Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 22, 2020 2:27 PM
Jan 2017
The same company that helped drive the nail in the coffin of Sega. I believe is finally coming to a end. Sony will lose money due to Trumps new trade tariffs. This is bad news for Sony fans . Sony gas already said the price is difficult. Plus Microsoft has a lot more money to spend then Sony. With the Switch overtaking strong ground in Japan and the west market Sony is back in a corner. It's going to be a dream come true to see them out of gaming industry. This is a prayer answered. I hate Sony always have. They used a CD gimmick to get fame in the gaming market. Copied all their competitors, stole what others made put a label on it. The PS2 is nothing but a glorified DVD player. Was lightyears behind the Xbox, gamecube in power and in technology the dreamcast and Xbox had.

Can't wait mark my words come two years I'll be commenting on this post laughing at you Sony fans.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 22, 2020 3:09 PM

Aug 2012
The-Nsider said:
Can't wait mark my words come two years I'll be commenting on this post laughing at you Sony fans.

See you in 2 years, buddy.
Feb 22, 2020 3:14 PM
Jan 2017
MrAwesome2018 said:
The-Nsider said:

MrAwesome2018 said:
The-Nsider said:

You won't laugh long
Feb 22, 2020 4:13 PM
Jul 2018
Who cares about consoles, aside from for exclusives? The sooner they all go extinct and games are consolidated to PC, the better.
Feb 22, 2020 4:34 PM

Apr 2015
Well, I certainly won't be getting a PS5, mainly because the price being rumored to be $500 and Sony's unending censorship of anime games.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 22, 2020 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
if it has full backwards compatibility with PS4 games then i would consider getting it since i never got a playstation since PS2. I'd like to catch up on those exclusives i missed out on.

if it dies out then I'm all for the switch becoming the next mainstream console. as long as we can play good games comfortably then why not.
Feb 22, 2020 4:48 PM

Nov 2011
Sounds like an Xbox's fan to me.

Feb 22, 2020 5:17 PM

Nov 2008
Playstation isn't going anywhere soon, the only thing that kill the brand is if it goes cloud only before 20 or so years from now (as the world isn't ready for cloud only gaming and neither are big companies like Sony).

Feb 22, 2020 5:54 PM

Aug 2009
Oh, boy. Here we go again.

Feb 22, 2020 5:59 PM
Jan 2017
Kaiser-chan said:

Nintendo fan bud. But I hate how Sony takes no risks and has suck games and sells good.
Feb 22, 2020 6:00 PM

Jan 2017
You're joking, right? They completely ruled this generation of xbox one / PS4 and considering microsoft is killing their exclusives left and right this may as well continue going forward [they butchered gears of war and infinite failing will equal the end of halo].

That stuff is besides the point though, consoles with stay as long as PC's remain outside of the general mainstream market. The only way for Playstation or Xbox to stop being a thing is that something else would come around that's better which time and time again has shown impossible [I mean shit, just look at the google stradia]. I'd say there's a good chance microsoft will decline in terms of xbox but considering they can't go bankrupt and xbox is a literal cultural icon it will still never die, same goes with playstation.

No idea how old you are but if you were around during the ps2/xbox era and you're thinking stupid shit like this I'm sorry but you just have a bad idea on how real world business works lol
Feb 22, 2020 6:47 PM

May 2018
I'm still going to buy myself a PS 5.
Feb 22, 2020 8:50 PM

Jul 2012
I'd actually argue somewhat the opposite, I think Sony is the only group who still acts like the console wars are going.

That aspect I would argue is potentially negative if cross platform keeps increasing (cause you can look at the hatred for Epic Games Store hoarding exclusives in reference to the PC community). But it means they're still going to be going hard for physical exclusives or at least delaying physical releases for the XSeX meaning they want to be extremely competitive to further establish their console dominance.
The Switch is extremely popular but they aren't even remotely competing for the same gaming audience unless you count indie devs that release on every platform they can.
They're also going to be pushing hard for more first party games because Microsoft is notably backing off. Explicitly by trying to market themselves as a cheaper PC alternative for gaming and not a standalone console for putting out titles (they even said don't really expect any major Xbox game announcements for like the first year of launch).

