Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 22, 2020 11:03 PM
Feb 2020
Although I love romance anime (#1 for me is Toradora), if it becomes a harem I start to quickly lose interest, I felt the same way with Clannad until I watched After Story(which was amazing), and although I understand why harems are popular, i really don't care for them.
Mar 23, 2020 12:12 AM
Jul 2018
When two girls who have a great dynamic together fight over a bland boy.
Mar 23, 2020 2:09 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Harem's are a big no-no for me. Also, random ex-lovers showing up randomly for the sake of a forced love triangle. For whatever reason, these exes tend to be really obnoxious.
Mar 23, 2020 4:00 AM
Jul 2018
When romance anime are shown realistically, it hurts me a lot. I know it's my own expectations from the anime and I'm not blaming the creator for making it that way. But I would much rather prefer a happy fantasy than a realistic drama.
But I did notice that because such anime can make me feel so irritated and uneasy, so in a certain way, I actually do enjoy such shows. But if it takes an extremely sad turn, like how Five centimetres per second did, then it's really a turn off. It's sad when you end things like that, when you even tried to make your characters work on the relationship lol, but all for nothing.
Mar 23, 2020 10:20 AM

Mar 2018
If it feels/is cliche and/or cringe-worthy
"Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your poker face."
-Kaito Kuroba (aka Kaitou Kid)

"A thief is a creative artist who takes his prey in style. But a detective is nothing more than a critic who follows our footsteps."
-Kaito Kuroba (aka Kaitou Kid)

Mar 23, 2020 12:49 PM
Feb 2014
Indecisiveness, stupidity and stupid break-ups.
Mar 23, 2020 12:49 PM
Hello World!:))

Oct 2015
I just like to see the couple. Not two people. A couple.

The worst thing for me is a love triangle... I just can't stand these kind of things. And that one is connected to the second thing i dont like-> when the lovers can't express their feelings so they wait for 39482 episodes to say something.

That's why i love anime like Golden Time or even SAO because of one simply thing- the couple is REAL. Even if the romance in anime is stupid or shallow, when they express their feelings early, without waiting for the 4 season- I DON'T MIND lack of depth etc.

So i will say it again:
I just like to see the couple. Not two people. A couple.

And i'ts sad for me, that there are a lot of good series focusing only on fighting beetwen heroines over a boy. I know that it can be funny to watch, but i only crush my teeth watching this haha
"I'll be done soon. If you wait nicely, I'll buy you some sweetbread." said Lawrence.

- I'll thank you not to treat me like a child.

"Oh, you don't want any?"

- I do.

Mar 23, 2020 6:27 PM
May 2013
When they throw a "spanner in the works", i.e. when a character is spontaneously introduced to cause an obstacle which ultimately adds nothing to the story causes a sidetrack for several episodes.
Mar 23, 2020 6:38 PM
Jul 2018
What ruins a romance anime for me is how new character/s show up out of nowhere and ruin the couple's relationship. I have seen some romance anime that included this type of thing and it annoys me.
Mar 24, 2020 4:10 AM
Nov 2014
https://myanimelist.net/anime/33487/Masamune-kun_no_Revenge
like this anime. I don't know how I can watch it to the end. I wait for his revenge but till the end, it's nothing happen.
Mar 24, 2020 4:26 AM

Jan 2020
Reina_Orikasa said:
- zero progression
- trash ending
- bad drama
- unnecessary triangles
- best girl doesn't win
- and others that I'm not thinking of

That sums up what I was about to write
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
Mar 24, 2020 4:42 AM
Mar 2020
That they don't seal the deal when they both like each other and the know it too
Mar 24, 2020 5:22 AM

Sep 2018
Where nothing actually happens and they don't even kiss, eg TLR.
Mar 24, 2020 6:42 AM

Jun 2019
My personal dislike regarding romance anime is a bad ending (ie most harems, although some like Oreshura & Shuffle do have the MC actually chose a girl), or a no conclusion ending (like Haganai: I don't have many friends or Nisekoi, I am aware the manga does have an ending, it's just anime only watchers that get left out).

Another aspect I don't like is NTR. In hentai it can be ok, sometimes, but having some pervy guy suddenly pop up and hit on the MC's girl can be really jarring. You can tell they are just trying to get an emotional reaction out of the audience by hurting the MC or the MC's love interest. I don't mind NTR when it's in context, but bringing it into an anime in place of actual story writing, just to get a reaction, is frustrating.

Another gripe I have is school based romance. I liked Toradora & Tzuresure Children, both great romance anime, but I wish we had more romance anime based in different places and locations, such as 'I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying' (just longer), Ah My Goddess!, Dears etc, rather than having them continuously set in school, like Oresuki this past Fall season, which was great.

Now I'm older, and not getting any younger, I don't relate to school based settings like I used to. I'd like to see sitcom like anime set around the daily lives of couples. Anime has some great writers, just look at Maidens In Your Savage Season & Oresuki, I'm sure they could do something similar but show more of the later stages of romance.

