Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Do You Think Sonny Boy is Cult Classic Anime Masterpiece in Present Time?

New
Sep 23, 2021 1:56 AM
Jul 2017
For me it's a big bol YES.

This is the most interesting & thought provoking anime of the year imo. I am certain it need of multiple viewing to uncovers all the hidden meaning & details. Unfortunately it's another case of too deep & too arthouse of a show that kinda reduce its popularity & overall rating.

Still rather weird imo this anime not being talk about a lot more both in Western & Japan...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 23, 2021 2:22 AM
Mar 2019
Nah not close to that.Unless some miracle happens in the last few episodes which could rival some of the best moments in anime,I dont think so.It's really thought provokimg tho i ll give it that.
Sep 23, 2021 3:04 AM
Jan 2021
AliasterB2003 said:
Nah not close to that.Unless some miracle happens in the last few episodes which could rival some of the best moments in anime,I dont think so.It's really thought provokimg tho i ll give it that.

Yeah I like the anime and I'm eager to see what the ending is gonna be like but even if it's good the overall anime is nowhere near a classic/masterpiece
Sep 23, 2021 3:13 AM
Nov 2020
JoestarOk said:
AliasterB2003 said:

Yeah I like the anime and I'm eager to see what the ending is gonna be like but even if it's good the overall anime is nowhere near a classic/masterpiece
I hope the last episode is a big info dump ngl I wanna know what’s happening
Sep 23, 2021 3:22 AM
Mar 2019
Jontayy said:
JoestarOk said:

The one time in anime where an exposition dump is something we want. xD
Sep 23, 2021 3:23 AM
Nov 2020
AliasterB2003 said:
Jontayy said:

The one time in anime where an exposition dump is something we want. xD

Lol I wish Evangelion fucking did it instead of me researching for basically a full day to understand everything
Sep 23, 2021 8:03 AM
Mar 2021
Nah I just think it’s a pretty good anime
Sep 23, 2021 8:20 AM
Apr 2021
we can't say nothing until its final, so let's hope we can call it like that
Sep 23, 2021 9:50 AM

May 2021
Yes I do feel the same
Sep 23, 2021 10:38 AM

Jul 2015
genuine answer: no! the anime is far too confusing and convoluted
Sep 23, 2021 10:45 AM

Mar 2015
It's gonna be on the same boat as Lain, Haibane Renmei, Kaiba, Mononoke etc.
Sep 23, 2021 7:52 PM
Feb 2018
Sonny is a good anime, 7 or 8/10
Masterpiece? I think no
Sep 23, 2021 7:55 PM

Jan 2020
I don't not sure if it's got the popularity to become a classic within the anime community. Though I suppose only time will tell

Sep 23, 2021 8:24 PM

Jul 2017
Let's be frank: like Odd Taxi, Sonny Boy will be a modern-day cult classic. Nothing more than that.
Sep 24, 2021 12:53 AM
May 2018
Wait for it to finish. It's been really good so far.
Sep 24, 2021 2:35 AM
Feb 2011
This thread proves that people here don't understand what "cult classic" means. Yeah, shit like this won't stand the test of time. I bet that this thing will be forgotten like a season or two after it airs. Remember Deca-Dence, that show where every Sakugatards on Twitter hyped up last Summer 2020? Lol. No one talks about it nowadays.
Sep 24, 2021 4:19 AM
Aug 2021
Maybe not a “cult classic,” but amongst a very select niche of anime fans it will be beloved. Anime might be a little too “out there” for most. In the same way Lain is remembered. It’s not a cult classic but it is highly appreciated by a passionate group. But that’s just my opinion on the matter. Nothing more.
Sep 24, 2021 6:29 AM
Jul 2021
Dark_Pride said:
Remember Deca-Dence, that show where every Sakugatards on Twitter hyped up last Summer 2020? Lol. No one talks about it nowadays.

