Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Why people think that a character who cry or whiny is weak or badly written?

Tokyo Revengers
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 16, 2021 7:37 AM
Feb 2021
I have seen many people who hates character like deku, takemitchi, Shinji (evengalion),sakura(fate),eren(in early seasons) just because they cry or whiny in some ways but I like that type of characters and when you think about it you find all these characters are below the age of 18 the start eren and sakura was even less when they seen worse so at that age human brain was not fully developed so when emotions came out I felt that was more natural in my opinion.and they are not bad characters in any ways they do what they can .
Ratings doesn't matter only enjoyment does.
Masterpiece or mid, generic or fresh,best or worst are all subjective
Eren is goat,and aot is still a masterpiece (eg.subjective opinion)

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 16, 2021 7:45 AM
Jul 2020
I love most of those characters except Takemichi, and I don’t dislike him because he’s whiny, I dislike him because he’s a moron
Oct 16, 2021 7:45 AM

Aug 2020
Because boys don't cry.
Oct 16, 2021 7:46 AM
Feb 2021
A lot of people don't understand how writing works. They just want shitty op self insert protagonists
Oct 16, 2021 7:46 AM
Jan 2021
If the person hates Sakura Matou, their opinion is automatically invalidated.
Oct 16, 2021 7:47 AM
Jul 2020
shivamrajput958 said:
I have seen many people who hates character like deku, takemitchi, Shinji (evengalion),sakura(fate),eren(in early seasons) just because they cry or whiny in some ways but I like that type of characters and when you think about it you find all these characters are below the age of 18 the start eren and sakura was even less when they seen worse so at that age human brain was not fully developed so when emotions came out I felt that was more natural in my opinion.and they are not bad characters in any ways they do what they can .

Most people hate a character like that. This also happened with subaru from rezero too,touma from index and more. At the end of the day,I guess they couldn't accept a weak mc. People like these mostly doesn't really care about writing as long as mc is badass.
Zac22Oct 16, 2021 7:54 AM
Oct 16, 2021 7:50 AM

Jun 2020
I don't remember there being alot of backlash with Sakura or Eren or even Shinji, for being a crybaby because they didn't cry every single moment of the anime. But, I have seen a fair amount of criticism towards Deku and Takemitichi since they are those types of main characters who cry every single moment. It is a valid criticism because it is an easy way out to deliver an emotional impact or describe the severity of a situation. Over usage tends to only hurt the show in the long run since readers don't feel the same every time the main characters cry. Just by looking at MHA, 5 seasons in and many don't care about Deku. Tokyo Revengers is on the same path unless, it tries fix the situation at hand by actually making a Takemitchi not a crybaby hero but more than that.
Oct 16, 2021 7:53 AM

Apr 2020
Honestly, I kinda hate whiny mc , but that doesn't mean I can't accept weak mc. I just want a mentally strong mc.
Oct 16, 2021 7:55 AM
Jun 2021
I think it's just people's mentality that who cries can never grow.
Oct 16, 2021 7:55 AM
Jun 2021
I think it's just people's mentality that who cries can never grow.
Oct 16, 2021 8:00 AM
Feb 2021
_Lyborick_ said:
I don't remember there being alot of backlash with Sakura or Eren or even Shinji, for being a crybaby because they didn't cry every single moment of the anime. But, I have seen a fair amount of criticism towards Deku and Takemitichi since they are those types of main characters who cry every single moment. It is a valid criticism because it is an easy way out to deliver an emotional impact or describe the severity of a situation. Over usage tends to only hurt the show in the long run since readers don't feel the same every time the main characters cry. Just by looking at MHA, 5 seasons in and many don't care about Deku. Tokyo Revengers is on the same path unless, it tries fix the situation at hand by actually making a Takemitchi not a crybaby hero but more than that.
actually both takemitchi and deku got really good development in manga you got to see that in upcoming seasons maybe mha season 6 or 7(it has some of the best arc from manga and takemitchi in season 2 & 3 just wait they got their moments and belive me moments means very impactful moments and yeah I see people hating eren and sakura for being whiny you understand if you watched aot and hf and Shinji because he was like very very depressed even something its felt like even if you tell him to die he die with a smile btw Shinji was the character who influenced this tread of making little bit emotional or human characters before Shinji most of the characters where made are mostly strong mentally as well as physically in many ways.