If they commit hard to diving into backwards compatibility and really expand their online store then the PS5 will fly off the shelves for access to that library alone. If the Switch expanded their online releases/virtual console as well then the Switch and PS5 will be the only consoles worth buying.

Also the PS2 was by far the best console in terms of game library which is the only metric that matters.
GamerDLMFeb 22, 2020 9:02 PM
Feb 22, 2020 11:19 PM

Mar 2016
imagine seething over a black box so much that you have to write a poorly written paragraph about it.
Feb 23, 2020 1:49 AM

May 2019
I really think Nvidia GT8800 will be the end of Personal Computers
Feb 23, 2020 4:10 AM

Feb 2020
Why do you think so?
Feb 23, 2020 4:18 AM

Jun 2016
I really hope so since PS4 was very disappointing. No sony exclusives apart from persona, bloodborne and dreams are worth buying anymore.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 23, 2020 8:09 AM

Feb 2019
Isn't their world headquarters in California?
Feb 23, 2020 9:30 AM
Jan 2017
GamerDLM said:
I'd actually argue somewhat the opposite, I think Sony is the only group who still acts like the console wars are going.

That aspect I would argue is potentially negative if cross platform keeps increasing (cause you can look at the hatred for Epic Games Store hoarding exclusives in reference to the PC community). But it means they're still going to be going hard for physical exclusives or at least delaying physical releases for the XSeX meaning they want to be extremely competitive to further establish their console dominance.
The Switch is extremely popular but they aren't even remotely competing for the same gaming audience unless you count indie devs that release on every platform they can.
They're also going to be pushing hard for more first party games because Microsoft is notably backing off. Explicitly by trying to market themselves as a cheaper PC alternative for gaming and not a standalone console for putting out titles (they even said don't really expect any major Xbox game announcements for like the first year of launch).

If they commit hard to diving into backwards compatibility and really expand their online store then the PS5 will fly off the shelves for access to that library alone. If the Switch expanded their online releases/virtual console as well then the Switch and PS5 will be the only consoles worth buying.

Also the PS2 was by far the best console in terms of game library which is the only metric that matters.

Lol name a top 10 PS2 exclusive in game rankings? Or Metacritic for that matter. You can't? I name a Dreamcast, Gamecube, 64, Switch, and Wii game in there why is that? Maybe because all it had was handy downs the system was trash. Been banking on the name too long the price and tariffs will kill them. If Xbox ever gains ground in Japan which I hope they do since I buy a xbox for online and the amazing story of Halo beautiful game. Sony has nothing but persona no online good games, the system feels like it went back not forward. Sony calls the system a gaming machine but I can't find a game to recomend it... Never could since the ps1 went out...
Feb 23, 2020 11:21 AM

Nov 2008
The-Nsider said:
GamerDLM said:

Lol name a top 10 PS2 exclusive in game rankings? Or Metacritic for that matter. You can't? I name a Dreamcast, Gamecube, 64, Switch, and Wii game in there why is that? Maybe because all it had was handy downs the system was trash. Been banking on the name too long the price and tariffs will kill them. If Xbox ever gains ground in Japan which I hope they do since I buy a xbox for online and the amazing story of Halo beautiful game. Sony has nothing but persona no online good games, the system feels like it went back not forward. Sony calls the system a gaming machine but I can't find a game to recomend it... Never could since the ps1 went out...

https://www.businessinsider.com/playstation-2-best-ps2-games-2016-10

A google search will give you a few results you know.

Feb 23, 2020 11:29 AM

Sep 2014
no way fam consoles will always be a thing.
Feb 23, 2020 11:43 AM

Sep 2018
The hate boner for sony...My dude go in a room somewhere real quick and uhh take care of that. Afterwards take a few minutes to think, Two years...really?

Feb 23, 2020 12:07 PM

Oct 2017
Korishi said:
if it has full backwards compatibility with PS4 games then i would consider getting it since i never got a playstation since PS2. I'd like to catch up on those exclusives i missed out on.
Yeah, I would eventually buy a PS5 just so I can play older games legally.
Feb 23, 2020 12:14 PM

Sep 2014
I'm not sure. Sony fanboy will buy PS5 regardless. They kinda remind me those Apple fanboys purchasing every new model for no given reason. About the state of the PS right now, it seems sony fans don't actually care about video games anymore.

