Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2020 9:02 PM

Jun 2016
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I was joking to my friend that Akagi literally told Hiroyuki that he would do this yet he was hit the hardest and they made a point I’d like to share. They suggested that it makes sense that Hiroyuki would be hit so hard. Hiroyuki’s life has revolved around Akagi since he met the guy. After leaving him for the first time, he was thirsting to play at a level close to the level Akagi and Ten played at. Then he became a student to Akagi and saw how strong and brilliant he was. From there, he decided he would be inferior to such a great man. He idolized him! And now, everyone has been hit with the news that Akagi is dealing with one of the most painful human experiences: disease, the futile, seemingly meaningless affliction that takes humans down. Further, that he’s killing himself and no one can stop him. This put things into perspective for me.

As for Akagi, fascinatingly, although definitely inspired by Fukumoto and therefore not a coincidence, I had recently verbalized my dream as to live to my fullest. In a large sense, to be myself. That is what Akagi lived for and was put in a near identical way. With Kurosawa shifting my world view, this is again not a surprise, but it let me relate with Akagi. It makes me wonder what I would do in such a situation.

Further, this has become the ethical question we had to write answers on in that biomedical ethics class I took. That is: Should we allow for a man to commit suicide as to retain his pride and his identity, refusing altzheimers from taking it away? The format of doing this is brilliant actually, each person from the east west battle, people Akagi must feel close to, will have ten to twenty minutes to speak to him. To say goodbye and to formulate whether they want to try and stop him, or if they will see him to the end. I presume Hiroyuki will go last and our minds may change just as his does on this topic.

To document my answer to this and see how it may change, Kanamitsu already kind of did. If it was another case, such as someone in grief or someone young, or perhaps to give a nod to another Fukumoto work; someone beaten and humiliated by kids, then of course we should have the empathy to steer them on the right path. But, in a case like this, I feel to stop Akagi from living the life that has defined him up to this point, for what, feeling happy that he’s still around, is cruel. I feel that is the cruelest thing one could do him, to force him to live and lose his way. Further, even if it wasn’t Akagi, I do ultimately respect anyone wishing to die before they lose their mind, even if they would find a pleasurable life without their reason and identity. I feel strongly about this kind of respect to a human’s wishes and pride when those things are at risk. Therefore, I feel I am a heavy supporter of “seeing him to the end”, as sad as it would be. It makes me think about suddenly breaking down into tears while saying goodbye to my cat as, that's the closest I've been to this.

This issue itself made me tear up. With beautiful phrase just like that: “It’s not watching him die, it’s seeing him to end” to summarize the difference Kanamitsu later depicted, or Ten’s determined but clearly pained call on “we’ll let him die” understanding and respect Akagi; perhaps akin to how I feel I would. That is, I’m sure everyone when facing Akagi will let out different sides, their resolve will falter, even Akagi’s might as he cracks in a way we would never expect. However, the key reason I teared up is that this issue is real. The question of how much you can interfere with someone’s suicidal wishes and whether or not it is selfish or futile to do so. In a case like this, without an easy answer, and emotions clogging up your values and logic, it’s heavy stuff.
Dec 22, 2020 10:54 AM

Mar 2017
When did this fun Mahjong manga become this depressing? This hit me very hard. Thankfully I did not have to deal with suicide or people with Alzheimers in my personal life, but just hearing stories from others or from reading up on it, I can understand how serious this is. To be honest, I'd wish for my own swift death as well if I was in his place. This method of having a final goodbye may be hard on the others, but ultimately I think it will be for the best of all of them.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ten Chapter 164 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - Jun 15, 2010

9 by teamroach007 »»
Oct 30, 2021 2:47 PM

Poll: » Ten: Tenhou-doori no Kaidanji Chapter 144 Discussion

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs - Mar 26, 2020

1 by Leigh39 »»
Dec 22, 2020 11:08 AM

Poll: » Ten: Tenhou-doori no Kaidanji Chapter 138 Discussion

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs - Mar 20, 2020

1 by Leigh39 »»
Dec 22, 2020 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ten: Tenhou-doori no Kaidanji Chapter 137 Discussion

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs - Mar 19, 2020

1 by Leigh39 »»
Dec 22, 2020 10:35 AM

Poll: » Ten: Tenhou-doori no Kaidanji Chapter 135 Discussion

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs - Mar 13, 2020

1 by Leigh39 »»
Dec 22, 2020 4:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.