The final issue with romance anime is the slow progression of intimacy, where it takes the whole season just for a couple to admit their feelings, then S2 just to hold hands, that sort of thing.
23feanorMar 24, 2020 6:53 AM
Mar 24, 2020 6:51 AM

Aug 2016
Deknijff said:
When I don't like any of the characters thats the focus of the romance is probably what kills any show for me
Happens ever time I I'm not invested in the cast like SNAFU, White Album 2, Monogatari and Maison Ikkoku come to my mind right now

Weird, The characters in those first 3 series you listed is much, much more compelling than anything that you have in your favorites
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
Professional Supreme Gentleman - 恋人はあなたが選んだ兄弟です
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimeElitism/ (AnimeElitism Reddit)
https://discord.gg/4kdGsFG (Dead Discord)
2静か先生88#7307
Mar 24, 2020 10:47 AM

Oct 2013
shizukasensei said:
Deknijff said:
When I don't like any of the characters thats the focus of the romance is probably what kills any show for me
Happens ever time I I'm not invested in the cast like SNAFU, White Album 2, Monogatari and Maison Ikkoku come to my mind right now
Weird, The characters in those first 3 series you listed is much, much more compelling than anything that you have in your favorites
Ah ok very cool and good to know
Im very sure you've seen every show with the characters in my fav section to even have a valid grounding in that stance
Mar 24, 2020 10:56 AM

Dec 2014
Tsundere characters, or when the protagonist is too modest, and apologizes every second he touches the girl
Mar 24, 2020 11:12 PM

Aug 2016
Deknijff said:
shizukasensei said:
Im very sure you've seen every show with the characters in my fav section to even have a valid grounding in that stance

I'm not gonna that I have watch/read them all, but I have a good idea of the depth they possess
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
2静か先生88#7307
Mar 25, 2020 5:48 AM

Oct 2013
shizukasensei said:
Deknijff said:
Im not gonna that I have watch/read them all, but I have a good idea of the depth they possess
Sounds like the ignorant person on the subject trying to sound qualified for what he isn’t qualified for to me honestly
Mar 25, 2020 5:53 AM

Aug 2016
Deknijff said:
shizukasensei said:
Im not gonna that I have watch/read them all, but I have a good idea of the depth they possess
Sounds like the ignorant person on the subject trying to sound qualified for what he isn’t qualified for to me honestly

You're right tbh, I'm just a random anime elitist Edit: I'm currently watching index lll, fuck index tbh
2静か先生88#7307
Mar 25, 2020 7:12 AM

Jun 2015
When it doesn't have an ending. Seriously, I hate it when a series builds up a couple or teases at romance, only for the show to cuck me in the end.

💖 𝐼'𝓂 𝒽𝒶𝓎𝒹𝑒𝓃❣ 💖

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ 💝 𝒯𝓌𝒾𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇 💝 𝒴𝑜𝓊𝒯𝓊𝒷𝑒 💝 ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆
💝 𝑀𝓎𝐹𝒾𝑔𝓊𝓇𝑒𝒞𝑜𝓁𝓁𝑒𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 💝
Mar 25, 2020 8:37 PM

Oct 2019
When the anime not once shows a kiss and if they get together in the first episode.
Mar 25, 2020 9:19 PM

Oct 2016
too much ecchi, it's better to focus on the emotional side IMO
Mar 25, 2020 10:48 PM
Sep 2019
Forced romance, most of all, I suppose. I want it to be genuine and organic.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Mar 26, 2020 12:01 AM

Feb 2015
R-K said:
I'm a big fan of the romance genre for anime and there are many different opinions of what can ruin a romance anime for you. For me personally, I would have to say NTR and when a relationship or crush forms over something stupid. For example in just because!, Mio is in love with Haruto over an act of "kindness" where he gives her an eraser during an exam since she dropped hers. I can deal with no conclusion as long as there's another season or it actually closes on a good note. Dense characters are fine as long as they got some personality behind them where they're funny or actually interesting to watch, but there's a limit to how dense a character can be before it turns into annoyance/frustration.
what ruins romance anime for me in general is when the Heroine or MC acts overly child like I hate that in characters who are supposed to be in their teens or adulthood. in anime because it is so stupid and unrealistic behaviour from a grown human.
Mar 26, 2020 12:04 AM

Feb 2018
When the show goes out of its way to bait the idea of the characters getting together without them ever actually getting together. Especially if it becomes a running gag for them to almost confess to each other, only for some BS misunderstanding to conveniently occur every time.
"If it's not big, it's only a bust," some guy on the internet
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 2 hours ago

21 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Favorite Beater in anime

Catalano - 18 minutes ago

3 by KittenCuddler »»
4 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 8 hours ago

27 by Shizuna »»
9 minutes ago

» Categorize your Profile Favorite Characters as sadist, masochist, or switch

IpreferEcchi - 41 minutes ago

2 by Timeline_man »»
13 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

64 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.