Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 3, 2021 1:13 PM
Jan 2016
If that turns out to be true I'll pick the anime up again
Jan 4, 2021 12:31 AM
Dec 2020
pilotinha_ said:
GeneralFan said:

But throught the manga, Yotsuba was always the closest one to Fuu (and the one who supported him better) even if she had less important and romantic moments than the rest excepting the flashback. And there are people that fall in love with these factors.
But I still agree the ending was shit, it doesn't explain anything at all.

Yotsuba was not the one who was the closest to Futaro throughout the manga. First to support him as tutor, yes. Determined to help him and make the school trip fun for him, yes. Important, of course. But ALL the girls stood up for Futaro and supported him at many times, and if we have a contest about this, Itsuki wins.

The SLAP. Itsuki is outraged by Nino's actions in disrespecting Futaro's work. Of all the Quints, she's the one who knows Futaro best at that point, having visited his home and knowing his circumstances better than her sisters do...including Yotsuba. She recognized what her sisters did not: That the notes were all handwritten by Futaro, hand-copied SIX times, once for each Quint and once for himself. Itsuki stands by him and helps all throughout the Scrambled Eggs arc, gives him advice on a number of occassions, stands up to her father, stands up for herself and her sisters to Futaro's childhood friend, etc. Which is not to say that the other Quints didn't also have moments standing by and supporting Futaro; they did. But Itsuki went above and beyond, in spectacular fashion, so much that if the BS reason Futaro gives for picking Yotsuba actually fit Itsuki best of all, and the other Quints better than Yotsuba. And then Yotsuba ditches him for track. Which makes no sense given her supposed deep love of Futaro at that point. Oh, and REINA. Reina would be a motivator and helper to Futaro throughout the book. Yotsuba may have started it, but there were clearly times that Itsuki was doing it own her own, even if to try and get Futaro to remember Kyoto (and therefore that Yotsuba was the Kyoto girl). Sure, Itsuki was helping Yotsuba, but she was also helping Futaro.

All of which shows how badly Negi treated Itsuki. A girl stands up for you, is completely loyal to you, and you insult her at the end of the manga. Worse, think on this: A girl slaps another girl, her identical Quint sister no less, completely standing up for your hard work, and you show zero gratitude to her. Then your defender runs away, moves into your home, and for days sleeps in the same room as you and your little sister. In the normal course of events I'd give a 95% (in either fiction or real life) probability of the boy and girl hitting it off romantically in such a circumstance. Any man would be blown away by having a girl come to his defense in such a way. Here, Futaro barely acknowledges Itsuki did anything for him, and Negi focuses all his attention on Nino.

But Negi's treatment of Itsuki gets worse.

Think about it: After the WORST CONFESSION OF ALL TIME, Negi puts us through this pointless bit about Itsuki's "feelings". We only see Itsuki talk about those feelings, but never see her actually having those feelings, with in the end, them being dismissed.

But no girl would rush to the defense of a guy against her own sister if she didn't have REAL feelings that weren't just platonic. Itsuki had passionate feelings for Futaro, which we see pop up at other times, lastly when defending her and her sisters to Futaro's first crush.

My own feeling is that Negi was terrified of Itsuki because she was such a threat to his preferred choice of Yotsuba, that he did his absolute best to undermine her in many ways, because not only did the publisher want Itsuki, Itsuki was such a natural and powerful fit for Futaro even without the publisher's backing. I think he was able to pour so many positive character developments into Miku because he never saw her as a threat, and that he was surprised by her massive popularity. But since she wasn't his choice, and she wasn't the publisher's choice, he never felt threatened by her.

The result is that we never get to see the feelings that Itsuki HAD to have had throughout the manga, and we get those obvious feelings dismissed in the end. My own take is that Itsuki was impressed when Futaro pretended to think that she was Miku, but apologized in the midst of it, then went on pretending that she was Miku, starting her feelings for him, but her sudden SLAP of Nino made her realize the depth of those feelings. But just when she's starting to realize that she's falling for him, BAM! Yotsuba arrives revealing the whole Kyoto thing with Yotsuba making Itsuki be Reina. Itsuki, with her need to be mom to her sisters, can't refuse, and like any good mom won't steal a man away from her "daughter" no matter her own feelings, and switches to suppressing her feelings from that point forward, denying them. This would've made for a lot of great drama possibilities, but Negi didn't dare go down such an obvious path. Instead he had to deliberately ignore it, because such a realization about Itsuki by the audience might cause enough pressure, combined with the publisher's preference, to change from his Yotsuba choice.

