Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 21, 2021 3:52 PM

Aug 2019
This is not about whether Vagabond is worthy of the score it has now. Personally, I think it's a great series that was an enjoyable experience. However, unlike One Piece, Vagabond is not an ongoing series and has no anime adaptation which is why I'm surprised by its massive jump within the past year. The pandemic is an explanation but considering this series has been on hiatus since 2015, I'm confused as to why its jump barely happened now, and why did it happened to Vagabond specifically as opposed to older manga.

Edit: 9.02 to 9.14. Crazy to see Vagabond boost so much over the past year along with One Piece.
SkullKn1ghtAug 19, 2021 2:24 AM
Jun 21, 2021 4:42 PM

Apr 2020
dewwm said:
This is not about whether Vagabond is worthy of the score it has now. Personally, I think it's a great series that was an enjoyable experience. However, unlike One Piece, Vagabond is not an ongoing series and has no anime adaptation which is why I'm surprised by its massive jump within the past year. The pandemic is an explanation but considering this series has been on hiatus since 2015, I'm confused as to why its jump barely happened now, and why did it happened to Vagabond specifically as opposed to older manga.

Perhaps with the sudden, and unfortunate 'ending' of Berserk due to Miura's death... many people are looking at other manga such as Vagabond to read
Jun 23, 2021 12:06 AM
Aug 2020
dewwm said:

As you mentioned earlier pandemic is the reason and also this manga started to get more attention after it went on hiatus and the score started increasing from that point but yes it truly deserves the place where it is right now or probably i will even put it above One Piece & Steel Ball Run but anyways this manga is seen by a lot of people as the alternative of Berserk so as the other guy said after Miura's death more berserk fans started to dig into this manga.
That's what all the reasons i can see for it's jump in reception.
Aug 18, 2021 11:19 PM

Nov 2016
Ryakachi said:
dewwm said:

As you mentioned earlier pandemic is the reason and also this manga started to get more attention after it went on hiatus and the score started increasing from that point but yes it truly deserves the place where it is right now or probably i will even put it above One Piece & Steel Ball Run but anyways this manga is seen by a lot of people as the alternative of Berserk so as the other guy said after Miura's death more berserk fans started to dig into this manga.

IMHO, it doesn't deserve to be above either One Piece or Steel Ball Run since I feel those are quite better, but I'm glad that it got up to 4th. Now if only Vinland Saga could get into the top 10 as it rightfully deserves, preferably above Vagabond.
Aug 19, 2021 12:26 AM
Jul 2021
People must've been looking for good manga from top manga and its in top 5 and is action adventure set in japan. In pandemic people must be looking for stuff. Thats why i read it just after berserk.
Aug 21, 2021 1:02 PM

Nov 2018
Time has been catching up as more people are reading the series, same thing with many other manga series. I think it'll create a feedback loop as more people will read the manga as the score continues to rise. It may even overtake One Piece within the next few months or so.

Expect the top 50 to look different by year's end

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Aug 22, 2021 2:19 AM

Jul 2020
Manga as a whole has grown exponentially in the past 2 years. I think vagabond has a more wider appeal than many other top 20 titles because who tf doesn't like samurai. Plus it boasts one of the best art manga has to offer.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2021 4:06 AM
Feb 2020
_cjessop19_ said:
Time has been catching up as more people are reading the series, same thing with many other manga series. I think it'll create a feedback loop as more people will read the manga as the score continues to rise. It may even overtake One Piece within the next few months or so.

The only thing i can see changing for now is blue period being in the top 50 but thats it
Aug 22, 2021 4:26 AM

Nov 2018
SenseiC_ said:
_cjessop19_ said:

The only thing i can see changing for now is blue period being in the top 50 but thats it

Blue Period, CSM, Tokyo Revengers, Houseki no Kuni, Ashita no Joe, Vinland Saga, and the top 4 are the ones that I've noticed to have risen the quickest, so they will change spots the most as time progresses.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Aug 22, 2021 5:20 AM
Feb 2020
_cjessop19_ said:
SenseiC_ said:

Blue Period, CSM, Tokyo Revengers, Houseki no Kuni, Ashita no Joe, Vinland Saga, and the top 4 are the ones that I've noticed to have risen the quickest, so they will change spots the most as time progresses.

yeah completely forgot about those
Aug 22, 2021 5:31 AM

Aug 2019
_cjessop19_ said:
SenseiC_ said:

Unfortunately, not every manga is rising exponentially. Some are even dropping. Fullmetal Alchemist, Kingdom, and 20th Cetury Boys are some that come to mind.

