Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 4, 2021 11:59 PM
Apr 2018
I've heard & seen a lot of negative comments on SAO, but decided to watched it instead in 2018 and i surprisingly like it. For me, i like how they bring some issues like power, politics, morals, mental health, etc and their relation with the advancement of technology. Some characters are also felt relatable to real world situation.

How about you guys, what do you like/love from SAO?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 5, 2021 12:02 AM
Jul 2018
i really like the story and premises, especially ggo. other then that well... not really much
Apr 5, 2021 12:03 AM
Jul 2018
Alicization exists so probably that.
Apr 5, 2021 12:04 AM

Mar 2021
Yeah , I guess Alicization was decent
Apr 5, 2021 12:04 AM

Sep 2020
well it is the stupid harem that ruined everyone's experience, I do like the politics and the advancement of technology aspects tho

[Violet X Amy]

[VioletteloiV X squished_lemon]

Apr 5, 2021 12:05 AM
Oct 2019
honestly, I did think SAO was a enjoyable concept during the alheim arc, other than that, can't really say anything else. Planning to give it a second shot though
Apr 5, 2021 12:13 AM

May 2018
"Why Do You Love Sword Art Online?"

I love it as an example how rabid fans can get aggressive against people who express their honest dislike of a show.
Apr 5, 2021 12:15 AM
Apr 2018
ArtoriaEvergarde said:
well it is the stupid harem that ruined everyone's experience, I do like the politics and the advancement of technology aspects tho

Why do you think it's a stupid harem? a cool guy liked by many girls is quite realistic. Although the anime did dirty by making all the girls looks like still liking Kirito despite him being in relationship with Asuna.
Beside, "everyone" is just you being hyperbolic.
Apr 5, 2021 12:15 AM

Jun 2020
Well I really liked the first season because I like cringe romance, the fights were decent, it had a good world, and I like the ship Kirito x Asuna
Apr 5, 2021 12:16 AM

Mar 2020
I don't love or hate it. I enjoyed what I have seen. I haven't watched the Underworld arc yet, not in a rush I will get there though.
Apr 5, 2021 12:19 AM
Apr 2018
alshu said:
"Why Do You Love Sword Art Online?"

I love it as an example how rabid fans can get aggressive against people who express their honest dislike of a show.

Do you think i'm being aggressive? You can see all the comments hating on SAO basically anywhere, and here i just want to know what other fans like about the show, because i know they have different reasons.
Sep 2018
I only seen 2 season. 1st season was ok. 2nd season was trash... Now... I can say that I will watch more to discover how more trashy it gets as people says, which might be the truth.
KizurkApr 5, 2021 12:25 AM
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation

Apr 2020
I like the first half of SAO I, first half of SAO II, and Alicization. I don't really hate SAO because I enjoyed these, especially Alicization.
-Kazuma_Apr 5, 2021 12:23 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2021 12:21 AM

Sep 2020
Weebsteria said:
ArtoriaEvergarde said:

Why do you think it's a stupid harem? a cool guy liked by many girls is quite realistic. Although the anime did dirty by making all the girls looks like still liking Kirito despite him being in relationship with Asuna.

bro look at the rating of the show, second part of s2 fucked up

[Violet X Amy]

[VioletteloiV X squished_lemon]

Apr 5, 2021 12:22 AM

Jan 2021
Season 1 was good. But it started going downhill in season 2. It was enjoyable until the MC pulled a whole harem. Dude pulled his own cousin.
Apr 5, 2021 12:24 AM
Dec 2019
It's not that we love SAO, we just think that it's too overhated. Sure it's generic but it's not the 0/10 piece of shit that everyone say it is. Also teenagers love harem power fantasy (me included).
Apr 5, 2021 12:25 AM
Apr 2018
ArtoriaEvergarde said:
Weebsteria said:

bro look at the rating of the show, second part of s2 fucked up

I can't say Calibur arc was interesting, but mother's rosario was great, so i dont why people hate it.
Apr 5, 2021 12:28 AM