And what's Itsuki's reward for all the help she gives to her sisters? For being the girl-glue of the manga? She gets 3 worthless chapters at the end dealing with her scumbag Bio Dad, the BS "feelings" chapters, and no thanks from Futaro during the Quintuplet game.

Jan 4, 2021 12:53 AM
Dec 2020
If we go with the Yotsuba ending as real and not a dream, I have this major image of Futaro sitting at the bar at the honeymoon hotel in Hawaii getting bombed out of his mind, feeling completely bewildered and betrayed.

Why? Because we learn that despite being engaged for 5 years, Yotsuba never told him that she was the bell ringer kisser, bad, but not the worst thing that ever happened, but then it is heavily implied that only at that point does she tell him that 1) She was the Kyoto Girl, 2) That Ichika was Kyoto Girl # 2, and 3) That Ituski was Reina because Yotsuba asked her to play that role.

I dated my wife for almost 3 years and we were engaged for a little over a year when we were married. I'd have been poleaxed if my wife had dropped such levels of revelations on me right after we were married. Futaro would be thinking a number of things but not the least of which would be extreme guilt toward Ichika, as he'd be realizing that she had NOT been lying to him about Kyoto. Guilt also to Itsuki: Insulting her when she'd been doing her best to play matchmaker...plus a desire to dump a fully dressed Itsuki into a pond or pool at the hotel as revenge for her revenge for his insults to her causing her to tip him out of the boat at the dock. He'd also be thinking what might have happened if he'd known all this 5 years ago.

Drunken guy feeling betrayed and befuddled and guilty, could result in a lot of things which are not good for marital sustainability but could be used to sell hentai doujinshi.
Jan 6, 2021 3:41 PM
Jun 2020
It's best not to keep your hopes up
Jan 6, 2021 3:46 PM

Aug 2016
Kanureshii said:
It's best not to keep your hopes up

True, but I still will anyway.
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
Professional Supreme Gentleman - 恋人はあなたが選んだ兄弟です
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimeElitism/ (AnimeElitism Reddit)
https://discord.gg/4kdGsFG (Dead Discord)
2静か先生88#7307
Jan 7, 2021 4:35 PM
Dec 2020
I hope fuutarou married all of them.i can't accept fuutarou only choose one of them.......
Jan 14, 2021 8:29 PM

Jul 2008
GeneralFan said:

Because it is terrible. That's why so many people hate it. Now, you have basically 2 groups here, with some crossover: Group 1 hates simply because their girl lost. Then you have others, and there's lots of us, who despised the ending because it makes no sense at all, and is actually contradicted in many ways by facts that Negi set up in the manga.

I understand that you are unsatisfied with the ending and that is okay.

However there is no sense in love. Love isn't a game where you acquire points and the outcome is objectively decided by the one who amass the bigger number of points the fastest. Fuutarou could have chosen any of the five, or none at all and there would have always been people not agreeing with his choice because there is no logic in love.

As for not making sense for it to be Yotsuba.

Yotsuba was his motivation to become someone useful and he was her motivation to become someone useful. You're seeing it from the point of view of someone external to the entire story. You might feel like this does not amount to much because it wasn't presented that much but it's a sentiment that built their entire character and something they had to live with for years. She's someone who work too hard and always sacrifice herself for others, he's someone who will do the same for the people he hold dear. Her goal in life is the same as his: To become someone that can be useful to others, they only have a different way to express it. This is the entire premise of their childhood promise, the chain that bonded both of them for the greater part of the story and something they have a deep connection and empathy for.

If all you think about is what is on panel drawn by the mangaka and not how the characters might have felt during the majority of their lives (which was off panel) then that's a very shallow way of seeing things.

As he said himself, he likes the five quintuplets. They're all very important to him, they are his friend and now part of his family. He's very clear on the fact that he wants the five sisters to stay on great term and achieve their dreams. It only happened that in his heart, one stood up more than the others.

The five quintuplets got their own charm but this was never a race. Not everyone is desperate that they would take the first girl that show them affection. Doing so, without considering your own feeling would only be a poor display of lust and not love.

You need to have a very shallow understanding of relationships or be in bad faith to not accept the ending. I was rooting for Miku first and Nino second the entire time yet Yotsuba grew on me with time. While this isn't the ending I hoped for, it's something I can easily make peace with and with insight is the ending that I feel is right.
Jan 21, 2021 7:43 PM

Oct 2013
God I hope so, I haven't been let down by an ending this bad since prison school!
Also the manga started going down hill fast after the arcs there going through in the second season.
Jan 22, 2021 7:57 AM

Feb 2013
That doesn't make any sense. Negi fought hard to make his girl win.

