Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2020 7:12 PM

Jun 2016
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Akagi is a total troll, he likes to keep things interesting. Everything about his death felt odd and Hiroyuki knew it. Seeing his body felt wrong, and eventually when he was told the chief mourner would lead him away we saw the reveal. Seeing his clothes from outside was already so distinctively Akagi that I burst out laughing. I think he takes some serious joy in playing with people’s expectations, just like he did when he joined the east west battle. His laughter was great. Amazingly, I knew this could have happened somewhere in my heart because last chapter I joked about him showing up to his own funeral. He is so elusive that he has now escaped our expectation of death. But can he escape it again?

As Hiroyuki freaked out, he stated that he was going to die tonight. He did so with confidence and it led to a good moment of soaking that in. Moments of silence, pages of confusion, and then, to make it worse, Akagi tripped on a lantern and added more questions to the mix. His vision is going out. Just as we were back 9 years ago, we are in the shoes of Hiroyuki yet again. As he stumbles his words and this gloomy ambiguity sets in. I’m curious what’s to come.

I had thought that Fukumoto would give some explicit words on dealing with death as, while exploring death in his other works which I’ve read, be it through Kurosawa or Kaiji, and the dichotomy of living and surviving, it generally has to do with accepting our own fate. As powerful and inspiring as those ideas are, something I’ve since then adopted, they are not an external look into death. We could apply some rules of empathy that he has written about many times, but it’s still different. That said, if Akagi is so sure that he’s going to die, we may get the deepest look into this topic I’ve yet read in his works. I am aware of his manga LiFe which may be another facet into this. Also, this chapter suddenly struck me with how modern it looks. Checking the dates, I imagine this was written around 2000, that would line up with Kaiji part 2 if so. The excellent and specifically clean art in this chapter totally made me think of late Kaiji. It’s fun to reflect back on the original and far older style of Fukumoto’s at this point, I recommend going back to chapter one and seeing how the style has developed.
Dec 22, 2020 10:41 AM

Mar 2017
Oh my god, Akagi you asshole! You had me worried for a minute there haha! I should have known, but yeah I expected this the moment Hiroyuki thought something was strange. I can only wish to one day be just half as cool as Akagi.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ten Chapter 164 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - Jun 15, 2010

9 by teamroach007 »»
Oct 30, 2021 2:47 PM

Poll: » Ten: Tenhou-doori no Kaidanji Chapter 144 Discussion

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs - Mar 26, 2020

1 by Leigh39 »»
Dec 22, 2020 11:08 AM

Poll: » Ten: Tenhou-doori no Kaidanji Chapter 140 Discussion

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs - Mar 25, 2020

1 by Leigh39 »»
Dec 22, 2020 10:54 AM

Poll: » Ten: Tenhou-doori no Kaidanji Chapter 137 Discussion

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs - Mar 19, 2020

1 by Leigh39 »»
Dec 22, 2020 10:35 AM

Poll: » Ten: Tenhou-doori no Kaidanji Chapter 135 Discussion

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs - Mar 13, 2020

1 by Leigh39 »»
Dec 22, 2020 4:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.