Jun 2017
I really liked the first half of S1. One of the best things we've gotten from anime.
Apr 5, 2021 12:28 AM

Jul 2017
I think my favorite part of SAO (aside from it being my first anime) is definitely the themes in the later seasons in particular in determining what really makes someone human. I think it's a concept that is only gonna become more relevant as time goes on since obviously we are also advancing more and more technologically, and while I don't necessarily think people will look back at SAO as some groundbreaking series that predicted how that conversation would play out perfectly, I do think it's a bit ahead of its time in that regard.
Apr 5, 2021 12:30 AM
Apr 2018
xershey said:
Season 1 was good. But it started going downhill in season 2. It was enjoyable until the MC pulled a whole harem. Dude pulled his own cousin.

Did you even watched the show? It's not harem to begin with. Some of the girls like him bcs he helped them on their most critical situation and thats natural. The fact that he stays loyal to Asuna is what's important. Suguha did liked him, but no longer after they resolve their problems.
Apr 5, 2021 12:31 AM

Jan 2021
Weebsteria said:
xershey said:

Did you even watched the show? It's not harem to begin with. Some of the girls like him bcs he helped them on their most critical situation and thats natural. The fact that he stays loyal to Asuna is what's important. Suguha did liked him, but no longer after they resolve their problems.
I did. Yeah you have a point. But I still didn’t find it enjoyable after season 1. I will probably give a chance again. Since it’s been a while since I watched it.
Apr 5, 2021 12:33 AM

Aug 2019
i dont blindingly love it, i know its flawed as hell, but im nostalgic for it because it was one of my first ever anime. I appreciate the tech side of the show and alicization was a nice change. the harem elements, not so much.
Apr 5, 2021 12:37 AM

Apr 2017
I never wanted to like an anime as much as I wanted and tried to like Sword Art Online, unfortunately, I can't when all the villains are disgusting rapists and all the girls are damsels in distress that can only be sexually assaulted while waiting for Kirito to save them.

Sword Art Online? more like Sexual Assault Online.
cunnysseur
Apr 5, 2021 12:38 AM

Nov 2015
I like that it makes for an incredible source for an amazing abridged series.
Apr 5, 2021 12:38 AM
Apr 2018
I want to tell you guys that SAO haven't had a really good director since the 1st season. Beside they keep cutting important contents from the LN, they also love to bait people with the "harem" things.
Apr 5, 2021 12:42 AM
Jul 2018
It is the premise. People love the main idea and that's about it.
Apr 5, 2021 12:43 AM

May 2018
Weebsteria said:

Do you think i'm being aggressive?

I said "rabid fans", are you such?
If you are not please ignore my opinion since it's not targeted at you.

Personally I had encountered enough people calling my honest disliking "hate" and accusing me of purposely wanting to ruin their oh so precious experience...which is apparently everybody liking the same thing as they do.
Apr 5, 2021 12:45 AM
Apr 2018
Tasel said:
I never wanted to like an anime as much as I wanted and tried to like Sword Art Online, unfortunately, I can't when all the villains are disgusting rapists and all the girls are damsels in distress that can only be sexually assaulted while waiting for Kirito to save them.

Aren't rapist should be disgusting? More and more anime these days trying to normalize sexual harassment with the helps of "comedy". SAO here trying to tell you how technology can affect people's behaviour and facilitate them on doing rape/sexual assault/harassment, and also how terrifying it is to be the victim.
Apr 5, 2021 12:47 AM

Oct 2013
I don't exactly "love" it, I just dont think it's nearly as bad as people make it sound. I've seen plenty of things I'd consider much worse.
Fight scenes are pretty solid for the most part. I am a little tired of every girl being on Kirito's junk though.
Apr 5, 2021 12:48 AM

Jun 2017
S1 - Great premise, nice twist with Kayaba's identity which I didn't see coming, focuses on survival rather than tensionless adventure like many isekais. 2nd arc was just a follow through. It wasn't really necessary but it doesn't bother me.