I think anime is either going to get 3rd season, either they are going to create OVAs for skipped chapters (which is unfortunate for anime-only people). Or they will just create an open ending that will tell people to go read manga.
Jan 22, 2021 8:24 AM
Nov 2019
I feel another "Yesterday wo Utatte" train-wreck finish coming - I wasn't completely happy with the Manga ending - I'd have preferred a Itsuki ship, but whatever they do it has to be a decent adaptation or no-one will be happy.

There's too much material for just 2 seasons, but the author trashed the last few arcs and did a lazy-ass finish - so they could do a hanging finish with 6 * OVA's for each outcome (Stays single or falls for one of them).

Jan 23, 2021 7:52 AM

Jul 2017
My hopes aren't so much for a different ending as they are for more development and closure. I feel like so many things were left on the table in the manga as in the 'losing' girl(s) experiencing heartbreak but still moving on and getting started with their life after graduation. The manga just flashes forward and little time is spent on the aftermath.
わかりました
Feb 12, 2021 5:39 AM

Mar 2019
the ending of the manga sucks so bad it really was appalling to the point i wasn't even planning to watch season 2
so what was the original ending ? need someone to spoil it for me if it's good i might watch the show again
Feb 13, 2021 9:38 PM

Aug 2018
I dont mind an anime original ending but it should be executed properly. At this point almost all knew who gonna won in the end lol so an original ending will make this anime more interesting.

*whisper* I hope Nino wins if this true
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Feb 15, 2021 4:58 AM
Oct 2019
Oh boy this will started another war again lmao
Feb 15, 2021 6:00 AM

Oct 2020
davidyodo24 said:
Actually this is an old thread and made directly by the MAL team, well yeah this thread can indeed provoke another war.
Feb 15, 2021 6:01 AM
Oct 2019
Snow_dropindo99 said:
davidyodo24 said:
Actually this is an old thread and made directly by the MAL team, well yeah this thread can indeed provoke another war.

Ahh i didn't even see the date of the thread 😂
Mar 4, 2021 5:57 AM
Mar 2021
Miku will win.Not fuckin’ Yotsuba that doesn’t do anything.Fuutaro will marry Miku.If that not gonna happen,that will be totally fucked up.
Mar 4, 2021 5:58 AM
Mar 2021
Tsuukaku-Zanryuu said:
I dont mind an anime original ending but it should be executed properly. At this point almost all knew who gonna won in the end lol so an original ending will make this anime more interesting.

No,Miku will win Fuutaro hearts.
Mar 4, 2021 5:40 PM
Jul 2018
Salamanderman621 said:
Tsuukaku-Zanryuu said:

No,Miku will win Fuutaro hearts.
Nah, if Anime uses the original ending it must be Nino

Also use your original account man if you want to argue XD
Mar 22, 2021 1:20 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Does seem this will happen so I expect a cliffhanger...unless they announce S3.

But the manga ended...
Oct 18, 2021 5:43 PM
Oct 2021
I wonder why people don't like the manga ending, even Japanese fans don't mind about the manga ending, Tell me what made you all dislike the manga ending?? what's the reason just because the girl you like lost in the manga LOL.

If you say yotsuba wins for that then you're completely wrong. She only helps and cheers her sisters, not to the point of sacrificing. So what about ichika's sacrifice, she works hard to help her sisters, and itsuki, she sacrifices her feelings for fuutaro to become a yotsuba helper mother when she sees her suffering emotionally. These are the great sacrifices yotsuba can't make. You can't compare yotsuba with these things. She just avoided, not sacrificed. Before you want to say anything, look at what others do to compare, not compare in such an absurd way.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Endings

Moppit - Apr 25

15 by Moppit »»
Yesterday, 11:12 AM

Poll: » 5-toubun no Hanayome ∬ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

AZY-sama - Jan 28, 2021

132 by Sporecraft »»
Apr 13, 3:02 PM

» 2 year later and I still don't understand the miku hype

PointlessSmith - Apr 5, 2021

31 by 7samy »»
Mar 5, 2:43 PM

Poll: » 5-toubun no Hanayome ∬ Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jan 21, 2021

143 by Yawuz_707 »»
Feb 16, 1:32 AM

Poll: » 5-toubun no Hanayome ∬ Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Mar 25, 2021

260 by Henk-Devries »»
Feb 13, 5:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.