Oct 16, 2021 8:00 AM
Jun 2021
ChocoKoyokoyo said:
Because boys don't cry.
then y’all be the same ones complaining about how society doesnt allow y’all to cry đź’€
Oct 16, 2021 8:01 AM

Aug 2020
Takemichi is straight up weak and useless, ever since Moebuis Incident he acts like a big shot when he isn't and he would have cried and whined if he didn't know in the first place that Draken is gonna die

Oct 16, 2021 8:01 AM
Feb 2021
Austin_Beale said:
I love most of those characters except Takemichi, and I don’t dislike him because he’s whiny, I dislike him because he’s a moron
he is not a moron it just that anime Don't reached at that point he grows some balls with time l.

Oct 16, 2021 8:04 AM
Feb 2021
Mr_Giraffa said:
If the person hates Sakura Matou, their opinion is automatically invalidated.
yeah they just ignored what happened with her and how frightened she was and she just don't want to lose the things she love the most anymore.

Oct 16, 2021 8:08 AM
Feb 2021
Kaiseki said:
Honestly, I kinda hate whiny mc , but that doesn't mean I can't accept weak mc. I just want a mentally strong mc.
yeah but these characters are children and you can't expect them to be that much mentally strong.yeah I don't like when a fully fledged adult cry over small things.

Oct 16, 2021 8:11 AM
Feb 2021
_REDOX_ said:
Takemichi is straight up weak and useless, ever since Moebuis Incident he acts like a big shot when he isn't and he would have cried and whined if he didn't know in the first place that Draken is gonna die
agreed but he got good development as the story progress you know what I mean if you readed the manga.

Oct 16, 2021 8:12 AM

Aug 2020
shivamrajput958 said:
_REDOX_ said:
agreed but he got good development as the story progress you know what I mean if you readed the manga.
ye I have read the manga, from what I wrote previously I am talking from an Anime perspective

Oct 16, 2021 8:15 AM
Feb 2021
_REDOX_ said:
shivamrajput958 said:
ye I have read the manga, from what I wrote previously I am talking from an Anime perspective
yeah I know because I made this thread beleiving that the person who is participating atleast watched anime and their opinions is based on anime sole and yeah it's good you readed the manga.

Oct 16, 2021 8:18 AM
Sep 2020
ChocoKoyokoyo said:
Because boys don't cry.
yeah you're totally right, guys just don't have that crying gene /s
Oct 16, 2021 8:26 AM
Mar 2021
i think people see whiny characters as poorly written because most of what they do is cry. It feels like there’s little character building when they’re complaining for most of the season
Oct 16, 2021 8:34 AM
Sep 2019
shivamrajput958 said:

I like characters with emotion rather than ones that just have an expressionless face and walk on like nothing happened, especially when something traumatising happens to them

The thing that annoys me with Takemitchi is not the fact that he cries, its that he'll just stand there doing nothing during a battle and say "I need to help this person" while they're dying on the floor, but he's just standing still. I know you need time to react but that person needs help dude and all you can do is shout at them or just stare
Though in some cases it does feel natural
And no, I'm not a Takemitchi hater, I actual like him. Just not during those moments.
All opinions are valid, unless they hurt people. Or suck.
May 2021
Zac22 said:
shivamrajput958 said:

