Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 5, 2021 11:19 AM
Oct 2020
Re:Zero is an incredibly entertaining casual watch at least to me but I think one of its most understated qualities is its ability to be a decent gateway anime. I did make a video on the subject:https://youtu.be/-Ng5aNdYteg

But I'd like to know your guys' opinion, do you think Re:Zero is a decent gateway show? Do you know anyone who's gotten into anime through this show? Or do you think it's overhyped?
Please let me know :)
Sep 5, 2021 11:30 AM

Mar 2018
i’m not watching your video but i do agree that it could service as a gateway show.
good emotional peaks, decent balance of tragedy and comedy, good action scenes, it’s got a little bit of everything
Sep 5, 2021 11:47 AM

Jan 2021
i see your point but doesn't that take away from one of its key objectives? Like being an isekai horror is a big deal in its own right. Part of why I was so taken aback was because I was expecting something along the lines of Konosuba or Sword Art, but I got this emotional bloodfest instead.
Plus there were several isekai references and being an extremely serious parody of the genre, I think a person should've watched a couple of isekai before to get a better experience. Brilliant show, but too unconventional to be a gateway imo.
Sep 5, 2021 11:55 AM

Aug 2020
MoneyPizza said:
Best gateway anime’s are classics like naruto and then like AOT

You mean Death Note and FMAB
Sep 5, 2021 12:08 PM

Feb 2020
For some reason that I cannot understand it seems to have mass appeal, so yes, I guess it can be a gateway anime.
Sep 5, 2021 12:23 PM
Jan 2021
As a fact I got into anime with Re:zero. Now I'm a regular anime, manga and web-novel fan.
Before re zero the only anime I've seen were Ghibli's movies. Re:zero's worldbuilding is still one of the best I've seen so far. I think that is the main feature that appealed to me in this anime and that I enjoy so much in the ongoing web novel. I would even go as far as putting it in pair with Harry Potter's and Game of throne's worldbuilding and I believe it is still to flourish at fullest, I suppose ;)
Sep 5, 2021 12:32 PM
Jul 2020
I don’t think it will work that well as a gateway, it’s a amazing show but for a new anime watcher some things and actions will turn them away from anime. E.g the actions Subaru does, un logical decisions. Etc… btw this is just my experience of telling my friend to watch this as his 2 or 3rd anime
Sep 5, 2021 1:03 PM
Jan 2021
It is one of the best isekai anime according to me.And it's not overhyped.It is not much of a gateway anime as it includes gruesome death scenes.
Sep 5, 2021 1:03 PM

Apr 2021
Re:Zero is definitely not a gateway show. I mean people who don't even know what anime is getting into this right at the start is gonna be a nightmare. It's super hard to sit throught without an extreme amount of stress (at least that's how it was for me), and even the possibility the person could be traumatized for a while (no kidding)
Note: If you are confident enough I guess any anime can be a gateway. Re:Zero was the fourth or fifth anime I watched iirc, and I enjoyed it. What I just said is for the general audience and I didn't feel it's an anime for the lighthearted-story loving people.
CreepHazardSep 5, 2021 1:06 PM
Sep 5, 2021 1:31 PM
Feb 2021
I think it may be for some, but tbh I think Subaru starts off as too unlikable as a MC for someone looking to get started. I'd recommend for people to get started
with something shorter and with immediately likable characters, like Samurai Champloo, One Punch Man, or Banana Fish.
Sep 5, 2021 2:01 PM
Jun 2021
Re zero was actually the second anime I have watched and let me tell you, it's not really a great gateway anime in my opinion. I'm gonna talk about my past experience while watching the show when I was just getting into anime.

In the beginning, I actually got pretty confused, I was like "What? How tf did he just get transported to another world without any explanations given at all?" (i didnt know about isekai since i just started watching anime at that time) and that plagued my mind a lot for quite some time. The dialogues were kinda difficult to follow through since I haven't really gotten used to sub translations yet, and I didn't really know that much about anime tropes and such. The Betelguese guy was kinda annoying as well and made me say "wtf is this guy on?" and almost made me wanna turn away from the show. I didn't really like the comedy parts of the anime(cuz i was a new fan, and I didn't really understand anime and its tropes) Not saying I didn't enjoy the show though lol, there were plenty of good scenes, some were pretty ok, while a few didn't interest me etc.

In conclusion, Re zero is great but it is not a great gateway anime, speaking from experience. I will definitely rewatch Re Zero though since I am pretty sure rewatching it will change the way I think about it(since I have watched a couple anime and I'll know what imma be going through).
aceoptimum_01Sep 5, 2021 2:06 PM
Sep 5, 2021 2:30 PM
Jun 2021
Personally I don’t think it’s that good of a gateway, as for the topics the show introduces are pretty intense. If we are sticking to the isles I genre, SAO or any more casual one like Jobless Reincarnation is good.
Sep 5, 2021 3:59 PM

Jan 2020
I think it can be a great gateway. Personally it wasn't mine but I can see it working for others

Sep 5, 2021 4:14 PM

Jul 2016
No I think Re Zero is designed for those already immersed into the Anime Fandom.

