughout their encounter. The only way to do that is through narration, if that bores you then thats purely subjective.

You definitely can show mindset and emotions without the use of a narrator. Excessive narration is a sign of bad story telling.
Oct 24, 2021 9:54 PM
Apr 2020
Hrybami said:
rAFKEY said:

You definitely can show mindset and emotions without the use of a narrator. Excessive narration is a sign of bad story telling.

No the actual encounters themselves are highlighted through the narrator. It constantly gave us answers to questions which otherwise would be left unanswered. And dont come at me with 'the audience should figure it out by themselves' crap. The palace invasion encounter woudlve been the most confusing part to the series, if we didnt have the narrator giving us context, to each individual's abilities, motivation and change in character.
Oct 24, 2021 10:48 PM

Sep 2014
rAFKEY said:
Hrybami said:

No the actual encounters themselves are highlighted through the narrator. It constantly gave us answers to questions which otherwise would be left unanswered. And dont come at me with 'the audience should figure it out by themselves' crap. The palace invasion encounter woudlve been the most confusing part to the series, if we didnt have the narrator giving us context, to each individual's abilities, motivation and change in character.

This is the literal definition of spoon feeding. Not everything requires or needs to be explained/answered to give enough context and background. Things should be balanced from what is said and what is shown which is completely not the case here. If you think the audience figuring out by themselves is crap then you're basically shitting on the basic idea of 'shows don't tell'.
Oct 25, 2021 7:07 AM
Apr 2020
Hrybami said:
rAFKEY said:

This is the literal definition of spoon feeding. Not everything requires or needs to be explained/answered to give enough context and background. Things should be balanced from what is said and what is shown which is completely not the case here. If you think the audience figuring out by themselves is crap then you're basically shitting on the basic idea of 'shows don't tell'.

Ive already answered your question, during that 10 sec where 5 different storylines were occuring all of which were dedicated to stopping the royal guards from getting to the king, narration was neccesary for them to break down what exactly happened, how they reacted and why they did x, y and z. If it isnt your cup of tea then fine, but its there to show exactly how the charwcters progressed throughout the arc all the way to its ending. It was there to make even the most minute of things that happened within the arc significant. If your just there for the flashy fights and choreography then this arc isnt for you, because the writing is designed to make the story flow in a logical and concise way through the narrator. Togashi didn't half ass this project, he knew when and where to put the narrator and at which specific moment that was crucial.
Oct 25, 2021 7:25 AM

Sep 2014
rAFKEY said:
Hrybami said:

Ive already answered your question, during that 10 sec where 5 different storylines were occuring all of which were dedicated to stopping the royal guards from getting to the king, narration was neccesary for them to break down what exactly happened, how they reacted and why they did x, y and z. If it isnt your cup of tea then fine, but its there to show exactly how the charwcters progressed throughout the arc all the way to its ending. It was there to make even the most minute of things that happened within the arc significant. If your just there for the flashy fights and choreography then this arc isnt for you, because the writing is designed to make the story flow in a logical and concise way through the narrator. Togashi didn't half ass this project, he knew when and where to put the narrator and at which specific moment that was crucial.

The narration was overwhelming through all the arc, not just during that specific scene. Also it's not that the narration = bad, no it's only when the narration was excessive to the point where it's used to to give details which could easily be conveyed without the use of a narrator. If a show fail to tell a story through its visual format, then it fails as a good audio-visual story. There's nothing wrong in wanting to detail a minute long scene, but there's a point where it's completely absurd to try to verbally decipher absolutely anything on screen because most of these things were already shown on screen so it needed not to be explained and also because a show should trust the viewer intelligence so that they can connect the dot themselves and figure things out without being hold handed by a narrator. It's also weird to think the narrator was included in crucial moments when he was basically here everytime and most of the time where he wasn't even needed.
Oct 25, 2021 7:43 AM
Apr 2020
Hrybami said:
rAFKEY said:

The narration was overwhelming through all the arc, not just during that specific scene. Also it's not that the narration = bad, no it's only when the narration was excessive to the point where it's used to to give details which could easily be conveyed without the use of a narrator. If a show fail to tell a story through its visual format, then it fails as a good audio-visual story. There's nothing wrong in wanting to detail a minute long scene, but there's a point where it's completely absurd to try to verbally decipher absolutely anything on screen because most of these things were already shown on screen so it needed not to be explained and also because a show should trust the viewer intelligence so that they can connect the dot themselves and figure things out without being hold handed by a narrator. It's also weird to think the narrator was included in crucial moments when he was basically here everytime and most of the time where he wasn't even needed.

Ive watched this arc twice and also saw have seen breakdown reviews and analysis, whether itd be on youtube, reddit, forums, etc. I think majority of people are overexaggerating the impact of the narrator completely ruining the experience. I have to say the narrator only came into full force at the palace invasion part (before meruem went on board woth Netero) which was like 5 maybe 10 eps. The rest of the time the narrator was used here and there during moments that wouldve been left completely ambigious. Its stories like this where the author takes a completely new and unique approach and is either praised or berated, id say whatever it is you felt towards it is your own experience. As long as you can see why people praise it.

Some stuff perhaps wasnt needed like when the narrator described pitou sensing netero in the sky... was probably the build up to one of the best descriptions and character reintroduction in the story, which was:

"The countless dragons that rained down were less significant threats... than the humans in the sky" - this line from the narrator made thematic sense in the way the story is structured which was primarily focused on the concept of humanity. I can go on and show you with clear detail as to how other parts of the narration greately influenced the storytelling, but unfortunately i have to wake up early tommorow for a job interview. Ill reply to any messages after a while

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 24, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.