Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 29, 2021 6:34 AM

Apr 2020
Tirihas said:

Or when Eso says "you guys will die in 10 minutes from my poison blood" only to think to himself "they'll actually die even faster because I explained my technique."

That statement was the most retarded statement I have ever heard in any anime I have ever seen in my entire life. No joke
"Humans are like isolated islands, floating in the sea of fate.
Human encounters are like the collision of these lonely islands, and once they touch, there would be an effect. Sometimes, the islands would stick together, in the name of ‘interest’, ‘kinship’, ‘friendship’, ‘love’ and ‘hate’. But eventually, they would separate, walking towards the path of destruction.

This is the truth behind life."

-Fang Yuan
May 29, 2021 6:40 AM

Apr 2020
Tirihas said:
So there's been a lot of "JJK is hated and Generic" threads so I figured let's make a thread about what we found interesting or non-standard about JJK.

I liked "explaining your power".
It's a common shonen trope but JJK turns it into a layered mechanic.
HxH has done this before as requirements for activating an ability, but in JJK anyone can do it for a power boost.
The strategy's validity changes depending on your cursed technique and your enemy's.
Some abilities it doesn't matter if you explain them because your enemy can't do anything about it, like Todo's Boogie Woogie.
Some are easier to counter, like Nanami's 7-3.

There is nothing intelligent about explaining your abilities to an enemy. It's like the dumbest thing you can ever hope to do. Why do you think characters like Naruto and Luffy win every single time (or almost every time)?
It's because the villains are complete retards who explain their own abilities to them. JJK is no different from that. Think about it, anyone with working brain cells can sit back for 5-10 seconds and think "how can I counter this?"
Human encounters are like the collision of these lonely islands, and once they touch, there would be an effect. Sometimes, the islands would stick together, in the name of ‘interest’, ‘kinship’, ‘friendship’, ‘love’ and ‘hate’. But eventually, they would separate, walking towards the path of destruction.

-Fang Yuan
May 29, 2021 6:52 AM

Apr 2020
Why are people replying "mediocre" characters, "mediocre" story, or "mediocre" this or that in a thread that specifically asks what makes the show STAND OUT?

Come on guys, I KNOW some of you don't have "english is not my first language" as an excuse, but even if you do, you can still look up what stand out means...
May 29, 2021 7:16 AM

Dec 2020
How do you stop him?
cupcake847 said:
Tirihas said:
So there's been a lot of "JJK is hated and Generic" threads so I figured let's make a thread about what we found interesting or non-standard about JJK.

I liked "explaining your power".
It's a common shonen trope but JJK turns it into a layered mechanic.
HxH has done this before as requirements for activating an ability, but in JJK anyone can do it for a power boost.
The strategy's validity changes depending on your cursed technique and your enemy's.
Some abilities it doesn't matter if you explain them because your enemy can't do anything about it, like Todo's Boogie Woogie.
Some are easier to counter, like Nanami's 7-3.

There is nothing intelligent about explaining your abilities to an enemy. It's like the dumbest thing you can ever hope to do. Why do you think characters like Naruto and Luffy win every single time (or almost every time)?
It's because the villains are complete retards who explain their own abilities to them. JJK is no different from that. Think about it, anyone with working brain cells can sit back for 5-10 seconds and think "how can I counter this?"

Okay.
Let's say you're Hanami.
You get 5-10 seconds to think.
How do you stop Todo swapping with you or swapping with Itadori?
May 29, 2021 7:53 AM

Apr 2020
Tirihas said:
How do you stop him?
cupcake847 said:

Okay.
Let's say you're Hanami.

Well I can't think for 5-10 seconds about how can I come up with a strategy if they don't tell me, I can't think even for 5-10 seconds even if they tell me. 5-10 seconds is pretty fast, I probably shouldn't have said that, but the best I can do is observe.
If they explain it to me, I can think faster. But not for 5-10 seconds, that would take me some more time to think.

-Fang Yuan
May 29, 2021 8:44 AM

Dec 2020
cupcake847 said:
Tirihas said:
How do you stop him?

Okay.
Let's say you're Hanami.

Well I can't think for 5-10 seconds about how can I come up with a strategy if they don't tell me, I can't think even for 5-10 seconds even if they tell me. 5-10 seconds is pretty fast, I probably shouldn't have said that, but the best I can do is observe.
If they explain it to me, I can think faster. But not for 5-10 seconds, that would take me some more time to think.