As for me, I lost all hope in this company after the dreadful library of the PS3 and the PS4 just look like a worse version of PS3. I'd just buy their only 1 or 2 exclusive games worth playing when they'll come on another console. No way I'm gonna waste a penny on the PS5 unless a miracle happens.
Feb 23, 2020 12:55 PM

Jul 2012
The-Nsider said:
GamerDLM said:

I'll just take a mishmash since you didn't lay out specifics and use ps2 games that scored a 9 or higher on Metacritic user scores for all time scores. (The highest score on the site for any game for reference is 9.4 and only Witcher 3 for PC has that.)
We have God Hand, Devil May Cry 3, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3 (both versions), Ratchet & Clank Up your Arsenal, Silent Hill 2, Kingdom Hearts 2, Bully, Ratchet & Clank Going Commando, GTA San Andreas, and Dynasty Warriors 4.
Just to be clear all of these games were ps2 exclusives for at least a year before being ported to other consoles so I excluded games where the ps2 version got higher ratings such as Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Burnout 3 because they weren't exclusives.

But also a fun note using the same metric includes only 2 exclusive games for the OG Xbox: Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.
Even if you expand it to include Xbox 360 titles that only adds 1 exclusive and that's Vanquish.

Also praising Xbox for online games is ironic because it also single-handedly created one of the most toxic gaming communities and it's still the only reason anyone buys Xbox games/consoles. Japan also doesn't generally care about shooters so the Xbox doesn't really have a place there because they have no variety with their exclusives.
GamerDLMFeb 23, 2020 1:45 PM
Feb 23, 2020 1:33 PM

Nov 2019
The-Nsider said:
Kaiser-chan said:

Nintendo fan bud. But I hate how Sony takes no risks and has suck games and sells good.

The implication being that Nintendo "innovates" and "takes risks"? Going backwards to the NGC which was bog standard stuff, the Switch is a rebranded nVidia gaming tablet, the Wii U is basically the Wii but worse and copying Dreamcast's controller gimmick, and the Wii has only motion controls to it's name which were first successfully pioneered by Sega in 1985 (ignoring the other variations done prior that were failures). NGC has lackluster hardware and no real gimmicks, the N64 was severely limited by it's carts. The DS line isn't very innovative either if you don't live under a rock; resistive touch surfaces had been around for over a decade and in regular use in business hardware like Palm, HP, and Sony PDAs. The big difference is by the time of the DS, they had fallen in price tremendously and were being pushed out of the market by capacitive touch screens which lead to smartphones.

All Nintendo is good at is making you believe they are risky and innovative. The Switch is my evidence, merging the mobile department and console departments together while taking advantage of the popularity of tablet devices while also selling you a tablet that can't do any tablet things other than Nintendo games, unless you root and put Android on it. Extremely savvy business move, I'll give them credit where it's due.

OT: The PlayStation line will never truly die. This gen we got two roughly identical platforms and Sony is still doing quite well despite that while MS is still struggling to make deep inroads outside of the US market. PS5 is slated to use a Zen 2/Navi chipset which will dramatically boost the machine specs. As long as Sony stops listening to the woke crowd, they'll be fine.

And y'all gotta remember the main reason exclusives were a thing was largely the incompatible hardware of the past. It takes a lot of money to port games successfully and often isn't worth it, esp. when a mega-corp offers you a hefty check for exclusivity. Now that everything is either ARM or x86, we'll see fewer exclusives in general. Consoles now have really become just fancy prebuilt PCs. Still will shill Sony till my last breath though despite their recent wokeness issues.
Nico nico ni~eed a siggy like the all the cool kids
Really wish we had a rep system so I could farm it and spam rep+
Feb 23, 2020 8:10 PM
Jan 2017
GamerDLM said:
The-Nsider said:

I'll just take a mishmash since you didn't lay out specifics and use ps2 games that scored a 9 or higher on Metacritic user scores for all time scores. (The highest score on the site for any game for reference is 9.4 and only Witcher 3 for PC has that.)
We have God Hand, Devil May Cry 3, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3 (both versions), Ratchet & Clank Up your Arsenal, Silent Hill 2, Kingdom Hearts 2, Bully, Ratchet & Clank Going Commando, GTA San Andreas, and Dynasty Warriors 4.
Just to be clear all of these games were ps2 exclusives for at least a year before being ported to other consoles so I excluded games where the ps2 version got higher ratings such as Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Burnout 3 because they weren't exclusives.

