Forum Settings
Forums

Anybody else kind of getting tired of tragic backstories (or backstories in general)?

New
May 22, 2021 2:18 PM
Feb 2017
I get backstories are supposed to "add depth to the character" but it can be a bore to sit through when you don't care about the character to begin with.

I started having this issue really when Jujutsu Kaisen had it's Kyoto Exchange arc. I honestly did not care or feel that moved by kung fu panda, gundam, ashley olsen or arrow's stories.

Maybe later on down the line those stories will probably be relevant again, but honestly if the backstory is not interesting to watch, not making me feel sad (or whatever emotion im supposed to feel), doesn't make me care more about the character, and is just holding up the story, I'd rather they just not include or find a better way to drop the information in them.

I've started having this issue with One Piece too where I just don't care about the backstories because of how many characters there are

Edit: I don't inherently hate backstories. Fsr I liked Kirishima's one from My Hero S4. But then I was subsequently really bored by the depressed food quirk guy's backstory
LeftoverToastMay 22, 2021 3:09 PM
It's Aiko!!!!
May 22, 2021 2:22 PM

Apr 2018
It gets a bit tiresome when they really ham up the sadness and misfortune, but otherwise no not really.
May 22, 2021 2:25 PM

Aug 2016
I'm fine with it, unless the backstory itself is bad for some reason.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
May 22, 2021 2:31 PM

Jul 2012
I wouldn't attribute my issues to backstories as a whole
May 22, 2021 2:37 PM
Jul 2015
Personally, i don't want backstories to be overdone. For example, in a 26-episode anime, i don't want half of them to be backstories. It gets tiresome indeed. I'm looking at you Demon Slayer, which every demon has a godamn backstory.
May 22, 2021 2:41 PM

Jun 2014
Only when it has nothing to do with the story. Sports anime, action anime etc. really dont care about your characters' backstories. Like Demon Slayer -- giving literally every demon a backstory cutscene is really really unnecessary and gets old fast. (Edit: lol got ninja'd by above post). Haikyuu went through a phase where it showed child versions of almost every character.

Any 12 episode series does NOT need backstory 90% of the time.

But if its a drama or anything that is intended to be a long drawn out slow burner, then yes I want backstory.
May 22, 2021 2:58 PM

Aug 2013
I remember when reading Akame ga Kill I started laughing every time a character was about to die and a flashback would kick in because the author didn't care enough to develop those characters until the very last moment. It's almost accidental parody. Frankly for a while I thought it was a parody.
But yeah, I don't mind backstories when that's all they are, backstories. I hate it when the author make it a central piece and tries to make us care about the character by giving them a sob story. It's not just lazy but condescendent as hell.
May 22, 2021 2:59 PM

Apr 2015
Yeah it realy depends on the genre, but for many drama, or even slightly eotional anime, a backstory is necessary. Does it have to always be some king of tragic experience? No, and tragic backstories shouldn't be used to justify any bad or controversial behavior of the character :/
Overall I find them still very useful in order to flesh out the main characters, but can also be done in more subtle ways than the usual flashbacks for more minor characters, or to give a more fluid experience for the viewer.
May 22, 2021 5:43 PM

Jul 2017
Nah, I like my tragic backstories. I can understand and connect with characters more emotionally. As long as it isn't as eye-rolling and cookie cutter as Jiren's backstory. Lord knows that's the last backstory I need lmao.

May 22, 2021 6:37 PM
Jul 2016
Oh man, you would hate Demon Slayer lmao
May 22, 2021 7:39 PM

May 2021
It depends on the characters themselves. Tragic backstories only have the correct effect on the audience if the character in question is “likable” or relatable. Whether a character qualifies is really dependent on personal preferences, of course. The execution and presentation of a tragic backstory should also be considered. So the tragic backstories of characters who you don't care about or don't like doesn't have the intended effect on you.

Now to answer your question, I think tragic backstories or backstories in general are just part of the story. They are fine for the most part.
May 22, 2021 10:09 PM

Jan 2020
Eh. The recent oden flashback in one piece really sparked my love for flashbacks again so for now, I'll disagree. I still find enjoyment if it's well done

May 22, 2021 10:27 PM
Jun 2020
Flashbacks really shouldn't be used in the first place. That's a hack exposition which you'll see has been abandoned by english authors and Tv writers these days.

Only way to show it is to basically have an arc/ep dedicated to that timeline, and not show it through "recalling flashbacks". Or if the plot gives a way for to watch - one big example being Harry seeing Snape's memories through a way which is possible in that universe.