S2 - Nice take on ptsd exposure therapy. Sets up the mystery well even though its resolution was anticlimactic. Mother's Rosario had nice drama going and I liked it unironically more than many famous tearjerker anime. Most of the "sad" anime feel dragged on for too long for my taste and I really liked the pacing for this arc.

S3 - My favorite arc of SAO. The highlight this time is the worldbuilding and the slow revelations of the dystopian society of underworld. I have written a detailed review for it so no point in typing the same thing here again.
Apr 5, 2021 12:50 AM
Apr 2018
alshu said:
Weebsteria said:

Do you think i'm being aggressive?

I said "rabid fans", are you such?
If you are not please ignore my opinion since it's not targeted at you.

Personally I had encountered enough people calling my honest disliking "hate" and accusing me of purposely wanting to ruin their oh so precious experience...which is apparently everybody liking the same thing as they do.

Ok, as long as you don't post your honest disliking on any (or every) post containg SAO, cz many haters do that.
Apr 5, 2021 12:50 AM

Jul 2020
Love Sword Art Online is a really strong statement, I don't love it, but I do like it more than most

The initial concept was really intriguing, and also Asuna exists
Apr 5, 2021 12:52 AM
Apr 2018
Chrome_Falcon said:
S1 - Great premise, nice twist with Kayaba's identity which I didn't see coming, focuses on survival rather than tensionless adventure like many isekais. 2nd arc was just a follow through. It wasn't really necessary but it doesn't bother me.

S2 - Nice take on ptsd exposure therapy. Sets up the mystery well even though its resolution was anticlimactic. Mother's Rosario had nice drama going and I liked it unironically more than many famous tearjerker anime. Most of the "sad" anime feel dragged on for too long for my taste and I really liked the pacing for this arc.

S3 - My favorite arc of SAO. The highlight this time is the worldbuilding and the slow revelations of the dystopian society of underworld. I have written a detailed review for it so no point in typing the same thing here again.

Thank you for short, yet informative explanation!
Apr 5, 2021 12:52 AM

Apr 2017
Weebsteria said:
Tasel said:

Aren't rapist should be disgusting? More and more anime these days trying to normalize sexual harassment with the helps of "comedy". SAO here trying to tell you how technology can affect people's behaviour and facilitate them on doing rape/sexual assault/harassment, and also how terrifying it is to be the victim.

Yeah, rapists are disgusting, that's obvious, I don't need SAO to remind me of that every season, why bother writing compelling villains when you can have all of them be a carbon copy of each other for an easily hateable villain for out protagonist to defeat and be a hero.

A series is as good as it's villains/antagonists and Sword Art Online ones are disgusting which make for a disgusting series.
cunnysseur
Apr 5, 2021 12:54 AM
Jun 2020
I really love Asuna, but Kirito is really swag, too.
Apr 5, 2021 12:57 AM

May 2018
Weebsteria said:

Ok, as long as you don't post your honest disliking on any (or every) post containg SAO,

Oh, so now you are telling me what to do?

Weebsteria said:
cz many haters do that.

Can you even tell the difference or you mark as such everyone who disagrees?
Apr 5, 2021 1:10 AM

Jan 2021
I like SAO. I really enjoyed watching it. But one thing that annoys me is that in all the series (except SAO Ordinary Scale iirc), there are always that scene which irritates me.
Apr 5, 2021 1:11 AM

Sep 2020
1.It's my 2nd anime

2.Wholesome(fillers)

3.Animation and sounds

4.interesting shits(Murder mystery and coffee soda)

ngl,when i was not kind of hate,i adore this one to bits lol
Apr 5, 2021 1:11 AM
Jun 2019
I don't love SAO, but I liked it because I'm a gamer and the idea was interesting, but poorly executed
Apr 5, 2021 1:36 AM
Dec 2015
the premise at the time was new and so "ground breaking kind of genre" but the executation, kirito and overall is all a let let down. i can only say that i really love the ordinal scale, mothers rosario, alization and lastly ggo alternative
Apr 5, 2021 2:46 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
The fact that the characters dies irl if they die inside of the game, thats the main selling point of SAO, the intensity.