Look just rewatch Episode 20.
Literally all your concerns are addressed.

Wait did you seriously tag JJK with that?
Bruh why are you so salty?
TirihasMay 29, 2021 8:50 AM
May 29, 2021 10:36 AM

Apr 2020
Tirihas said:
cupcake847 said:

Look just rewatch Episode 20.
Literally all your concerns are addressed.

Wait did you seriously tag JJK with that?
Bruh why are you so salty?

I'm not being salty
If I came off as salty, I didn't mean to. I was just expressing my mind.

-Fang Yuan
May 29, 2021 10:55 AM

Dec 2020
cupcake847 said:

I'm not being salty
If I came off as salty, I didn't mean to. I was just expressing my mind.

Okay fine.
But did you rewatch episode 20?
For example, Todo explicitly tells Itadori to charge at Hanami so she doesn't have time to think up a counter-strategy.
May 29, 2021 1:28 PM

Jan 2021
The animation and the fight senes
May 29, 2021 5:31 PM
Feb 2021
How likable the characters are for me but idk. It's just a good comfort anime, nothing too big happening but still really enjoyable. I'm hyped for season 2
May 29, 2021 11:18 PM

Oct 2020
Apart from the incredible production value and soundtracks it has some pretty solid fight choreography that isn't just a 5 second sakuga moment. The female characters are actually well written and have a solid backstory. The humour of the show actually contributes to building up character relations instead of just booba jokes. And yeah, that's it. Oh and I also like a couple of Nanami's dialogue sequences, like the bread one? That was kinda deep ngl. The first 24 episodes of any Shounen usually are like JJK, more or less.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 31, 2021 12:14 AM
Sep 2020
First it has very unique powers
Second it's refreshing to see a good anime
Third great ending themes and animation

That's about all
The characters are likable too
May 31, 2021 10:23 AM
Sep 2020
Jjk is great but it's too early to decide ,jjk need to get more deep in story then it will be better
May 31, 2021 11:28 AM
Jan 2021
For me personally, it was the characters and the storyline. It wasn't just a episodic thing of where is the next finger.
There was character development for even the side characters, and the post-credits were great at world and relation building that might have been missed in the episode itself.
Also it feels real? Like the motivations and reasonings behind the characters are questioned, they doubt themselves, principles are adapted just like irl. It's not typical over-dramatic shonen motivation that never wavers. It's realistic in the sense of these are kids/young adults and they are still figuring shit out while being extremely driven.
The female characters! They're so amazing, like you can tell they're written by someone who respects and knows women. The women aren't just eye candy (they hot tho) or there for emotional-support or soft battles. These women are badass fighters with their own story and they just happen to be around the protagonist. They are not there for him, they have own storylines.
Um. Also yeah Gojo is sexy af. Nanami too.
May 31, 2021 11:44 AM

May 2015
1.) Characters. Wide varietal cast who focus on optics not even closely associated with MC. Jujutsu world centers around Gojo. Megumi is the highlight for many people in the cast(Gojo, Sukuna and others).

2.) Worldbuilding. It's not extravagant but it's more fleshed out and well thought out how the world will expand in response to cursed energy and it gives convenient excuses for why the setting in fights(abandoned buildings, hospitals, schools, etc).

3.) Handling of Formulaic Tropes. Why do characters explain powers or stall? Jujutsu technique advantages. Why is Gojo so OP? So the author can properly illustrate how to naturally elevate conflict by presenting a beacon of hope. There's a bunch of tropes JJK utilizes that would be prolonged or criticized for in other series'.

Jun 1, 2021 1:10 AM
May 2021
What made JJK stand out and initially become my favourite was two things:
1) The fight scenes. The fight between Mahito, Nanami and Itadori had me going 'hell yeah', especially when Itadori lost it at Mahito.
2) The characters. They are enjoyble to watch interact and tease each other. Fushiguro and Nobara are almost opposites but they are cool characters. But Gojo is definitely the mastermind behind the love of the characters.
Jun 1, 2021 1:35 AM
Dec 2020
Nothing. The story is basic and the characters are bad. The only thing I can think of is, that the animation is good and the characters are good looking. But story wise it's nothing special.
verysweetTensaiJun 1, 2021 7:13 AM
Jun 1, 2021 2:46 PM
Jun 2020
I really enjoyed anime the truth, but that does not leave me blind. I know perfectly well that it is not a big thing (at least what we saw in the first season), I have and I believe that we have to base our opinion on what we have seen.
Overall I think it's a solid 8/10.

