Forums

MAL Rewrite: 3,000 Milestone + Writers, Editors Needed

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 26, 2020 8:24 PM
Aug 2020
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Trinitrash said:
Hopefully, this isn't a really dumb question but can you write a synopsis for any anime/manga on the application. Just wanna make sure I'm doing it right.

Yep. You can write even those with MAL Rewrite synopses already. But if you do that, make sure not to plagiarize content. Moreover, as much as possible, don't write for a second season or a special, because you'll also need as much content as you can.

Good luck!

Thanks!
Aug 27, 2020 2:53 AM
Oct 2018
I think doing this is serously stupid when there are so many animes and mangas without character description and quite a few which are lacking a lot of info.
Aug 27, 2020 8:05 PM
Jul 2016
Sweet! I've been sitting on doing this for a while now and decided to just go for it. It's a chance for me to improve my writing while doing more anime-related things at the same time. Win-win.

Good luck to all my fellow applicants!

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbothered
Aug 28, 2020 4:22 AM
serial obsessive

Jan 2012
CherShayLaGhost said:
Sweet! I've been sitting on doing this for a while now and decided to just go for it. It's a chance for me to improve my writing while doing more anime-related things at the same time. Win-win.

Good luck to all my fellow applicants!

Good luck to you!
Forever a reader, rarely a watcher. Also listens to music.

⸢There are three ways to survive in a ruined world.⸥
⸢I’ve forgotten a few by now. However, one thing’s for certain.⸥
⸢And that is, the you reading these words will get to survive.⸥
⸢This story is for just that one reader.⸥
Aug 28, 2020 5:17 AM
Jun 2020
How long will I get a reply.
Aug 28, 2020 8:41 AM
Manga Moderator
Flying Stingray

Feb 2015
AnimeWeeb749 said:
How long will I get a reply.

Expect a reply within a day or two.
Aug 28, 2020 8:18 PM

Apr 2020
Just joined as a new editor, feeling pretty great
it's over | we're so back | don't take this too seriously

Aug 29, 2020 9:37 AM

Jun 2016
Genoard said:
If only you were putting part of this effort towards adding missing characters.

I concur.
"The coexistence of diverse political values is the essence of democracy."

Aug 29, 2020 10:34 AM
Mar 2017
join the party fellas
Sep 2, 2020 4:21 AM
Oct 2011
This could either turn out to be a really good idea or a really bad one. Good if someone (or a small group) is overseeing all the rewrites to ensure no personal bias seeps in and bad if there's no oversight and users are allowed to rewrite based on their beliefs. I'm basing this on how a majority of the current reviews are opinion pieces riddled with low tier memes, social commentary and buzzwords. God help us if this crop of users is allowed to mess around with the synopses.
Sep 2, 2020 6:45 AM
Jul 2018
yuri999 said:
This could either turn out to be a really good idea or a really bad one. Good if someone (or a small group) is overseeing all the rewrites to ensure no personal bias seeps in and bad if there's no oversight and users are allowed to rewrite based on their beliefs. I'm basing this on how a majority of the current reviews are opinion pieces riddled with low tier memes, social commentary and buzzwords. God help us if this crop of users is allowed to mess around with the synopses.

We put our greatest efforts into fact-checking each synopsis that is written by its members to ensure that biases don't seep into our rewrites. Our rewrite process stays true to this—by having countless people oversee and fix errors in synopses during the editing process—then having a small group of people known as "coordinators" giving the final go before they are given to the database staff to be uploaded. Even then, staff will occasionally notice mistakes that may go overlooked and fix them as well.

To put simply, we try out best for synopsis to not only be engaging, but to be both high in quality and factually accurate. Hope this answers your concern.
removed-userSep 3, 2020 4:56 PM
Sep 2, 2020 11:05 AM
Manga Moderator
Flying Stingray

Feb 2015
_ayashi said:
What is the basic difference from editing to a writer? What can an editor do that a writer cannot? Will I be required to write a certain number of synopses per month or will I write only when I feel like it?

Pretty much, every synopsis goes through a certain process. It is written, then edited sequentially by two different editors. Editors are allowed to write and edit, but writers can only write.

There is an initial quota when you join the club. For writers, one synopsis within the first month, for editors, two edits within the first month. After that, we have no more quotas or requirements. Also, that one month time limit on the initial quota is flexible, and we can work around your circumstances if you have any.
Sep 2, 2020 1:27 PM

Aug 2018
yuri999 said:

Opinions do find their way into some synopses. But detecting bias is not as hard as you think and most competent editors remove opinion in the early stages of the synopsis process.
Sep 3, 2020 4:33 PM
Oct 2011
Csriyuu said:

We put our greatest efforts into fact-check each synopsis that is written by its members to ensure that biases don't seep into our rewrites. Our rewrite process stays true to this—by having countless people oversee and fix errors in synopses during the editing process—then having a small group of people known as "coordinators" giving the final go before they are given to the database staff to be uploaded. Even then, staff will occasionally notice mistakes that may go overlooked and fix them as well.

To put simply, we try out best for synopsis to not only be engaging, but to be both high in quality and factually accurate. Hope this answers your concern.

Uchuuu said:

Opinions do find their way into some synopses. But detecting bias is not as hard as you think and most competent editors remove opinion in the early stages of the synopsis process.

Thanks, you two. This really does make me feel that the true spirit and nature of the anime/manga will be preserved in the synopses.

Mythologically said:

I know you just wanted a place to complain about reviews you don’t like, but I really don’t see how Rewrite could “turn out to be a bad idea” when it has existed for 5 years now (not to mention its previous iterations) and the vast majority of relevant shows have Rewrite synopses.