Too bad the author/anime director/whoever responsible for the anime production had to move off SAO so fast like that.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Apr 5, 2021 2:51 AM

Mar 2016
I think it's pretty enjoyable. I like in particular how the first season was everything I didn't expect. I remember watching the first episode when it aired and dropping it immediately because I thought it would be something like Log Horizon. Turns out it wasn't and the show really emphasized other stuff I didn't think it would.

8/10 have rewatched again.

KyleRiley said:
I like that it makes for an incredible source for an amazing abridged series.

The abridged is really good. Probably the best abridged series ever tbh.
Apr 5, 2021 2:55 AM
Oct 2019
Yeah I love the series except forSword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
I won't watch that.
Apr 5, 2021 2:59 AM

Aug 2018
Weebsteria said:
ArtoriaEvergarde said:

Probably because the majority of the harem is just different levels of fetish bait. Of course, this isn't uncommon in anime at all, but that's the main issue with the SAO harem that most people seem to take. It also comes off as unrealistic, but this also isn't uncommon in anime to be honest. I have many complaints about SAO, but I have to say that the issues with the harem aren't at all uncommon, and in my opinion not that bad. I suppose you could argue that there was somewhat lazy writing surrounding the harem and the way that the characters are developed into it, but that feeds into problems I have with the show overall.
Apr 5, 2021 3:03 AM

Oct 2020
Who said I love SAO? Wtf

I dont even watched it
Read light novels!
2023 Update: Do NOT read light novels. Regular novels are better. Glory to Haruki Murakami!!!
Apr 5, 2021 3:09 AM
Sep 2020
I personally don't hate it or love it, I think the story and the world building was good, but at times I could not bare the characters, but thats what I think, ended up turning this topic
in to what it is. but I enjoyed it none the less.
Apr 5, 2021 3:11 AM

Dec 2016
The Aincrad arc and the Alheim arc are things that shouldn't exist at all. I really hated both of em for obvious reasons. Past GGO arc and beyond is literally another world. For me the series goes from a 2 to a solid 6/7. People hatin' sao and saying it's shit should watch the lastest arcs.

The fake is of far greater value. In its deliberate attempt to be real, it's more real than the real thing.

If u hate monogatari, u are just dumb
Apr 5, 2021 3:16 AM
May 2019
The Op is asking the fans why they love the show and all the haters are commenting why they hate the show Yikes
Apr 5, 2021 3:16 AM

Feb 2020
It's fun to watch without taking anything seriously... Ggo and alicilization season 1 was my favourite 😭
Apr 5, 2021 3:21 AM

Jan 2020
I only watched the S1 but there are some things I liked

-It has one of my favorite premises in anime
-Kirito's character design is genuinely cool and iconic as shit
-The OPs and EDs are bangers, Especially the first OP
-Sets up such a good example on how to do a first episode

Tbh, I didn't like SAO much but I'm really glad it exists since looking at it's reputation and how far a harem fantasy isekai has gone and the influx of other Isekais that came after it is kinda more interesting than the actual show. I kinda respect it more than I like it.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Yesterday

77 by iiKonata »»
2 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece part 2 (the sequel)

Cyborgium - Apr 25

7 by LenRea »»
4 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - Apr 26

19 by LenRea »»
6 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - Apr 25

10 by Fancyjasper »»
8 minutes ago

» Why Are Anime Males sooo.... Scared? ( 1 2 )

Tay098 - Feb 12, 2020

60 by LenRea »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.