Deca-dence was so bad it's good shonenshit. You couldn't have picked something more different to compare Sonny Boy to.
Sep 24, 2021 9:06 AM
Feb 2011
^ Sonny Boy's rating is 7.53 while Deca-Dence is 7.42, they're not far-off with respect to viewer's perception of the show. Both shows were originals directed by celebrated auteurs, and both shows were treated as darlings by anime critics and Twitter sakugatards. I'm just saying that barely anyone will remember this in 1 or 2 years. I could say the same for Vivy and ODDTAXI. All those shows would barely be in any discourse in 1 or 2 years. People should stop deluding themselves if they think otherwise.

Just to say, I'm not even saying that Sonny Boy or Deca-Dence are bad shows. Its just that people here throw the words "classic" and "masterpiece".
Sep 24, 2021 9:10 AM

May 2021
Unless they pull a masterpiece final episode this anime is quite unremarkable. A bunch of messages about life and allegories stitched together, you have to be extremely pretentious to think that this is a masterpiece just because how pseudodeep and abstract everything is, cmon now

Sep 24, 2021 10:00 AM
Jul 2021
Dark_Pride said:
This thread proves that people here don't understand what "cult classic" means. Yeah, shit like this won't stand the test of time. I bet that this thing will be forgotten like a season or two after it airs. Remember Deca-Dence, that show where every Sakugatards on Twitter hyped up last Summer 2020? Lol. No one talks about it nowadays.

When people say cult classic, I think of shows that are definitely not widely known but celebrated by small groups of fans that do know those shows. I consider shows like angel egg, kaiba, planetes, hyouge mono, kyousougiga, mononoke, metropolis, kaiba, den-noh coil, erin, and many others as cult classics. Going by your logic, those shows are utter crap that failed miserably just because those shows never got any attention and is largely unnoticed by the anime community and almost nobody outside of certain circles ever talks about them even when those shows are still airing yet alone a season or even years after those shows finish airing when those shows are probably some of the most memorable anime that I've ever watched and are great shows in their own right. I think that there should be a distinction to be made when people say "cult classic" as opposed to "classics". "Classics" are shows that are masterpieces that are very popular and in many cases revolutionize a genre or even the entire industry, shows like Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion fit this category neatly as both of them are very popular shows that either defined a genre as what Cowboy Bebop did for space western or revolutionizes an industry in Eva's case. They are both great shows that are still talked to today hence they can be qualified as classics. Cult classic on the other hand are shows that never got a ton or if any attention at all but are very good shows in their own right and are adored by people in certain circles that actually got a chance to watch and enjoy them, hence the name "Cult Classic". So you can clearly see that an anime success or quality in this case is not determined by their popularity at all and there are certainly tons of quality old or obscure shows that don't get talked often and sonny boy has a potential to fit neatly into the "Cult Classic" category especially after the amazing episode 11 that just hypes up the ending. On that note, sonny boy is pretty very similar to Tatami Galaxy which is also another cult classic where nothing really makes any sense for the first 9 episodes but the final 2 episodes really tied together perfectly pushing what was only an interesting/good show to the position of a cult classic/masterpiece and one of my favorite anime of all time. And it's not surprising since the director of Sonny boy, Shingo Natsume actually worked of Tatami Galaxy so he might've taken some inspiration from that show. I'll end this lengthy comment by also pointing out that Sonny Boy never got as popular as deca-dence did so it's a little bit unfair to compare those 2 shows together
CharlesDeGaulleSep 24, 2021 11:14 AM
I'M THE NUMBER ONE DICK RISING UP TO MAKE YOU FEEL SMALL
Sep 24, 2021 10:05 AM
Aug 2017
No.