But also a fun note using the same metric includes only 2 exclusive games for the OG Xbox: Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.
Even if you expand it to include Xbox 360 titles that only adds 1 exclusive and that's Vanquish.

Also praising Xbox for online games is ironic because it also single-handedly created one of the most toxic gaming communities and it's still the only reason anyone buys Xbox games/consoles. Japan also doesn't generally care about shooters so the Xbox doesn't really have a place there because they have no variety with their exclusives.

I said top 10. I don't care about that half off those like FF, GTA, are not owned by Sony. The top 5 games is flooded by Nintendo. And was made by the same guy! Or developed. So js
Feb 23, 2020 8:11 PM
Jan 2017
ItsaNico said:
The-Nsider said:

The implication being that Nintendo "innovates" and "takes risks"? Going backwards to the NGC which was bog standard stuff, the Switch is a rebranded nVidia gaming tablet, the Wii U is basically the Wii but worse and copying Dreamcast's controller gimmick, and the Wii has only motion controls to it's name which were first successfully pioneered by Sega in 1985 (ignoring the other variations done prior that were failures). NGC has lackluster hardware and no real gimmicks, the N64 was severely limited by it's carts. The DS line isn't very innovative either if you don't live under a rock; resistive touch surfaces had been around for over a decade and in regular use in business hardware like Palm, HP, and Sony PDAs. The big difference is by the time of the DS, they had fallen in price tremendously and were being pushed out of the market by capacitive touch screens which lead to smartphones.

All Nintendo is good at is making you believe they are risky and innovative. The Switch is my evidence, merging the mobile department and console departments together while taking advantage of the popularity of tablet devices while also selling you a tablet that can't do any tablet things other than Nintendo games, unless you root and put Android on it. Extremely savvy business move, I'll give them credit where it's due.

OT: The PlayStation line will never truly die. This gen we got two roughly identical platforms and Sony is still doing quite well despite that while MS is still struggling to make deep inroads outside of the US market. PS5 is slated to use a Zen 2/Navi chipset which will dramatically boost the machine specs. As long as Sony stops listening to the woke crowd, they'll be fine.

And y'all gotta remember the main reason exclusives were a thing was largely the incompatible hardware of the past. It takes a lot of money to port games successfully and often isn't worth it, esp. when a mega-corp offers you a hefty check for exclusivity. Now that everything is either ARM or x86, we'll see fewer exclusives in general. Consoles now have really become just fancy prebuilt PCs. Still will shill Sony till my last breath though despite their recent wokeness issues.

You would like to prove that wouldn't you and get your name in the national geographics!
Feb 23, 2020 8:28 PM

Jul 2012
The-Nsider said:
GamerDLM said:

I said top 10. I don't care about that half off those like FF, GTA, are not owned by Sony. The top 5 games is flooded by Nintendo. And was made by the same guy! Or developed. So js

Whether Sony owns them or whether you care is irrelevant to their status as an exclusive and their ratings on third party sites, if you're defining exclusives as first party titles you're wrong. I don't care about Halo but I'd still recognize it as a highly rated Xbox exclusive.

You said Metacritic and I gave you highly rated ps2 titles on Metacritic according to their best games of all time list. Unless you're asking to like find 1 critic who made top 10s for that site then it's just a matter of cherry picking and it doesn't matter what I'd find cause you could just cherry pick another top 10.

Also I never mentioned a FF game you didn't even read the list and inserted a FF title on your own.

In fact if this is the route you want to commit to The wikipedia list of video games considered the best might be the best source. Because you just want top video game lists and with every entry on this page there's a minimum of 6 list requirements that you can personally check. It's simple mathematics from that point to see which games between Playstation and Xbox are more represented.
GamerDLMFeb 24, 2020 3:48 AM
Feb 24, 2020 3:43 AM
May 2018
I only wish for every exclusive to come to PC as well, because nowadays consoles are forcing the whole nice graphics / low fps thing.
Feb 24, 2020 7:35 PM

Nov 2019
The-Nsider said:
ItsaNico said:

You would like to prove that wouldn't you and get your name in the national geographics!

