Forum Settings
Forums

(REVISED) LIST OF ANIME WITH ACTUAL ROMANCE (Last Updated November 2023) + Alphabetical Spreadsheet

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 9, 2022 2:56 PM

Jul 2020
I've seen your list and the rejected list, and I didn't see this entry, so maybe I'll give it a try.

edit: added another entry & a P.S.
edit2: added kiss images/GIF for Kannazuki no Miko.
edit3: erased P.S., added extra tag fix recommendations
edit4: added another entry, added more detail to all entries.

extra tag fix recommendations:
Spice and Wolf: Age-Gap (female)
Kaze no Stigma: incest (Ayano and Kazuma are second cousins)
BurningCarnationJul 9, 2022 6:52 PM
Jul 16, 2022 12:59 PM

Sep 2021
Anime Name
Xiao Lu He Xiao Lan (Beryl and Sapphire)

MAL Link
https://myanimelist.net/anime/38250/Xiao_Lu_He_Xiao_Lan

How far does the romance go?
Complicated. In some universes, they are lovers. In some it's unrequited. In some they are best buddies. Sometimes frenemies. They probably confess to each other a dozen times over the span of the work. But we don't actually see much of life after confession. It's more about the build-up.

Do the protagonists kiss?
Once, but it's non-consensual (forced)

Any other relevant information
Boy's Love
donghua
You have the same two characters in a plethora of universes. The universe that gets the most attention is the "robot arc", where Xiao Lan pines for Xiao Lu until
Jul 16, 2022 2:26 PM

Sep 2008
See what I can contribute for this:

More I could possibly come up with, but so little time to sort out my thoughts.
Jul 16, 2022 3:32 PM

Jul 2017
BurningCarnation said:
I've seen your list and the rejected list, and I didn't see this entry, so maybe I'll give it a try.

edit: added another entry & a P.S.
edit2: added kiss images/GIF for Kannazuki no Miko.
edit3: erased P.S., added extra tag fix recommendations
edit4: added another entry, added more detail to all entries.

extra tag fix recommendations:
Spice and Wolf: Age-Gap (female)
Kaze no Stigma: incest (Ayano and Kazuma are second cousins)

oh wow, thanks for all the detail put in (and also including some tags lol)

Mascimus said:
Your "Extra Information" for Aharen-san wa Hakarenai is exactly what I thought! I thought it would lead to nothing, like at least first season of Komi. So I was pleasently surprised that there was real, honest romance in it. Very nice.

Yeah I was surprised too with that. Even from what I read in the manga and also the authors other works I was no where near expecting the amount it had at the end.

Khashishi said:
Anime Name
Xiao Lu He Xiao Lan (Beryl and Sapphire)

MAL Link
https://myanimelist.net/anime/38250/Xiao_Lu_He_Xiao_Lan

Complicated. In some universes, they are lovers. In some it's unrequited. In some they are best buddies. Sometimes frenemies. They probably confess to each other a dozen times over the span of the work. But we don't actually see much of life after confession. It's more about the build-up.

Once, but it's non-consensual (forced)

Boy's Love
donghua
You have the same two characters in a plethora of universes. The universe that gets the most attention is the "robot arc", where Xiao Lan pines for Xiao Lu until

thanks for the unique one m8

ggultra2764 said:
See what I can contribute for this:

More I could possibly come up with, but so little time to sort out my thoughts.

actually surprised 5cm/s wasn't included oh damn. the makoto shinkai romance that preludes makoto shinkai romances
Jul 16, 2022 4:12 PM

Nov 2015
May I suggest Cardcaptor Sakura?

It may be an anime about a magic girl and stuff but the main story for the whole second half and the second movie is the relationship between Sakura and Syaoran. It's honestly a romance before anything else for many episodes.
Jul 17, 2022 7:00 AM

Jul 2020
Just wanted to point out a few overlaps/display errors(?) within your list. Ignore them if you separated the entries under your own discretion.

