Forum Settings
Forums

English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

New
Aug 31, 2020 8:38 PM

Jan 2010
Hello fellow English dub lovers, I know I have done some topic relating to English dub. Last time I was here, I talked about dub hater hypocrisy. I wanted to take a different approach to evaluating dub, but this time we're going to look at Japanese dub of American cartoon. If you're a fan of not only English dub, but also watching classic cartoons like Disney/Mickey Mouse, Looney Tunes/Bugs Bunny, and Tom & Jerry. You're in for a treat, thanks to Youtube, I'm able to find couple of Japanese dubbed of several American cartoons like:

This clip of Tom & Jerry dubbed in Japanese:

So what do you think of Nibble's Japanese voice?

Oh and I found several Looney Tunes Japanese dub:

Well at least Bugs and Elmer sound right in the Japanese dub. But Elmer Fudd in the next video, I'm not sure what to make of this one:

I think many of you may have watched this Looney Tune short as a kid (I know I did). Bugs Bunny's voice fit in this one, and as I mentioned, I'm not quite impressed with Elmer's Japanese voice.

Now how many of you watched The Looney Tunes Show from 2011-2014? WB managed to have Japanese dub compilation on YT, and it's not region block so I can now use them for this specific thread:

What did I think of these Japanese voices for each of the characters? Well, I'm happy Bugs, Daffy, Lola, and other characters have the right voice for their Japanese dub. Whoever did the Japanese dub did a good job finding the right seiyu for them. Glad to see the Japanese dub didn't screw up the characters voices.

So what do you think of these Japanese dubs of your favorite classic American cartoons?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 25, 2021 11:41 AM

Jan 2010
OK, how many of you are fans of DC Comic superheroes, particularly DCAU (ie: Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Justice League Unlimited)? Yep, Japanese dubs exist for these and you're going to be amazed by their Japanese voice.

This is a clip from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (please ignore the English subtitle in the video):

Yep, Bruce Wayne/Batman is voiced by Tessho Genda, Joker is voiced by the late Takeshi Aono.

I also have another clip of Batman: TAS being dubbed in Japanese, but this one focused on Harley Quinn:

I don't know who voiced Harley Quinn in the Japanese dub, but whoever she is, she did one hell of a good job fitting the character and giving her the right voice for the character.

Now shifting away from Batman: TAS, we're going to watch a clip from Superman: TAS in Japanese dub:

And don't ask me who voiced Superman and Darkseid for the Japanese dub. But it sounds good. Also, don't ask me who voiced Kara/Supergirl in the dub.

Here's another Superman vs Darkseid in Japanese, but from Justice League:

So what do you think of the Japanese dub from several DCAU shows? Did they sound like what you expected to sound like? Were you disappointed?

Last but not least, here's Young Justice in Japanese dub:

Again, I don't know who voiced who in the Japanese dub.

So I hope some of you who watch your anime in English give these Japanese dub of our American stuff a fair chance.
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

Jan 2010
FYI, I'm watching Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix in Japanese voice over the original English voice. Blue Eye Samurai may not be a Japanese animation, but still given the Japanese setting and the characters, it would make sense to watch this show in Japanese over English for that reason.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM

» Notable 2022 Anime that didn't get Dubbed

Aan120898 - Dec 29, 2022

1 by MeanMrMusician »»
Dec 30, 2022 1:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.