Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 20, 2021 12:27 PM
Jan 2021
Hello guys I plan to watch Fruits Basket and I wouldn’t mind watching the older version. I know it has an original ending so is there any reason to watch this of the 2019 version looks better and follows the manga? Thanks in advance
Jun 20, 2021 12:37 PM

Jul 2020
not really, the anime original ending and the artstyle are pretty much the only difference between the 2001 version and the modern version.
Jun 20, 2021 12:38 PM
Mar 2020
herofelix77 said:
Hello guys I plan to watch Fruits Basket and I wouldn’t mind watching the older version. I know it has an original ending so is there any reason to watch this of the 2019 version looks better and follows the manga? Thanks in advance

I would say yes. But thats because I prefer the original over the new. Sure, the new one has more seasons and more stuff. But the original is amazing and by watching both, you get to compare both of the shows, which is very fun to do.
Jun 20, 2021 1:17 PM
Nov 2020
So I haven’t actually seen the remake but I can say looking at clips this one is funnier than the remake. It seems a lot more light hearted and I think it is worth your time since it’s short and just enjoyable. Do you need to start with this one? No but I’d suggest it.
Jun 20, 2021 2:03 PM
Jul 2020
If you want to have the closest experience to the manga, then the remake is better. I actually prefer the reboot for that reason. The original has nostalgic value and has aged well. Watch both and see which one that you prefer.
Jun 20, 2021 2:12 PM

Jun 2016
Historical curiosity.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 20, 2021 3:31 PM
Feb 2016
herofelix77 said:

If you want to see how the art style changes and if you want a version that's more faithful to the manga, then the reboot is for you. The original is sillier with minimal of the plot points of the remake. The original is good if you're just looking for something fluffy, not too dense and just wanna watch it in one go then move on with your day. The original is a bit more character driven.

If you want something a bit more heavier, more story-driven, then the remake is best.

I've seen both and the original will always, always hold a place in my heart but I enjoy the remake so much more.
Jun 20, 2021 5:05 PM
Apr 2016
For the nostalgia of the For Fruits Basket opening. The soundtrack in general is good too, and in some ways better than than the new one imo. If you watch the new one first, you probably won't like this one as much as if you watch this one first, given the higher animation quality and better plot of the new one. If you're willing to watch the old one as well as the new one I'd recommend old one first, but if you're only gonna watch one it should definitely be the new one. Also, while the old one adds extra comedy and removes plot, it does have some comedy from the manga that was left out of the new one.
Jun 20, 2021 7:58 PM
Jan 2019
herofelix77 said:

I watched the 2019 version first and did judge the original version with no good reason, but I really enjoyed it too. Watch both. It’s worth it.
Jun 20, 2021 8:12 PM
Mar 2020
Nostalgia if you have it. It’s not very good imo. It treats the material like a cartoon, especially with the dub. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
Jun 20, 2021 8:12 PM
Feb 2021
absolutely. theres just no beating the music and the old school shoujo feel.
Jun 20, 2021 10:33 PM
Jan 2021
You get used to the old art style after a while I promise haha

The old version’s a lot more comedic and lighthearted, there’s lots of golden and iconic lines and extra scenes that weren’t included in the reboot. They also successfully get you in the feels with the emotional moments, and the music is great. I love the opening and ending. The finale of the season is a bit different from the reboot, but it was good nevertheless
Jun 20, 2021 11:54 PM
Dec 2018
herofelix77 said:

The original is still worth watching if you really want to sink your time into fruits basket. Which I totally recommend. While it is sort of a self contained story, it's basically season 1 of the remake with some minor but significant differences.

The original is more centered around comedy: slap stick, funny dialogue, and whacky shenanigans. But the original still does have some soul crushing moments that make you cry. The remake is the complete story and focuses remaining very faithful to the manga. Which basically means it's narrative is a solid mixture of drama and comedy.