'Romance Anime List' section:
- Two entries for Akikan!
- Overlapping 'Love Triangle' tags for Kiznaiver
- Not sure if you put this in as a meme entry or copy&pasted someone else's writing, but you have Gamers! as 'Misunderstandings the Anime'
- Library Wars and Toshokan Sensou are the same show

'Explanations' section:
- Romance Content - Low color box extends to two columns

extra tag recommendations:
Rurouni Kenshin: Age-Gap (Male)
Tokyo Ravens: incest? (Male & Female lead are distant relatives w/ same family name), Tsundere (female)

Also, I noticed you have the movie version of Escaflowne, but not the TV version. Was this for a specific reason? If not, would you mind if I added it?
Jul 17, 2022 7:28 AM

Jul 2017
@BurningCarnation

- Two entries for Akikan!
- Library Wars and Toshokan Sensou are the same show

ah fuk I knew ctrl + F would screw me over, I knew akikan should have been there already

- Not sure if you put this in as a meme entry or copy&pasted someone else's writing, but you have Gamers! as 'Misunderstandings the Anime'

This was originally done by changelog so I figured why not keep it (he also had yamada-kun and the 7 bitches but someone requested to change that_

Tokyo Ravens: incest? (Male & Female lead are distant relatives w/ same family name), Tsundere (female)

I don't recall there being any real incest vibes with them, so it may be a bit of a stretch. But it's been awhile since I've seen it so maybe I'm misremembering, if you think it really should be there it wouldn't hurt to add it I guess

Also, I noticed you have the movie version of Escaflowne, but not the TV version. Was this for a specific reason? If not, would you mind if I added it?

That's because I've only seen the movie version, not the TV version. If there's a significant difference between the 2 then sure, it can be added too

KyleRiley said:
May I suggest Cardcaptor Sakura?

It may be an anime about a magic girl and stuff but the main story for the whole second half and the second movie is the relationship between Sakura and Syaoran. It's honestly a romance before anything else for many episodes.

It can, but I haven't seen it yet so I can't really say much about it (if you give some more details I can add it in)
Jul 17, 2022 7:40 AM

Jul 2020
@Short_Circut

Gamers!

Ah, well in that case, I guess just leaving it alone is better. Besides, Yamada-kun and the 7 Bitches is also funny, and everyone knows what it'd mean anyway lol

Tokyo Ravens

That's why I was hesitant: they technically are blood-related, but their relationship plays out more like childhood friends--and that tag is there already, so I guess leaving the incest tag out is better.

Escaflowne

There's quite a few changes between the movie and TV version, but the most notable ones are:

- No love triangle (square? pentagon? more?) between two male leads & female lead(s), and thus a lack of train-wreck-worthy drama & different dynamics
- Different (or lack of distinct) relationships between villains and male leads

Honestly, Escaflowne would be one of those anime that warrants two different entries because they're so different. I'll get to writing one up.
Jul 17, 2022 2:13 PM

Nov 2015
Short_Circut said:
Cardcaptor Sakura

Sorry, I'm going to be including spoilers.

Anime Name
Cardcaptor Sakura

MAL Link (Please do not hyperlink this)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/232/Cardcaptor_Sakura?q=cardcaptor&cat=anime

Considering how young the main cast it it doesn't go that far outside heavy blushing, pinning, and eventual confessions of love. It's a fairly slow burn but Syaoran develops a crush on Sakura somewhat early on (episode 27 or so), but it takes Sakura a while to fully understand her feelings for Syaoran.

As far as I can recall... No? They are only like 11.

The anime has a heavy focus on romance and growing love. Syaoran when first introduced is a complete jerk toward Sakura, but he eventually develops such strong feelings for Sakura that he helps and supports her without question. Sakura has a crush on her brother's friend, Yukito, in the start but that eventually goes away when she realizes what she's feeling isn't romantic (this actually happens with Syaoran toward Yukito as well). Eventually Sakura grows to fall in love with Syaoran and they even exchange handmade stuffed bears as a sign of their feelings.