We already know how this works, let's hope in a few months the score will normalize, because the one it currently has is not the one it deserves.

If you liked anime and you think it's a masterpiece, go ahead and give it a 10/10, it's not that I care.

Anyway, I hope we have all enjoyed this anime and that we will see its continuation soon: D
Jun 7, 2021 9:43 AM
Jul 2020
It doesn’t stand out it’s just done very well it’s wicked generic but a 9/10 for me
Jun 7, 2021 12:01 PM
Jul 2019
The mindless fun. Something you can turn on while relaxing and easily follow along with while not having to think too much. Nanami is also Gege’s lightning in a bottle character of sorts.
Jun 8, 2021 8:11 AM

Dec 2012
I mean, I'd say it's the 10/10 production quality. That's really it. I enjoy JJK for what it's worth, but the story is basically MHA meets D.Gray-Man. It's not like that's a bad thing, but I can't bring myself to pretend that this & Demon Slayer are groundbreaking without the animation. They could have easily been swapped out with something like Black Clover and the result would be the same.
Jun 8, 2021 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
It had a weak start but after episode 7 it was a perfect show in my opinion. Great animation, great characters, really cool power system. Loved the soundtrack as well, especially when they played the midroll song in episode 23 during fushigoro's fight. That was badass.
Jun 8, 2021 8:33 PM
Apr 2018
Dark Fantasy, Comedy, Above Average Animation, Dumb Main Character, Generic Plot, Overpowered Character(Gojo Satoru),Fast-paced plot.

There ain't another anime with these(among the popular ones) characteristics. Thus, it got popular. It was 7/10 for me. But I will just stop with S1 since I don't feel anything regarding the characters of JJK.
Jun 8, 2021 8:37 PM
Jun 2013
theres nothing ground breaking about it, but to be honest you dont really need to be ground breaking to be enjoyable.
souledge94Jun 9, 2021 12:12 AM
Jun 8, 2021 9:16 PM
Jan 2020
Paharo05 said:
People who call it generic have to understand that this is the start. Look at Hunter x Hunter. Almost everybody who finished it agrees that it isn't generic. What we have watched in the anime is just the equivalent to hxh first 20 episodes. The next two arcs to be animated are really better, the fist because it shows that Gojo is more than an OP character that is there just for making money and because it shows who is Suguru Geto, and the second (Shibuya) because it is a culmination of all the things setled in previous arcs. If the manga continues at the same level for a couple of arcs I would consider it a solid 9/10.

HxH isn't generic even in the first 3 episodes. They had a Yes or No quiz where the right answer is silence.
Jun 10, 2021 1:14 AM
Sep 2020
What I personally like is the power system its a fresh redone of unique utilisation of abilities like Hunter and JJBA but this time Gege polished it neatly, Mappa brought great animation and fight choreography.

What I don't like about the anime is the plot it is easily forgettable and the villains are not as likeable as the main cast, contrary to users above me I find JJK's humour as average as well.
Dommu-Jun 10, 2021 1:18 AM
Jun 10, 2021 7:50 AM

Sep 2020
Evrything is Perfect
Jun 10, 2021 11:27 AM
Apr 2020
Animation was great other than that story was mediocre, I mean it's first season so yeah
Jun 10, 2021 4:47 PM
Jun 2021
for me the characters
they feel real and act like their age(ignore Gojo😂) also the villains actually do damage and act like villains
Jun 11, 2021 11:57 AM

Oct 2014
Animation. Nothing else stands out about garbage like this and Demon Slayer.
Jun 11, 2021 12:11 PM

Apr 2020
"What makes JJK stand out?"

