Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 21, 2021 8:08 AM

Jul 2015
Went to go watch it since Classic Orphen was amazing then i saw it was 5.8 rating.

So uh did they fuck up the remake and if so how did they fuck it up i was so excited because the manga and original anime were beyond amazing ....so i'm pretty confused how they messed up enough to get mal users to rate it 5.8!
Jan 21, 2021 8:36 AM

Mar 2013
I'd like to know that as well, I am currently trying to figure out which Version to watch and it seems a lot of People dislike and complain about this one?
"You think your power has limits, I say it's limitless."

Jan 27, 2021 10:52 AM
Jul 2016
Not Really just The script could've been better elaborated so that the story would’ve had a better flow - maintaining the interest and suspense and that wasn't suited better sadly but it's a fine introduction for an anime adaptation that adapts the LNs since the classic one was original anime so don't make the lower rate fool you.
todd2580Jan 27, 2021 11:18 AM
Jan 27, 2021 2:13 PM

Aug 2017
the rating for this anime is actually not really accurate. you should try out couple episodes and see for yourself if you will like it or not. as for me it was honestly fine like i don’t really get why people hated it. generally on mal it’s: the less popular a show is the harsher it’s being rated. that is probably why it’s so low rating wise. tl;dr try out 1 or 2 episodes and make your own opinion instead of blindly trusting mal ratings
May 21, 2023 3:07 PM

Jan 2021
RyuRabbit said:
Went to go watch it since Classic Orphen was amazing then i saw it was 5.8 rating.

So uh did they fuck up the remake and if so how did they fuck it up i was so excited because the manga and original anime were beyond amazing ....so i'm pretty confused how they messed up enough to get mal users to rate it 5.8!
I come from the future to answer your question. Simple answer: low budget. Cheers.

Elaborated answer: due to the low budget, this series cannot run for too long, so it means it has fewer episodes than it should have and lower budget also means crappier visuals, direction and audio. For instance, let's take the first 3-4 episodes, which covers the "Heed My Call, Beast!" book and part of the pre-Orphen arc, known in the west as "The Youthful Journey": Episodes 1-3 tried to adapt the first book while episode 4 was almost purely flashbacks of Orphen reminiscing his old days as seen in Youthful. First issue: rushing. The first book runs for 181 pages and it got 3 episodes. Konosuba, also made by Deen, also a fantasy light novel, had its first book (170 pages long) adapted for 6 episodes, this way nothing is rushed, you have time for the characters to sink in, not in Orphen. Everything happens so fast you need to watch it a second time to digest all the important plot elements thrown at you like a machinegun.

So basically the first arc had almost 2 chapters entirely cut, the one with Black Tiger. Yes, Heartia is the Black Tiger in the original series and in the original first light novel too, but he's not a recurring character like in the J.C Staff anime:

Other than that, the beginning is different, it's from the Reckless series. Remember the dart thrower cop? She's a character from the Reckless arc (set few months before the main adventure) and was inserted as an easter egg, replacing the first chapter from the novel, but they both play a similar role, introducing Orphen 5 years after the Azalie incident in a somewhat funny way:

You may be familiar already with Orphen, Volkan Dortin and Coggie/Constance Magee, but not the other two: they're Bonnie Magee and Keith Royal, both recurring characters in the Reckless arc.

So, other than that, the first 3 episodes are pretty much "faithful" to the source material, but rushing the shit out of it. With a tight budget, would be better not to use stuff from the Youthful arc and instead use all the 4 episodes to better portray the first book, it would still be rushed but would turned out better anyway. Characters like Comicron and Heartia weren't meant to be familiar to us, but to Orphen only, so they're shallow in the first novel. Heartia returns later anyway. So that's it, low budget lead to few episodes, which lead to crappy script, rushed pacing and mediocre animation/music. This series deserved better, really, the books are very well written but who knows what went thru Kadokawa's head. I hope this answered your question. Cheers.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2020

77 by fudish123 »»
Aug 2, 2023 9:41 AM

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2020

44 by ZER0PT »»
Jun 12, 2023 6:19 AM

» Why bad rate? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 8, 2020

94 by Scootboi »»
Jan 19, 2023 8:00 PM

» foster sister? mc going for revenge? let me guess

sondongpyo - Feb 27, 2022

1 by Diapolo10 »»
Feb 27, 2022 4:18 PM

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2020

19 by Unkrowned »»
Jun 14, 2021 8:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.