The second movie sees Sakura eagerly and desperately confessing her deep, unconditional love to Syaoran, believing he has forgotten about his feelings toward her (magic reasons). She ends up in tears when he replies that he feels the same way.

Tsubasa is a "spin off" anime that follows and mentions alternate versions/clones of Sakura and Syaoran who are also in love. It's somewhat implied through the CLAMPverse that Sakura and Syaoran are soulmates. Their Tsubasa versions are also mentioned in xxxHolic.

There are number of other romances in the anime, some subtle, some not so much. Sakura's brother and his best friend Yukito, for example, are heavily implied to be romantically involved. So... Implied BL?

Tomoyo, Sakura's best friend/second cousin, is in love with Sakura (this is especially apparent in the manga) but she loves Sakura so much that she supports her in whatever relationship she pursues. This eventually leads to her becoming Syaoran's "wing woman" and emotional support. She supports them 100% and even pushes Sakura to understand her own feelings for Syaoran.

Tomoyo's mother was in love with Sakura's mother.

There's a couple of Age-gap romances. One is even between a student and teacher. It's uh. Yeah. It's a bit creepy.

Love is a heavy theme throughout the anime. Not only romantic love, but all forms. Familial love, love between friends, unconditional love etc etc. But romance is, never the less, one of the main focuses of the series.
Jul 18, 2022 5:57 AM

Jul 2020
edit: added additional fixes unrelated to entry submission

Escaflowne movie
Extra info: This is an alternate version of the original TVA series with vastly different character dynamics and background settings.

typo fixes / additional tags / etc.
- Mashiro-iro Symphony is spelled incorrectly. (Mashiro-ior)
- Seireitsukai no Blade Dance: Tsundere (female)
BurningCarnationJul 18, 2022 7:42 AM
Jul 19, 2022 6:34 PM

Sep 2008
Continuing on with this...

All I've got time for for now. Will offer up some more if I can think of any.
Jul 19, 2022 7:08 PM
Jul 2019
yes, im gonna be needing some romance anime after a while
Jul 22, 2022 6:33 PM

Sep 2008

Oct 2, 2022 12:26 AM

Feb 2022
You should make interest stack of it.

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
||Profile||----------------||Anime||----------------||Manga||
Oct 2, 2022 12:37 AM

Apr 2012
GreyratAnimelist said:

Most of these shows have a romantic tag, while the rules forbid stacks that repeat genre searches.
Oct 2, 2022 9:36 AM

Jul 2017
GreyratAnimelist said:

I've thought about it but

1. you can only have 50 max at a time

2. more effort

3. in the case of manga there's a lot of manga that just isn't on MAL in the first place

4. too lazy
Jan 23, 2023 10:56 PM

Mar 2016
Love the list hope your keeping it updated.

Anime Name
More than a married couple, but not lovers.

MAL Link (Please do not hyperlink this)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/50425/Fuufu_Ijou_Koibito_Miman

They Pretend to be a marred couple. No love confession. does not end up as a couple

Yes.

has a bit love triangle thing going on with the 4 protagonists. Has a lot of Fan service for an anime with no ecchi Tag.
GreedyChipJan 24, 2023 12:26 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Hidden Gems of Spring 2024

ForgotEyeWasHere - 6 hours ago

6 by tchitchouan »»
3 minutes ago

» Your longest record/streak ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 9

88 by coffeedrops »»
3 minutes ago

» Any idea for my 2000th anime?

BenjaminJunior - May 10

13 by Ratris_Decision »»
19 minutes ago

» Best maid character?

Serafos - May 10

33 by Rhae »»
21 minutes ago

» Any romance anime where you liked MC more than main girl? (Shojo/Josei excluded)

Sanjay63773 - May 10

14 by armob »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.