Forum Settings
Forums

Option to see English titles by default and to add a whole series to a list

New
Sep 4, 2020 8:43 PM
Sep 2020
I would really like it if there was an option I could select in the account or list settings so that it would show the English title of the anime by default instead of the Japanese title. For the vast majority of titles I've seen, I know the English name for the show so it would really help for me so I can quickly add anime to my lists.

It would also be awesome if I could add a whole series to the lists instead of having to add each season individually. I think having the seasons separated is a cool idea so you can rate each season by itself and compare the ratings to other seasons, but I think it would be better and more streamlined for the lists if they were separated by put into series instead of individual seasons of one title. Maybe you could go to a series page and then separate and rate by season from there.
Sep 4, 2020 8:45 PM

Dec 2009
The whole series list I feel like probably already got asked and refused, and if I remember right the english title option is something they're working on.
Sep 4, 2020 8:48 PM
Sep 2020
Did they give a specific reason why they refused the whole series thing? Maybe it would be too painstaking to code at this point or something?
Sep 4, 2020 8:57 PM

Dec 2009
I'm only assuming, 'no idea, sorry. You'll have to search or wait for a reply from a mod.
... Although, I don't know if they would mind or if you're allowed to report your comment to "directly" ask since the mods don't seem very active on answering our suggestions.
Sep 5, 2020 8:45 AM
Aug 2011
It would in fact be pretty complex to code the idea of a "series" into the database. Sure you can give cases where it would be straightforward, but in other cases it would be problematic. For example, there are reboots or alternative versions of things, should those be considered part of a series or not?

It's one of those ideas which are "nice" and would make things more convenient, however the devil is in the details of how exactly you implement that without losing information we already have in there.

For example, let me give a hypothetical. Say there was combined entry for Symphogear, a series I quite like. Well, each Symphogear season has a different name, different songs, different types: OVA, TV etc, different time it aired etc. These are details we want to keep. So we could make an entry "Symphogear: The Series", but you'd want to be able to click on a + button and it reveal all the parts of Symphogear, their titles, type, episode count etc, and it would show your status for each sub-section of Symphogear: score, current episode, and status such as watching, completed, dropped, on hold etc. However, there's a problem here: which list does this go in? If you haven't completed every single bit of Symphogear including rare BD specials you might not even be able to find, should the whole lot be stuck in your "watching" list?
cipheronSep 5, 2020 9:03 AM
Sep 5, 2020 8:52 AM
Sep 2020
I don't really think reboots or alternative versions would be an issue, every other platform I can think of counts them as separate series.
Sep 5, 2020 9:05 AM
Aug 2011
What other platforms would you cite as a working example? we can look how they handle the issues

anilist for example break up Symphogear exactly the same as myanimelist, 9 separate entries for the different bits:

https://anilist.co/search/anime?search=symphogear

The reason for this is the concept "putting everything related under one entry" is easier said than done when the system needs to be consistent for every possible type of series.

Not every is even going to agree on what goes with what else, or what bits need to be watched for completion and what don't. Like, for an example have your not Avatar until you saw Legend of Korra? Just putting those two things under one entry would piss a lot of people off, but be considered normal for some other people. Or imagine telling Beserk watchers they hadn't completed the series unless they also watch the new Beserk.

I think a workable solution might be just to give people the ability to group series in their lists, bundling a number of entries, then give a score both to the bundle and to the parts separately, and you get to choose which section the bundle goes in, with a + button that reveals the parts in the bundle. This would give the single-entry ability without the headache of trying to work out what goes with what to everyone's satisfaction.
cipheronSep 5, 2020 9:19 AM
Sep 23, 2020 5:41 PM

Dec 2019
you guys can do that using some userscript...
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

More topics from this board

» Correction Slice of life definition

aule10 - Today

1 by traed »»
31 minutes ago

» Add Volume tab for Manga, like the Episode tab for Anime

Readerio - Yesterday

0 by Readerio »»
Yesterday, 2:35 PM

» re-watched titles

macmetric - May 10

1 by hacker09 »»
May 10, 8:15 PM

» Are there any plans to revamp mal on mobile?

Akuya - May 10

2 by Alexioos95 »»
May 10, 9:19 AM

» An option to hide Explicit Genres from anime/manga list

animegamer245 - May 8

3 by traed »»
May 9, 12:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.