It doesn't and there's much better stuff out there in terms of animation.

beep boop bop pow
Jun 11, 2021 12:17 PM

Oct 2020
It hasn't appealed to me yet , it was a decent watch , but i can't get interested in anyone who isn't Kakashi-sensei
Jun 11, 2021 1:49 PM
Feb 2020
It’s an Above average shounen. No obvious huge problems (ie: pacing, or annoying fanservice/filler). Good animation, plus getting a really good fight every 1-2 episodes instead of the much bigger gaps like other shounen.
Jun 11, 2021 9:24 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
For me it's nothing, it's average at best.

Characters were boring with the exception of Gojo and the stellar animation couldn't save the lackluster story.

It's very similar to Violet Evergarden in that regard. Animation is stellar, everything else is not.
- Justin T. Poindexter
Jun 12, 2021 12:26 AM
Jun 2021
Matt20am said:
Not really anything
same! I didn't find anything special about it. Idk y people have rated it so high that it's reaching to the top in my anime list.
Jun 15, 2021 2:34 AM
Sep 2020
I think JJK stands out exactly coz its basic and easy to understand with flashy animation to keep First timers and newbies interested...You dont have to be a genius to follow JJK...So its very very mainstream...For me its kinda annoying that better animes get overshadowed..Not that i hate jjk
Sharry_GamiJun 15, 2021 2:38 AM
Jun 15, 2021 2:40 AM

Feb 2020
-it has an actual good female cast
-the animation is top tier
-the openings are amazing
-the characters are unique and lovable
-amazing main character
-amazing antagonist
-amazing supporting cast
-interesting power system
-story/worldbuilding check
and last but not least, gege doesn't hesiate with killing of characters...take that as you will lmao

tysm iva-🐢💜

Jun 15, 2021 11:15 AM

Jan 2020
psyko-freac said:
Paharo05 said:
People who call it generic have to understand that this is the start. Look at Hunter x Hunter. Almost everybody who finished it agrees that it isn't generic. What we have watched in the anime is just the equivalent to hxh first 20 episodes. The next two arcs to be animated are really better, the fist because it shows that Gojo is more than an OP character that is there just for making money and because it shows who is Suguru Geto, and the second (Shibuya) because it is a culmination of all the things setled in previous arcs. If the manga continues at the same level for a couple of arcs I would consider it a solid 9/10.

HxH isn't generic even in the first 3 episodes. They had a Yes or No quiz where the right answer is silence.

ikr, the exam was more about creativity and thinking out of the box, i dont remember any generic things, so it must have been very few or none
U-Y-P-W-O-C-U-T-I-K-A-T-I-P-M-I-N-I-I-D-I-H-I-W-T-S-T-I-W-S-T-O-M-P-T-I-L-U-C-H-N-I-D-T-I-I-Y-I-M-N-O-W-S-T-S-W-N-I-B-W
Jun 16, 2021 12:03 AM

May 2016
Tirihas said:
Thanks for the responses.
Though I would prefer if there were more specific examples.
Like how Yuji had to clarify his goal in episode 2 wasn't just "because my grandpa told me to" or how Sukuna's actually evil.
His goals are shallow for my taste. It’s strange, but I honestly don’t feel anything towards the protagonist. There’s nothing pushing our MC down his sorcery path and guiding the anime’s narrative. It just leaves me feeling no motivation to want to see what happens with Itadori’s story. I can’t even root for him because I’m left wondering what I’m even rooting for.
Reshiram_IXJun 16, 2021 12:14 AM
Jun 16, 2021 12:04 AM

May 2016
Adampk said:
2 things - animation and comedy (comical character)....I am pretty sure that's what attracts most people.
Every shounen has comedy
Jun 16, 2021 12:11 AM

Feb 2020
Reshiram_IX said:
Adampk said:
2 things - animation and comedy (comical character)....I am pretty sure that's what attracts most people.
Every shounen has comedy

well, it's eccentric comedy. also not every shonen has comedy
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jun 16, 2021 12:12 AM

May 2016
Adampk said:
Reshiram_IX said:
Every shounen has comedy

Name one that doesn’t have comedy in it
Jun 16, 2021 12:16 AM

Feb 2020
Reshiram_IX said:
Adampk said:

attack on titan, promise neverland, deathnote, dororo, beastars etc
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jun 16, 2021 12:18 AM

May 2016
Adampk said:
Reshiram_IX said:

There is comedy in every one of those shows you listed. I think what you’re actually trying to say is that JJK isn’t too serious. It’s more carefree
Reshiram_IXJun 16, 2021 12:22 AM
Jun 16, 2021 12:21 AM