Conveying a character's past through dialogue and motives are the best ways, which anime/manga/ln rarely ever do. I have only seen a few where flashback is never used, and dialogue and such are the only things used to flesh out a character
A_G_NMay 22, 2021 10:34 PM
May 22, 2021 10:44 PM
Sep 2015
Everyone has a backstory. It just depends on how it is presented. I dont really have any issue with them.
What I agree with you is that many shows use tragic backstories to make characters more likable or the story more emotional. Sometimes it is done in a cheap way.
May 22, 2021 10:49 PM

Oct 2014
Sounds like you're recognizing bad-to-mid writing and not liking that rather than your perception of backstories.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
May 22, 2021 11:02 PM

Oct 2018
Not all writers know how to use flashbacks

Kimetsu no Yaiba has flashbacks about demons that were just killed.
Why would I care? They died some seconds ago.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 22, 2021 11:06 PM

Jan 2020
I think similar to plot twists or 4th wall breaks in video games, It's pretty common and easy for people to get lazy with them, Some anime can add intrigue to a character that makes their backstories an opportunity to know more about them, But other (imo shittier) anime have the intrigue be the backstory, Which most of the time screams "Please care about this character, We forgot to introduce him so here's a 2 minute speedrun of his arc"

Like most other factors in anime, It's good when it's done well.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
May 22, 2021 11:09 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Not really, what I am tired of about tragic backstories is when it suddenly appears in the middle of doing something important like fighting, because it means an obvious death flag

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 22, 2021 11:20 PM

Apr 2021
Not really. I don't mind any kind of backstories as long as it's not badly written.
May 22, 2021 11:26 PM

Jan 2020
I love flashbacks if done right be prepared demon slayer gonna have lots of flashback coming and I love them all .Naruto flashback were annoying though like no need to show It 2-3times you already have terrible fillers and you want to add more into it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2021 11:29 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Like everything else it depends, a lot of them come of as unnecessary or a last ditch attempt at milking some tears from you but others are handled well and actually builds the characters and their place in the world.
May 22, 2021 11:40 PM

Jan 2019
I think it's more of a problem with those anime you mentioned, or how anime approach this overall. Dropping a character's backstory in the middle of a fight as a way to introduce them or flesh them out is a very typical and repetitive trope, indeed, but sometimes it can be done right, if it accomplishes something for the plot and/or if it feels relevant enough to you.

For instance, I think Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood did character backstories really well (they really do serve a purpose for the whole theme of the story, not just a particular scene), while Kimetsu no Yaiba did it really poorly for all of the oni (based on the anime, it just comes off as a weak emotional bait). I'd say Naruto also does decent with character backstories (character development is the forte of that anime).

But, in general, sometimes you just get that feeling that the author is obviously just improvising some sad backstory to try and make you tear up a bit, or to make a character's existence feel more important and cause more impact. But if they don't really delve into it, flesh out that backstory and actually make it relevant to the subsequent scenes, then it just feels boring and predictable.
May 22, 2021 11:42 PM
Jul 2018
That's eventually what happened to me when watching Fruits Basket 2nd season, midway during Summer 2020 it was a waste of time not only repetitions but also wasting a whole episode with flashbacks. Even towards Fruits Basket The Final, I dropped it because Tooru was shy to talk to Shigure regarding "bonds", that's where my problems only persisted.
May 23, 2021 5:37 AM
May 2018
I think main problem is that most of authors want to have their own Golden Age Arc.
May 23, 2021 6:05 AM

Mar 2018
I don't mind backstories unless they excessively use them. One of my favorite characters doesn't even have a backstory while others does.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2021 2:20 PM

May 2014
Backstories are overused everywhere now. One must have a perfectly inserted flashback at the right moment, or it can completely ruin the character.

Satyr_icon said:
I remember when reading Akame ga Kill I started laughing every time a character was about to die and a flashback would kick in because the author didn't care enough to develop those characters until the very last moment. It's almost accidental parody. Frankly for a while I thought it was a parody.

I never paid much attention to flashbacks in Akame ga Kill, on how they connect to the present. They were interesting enough, and we had enough action in the main story. From what I've read, many people thought like you it was a pardoy at the time "^^ I guess AgK is just following a classic scenario diagram, but I feel the author pulled it off well enough somehow. I loved how Akame and her sister ran through the forest, explaining how they became what they are now.
May 23, 2021 8:21 PM

Sep 2019
I don't mind them to be honest.

Probably helps that most of the series I watch nowadays have nailed the presentation via the character's origin bieng the whole point of the show.
May 23, 2021 8:31 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know. They haven't really been a problem for me.

More topics from this board

» Who are your allies in the anime industry/community?

Catalano - May 1

33 by TheBerserker »»
2 minutes ago

» What is your first impression on studio (part-15) : Science Saru?

Pinoffin - Jan 11

27 by williskl14 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform? ( 1 2 )

Dije - Apr 16

95 by WaffleMaster89 »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite genre with predominantly female cast?

Sanjay63773 - 3 hours ago

7 by Spunkert »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime you would watch if it never ended

ST63LTH - 7 hours ago

13 by Spunkert »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.