Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 7, 2021 10:17 AM
Mar 2021
Nobody in the show is "evil" or "good" everybody just does their thing.

Kyubey isn't evil, he's just prolonging the life of the universe.

Sayaka fights for her "noble goal", she rejects harsh reality and its rules completely, she thinks that having a noble goal somehow magically will give her the power to overcome the constrains of the reality itself, but it isn't so. She's the example of how the people who desperately want the reality to be what it isn't and put their own delusional interpretations of such a concepts as "right", "wrong", "good", "bad", etc above the sober truths usually end up. No matter how good you think your intentions are it simply isn't enough. At her very end she acknowledges this by saying "I was stupid, so stupid", which gives me the impression of her realizing all the things I stated above.

Homura only pretends to accept harsh rules of this world, since she tries to save her friend even though she knows it's impossible no matter how hard she tries.

And then there's Kyoko who does precisely what it requires to be successful given her position. She doesn't have any personal preferences of what's right and wrong, no sophisticated moral rules to shift her perception of the reality how it actually is. She's sober, nothing drugs her mind.

Mami is a whole another story... She's naturally talented, which allows her to be successful despite being altruistic (which is a luxury, Sayaka couldn't afford due to lack of talent).

Madoka... What's so special about her? Why is it that she suddenly is the most powerful magical girl and hence would become the most powerful witch provided she makes the contract. I think the answer is nothing. Trailer tells us that she's just and ordinary schoolgirl. It's a pure coincidence, nothing more, no meaning, no intention, no nothing behind it. It's as though limitless power was just wandering across the universe until it found some completely random vessel to reside in peacefully and it happened to be an ordinary schoolgirl Madoka Kaname.

You're powerless to change the laws of the universe. The only thing you can do is to accept the rules and do your best to play according to them.

I know I may have gotten it completely wrong and there's much more to it that what I've described...

There are things I noticed but can't give them any interpretation due to lack of knowledge:
1) the world appears to be big. All the rooms, streets and objects are large;
2) the designs of witches are psychedelic (or surrealism, I'm not really sure);
3) there's not many people around apart from main characters, the world appears to be desolate.
dyapnolitermperdApr 9, 2021 2:26 AM
Apr 7, 2021 11:05 AM

Feb 2021
The art style is a hallmark of the studio named Shaft. Go watch the Monogatari series and you’ll see the same thing. It’s better than Madoka even.
My review doesn’t exactly address your observations, but it might provide you more insight into this show. http://anteikuanimereviews.com/2021/01/09/puella-magi-madoka-magica/
Anteiku Anime Reviews
anteikuanimereviews.com
Apr 7, 2021 11:14 AM

Dec 2020
Bro it's written by Gen Urobuchi and isn't called Psycho-Pass, it's just a bunch of wannabe cynical BS.
Apr 7, 2021 11:51 AM
Mar 2021
CLADDAN said:
Bro it's written by Gen Urobuchi and isn't called Psycho-Pass, it's just a bunch of wannabe cynical BS.

I'm relatively new to anime in general. I know =0 about the industry and it's main figures
Apr 7, 2021 11:55 AM

Dec 2020
dyapnolitermperd said:
CLADDAN said:

I'm relatively new to anime in general. I know =0 about the industry and it's main figures

ah i see, sorry if my comment appeared too negative then.
Apr 7, 2021 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
CLADDAN said:
based but accurate answer lmao, even psycho pass isn't that good.
Apr 7, 2021 11:59 AM
Mar 2021
CLADDAN said:
dyapnolitermperd said:

ah i see, sorry if my comment appeared too negative then.

Nah, not at all, feel free to express any opinion no matter how offensive others might think it is, just make sure it's constructive enough and uses common sense at it's core. I'm used to trolling so you can't really offend me
Apr 7, 2021 10:04 PM
Apr 2021
THSWI ANINME IS DO UNRWALISTC O0V7T68FVGBHNJIMKO,LDCFVGBHDERFXSD I WISH I NEBER WATC IT KLEUJWENDCHNUEQW
Apr 7, 2021 10:56 PM

Oct 2019
CLADDAN said:

If that's all you think Madoka has to offer then I'm sorry you wasted time watching a 12 episode anime only to misunderstand it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2021 5:02 AM
Mar 2021
Casul_Noob1997 said:
CLADDAN said:

If that's all you think Madoka has to offer then I'm sorry you wasted time watching a 12 episode anime only to misunderstand it

Misunderstand? Well, I'd rather say not analyze it deep enough, don't you think?
What can I read that would provide me with a deeper insight on the show?
Apr 8, 2021 6:26 AM

Oct 2019
dyapnolitermperd said:
Casul_Noob1997 said:

Misunderstand? Well, I'd rather say not analyze it deep enough, don't you think?
What can I read that would provide me with a deeper insight on the show?