It's the magic of directing. People just bought into that, which the director intends the audience to do. Up till now, there is no actual story, or remarkable character development, or solution, or progress, or actual message to the society that society is not aware of. It has eerie mute theme, nice graphics, soundtrack and fit directing which all are entertaining.
Sep 24, 2021 10:07 AM
Jul 2021
I wouldn't say cult classic, as it's not really mainstream but has its own niche. I would put in the same category as Tatami Galaxy, Kaiba, and Mononoke.
Sep 24, 2021 10:11 AM

Sep 2021
I don't think Sonny Boy will be a cult classic because it's just not popular. I do imagine that the current rating will be bumped up over time.
Sep 24, 2021 10:14 AM
Jul 2021
Gween_Gween said:
Unless they pull a masterpiece final episode this anime is quite unremarkable. A bunch of messages about life and allegories stitched together, you have to be extremely pretentious to think that this is a masterpiece just because how pseudodeep and abstract everything is, cmon now

I mean, that's what tatami galaxy did and many that have watched that show certainly think that it's a great show. I'm not saying that everyone liked it but it certainly great. And going by your rating you seem to like it and that shows really shows how you can tie a story that seems incoherent, weird, and pretentious and somehow makes everything fit neatly and make perfect sense by the end
Sep 24, 2021 10:16 AM
Jul 2021
SooBasicc said:
I don't think Sonny Boy will be a cult classic because it's just not popular. I do imagine that the current rating will be bumped up over time.

Cult classic isn't the same as classic my man. Great and popular shows are called classics while great but relatively unknown shows fall in the cult classic category so sonny boy clearly can fall in the cult classic category depending on how they end it
Sep 24, 2021 10:17 AM

Jan 2021
No.
I don’t think sonny boy is a cult classic anime. And I won’t go many details on it. But one of the reasons for it being popularity.
Sep 24, 2021 10:24 AM
Jul 2021
xershey said:
No.
I don’t think sonny boy is a cult classic anime. And I won’t go many details on it. But one of the reasons for it being popularity.

Like I said many times, cult classic isn't the same as classics. Cult classics are shows that are great in their own way but is relatively unknown hence it's called "cult classic" and not just "classics". Go search for what cult classic means and the following will appear, "A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film with a cult following, obscure or unpopular with mainstream audiences, and often revolutionary or ironically enjoyed".
CharlesDeGaulleSep 24, 2021 11:13 AM
Sep 24, 2021 10:25 AM
Jul 2021
Gween_Gween said:
you have to be extremely pretentious to think that this is a masterpiece just because how pseudodeep and abstract everything is, cmon now

I think it succeeds at what it set out to do with flying colors. It's sad to think it'll be held back from the score it deserves by people it managed to offend, like you.

Dark_Pride said:
Just to say, I'm not even saying that Sonny Boy or Deca-Dence are bad shows. Its just that people here throw the words "classic" and "masterpiece".

Deca-Dence absolutely is a bad show. It doesn't deserve a 7, not even close.
ReelensSep 24, 2021 10:30 AM
Sep 24, 2021 10:44 AM

Jan 2021
CharlesDeGaulle said:
xershey said:
No.

Like I said many times, cult classic isn't the same as classics. Cult classics are shows that are great in their own way but is relatively unknown hence it's called "cult classic" and not just "classics". Go search for what cult classic means and the following will appear, "A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film with a cult following, obscure or unpopular with mainstream audiences, and often revolutionary or ironically enjoyed".

Ohhhh, I see.
My bad lol then.
Sep 24, 2021 11:07 AM

May 2021
CharlesDeGaulle said:
Gween_Gween said:

I mean, that's what tatami galaxy did and many that have watched that show certainly think that it's a great show. I'm not saying that everyone liked it but it certainly great. And going by your rating you seem to like it and that shows really shows how you can tie a story that seems incoherent, weird, and pretentious and somehow makes everything fit neatly and make perfect sense by the end

Tatami Galaxy is way more entertaining than watching this though? The delivery of it is miles better.
Yes, I find it enjoyable in certain sense, but as I said, it has to tie all of this perfectly.
Reelens said:

I think it succeeds at what it set out to do with flying colors. It's sad to think it'll be held back from the score it deserves by people it managed to offend, like you.

the fuck you talking about offended lmao

Sep 24, 2021 11:13 AM
Jul 2021
Yes, I find it enjoyable in certain sense, but as I said, it has to tie all of this perfectly.