Feb 2020
Reshiram_IX said:
Adampk said:

There is comedy in every one of those shows you listed

they were not being funny.....probably u took it as funny.
probably for what u implying no show exist which doesnt have comedy (forget shonen)
BIO

Jun 16, 2021 12:32 AM

May 2016
Adampk said:
Reshiram_IX said:
There is comedy in every one of those shows you listed

probably for what u implying no show exist which doesnt have comedy (forget shonen)
There were legit comedic moments in all those shows. I didn’t have a weird sense of humor. Some scenes in those shows were initially made to be funny. Yes, no Shounen exists that doesn’t have some form of comedy. JJK isn’t a “comedy” it just has comedic moments just like any other Shounen before it. It also isn’t the first Shonen with “comical characters”, so could you go more in depth on what you mean by “eccentric comedy”?
Reshiram_IXJun 16, 2021 12:36 AM
Jun 16, 2021 12:48 AM

Feb 2020
Reshiram_IX said:
Adampk said:

There were legit comedic moments in all those shows. I didn’t have a weird sense of humor. Some scenes in those shows were initially made to be funny. Yes, no Shounen exists that doesn’t have some form of comedy. JJK isn’t a “comedy” it just has comedic moments just like any other Shounen before it. It also isn’t the first Shonen with “comical characters”, so could you go more in depth on what you mean by “eccentric comedy”?

u dont have to be the "first shonen with..." to attract people. even my other point "animation". JJK is obviously not the first at it too.
it's more like "sense of comedy" connects too well with audience plus there are the shorts at the ending... which also add to the comedy. I think many shonen sense of comedy doesnt reaches audience tbh
BIO

Jun 16, 2021 7:37 AM

Dec 2020
Adampk said:

u dont have to be the "first shonen with..." to attract people. even my other point "animation". JJK is obviously not the first at it too.
it's more like "sense of comedy" connects too well with audience plus there are the shorts at the ending... which also add to the comedy. I think many shonen sense of comedy doesnt reaches audience tbh

Do you mean that it's because of the animation the comedy is so good?
I like how the anime switches artstyles when focusing on comedy like FMA.
There's a lot of effort put into the visual flair, which enhances the jokes.
Reshiram_IX said:
Tirihas said:
Thanks for the responses.
Though I would prefer if there were more specific examples.
Like how Yuji had to clarify his goal in episode 2 wasn't just "because my grandpa told me to" or how Sukuna's actually evil.
His goals are shallow for my taste. It’s strange, but I honestly don’t feel anything towards the protagonist. There’s nothing pushing our MC down his sorcery path and guiding the anime’s narrative. It just leaves me feeling no motivation to want to see what happens with Itadori’s story. I can’t even root for him because I’m left wondering what I’m even rooting for.

Hmmm well even if he escaped death, he would live the rest of his life thinking about all the people dying to Sukuna he could've stopped.
Wanting to avoid that doesn't seem shallow to me.
TirihasJun 16, 2021 8:33 AM
Jun 18, 2021 10:06 PM

May 2016
Paharo05 said:
The first 20 episodes of HxH were actually good though
Jun 19, 2021 2:38 AM
Dec 2020
Reshiram_IX said:
Paharo05 said:
The first 20 episodes of HxH were actually good though

For an introduction arc, they are. But the quality in those episodes is far worse than the quality in chimera ants arc. JJK's 2nd season will adapt two arcs, one about Gojo's past that makes his character really good and Shubiya (the best arc in the series till this day). The manga's quality improves with each arc, and currently we are in a transition between Shibuya and the nexts arc. But that doesn't mean this recent chapters are bad, some of them are incredible. The point is that we probably don't have seen more than 1/2 of the story in the manga, and the anime currently covers 1/3 of the manga, that 1/3 being the worst arcs of the manga.
Paharo05Jun 29, 2021 1:34 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2020

237 by manishtandurkar »»
Apr 25, 3:39 AM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2021

637 by Gingko »»
Apr 23, 2:39 PM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2021

244 by yaybeachepisode »»
Apr 18, 2:55 PM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2021

351 by Hater-chan »»
Apr 15, 10:19 AM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 9, 2020

344 by Alciefer »»
Apr 15, 10:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.