I love both versions and their English dub counterpart. Dub is definitely a solid recommendation bc the entire cast kills it in their vocal performances.
Jun 21, 2021 6:43 AM
Dec 2019
welp not realllly but i think the first adaptation was more light hearted and comedy based (with a few sad backstories) and if you’re looking for a real laugh the english one is pretty funny ! it’s more of a get to compare art styles and phrases and stuff which is fun
Jun 21, 2021 7:04 PM
Jan 2015
The remake is definitely superior, but watch both versions if you can. You don't get many opportunities in anime to view the same source material depicted with different styles.
Jun 22, 2021 8:23 AM
Jul 2018
I love the original, I think it's definitely worth watching! It's a lot more funny and lighthearted...I've been loving the remake but I think they're both worth your time! The original is only one season anyway so it's a pretty quick watch
Jun 22, 2021 10:56 PM
Apr 2020
I watched the first version in 2016 when I was about 12 years old or so, and I like it, I think because it brings nostalgia, but without a doubt the remake is much better, besides being faithfully following the original work, it has the production much better done, I would recommend seeing both because it's cool to compare things like: character design, animation, voice actors, stuff like that. if you're patient you can see both, the 2001 one is too nostalgic and it was also my first experience with Furuba.
Jun 23, 2021 1:57 AM
Feb 2021
You should watch both. In the remake there are newer characters and the art is better but the old version has a happy, fun attitude which makes u dig it!
Jul 5, 2021 4:54 AM
Mar 2018
The 2001 is definitely more comidic and a lot of stuff have been changed from the Manga. The episode where Hana and Uo visit gave me a heart attack and a made me laugh but it was Anime original content.

The 2019 version is way more faithful to its source material, has more depth and depression and it is the complete story.
Aug 18, 2023 5:37 AM
๐™ฟ๐™ฐ๐™ธ๐™ฝ

Feb 2023
I am watching the original for the first time now, but I did the reboot first. I’m not really liking this version that much. I may be spoiled cause I saw the new shiny one before this one but there’s a big difference in the presentation of the story.

- The original is so cheesy and has too much unnecessary goofiness - in fact the author of the manga clashed with the director over this and other changes because it took away the heart of the story
- I have a dub preference in all anime but some of the dub acting seems lame and cringy at parts even though most of the same actors reprised their roles for the new one, but they did a phenomenal job the second time around (not sure if this is due to them having more experience or better production)
- The dialogue between characters doesn’t flow very well - instead there are harsh pauses after sentences that make it feel stiff and unnatural
- Some of the Japanese names are pronounced incorrectly in this version, but said correctly in the reboot
- I don’t care for the art style but I won’t really use it against the anime because it was what was popular at the time but it is a little distracting for me
- The plot, which is a heartbreaking and emotional story with drama and romance, is almost ignored in this version and it doesn’t follow the source material as well as the reboot and is incomplete because the manga wasn’t finished at the time - the reboot makes you feel the emotions on another level, actually follows the manga and completes the entire story

Other than nostalgia for some people, this is an inferior version of Fruits Basket. You could skip this version and be fine. I only want it as a completion for my list.
nevermoreHOARAug 18, 2023 5:49 AM
๐™ธ ๐š”๐š—๐š˜๐š  ๐š™๐šŠ๐š’๐š— • uฬฒmฬฒaฬฒiฬฒ • ๏พšαmßεη† ๏พšïgh† • ษช'แด แด€สŸสŸ ๊œฐษชส€แด‡แด… แดœแด˜ • ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜-๐ŸŸ • ๐”ฅ๐”ข๐”ž๐”ฉ
๐™„'๐™‡๐™‡ ๐™†๐™„๐™‡๐™‡ ๐™๐™ƒ๐™€๐™ˆ ๐˜ผ๐™‡๐™‡ • ๐’ฏ๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’ ๐’œ๐‘”๐‘’๐“ƒ๐“‰ • ๐๐ฅ๐ฎ๐ฌ ๐”๐ฅ๐ญ๐ซ๐š • แต–แต˜สณแต–หกแต‰ สฐแต’หกหกแต’สท • แ–‡Iแ‘•Eแ—ทแ—ฉแ’ชแ’ช

Mar 7, 6:54 PM
Dec 2013
Not really, since the artwork, animation and quality is pretty bad, seeing it's an early digital ink-and-paint anime. Pretty much every anime made in the 90s (for example Magic Knight Rayearth) looks way better than FB 2001.
wildhoodMar 7, 7:00 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 25 Discussion

Alicia3000 - May 7, 2009

45 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 20, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 6 Discussion

Zerosbakainu - Sep 15, 2008

34 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 9, 9:12 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 20 Discussion

bluegummiworms - Dec 25, 2008

26 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Feb 29, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 12 Discussion

Zerosbakainu - Sep 22, 2008

25 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Feb 25, 6:38 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Juliab - Dec 13, 2007

51 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Feb 22, 11:37 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.