Tatami galaxy is certainly more episodic hence it might come of as more of an enjoyable watch as you at least gets a nice little closure every episode and sonny boy definitely is more of one overarching story hence it might seem weirder and many thing seems unexplained but just because you like something better doesn't make the other approach bad if that makes any sense. We still haven't seen the final episode so anything can still happen for all I care. Tatami was also not the most watertight story around before the last episode at least for me so I'm still hoping for the best for sonny boy.
Sep 24, 2021 11:13 AM
Jul 2021
Gween_Gween said:

It's pretty much the fable of The Fox and the Grapes. Your response to it not playing to your expectations of what anime should be like leads you to tear it down whenever you can. You don't think you can understand its appeal, so it may as well be garbage so you don't have to feel bad about it.
ReelensSep 24, 2021 11:18 AM
Sep 24, 2021 11:31 AM

May 2021
CharlesDeGaulle said:

Tatami galaxy is certainly more episodic hence it might come of as more of an enjoyable watch as you at least gets a nice little closure every episode and sonny boy definitely is more of one overarching story hence it might seem weirder and many thing seems unexplained but just because you like something better doesn't make the other approach bad if that makes any sense. We still haven't seen the final episode so anything can still happen for all I care. Tatami was also not the most watertight story around before the last episode at least for me so I'm still hoping for the best for sonny boy.

I have no problems with the lack of closure of certain ideas or concepts since that is life. As I said, trying hard to be abstract and symbolic doesnt mean that it is an instant masterpiece and it comes off as corny, for me of course. Being layered doesnt mean being a puzzle, if all we got through a boring or convoluted exposition is a simple message then it just threw the information wrong
Reelens said:
Gween_Gween said:

It's pretty much the fable of The Fox and the Grapes. Your response to it not playing to your expectations of what anime should be like leads you to tear it down whenever you can. You don't think you can understand its appeal, so it may as well be garbage so you don't have to feel bad about it.

I don't treat it as garbage, I just think that the execution and the overall story isnt that strong because it tries to hard to convolute the message in monotonous expositions and allegories that are either too sparse or too condensed. To say that it is not a cult-classic or whatever is not to say that it is garbage lmao

Sep 24, 2021 9:01 PM
Jul 2021
I have no problems with the lack of closure of certain ideas or concepts since that is life. As I said, trying hard to be abstract and symbolic doesnt mean that it is an instant masterpiece and it comes off as corny, for me of course. Being layered doesnt mean being a puzzle, if all we got through a boring or convoluted exposition is a simple message then it just threw the information wrong

Same thing can be said for shows like tatami galaxy yet you and many others still adore that show. Yet again, we'll have to see the ending to see which of us is right and see if this really is just a convoluted mess with tons of symbolism of will it be a cult classic that stands the test of time like Tatami managed to be
Sep 24, 2021 9:06 PM

Jul 2019
Depends on certain individuals, I feel. I mean, like others said, unless it's something on the level Tami Galaxy or Eva, which I don't think Sonny Boy is, it won't be considered it.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Sep 24, 2021 9:11 PM

May 2021
CharlesDeGaulle said:

Same thing can be said for shows like tatami galaxy yet you and many others still adore that show. Yet again, we'll have to see the ending to see which of us is right and see if this really is just a convoluted mess with tons of symbolism of will it be a cult classic that stands the test of time like Tatami managed to be

I'm still missing something with your comparison against TTG, it doesnt really fit the same paradigm as far as I have experienced, but I'm with you, I wouldn't watch this show if I had no hope to be surprised by some spark of beauty at some point