Most people hate a character like that. This also happened with subaru from rezero too,touma from index and more. At the end of the day,I guess they couldn't accept a weak mc. People like these mostly doesn't really care about writing as long as mc is badass.
anyone who thinks that Subaru is a whiny bitch for crying is someone who has no right to speak on anything regarding human emotions or good fleshed out charachters ever again
May 2021
Zac22 said:
shivamrajput958 said:

anyone who thinks that Subaru is a whiny bitch for crying is someone who has no right to speak on anything regarding human emotions or good fleshed out charachters ever again
Oct 16, 2021 8:40 AM
Apr 2020
First of all you sure have mixed a lot of characters here..
Sakura's childhood and her deep psychological problems clearly justify why she cries so much knowing that she's not a main character to much care about (exept in heaven's feel route) .
And Eren isn't even a similar character to these above (I haven't watched Evangelion so idk about Shinji), calling him a crybaby for crying over deserved situations is a very stupid thing to do when he's much realistic than any other MC ..
Now let's talk about the real crybabies shall we ?
While Takimitshi is literally a cheap copy of Deku but without intelligence, and I'm not talking about him being useless but also because he left nothing for us to attach to for his character, Deku is a bit better when it comes to crying because at least he has something to build on it which is his good intentions and his understandable backstory ..
Oct 16, 2021 8:41 AM
Apr 2021
Nah, I can't explain, but Takemichi's a dumbass, I can't like him, even if he gets strong
Oct 16, 2021 8:43 AM

Apr 2021
It's because the MC is the guy who gets the most of the screentime. The story revolves around him. And if all he does is crying and standing still like a moron then it becomes difficult to tolerate the show
I love Monogatari Series
Oct 16, 2021 8:45 AM

May 2021
I don't hate whiny/weak characters, I hate dumb protagonists who think they are smart ie takemichi. I don't have a single problem with the above mentioned characters except takemichi.

Oct 16, 2021 8:50 AM

Mar 2021
people who think that are sadists who dont have a soul. they only know to enjoy when other people cry and criticize at them for being that way. it doesnt matter how strong you are, you are not a human if you dont have emotions.
Jan 2021
in all the cases you mentioned, the character has a construction for us to understand why he is like that, different from takemichi, he doesn't have any character construction to make him more believable, he is at most a stereotype of a whiny and asshole character ,nothing more, not even his family situation, which was something basic to understand because he entered the world of violence was shown to us, so, really being a weak character does not mean a poorly written character,but the same goes for the opposite
JF_BOOct 16, 2021 9:00 AM

May 2020
Because Shinji really is an unbearable character, which is quite evident throughout the series and in opening minutes of EoE.
For Takemitchy, you can't just accept a 26 year old shedding tears every time whenever he fails to do something, even those kids he was with weren't like him.

As for Eren and Sakura, I never hated them and same goes for Deku too.
Oct 16, 2021 8:57 AM
Aug 2021
I don't have a problem with boys who are in touch with their emotions. What I do have a problem is that when their emotions prevent them from having character growth. From the very first episode, Takemichi was weak and cried a lot. Twenty episodes later he is still weak and keeps crying a lot. He showed character growth when he choked that one dude, but after that he just reverted back to his old self. Where is the character growth?

Dec 2020
I like takemichi but Tokyo revengers manga gave me so many reasons to love other characters and “neglect” Takemichi. For me there isn’t that much special things ‘bout him even tho its a main character. How ever crying doesn’t mean that character is week BUT there is alot anoying characters which are just whiny. For example in Naruto Shippuden my least fav. Character is naruto just cuz the way how he’s whiny orrr when You were expecting epic fight but then came “talking no jutsu”
May 2021
_Lyborick_ said:
fufu,shinji has so many haters for being a crybaby and for running from the troubles but they don't understand that shinji is the one of the most realistic MC.
Oct 16, 2021 9:17 AM
May 2021
I don't care about other characters here except for shinji I mean why hate him .People who hate on shinji for being a cry baby are dumbass they don't know what realistic character mean.Shinji is always misunderstood by some dumbass people. And Shinji is easily the best character of eva.And i didn't mention eren as he got a great development and now people like him(although i have never seen people hating on eren).
Milan-5Oct 16, 2021 9:26 AM
Oct 16, 2021 9:21 AM

Aug 2021
I don't think they're poorly written, but it can be a problem if being a whiny/crybaby is their only trait, people want to see them grow as people and learn from their mistakes, not always cry about it.
Oct 16, 2021 9:33 AM

Jun 2020
shivamrajput958 said:
_Lyborick_ said:
actually both takemitchi and deku got really good development in manga you got to see that in upcoming seasons maybe mha season 6 or 7(it has some of the best arc from manga and takemitchi in season 2 & 3 just wait they got their moments and belive me moments means very impactful moments and yeah I see people hating eren and sakura for being whiny you understand if you watched aot and hf and Shinji because he was like very very depressed even something its felt like even if you tell him to die he die with a smile btw Shinji was the character who influenced this tread of making little bit emotional or human characters before Shinji most of the characters where made are mostly strong mentally as well as physically in many ways.

