Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 26, 2020 11:10 PM

Jun 2016
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I cried really hard to this chapter, it was a unique kind of cry. I felt tears going down my face one at a time, it was clean rather than a horrendous mess of sobs. It was warm and freeing. I think this is one of my favorite chapters of Ten. Maybe of Fukumoto in general, I don’t think his work has ever affected exactly like this before.

Maybe it was the fact that Ginji is easily one of my favorite characters in this manga. Under his quiet and unassuming appearance he has a lot going on. Whether it’s the pain he’s carrying or his fearsome skill. He is awesome. And here, just like with Kanamitsu, the levels of the conversation were thick and meaningful as they were slowly unpeeled.

In the beginning of the conversation as they drank together and laughed, commented on the room being a good place to die, it felt like Ginji had decided not to make any pleas but rather spend his final moments with his friend. To have a final drink with him and to refuse anything from diluting this experience. Through his conversation on death and Akagi having lived a good life, allowing him the strength to decide when to die, making me recollect Kurosawa and Kaiji’s idea of the ‘provisional life’, there was something else burrowing in the background. The sweat on Ginji’s brow and his shifty eyes looking to Akagi as if he wanted validation to these ideas, whether it was confirmation for his or Akagi’s sake. The way he said “right?” after speaking about death being nothing special looked desperate to me. This was not just a friend spending some peaceful final moments with another, he was picking the brain of a man on his deathbed. But when Ginji finally broke down, letting his feelings out and asking for him to continue, I broke down with him. It was due to the realization that I had already made coming to light but so much stronger than I expected.

Ultimately I think the reason this chapter hit me so hard was the topics broached. I view Fukumoto as a toolset that we can use and apply to deal with life and its hardships. In Ten, he now faces one of the hardest parts of life to grapple with, disease, illness and death. Akagi has kept up the theme of comforting those that one may expect should be comforting him, with soft smiles of companionship and wisdom. Ginji has cancer as he is facing his own death. By expressing a view of life I happen to share and a wager that there’s nothing to worry about, Akagi will lead Ginji by example. “Accept it. Death..! As much as you can… Warmly… Welcome it…”

I feel these conversations have let us see a very kind side to the demon that is Akagi Shigeru and it makes me wonder if understanding is what he is after, helping his friends get over any hesitancies they may hold.
Dec 22, 2020 11:08 AM

Mar 2017
My god, I don't know if I can keep on reading. I started crying now, and I have a feeling it's only going to get worse... not Ginji too!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ten Chapter 164 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - Jun 15, 2010

9 by teamroach007 »»
Oct 30, 2021 2:47 PM

Poll: » Ten: Tenhou-doori no Kaidanji Chapter 140 Discussion

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs - Mar 25, 2020

1 by Leigh39 »»
Dec 22, 2020 10:54 AM

Poll: » Ten: Tenhou-doori no Kaidanji Chapter 138 Discussion

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs - Mar 20, 2020

1 by Leigh39 »»
Dec 22, 2020 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ten: Tenhou-doori no Kaidanji Chapter 137 Discussion

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs - Mar 19, 2020

1 by Leigh39 »»
Dec 22, 2020 10:35 AM

Poll: » Ten: Tenhou-doori no Kaidanji Chapter 135 Discussion

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs - Mar 13, 2020

1 by Leigh39 »»
Dec 22, 2020 4:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.