Sep 24, 2021 9:11 PM

Jan 2009
nah this will be forgotten easily too once the new season arrives lol

modern anime are like that their popularity fades away easily due to how much new anime overshadows the old ones
Sep 24, 2021 9:17 PM
Jul 2021
deg said:

modern anime are like that their popularity fades away easily due to how much new anime overshadows the old ones

The question is "Whether it be a cult classic or not" and if you actually bothered to search what "cult classic" means then you'll know that there's a difference between "cult classic" and "classics". A show doesn't have to be popular to be considered a cult classic, its only a matter of the quality of the show
Sep 24, 2021 9:23 PM

Jan 2009
CharlesDeGaulle said:
deg said:

The question is "Whether it be a cult classic or not" and if you actually bothered to search what "cult classic" means then you'll know that there's a difference between "cult classic" and "classics". A show doesn't have to be popular to be considered a cult classic, its only a matter of the quality of the show

i know what cult classic means that there is a cult of fans following it like a classic but my opinion remains that it will be forgotten by a lot of people to even failing to form any kind of cult following
Sep 24, 2021 9:25 PM
Jul 2021
i know what cult classic means that there is a cult of fans following it like a classic but my opinion remains that it will be forgotten by a lot of people to even failing to form any kind of cult following

I don't know about that tbh. I mean, even obscure shows like metropolis, tatami galaxy, den-noh coil, erin, and many others that is largely forgotten still have a small but cult following to this day.
Sep 24, 2021 9:28 PM

Jan 2009
CharlesDeGaulle said:

I don't know about that tbh. I mean, even obscure shows like metropolis, tatami galaxy, den-noh coil, erin, and many others that is largely forgotten still have a small but cult following to this day.

Metropolis really? maybe Dennou Coil with the sakuga fans but i do not know about others having Cults or they are secretive Cults? that are not in social media?
Sep 24, 2021 10:10 PM

Aug 2019
I think it'll be viewed in a way similar to how Serial Experiments Lain and Wonder Egg Priority (before the ending) were viewed (idk if that makes any sense). Very niche, but very thought provoking as well. I don't think it is a masterpiece, but it is pretty damn good. Based on how it ends, it could very well be a 9 for me.
Sep 24, 2021 10:49 PM
Jul 2021
deg said:
Metropolis really? maybe Dennou Coil with the sakuga fans but i do not know about others having Cults or they are secretive Cults? that are not in social media?

Cult Classics aren't well-known by definition. Why do you expect to know many?
Sep 24, 2021 10:54 PM

Jan 2009
Reelens said:
deg said:

how do you even measure Cult Classic then? its too vague to measure at all
Sep 25, 2021 1:46 AM
Jun 2020
Without a doubt yeas
Sep 25, 2021 1:52 PM
Jul 2021
deg said:
Reelens said:

And yet people know what Cult Classics are. Must be magic.
Sep 25, 2021 2:20 PM

Jan 2009
Reelens said:
deg said:

demystify it then if you can especially in the age of the internet where even niche fandom are expose and there are vocal minorities
Sep 25, 2021 5:23 PM
Jul 2021
deg said:
Reelens said:

demystify it then if you can especially in the age of the internet where even niche fandom are expose and there are vocal minorities

Cult Classics are not defined by having a cult following. They garner a cult following over time because they are Cult Classics. Ergo, they might simply not have garnered a following for all the reasons that can happen. Another alternative is that their following is in a language other than English, for example. There's many ways for you personally to not be aware of something people care about. You are not aware of most things most people care about at any given time.
Sep 26, 2021 6:38 AM

Mar 2020
absolutely not but it's good
check out odd taxi
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2021

296 by mabba »»
Apr 28, 5:50 PM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

16 by WatchTillTandava »»
Apr 18, 7:03 AM

» Did Sonny boy give you a huge impact after finish it?

kisaragi_eki - Sep 8, 2023

44 by JessicaKari »»
Apr 2, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2021

113 by vit_ »»
Mar 24, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

160 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 23, 4:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.