Nope, you are way, way off the mark. Try again or rather please don't. Given the quality of "reviews" or rather the opinion posts masquerading as reviews and the influx of users in recent times, I think it's a pretty valid concern. Just because something has existed for (X) number of years doesn't meant it'll stay the same.

yuri999Sep 3, 2020 4:59 PM
Sep 4, 2020 2:14 AM
Sep 2020
I'm interested :D
Sep 4, 2020 5:16 PM
Apr 2017
Are you looking for descriptive writers who can embellish summaries? As a writer, should I possess a repertoire of vocabulary?
Sep 4, 2020 5:35 PM
Manga Moderator
Flying Stingray

Feb 2015
AniJan said:
Are you looking for descriptive writers who can embellish summaries? As a writer, should I possess a repertoire of vocabulary?

We aim to create completely original content for our synopses, making them accessible for all who visit the website, including ESL.
Sep 5, 2020 2:03 PM
Oct 2011
Mythologically said:

A lot more than half of those 3000 synopses have been written in the last 2 years or so. I don’t think anything has changed in the quality of reviews in these two years. I’ve been writing my garbage reviews for longer than I’ve been in Rewrite, so I feel like I can attest to that. Once again, you’re just complaining about a theoretical problem that clearly doesn’t exist just because some reviews upset you. Also, side note, reviews are meant to be subjective, especially when not written by professionals.

That's a great number to see and I commend the quality control team who managed them. However, it's evident that you have tunnel vision because I'm calling out people like you which is why you replied the way you did. Since you're part of the problem, I can see why to you it looks like a "theoretical problem that clearly doesn’t exist" so I'd like you to see the other side instead. And no, please read the Review Guidelines again because you've fundamentally misunderstood how they work. As stated over there, they are meant to be as objective as possible and not be a commentary among other things.

yuri999Sep 5, 2020 2:06 PM
Sep 5, 2020 9:19 PM

Dec 2017
Reviews and Rewrite synopses are fundamentally different.
Reviews may have guidelines but at the end of the day, they're merely a single person's opinion on a show no matter how "objective" one tries to make them look.
Synopses written in MAL Rewrite, as mentioned by the other members of Rewrite earlier, are a team effort. There's no space for opinions after a synopsis undergoes 3 edit phases by 2 editors and 1 coordinator (our Rewrite overlords).

@yuri999 @Mythologically This discussion has stopped being about Rewrite and devolved into an argument regarding the state of MyAnimeList's review scene. Let's not continue this here as it only makes Rewrite look bad due to the misunderstandings and miscommunication between the two of you.
neilSep 5, 2020 9:24 PM
Sep 7, 2020 7:23 PM

Feb 2016
What a waste of time and resources, you guys still write absolutely terrible summaries of the animes and spoil even than some reviewers can. Oh and you put your terrible [mal rewrite] tag everywhere as if its some righteous deed or something amazing you have done, when in reality its fucking laughable the amount of effort people put into this
:clown:
Sep 8, 2020 10:49 PM
May 2020
hi, can I still apply to be a writer? thank you:>
Sep 8, 2020 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
Takashi_Haruno72 said:
hi, can I still apply to be a writer? thank you:>

Applications are always open and welcomed.
Sep 10, 2020 6:57 AM

Jul 2020
Just applied yesterday. I hope I could get a reply as soon as possible :>
no
Sep 10, 2020 8:01 AM
Sep 2018
Low key sure a lot of people are gonna participate. Nice
Sep 13, 2020 4:17 AM
May 2020
hi I just wanna ask, if you aren't accepted can you still reapply? thank you
Sep 13, 2020 8:39 AM
Manga Moderator
Flying Stingray

Feb 2015
Takashi_Haruno72 said:
hi I just wanna ask, if you aren't accepted can you still reapply? thank you

If you are denied, you can reapply after 1 month. If you are told to reapply, then you can reapply asap.
Sep 16, 2020 5:08 PM
Nov 2015
Oh boy, this seems perfect for me. I love editing stuff so I'm definitely gonna sign up for it after I'm done sleeping!
Sep 16, 2020 10:54 PM
Mar 2017
SaranethPrime said:
Oh boy, this seems perfect for me. I love editing stuff so I'm definitely gonna sign up for it after I'm done sleeping!

Good luck to you!
Sep 17, 2020 5:48 PM
Nov 2015
Thank you!
Sep 18, 2020 4:41 PM
Mar 2013
Do we get paid is the real question? xd
Sep 19, 2020 7:06 PM

Aug 2018
1idragon said:
Do we get paid is the real question? xd

You get paid in my love /s

You get a profile badge AND get paid in my love...
Sep 21, 2020 9:25 AM

Jun 2019
@RebelPanda It looks like a perfect job for you.
Sep 21, 2020 9:31 AM

Oct 2014
Shaura said:
@RebelPanda It looks like a perfect job for you.
Looks like a perfect job for sweatshop workers. Unpaid labor isn’t really my thing. Brb gotta go write some bangers.
Sep 24, 2020 3:23 PM
Jun 2017
I don't think I've seen enough Anime/Manga to be able to do this. I'm sorry.
Sep 25, 2020 7:45 PM
Jul 2020
Do we get told if we are rejected or are we just... ghosted .-.
Sep 25, 2020 7:47 PM
Manga Moderator
Flying Stingray

Feb 2015
Arneus said:
Do we get told if we are rejected or are we just... ghosted .-.

You'll be notified of the result in any case.
Sep 26, 2020 11:34 PM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
Good luck to anyone that joins! Unfortunately my spelling and writing skins are not great ha
Oct 1, 2020 5:26 AM
Aug 2020
I can write reviews.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

223 by Kenrin »»
11 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.