How about the first post for starters
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2021 2:36 PM
Mar 2021
BlueHawk02 said:
The art style is a hallmark of the studio named Shaft. Go watch the Monogatari series and you’ll see the same thing. It’s better than Madoka even.
My review doesn’t exactly address your observations, but it might provide you more insight into this show. http://anteikuanimereviews.com/2021/01/09/puella-magi-madoka-magica/

I don't really see you giving any interpretation to things you say about the anime. I want someone to explain symbolism, tropes, meanings behind scenes, make theories etc. I want someone to give their educated opinion about the series
dyapnolitermperdApr 8, 2021 2:43 PM
Apr 8, 2021 6:14 PM

Feb 2021
dyapnolitermperd said:
BlueHawk02 said:

I don't really see you giving any interpretation to things you say about the anime. I want someone to explain symbolism, tropes, meanings behind scenes, make theories etc. I want someone to give their educated opinion about the series

There's a lot one can focus on to answer that question. As with most great art, choosing how to interpret this work is often a matter of the individual's own perspective. There's plenty of material to draw from. Symbolism and tropes and meaning are but the surface of a very big iceberg, an iceberg that grows larger the greater the quality of the work.

However, I know that's not what you wanted to hear. So I'll give you a short version of my view of this show, which will go a little deeper into the abyss of academic criticism than my review.

This show is laden with paradoxes. Madoka's importance yet seeming unimportance is a good example. The fantastical versus the ordinary is another. The twisted version of the "magical girl" is another paradox (i.e., traditional magical girl tropes reshaped into harsh plot lines). But all of this, in my opinion, boils down to a very fundamental paradox: reality versus unreality.

Shaft does a very good job of handling this idea. Monogatari does it even better, hence my repeated comparisons to it here. In Madoka, this is portrayed most obviously to our eyes through the labyrinths, which appear in the middle of our "normal reality" and appear grotesquely surreal. But this paradox plays out in a less obvious but more remarkable way through the characters. You are onto this when you made your observations about Sayaka in particular. "Expectations" of reality payout heavily in her development and ultimate demise. But I think it's best portrayed in the relationship between Madoka and Homura.

Madoka truly doesn't seem important to the story. Her selection seems completely random, as you pointed out. Here's the power of the paradox: we EXPECT her to be the central character, the strongest mahou shojou. So we sit through bunch of episodes until we even see her become a magical girl, and even then she doesn't seem very powerful. Here's the paradox: Kyubey said at the beginning she would be the most powerful magical girl, and yet she obviously isn't.

How does she become the most powerful magical girl then? Through the repeated time jumps made by Homura. This is a little convenient in the story, but it serves the story well. But what of it? So Homura accidentally turns her into what we expected. Oh, but that's just it! Where Sayaka ultimately admitted defeat, the ability to shape your own reality, Homura succeeds. She turns Madoka into what Kyubey claimed she would become.

Now, think what you will about this idea. I think it's handled well enough in the story, and certainly is very evocative, as Homura's efforts are entirely based on the love of her friend. Madoka really isn't anybody. She's just a normal girl. It's her friend's love that ultimately transforms her into the central character we expect of her. In that sense it's more emotional than rational. But perhaps even that presents a paradox?

If I took more time I could make this thread of thought follow logically a little better, but I'm just writing this on the go. This is a deep pool of related threads of thought. Hopefully that gives you a new perspective though.

Ultimately artistic criticism comes down to what you see in a work. What symbolism do you see? What tropes do you see used, and how are they used? You made some interesting points already, more insightful points than many can see in art, particularly about realism. Keep digging, and do it as much or little as you want. It can be very rewarding.
Anteiku Anime Reviews
anteikuanimereviews.com
Apr 10, 2021 12:12 AM
Sep 2020
It's important to understand this anime from when it was released. It's a Maho Shoujo plot (Magic Girls, like Sailor Moon or Card captor Sakura) but taken from another perspective, showing how fucked up it actually would be.

This change of narrative, suddenly given at the 3rd episode, was the selling point which made this anime a modern classic.

Moreover, the entire plot is written using a lot of Freudian theories, condensed by the behaviour of the characters. Each character represent different stages between reason and desire, and that's the overall message within the story.

This is some smartass talk honestly, but it was the goal admittedly said by the author. What matters, after all, is what you thought about that.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.