NDS was released in 2004, Sega had a Game Gear touch sensitive prototype in the early 90s, and IBM had a touch-screen phone in '93. Palm Pilot 1000 had a touch screen and released in '96.

Switch literally uses an nVidia Tegra T210, the Tegra line getting it's biggest use in the Shield Tablets that were discontinued around the time the Switch launched, and the T210 is also used in the set-top version of the Shield. You can literally put Android on a switch and effectively have an nVidia Shield.

That motion control thing was Sega's Hang-On deluxe cabinet with the motorbike. AFAIK the first commercially successful motion-control scheme. There are also other implementations since and before that were not so commercially or technically successful as well until recent generations of consoles. For example there are also the Dreamcast Samba set (magnetic) and the PS2 EyeToy (image recognition) that both predate the Wii, and the true grand daddy was the Le Stick for the Atari 2600 using mercury switches since good cheap accelerometers weren't really invented yet in the early 1980s.

Btw, the NGC literally had the weakest hardware of it's generation, this is well established. The Wii isn't much better, and the Switch is a SoC you'd find in a tablet (compared to chips you'd find in an actual PC). X86 chips still have far better IPC than ARM chips and in particular the PS4/XBO have eight X86 cores and an additional ARM sub-processor compared to the Switch's eight ARM cores clocked at two-thirds the frequency. I'd also expect the Switch to suffer more thermal throttle given it's form factor.

This is all a google away, go ahead and prove me wrong where I am.
Feb 24, 2020 7:53 PM
Jul 2018
Even if PS5 and several acts of God made it so Playstation never produced hardware, they'd make their software somewhere. Most of these companies never really end.
Feb 28, 2020 12:42 PM
Jan 2017
ItsaNico said:
The-Nsider said:

NDS was released in 2004, Sega had a Game Gear touch sensitive prototype in the early 90s, and IBM had a touch-screen phone in '93. Palm Pilot 1000 had a touch screen and released in '96.

Switch literally uses an nVidia Tegra T210, the Tegra line getting it's biggest use in the Shield Tablets that were discontinued around the time the Switch launched, and the T210 is also used in the set-top version of the Shield. You can literally put Android on a switch and effectively have an nVidia Shield.

That motion control thing was Sega's Hang-On deluxe cabinet with the motorbike. AFAIK the first commercially successful motion-control scheme. There are also other implementations since and before that were not so commercially or technically successful as well until recent generations of consoles. For example there are also the Dreamcast Samba set (magnetic) and the PS2 EyeToy (image recognition) that both predate the Wii, and the true grand daddy was the Le Stick for the Atari 2600 using mercury switches since good cheap accelerometers weren't really invented yet in the early 1980s.

Btw, the NGC literally had the weakest hardware of it's generation, this is well established. The Wii isn't much better, and the Switch is a SoC you'd find in a tablet (compared to chips you'd find in an actual PC). X86 chips still have far better IPC than ARM chips and in particular the PS4/XBO have eight X86 cores and an additional ARM sub-processor compared to the Switch's eight ARM cores clocked at two-thirds the frequency. I'd also expect the Switch to suffer more thermal throttle given it's form factor.

This is all a google away, go ahead and prove me wrong where I am.

That doesn't prove a darn thing. Except you Sony fans lack the education to admit when you're wrong!
Feb 29, 2020 7:00 AM

Oct 2013
Yup...called it...this whole thread was just to shit on Playstation....

Lorescothe said:
Who cares about consoles, aside from for exclusives? The sooner they all go extinct and games are consolidated to PC, the better.

Also I'm tired of this superiority complex pc gamers seem to have...You aren't any better than console gamers, we all enjoy and play the same shit, get over yourselves. Seriously...This type of asinine bullshit is why I refuse to associate with anyone in the gaming community aside from my own group of friends. Grow the fuck up people. Just because we play video games doesn't mean we have to act like children or schoolyard bullies.
Mar 1, 2020 7:03 PM

Jun 2012
You seem like a pretty bad troll. The ps4 sold 50 million more units than the xbox... So why would it realistically be the end of playstation? If anything they're more confident than ever. What it does tell me is that xbox is going to be out the door if they don't improve their titles and manage to actually sell units in other countries outside the US. Nintendo has a hold of a very loyal group of fans that seem to buy any of their consoles/games no matter how milked they are, and their third party game library is almost completely made up of ports that run at 30fps at 720p. Playstation has been the most consistent console to give you third party games, great exclusives, and innovative technology. It will still be the best console to buy if you want good next gen console performance that is obtainable without buying a PC.