The waifu’s are a huge part of the appeal of the show. People who aren’t big into anime think thay attraction to drawings is weird.

There also isn’t anything particularly allurin about the premise of the show.

This is a somewhat controversial opinion of mine but I think the show is hindered by too much dialogue. The characters really aren’t saying much. By the end of season 2 this problem ruins the show.
The show doesn’t have that many good ideas.
Sep 5, 2021 4:39 PM

Jun 2021
Absolutely No. Re Zero is my favourite anime but I can't deny the reason why I enjoyed this show more is cause I had watched few more psychological animes and found myself understanding Subaru more. I don't think I would have liked Subaru more like I do now if I didn't watch those few animes
You are amazing 『Natsuki Subaru』
Sep 5, 2021 5:08 PM
Jan 2021
Mmm, Rezero is in my top 10 but I’m not sure if it should be a gateway anime. Most people would enjoy it early on their “anime watching career” but it might be a little boring for most, since the start is a little slow. It’s a little intense for a gateway anime.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Sep 5, 2021 5:47 PM
Mar 2021
Well re zero was my first anime and i loved it so i think it's a very good gateway anime but to my friends i still recommend animes like death note and aot as their first anime
Sep 5, 2021 10:20 PM
Jan 2017
Hell no, my two of my friends who barely watches anime watched Re:zero and they got bored the first 6 episodes because of the time loop, and I explained to them that it gets way better but nah, they didnt listen, maybe recommend it to people who appreciate most of the stuff they watch, but not with the people that only watches fight animations.
Hhhmmmmmm.......
Sep 6, 2021 12:50 AM

Aug 2021
DoobieSam said:
I think it may be for some, but tbh I think Subaru starts off as too unlikable as a MC for someone looking to get started.

Personally disagree that Subaru was unlikeable at the beginning since his opening character was what made me watch the whole this
Sep 6, 2021 4:35 AM

Feb 2019
Well it's an excellent way to introduce people to just how shitty anime can get, so, basically, yes.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Sep 6, 2021 4:48 AM
Jul 2021
Dont watch it as a gateway anime as its not that. If you are escaping depression you got from another show buckel up cause you just got urself trapped in the hell of depression, suffering and god knows what not.
Sep 6, 2021 8:10 AM
Feb 2021
I would say yes if the series was completed but it’s not, I feel like a gateway anime has to be finished or close to finishing like aot or fmab. I also know that there is a lot of source material for the anime which means it will be a long anime when it is finished and I wouldn’t recommend a long anime like naruto or hxh. Instead I would recommend something like death note or the disastrous life of saiki k. Another thing that I believe a gateway anime should be able to do is show that not all anime are the same and unfortunately re:zero, while being very unique, is set in a fantasy world which would put a lot of people off anime and would give them a bias. While anime such as the aforementioned anime Death note allows people to connect with the characters and people are able to relate with both light and Ls ideologies. But on the other hand an anime like re;zero is not the worse thing to recommend to someone as there first anime I wouldn’t say it is the best anime to recommend.

Some anime that I have recommended to people who want to start anime are;
Jojo, death note, aot, fmab, steins;gate and code geass.
Sep 6, 2021 8:30 AM
Jan 2021
I disagree.
Re:Zero was one of my first anime and if not my friend who told me I can't watch it faster than him, I would absolutely drop it. Subaru (and so does the comedy aspect overall) is so unbelievably cringy throughout the first arc I could barely stand it.

Of course not everyone will react to it the same way as I did, but when I try to think of a gateway anime, I instantly ditch everything with even a pinch of typical, japanese humor. It's just so diffrent that you have to get used to it step by step.
Sep 6, 2021 11:44 AM
Feb 2021
eyeofflame said:
DoobieSam said:
I think it may be for some, but tbh I think Subaru starts off as too unlikable as a MC for someone looking to get started.

Personally disagree that Subaru was unlikeable at the beginning since his opening character was what made me watch the whole this

That's totally fair. I love Subaeu, but if he had been my first MC, I would've dropped the show and never given anime another chance.
Sep 7, 2021 5:39 AM
Jun 2020
Re:Zero confused me a lot and I’m pretty good at paying attention. Especially rossweld. (I don’t care if I butchered his name) I don’t think it’s a good gateway because of how different it is to normal shows. I think something like aot, demon slayer, and my hero academia are the best
Sep 7, 2021 3:55 PM

Nov 2019
Having it as one of your first isekais is cool. It's truly a gateway WN as it will set your tastes.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Sep 8, 2021 10:13 PM
Aug 2021
I mean it worked for me ig
Sep 13, 2021 2:35 AM
Oct 2019
Hell no, there is no way this can be gateway anime.
Sep 14, 2021 4:54 AM

Jan 2019
Definitely no. Re:Zero is one of last anime you should watch.

You need to watch many Isekai, Mystery, Drama, Psychology, Action shows even Shounens to understand why Re:Zero is best of all of them.
OkeanixSep 14, 2021 1:31 PM

Looking for better series than Re:Zero

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Yesterday

32 by KuyaC »»
11 hours ago

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.