Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 6, 2021 3:04 PM

Jul 2017
Well then.... the volume itself was continuing the rushed and messy trend of the previous volume but I liked the little ending with Myucel and Shinichi finally getting together and being engaged technically.... until the epilogue. What on earth was that lol. Probably the most abrupt, random epilogue I've seen to a series, or at least one of the top ones. I get the whole message of otakus after so much time are still looked down upon, even worse now and that the group (Shinichi, Myucel, Hikaru, Elvia and Minori) seemingly are still on the side of heroes when it comes to otakus, but the whole thing was just.... weird and spoiled the volume I'd say. Can't help but feel really irritated by the end despite a couple of good things in the volume itself. No real closure for the other side characters either except Petralka who before the epilogue, was okay with letting Shinichi go before he got to choose where to end up.

Overall, the series had a novelty aspect to it at the start and an alright first 2 volumes, but then was really stagnant with the storytelling and progression and ideas for most of the story till the SciFi final few volumes took over, which became a mess. The series really lost its charm and identity early on and it affected most of the series. The characters aren't annoying or detestable, but are not really that great either sadly. I do like Myucel's personality a lot, shame her development was really a flatline except her feelings for Shinichi, which was pretty much the same for like 15 volumes at least minimum. This series maybe would've been okay if it was 8 volumes instead of 18, or if there was more actual focus with developing the otaku culture organically throughout the series and having people from Eldant truly learn how to create manga/LNs/anime and adapt, with some profits going to Amutech with Shinichi's help. Would've made the whole otaku culture feel a lot better integrated and respected as a whole. In the end, it doesn't really matter beyond Myucel sticking with Shinichi. Poor Brooke and Cerise were pretty invisible too for most of the series, including the final arc except one moment with Brooke helping Hikaru. Yeah this was generally a pretty rough ending for a rough, empty, soulless series in general.
Oct 30, 2021 5:21 PM
Dec 2020
animejas said:
Well then.... the volume itself was continuing the rushed and messy trend of the previous volume but I liked the little ending with Myucel and Shinichi finally getting together and being engaged technically.... until the epilogue. What on earth was that lol. Probably the most abrupt, random epilogue I've seen to a series, or at least one of the top ones. I get the whole message of otakus after so much time are still looked down upon, even worse now and that the group (Shinichi, Myucel, Hikaru, Elvia and Minori) seemingly are still on the side of heroes when it comes to otakus, but the whole thing was just.... weird and spoiled the volume I'd say. Can't help but feel really irritated by the end despite a couple of good things in the volume itself. No real closure for the other side characters either except Petralka who before the epilogue, was okay with letting Shinichi go before he got to choose where to end up.

Overall, the series had a novelty aspect to it at the start and an alright first 2 volumes, but then was really stagnant with the storytelling and progression and ideas for most of the story till the SciFi final few volumes took over, which became a mess. The series really lost its charm and identity early on and it affected most of the series. The characters aren't annoying or detestable, but are not really that great either sadly. I do like Myucel's personality a lot, shame her development was really a flatline except her feelings for Shinichi, which was pretty much the same for like 15 volumes at least minimum. This series maybe would've been okay if it was 8 volumes instead of 18, or if there was more actual focus with developing the otaku culture organically throughout the series and having people from Eldant truly learn how to create manga/LNs/anime and adapt, with some profits going to Amutech with Shinichi's help. Would've made the whole otaku culture feel a lot better integrated and respected as a whole. In the end, it doesn't really matter beyond Myucel sticking with Shinichi. Poor Brooke and Cerise were pretty invisible too for most of the series, including the final arc except one moment with Brooke helping Hikaru. Yeah this was generally a pretty rough ending for a rough, empty, soulless series in general.
Hi, do you know what happens to Petraka at the end of the light novel? And is it true that Eldant's portal was closed in the end??
Feb 15, 2023 9:48 AM
Jul 2013
Messy SciFi aside, I think that the whole final battle thing, while cool, should have been skipped entirely: if there was a volume to focus on the characters' daily lives and feelings, this was it! And it started so well with Myusel and Shinichi enjoying themselves with some shopping together, goddamn it!

Of 8 volumes after the Japan arc, 4 are sci-fi action, two are harem-comedy with a twist, one is a collection of short story, and the last one sure is something, and in only the very first one there's actually some effort to spread otaku culture with the cosplay party that gets just a little more than a mention in the whole volume, so much for the Akiba Tycoon premise.

It's infuriating how Shinichi realized only at the very end, when he saw an aspiring Eldant manga artist, that he realized that Eldant could produce its own otaku goods, after Eldant scripted and acted an entire movie, using magic for the special effects, he discovered that there's some printing technology available when he was captive in Bahairam, knowing an aspiring Eldant light novelist, and having employed a Bahairamanian illustrator, despite his goal being to spread otaku culture without making Eldant a vassal state of Japan. There's dense, and then there's dense.

That epilogue scene would have been fine as a setup for a sequel, but we all know that's just not going to happen.

Overall, I think it was worth reading all the 18 volumes just for Shinichi's proposal.

There is the Gaiden volume which is supposedly a wrap up from the Eldant side. I have read the first part of the preview, and sure part of me wants to pretend that Gaiden doesn't exist, while the other part of me is confident that, while the author might have made plenty of questionable decision throughout the entirety of the novel, there's no way he's that incompetent. 
MimKJWPqmYxFZwoYFeb 15, 2023 2:59 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Outbreak Company: Moeru Shinryakusha Volume 12 Discussion

animejas - Aug 5, 2021

4 by Ryuseishun »»
Jan 1, 2023 5:48 PM

Poll: » Outbreak Company: Moeru Shinryakusha Volume 17 Discussion

animejas - Aug 6, 2021

0 by animejas »»
Aug 6, 2021 1:38 PM

Poll: » Outbreak Company: Moeru Shinryakusha Volume 16 Discussion

animejas - Aug 6, 2021

0 by animejas »»
Aug 6, 2021 12:15 PM

Poll: » Outbreak Company: Moeru Shinryakusha Volume 15 Discussion

animejas - Aug 6, 2021

0 by animejas »»
Aug 6, 2021 11:14 AM

Poll: » Outbreak Company: Moeru Shinryakusha Volume 14 Discussion

animejas - Aug 6, 2021

0 by animejas »»
Aug 6, 2021 8:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.