Edit: As I say that, Kingdom boosted by 0.01 but still lower than it was last year.
Aug 26, 2021 4:48 PM

Jan 2021
I think people must be finding it from the rise in popularity of manga youtubers, its place near the top of the list, and berserk fans taking it up. I would also wager that it has more universal appeal/stands the test of time better than some of the other manga up here.

I myself got into Vagabond last year because I saw a mangacap of it as my friend’s chess.com header, of all things, and asked them where it was from. I also live near a mural for it, and seeing it really sold me on starting the series. Now it’s in my top 3 favorite manga.

Before you try revolutionizing the country, why don’t you revolutionize yourself first? - 土方十四郎
Feb 14, 2022 7:54 PM

Dec 2021
SurgeonOfDeath7 said:

IMHO, it doesn't deserve to be above either One Piece or Steel Ball Run since I feel those are quite better, but I'm glad that it got up to 4th. Now if only Vinland Saga could get into the top 10 as it rightfully deserves, preferably above Vagabond.

edit ::

excuse me for my elitist ways , I repent
kushmonatlMar 22, 2022 10:20 PM
Feb 14, 2022 11:19 PM

Nov 2016
kushmonatl said:
SurgeonOfDeath7 said:

Haven't read neither One Piece nor Jojo manga

but something tells me Vagabond is waaay better than both of those , not just by me but by a majority of people

Could say the same about those 2 being better than Vagabond, and that too by a majority of ppl I know as well...
Feb 15, 2022 4:41 PM

Dec 2021
SurgeonOfDeath7 said:
kushmonatl said:

but something tells me Vagabond is waaay better than both of those , not just by me but by a majority of people

Could say the same about those 2 being better than Vagabond, and that too by a majority of ppl I know as well...

again excuse me for my elitist ways , I repent
kushmonatlMar 22, 2022 10:21 PM
Feb 17, 2022 3:59 PM

Nov 2016
kushmonatl said:
SurgeonOfDeath7 said:

eh to each his own but ima have to call bs

Says 'to each their own' and then claims BS just cause the narrative doesnt fit in with his agenda....Lmao ok buddy.
Feb 17, 2022 9:39 PM

Dec 2021
SurgeonOfDeath7 said:
kushmonatl said:

Says 'to each their own' and then claims BS just cause the narrative doesnt fit in with his agenda....Lmao ok buddy.

once again , pls excuse me
kushmonatlMar 22, 2022 10:22 PM
Feb 19, 2022 5:48 AM
Sep 2021
kushmonatl said:
SurgeonOfDeath7 said:

Diffrent opinions exist my guy
Feb 19, 2022 6:25 PM

Dec 2021
Pussyit8 said:
kushmonatl said:

Diffrent opinions exist my guy

clearly my friend
Feb 19, 2022 6:26 PM

Apr 2018
Increase in interest in manga will always bring an increase in interest to good manga.

The increase in interest came from more people being stuck at home (obviously)
My taste is trash. So is yours.
Feb 20, 2022 7:29 PM

Jan 2022
SurgeonOfDeath7 said:
Ryakachi said:

I haven't read JoJo's manga but I think I could say it's above One Piece, even if it isnt as "fun" as the latter. It's much shorter but definitely has much stronger characterization and themes. One Piece is great but it is repetitive in certain areas, and does sometimes fall victim to tropes
Built4CubanLinxFeb 20, 2022 7:33 PM
Feb 21, 2022 7:27 AM

Apr 2021
YungKrizzle said:
SurgeonOfDeath7 said:

I haven't read JoJo's manga but I think I could say it's above One Piece, even if it isnt as "fun" as the latter. It's much shorter but definitely has much stronger characterization and themes. One Piece is great but it is repetitive in certain areas, and does sometimes fall victim to tropes

Hype:
Oh, Part 7 is the main liked Part every other Part is mainly mixed not even making it to the Top 50 except for Part 7. it's mainly for how the art in the story grows along with the characters and the themes thanks to it going from shonen to senin it grows in art to an extreme and double panels spread and overall characters who in the weekly jump version were kind of looked standard once it trnasiitoned to senin it grew from that. Also the score is so high for Part 7 based on the hype of Part 6 and wanting Part 7. I would say why its above things like OP and Vagabond is because of the Hype of JoJo(Fanbase),Memes, Art, Characters, Ending that kind of stuff.
Comparison to OP:
OP is more liked for the friendship vibes and worldbuilding and how the story and world feel like its connected and overall the hype and its score is mainly based on them IMO being like FMAB fans who want that high score above like Naruto or Bleach which you can see by them review bmbving on IMDB, MAL etc. Also OP usually falls victim to overcomedy centric parts ruining tone, sterotypical character, bad arcs, overly simplistic to extreme art,
Mar 22, 2022 10:28 PM

Dec 2021
@SurgeonOfDeath7 @Pussyit8

I feel I should issue out a formal apology,

I may have been a bit elitist in my views and convos regarding Vagabond .. and I repent

(I was responding with a little honest trolling :) , but that's neither here nor there)

pls forgive my anime/manga elitism (シ_ _ )シ
Mar 24, 2022 8:48 AM

Nov 2016
kushmonatl said:
@SurgeonOfDeath7 @Pussyit8

I feel I should issue out a formal apology,

I may have been a bit elitist in my views and convos regarding Vagabond .. and I repent

(I was responding with a little honest trolling :) , but that's neither here nor there)

pls forgive my anime/manga elitism (シ_ _ )シ

It's all good with me my dude, and we're friends now as well so let's let by gones be by gones! :)

Hope you enjoy the recommendations! :D
Mar 29, 2022 2:16 PM
Sep 2021
SurgeonOfDeath7 said:
Ryakachi said:

SurgeonOfDeath7 said:
kushmonatl said:

only if you consider entertainment over the philosophy of existentialism. In that case, sure they are. But then you lose at life at every level
of analysis.
Havoc-Mar 29, 2022 2:21 PM
Mar 31, 2022 1:42 AM
Sep 2021
Za_Panda said:
Havoc- said:

only if you consider entertainment over the philosophy of existentialism. In that case, sure they are. But then you lose at life at every level
of analysis.

Mf acting like JoJo or One piece are only entertainment mangas without any philosophy and Vagabond is the only philosophical piece

"Lose at life at every level" 🤡🤡🤡
Becoz of bozos like you seinen fans have a negative reputation

I don’t give a shit about the reputation of seinen fans lol.

Yeah Jojo and OP has philosophy for children. OP is also a story with a mythological narative, it encapsulates the Myth of the Hero’s journey in it and is more like an adventure than an existential quest for meaning, much more relaxed and for children. Vagabond is something else, something like Berserk that has grounds in reality and an understanding of the human condition, an understanding which JoJo and OP does not or is not designed to have, even Naruto is way more philosophical than OP and JoJo. So yeah if you prefer entertainment over reality, you lose at life due to the obvious reasons of our existential predicament as human beings, so gg.🤡🤡🤡
Havoc-Mar 31, 2022 2:33 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 327 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Interstice - May 24, 2015

105 by wafflegir »»
Apr 16, 8:50 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 2 Discussion

jeanfarias - Jan 15, 2012

16 by Goongalar »»
Apr 13, 4:53 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 59 Discussion

DeleteThisShit - Nov 28, 2013

13 by dantehasdantedme »»
Apr 12, 11:54 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 322 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - Jan 19, 2014

37 by astoneon »»
Apr 11, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 315 Discussion

Raikoye - May 25, 2013

13 by astoneon »»
Apr 11, 1:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.