As someone who reads the MHA manga, I know what will happen and I'm truly grateful for their being actual meaningful development, but at the same I can't disregard the fact that there was a 5 season wait to get that. I would have been happy if there was foreshadowing of these events or even small increments of development each arc, but that is not the case. For 5 seasons, he has been a only crybaby, and when push comes to shove he just gets shoves. The only moment I can point to him getting slivers of development is Deku Vs. Bakugo fights.

I have no clue for Tokyo Revengers, but if you are saying that they get actual development in the next arc then I will have hope for Takemitichi.

I think many people are misunderstand depression are not the same thing being a crybaby. That's why I would say Shinji has a justification to be actually sad. So, those who say that he is a crybaby just don't understand the depth to Shinji or are just averting from it due to how emotionally bog down one can feel. On the other hand I guess one can come up with reasons for AOT or Fate, but they are flimsy at best since every time they cry either we are shown that their emotional psyche being further broken down, or making resolving actions after that.
Oct 16, 2021 9:39 AM

Jun 2020
NoBoDY-5 said:
_Lyborick_ said:
fufu,shinji has so many haters for being a crybaby and for running from the troubles but they don't understand that shinji is the one of the most realistic MC.
Why do people even call Shinji a crybaby? He is not a crybaby. He is going through one of the most realistic way one faces depression except turned to 11 due to the situation he is put in. Depression and being a crybaby aren't interchangeable. I personally have not faced the Shinji haters. They probably have either hate him for being depressed, which they personally have never experienced, or they just don't like the heavy emotional aspect to a show.
Oct 16, 2021 9:40 AM
Feb 2021
NoBoDY-5 said:
I don't care about other characters here except for shinji I mean why hate him .People who hate on shinji for being a cry baby are dumbass they don't know what realistic character mean.Shinji is always misunderstood by some dumbass people. And Shinji is easily the best character of eva.And i didn't mention eren as he got a great development and now people like him(although i have never seen people hating on eren).
now hate about eren got less but before season 3 many people hate him with full heart.i loved him from the start and even after the end same goes for Shinji as well because I can understand his feelings and what was going in his mind is which is also potrait beautifully in the anime.

Oct 16, 2021 9:44 AM

Jun 2019
You know. People can have certain preferences when it comes to characters they like or dislike. There's no set standards to determine whether or not you should like that character. For example, I hate characters that constantly cry. Do I think they're a bad character? Most of the time, no.

However, I do believe that certain character archetypes are a lot more beloved from a writing standpoint. If you take a look at characters outside of anime, the majority of the most beloved aren't crybaby protagonist.

Oct 16, 2021 9:50 AM
May 2021
_Lyborick_ said:
NoBoDY-5 said:
Why do people even call Shinji a crybaby? He is not a crybaby. He is going through one of the most realistic way one faces depression except turned to 11 due to the situation he is put in. Depression and being a crybaby aren't interchangeable. I personally have not faced the Shinji haters. They probably have either hate him for being depressed, which they personally have never experienced, or they just don't like the heavy emotional aspect to a show.
Yeah,Those people who hate shinji are morons they are not trying to understand that shinji's actions are valid.And every characters can't be same otherwise the show will be uninteresting.If someone don't understand shinji as a character then i don't think Eva is for them .Sure you can call him annoying and whatever you want but just try to understand him as a character before hating him.
Oct 16, 2021 9:55 AM
Apr 2021
I dont mind crying characters. Everyone has their way of expressing emotions and that's understandable. But the problem with takemitchy is that he cries almost every episode multiple times and it gets old really quickly
Oct 16, 2021 10:01 AM

Apr 2019
I don't mind criers, if anything I like a protagonist that can cry. However, some criers are also pussies and I hate pussies. There are always exceptions to the rule though. I guess it just depends on what kind of mood I'm in.
Oct 16, 2021 10:05 AM

Nov 2019
shivamrajput958 said:
Kaiseki said:
yeah but these characters are children and you can't expect them to be that much mentally strong.yeah I don't like when a fully fledged adult cry over small things.
takemichi is literally a 26 year old in a middle schooler body how is he a child.
Oct 16, 2021 10:08 AM

Nov 2019
How can anyone hate sakura from fate,like did we even watch the same show,eren in the early seasons and takemichi in the anime were annoying and weren't good written characters at all,later on they may get better but we are talking about what has been adapted in the anime,as for whiny characters subaru is whiny and cries a lot but many people love him because he is really well written and you can fully sympathise with his situation and character.
Oct 16, 2021 10:16 AM
Dec 2020
Subaru also cries and is whiny
Deathlydash
Oct 16, 2021 10:24 AM
Mar 2021
shivamrajput958 said:
hey hey, I don't really care if they cry or not as long as they're good written. Okay I'm joking. There's a limit to bitching lol. At some point it becomes seriously annoying. Thank fucking god deku stopped it during the earlier seasons. Who tf says takemitchi cries a lot? He cries once in a while but he doesn't cry that much. He might be the one who cries the most in Tokyo revengers but fuck no, it's not even that much. I didn't dislike eren in the earlier seasons for his crying. Honestly until this post came I didn't even notice that he cried quite frequently. But what annoyed me about eren was he was hyperactive wannabe most of the time in the earlier seasons. He was not stable. And that too to an extreme extent. I haven't seen evangelion so I don't know about Shinji. I haven't seen fate either so idk about this sakura of yours.
Oct 16, 2021 10:28 AM
Feb 2021
Deathlydash said:
sorry I don't know about him because I doesn't watch re:zero till now so that's why I don't put in the list I hope you understand.but from what I heard he got good development in the anime but I can't give opinion until I watched the show.

Oct 16, 2021 10:31 AM

Feb 2021
shivamrajput958 said:
Deathlydash said:
sorry I don't know about him because I doesn't watch re:zero till now so that's why I don't put in the list I hope you understand.but from what I heard he got good development in the anime but I can't give opinion until I watched the show.
Subaru actually does stuff and grows (a lot) Takemichi literally does nothing and just cries every episode.
Oct 16, 2021 10:32 AM
Feb 2021
TanakaTarou24 said:
shivamrajput958 said:
hey hey, I don't really care if they cry or not as long as they're good written. Okay I'm joking. There's a limit to bitching lol. At some point it becomes seriously annoying. Thank fucking god deku stopped it during the earlier seasons. Who tf says takemitchi cries a lot? He cries once in a while but he doesn't cry that much. He might be the one who cries the most in Tokyo revengers but fuck no, it's not even that much. I didn't dislike eren in the earlier seasons for his crying. Honestly until this post came I didn't even notice that he cried quite frequently. But what annoyed me about eren was he was hyperactive wannabe most of the time in the earlier seasons. He was not stable. And that too to an extreme extent. I haven't seen evangelion so I don't know about Shinji. I haven't seen fate either so idk about this sakura of yours.
I respect with your opinion and I think people just nitpicking about eren character because maybe they have different character they like in the show or when the show gets popular some people starts hating because it's gets more recognition than their favourite show.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Revengers Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2021

335 by Captain22 »»
Apr 21, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Revengers Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

250 by Captain22 »»
Apr 19, 3:52 AM

Poll: » I read so many people saying that Takemichi is a pedo and i want to know your opinion

Onii-chanShuki - Sep 29, 2021

30 by Piromysl »»
Apr 2, 10:41 PM

» Worst protagonist ever? ( 1 2 3 4 )

Leon888 - Jan 14

169 by KobayashiChi »»
Mar 19, 3:57 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Revengers Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2021

253 by Ryokonoma »»
Mar 10, 11:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.