Idk what the purpose of this thread is
Mar 1, 2020 8:08 PM

Sep 2014
Daddy said:
Nintendo has a hold of a very loyal group of fans that seem to buy any of their consoles/games no matter how milked they are...

Gamecube sold 21M
Wii sold 101M
Wii U sold 13M
NSw sold 52M

The majority of the Nintendo console owners aren't loyal and aren't buying every next gen for no reason unlike Playstation owners who got hyped for a next gen without knowing much about the PS5. They'll buy the next console day one regardless how uninspiring their console truly are. "Wow a graphical upgrade, such a revolutionary technology! here is my wasted 500$"
Mar 2, 2020 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
Setsuei said:

Lorescothe said:

Also I'm tired of this superiority complex pc gamers seem to have...You aren't any better than console gamers, we all enjoy and play the same shit, get over yourselves. Seriously...This type of asinine bullshit is why I refuse to associate with anyone in the gaming community aside from my own group of friends. Grow the fuck up people. Just because we play video games doesn't mean we have to act like children or schoolyard bullies.

I don't have a superiority complex, I just don't see the point in all the money that goes into consoles, when the purpose of the hardware should be merely to get the job done. A PC you can customise all you like, it's much cheaper per performance, and is always ahead in hardware potential. Consolidating the games to PC would also mean people wouldn't need to waste money on multiple devices. None of this is about fanboying.
Mar 2, 2020 1:06 PM

Oct 2013
Lorescothe said:
Setsuei said:

I don't have a superiority complex, I just don't see the point in all the money that goes into consoles, when the purpose of the hardware should be merely to get the job done. A PC you can customise all you like, it's much cheaper per performance, and is always ahead in hardware potential. Consolidating the games to PC would also mean people wouldn't need to waste money on multiple devices. None of this is about fanboying.

Personally I'd rather just have something that's already made to do a specific job rather than having to constantly having to customize my pc to run newer more graphically demanding games. But that's just me. Besides, I don't like having all my entertainment in one place. If one device shits out on me , I'd like to have some kind of backup.
FanofActionMar 2, 2020 2:05 PM
Mar 2, 2020 10:58 PM
Jul 2018
Setsuei said:
Lorescothe said:

Personally I'd rather just have something that's already made to do a specific job rather than having to constantly having to customize my pc to run newer more graphically demanding games. But that's just me. Besides, I don't like having all my entertainment in one place. If one device shits out on me , I'd like to have some kind of backup.

M8, you don't have to upgrade your PC any more often than you have to buy a new console, and it's cheaper because it's usually only one part you need to replace. You don't need a backup, because like I say, it's cheaper buying one part if something breaks than buying a whole new console.
Mar 2, 2020 11:41 PM

Oct 2013
Lorescothe said:
Setsuei said:

M8, you don't have to upgrade your PC any more often than you have to buy a new console, and it's cheaper because it's usually only one part you need to replace. You don't need a backup, because like I say, it's cheaper buying one part if something breaks than buying a whole new console.

Ok fine, I'm done bullshitting to justify my choice in gaming device ...I have my reasons for preferring consoles that you likely wont understand, so I'm not going to bother explaining them.
FanofActionMar 2, 2020 11:55 PM
Mar 3, 2020 6:17 AM

Aug 2016
You'd be hard pressed to build a PC that has comparable specs to the upcoming Xbox or PS5 in the console price range.

For 500$ or so you're getting a system capable of playing games in 4k and 8k.
Exclusives and ease of use drive the demand for consoles. Some people want to kick back and play games on their sofa or in their bed in a streamlined way. There are too many steps when trying to do that on a PC.
Mar 3, 2020 8:10 AM

Jul 2012
Lorescothe said:
Setsuei said:

Arguably you'd rarely need to buy a new console because they usually offer support for several generations for repairs. Now it may be more tedious to have to send it in to get fixed but if the central measurement is cost it's probably comparable to replacing a computer part. If most people buy a new console it's usually because something broke and they want the spec upgrade for a mid-gen release (Ie. upgrading PS4 to Pro).
But the biggest problem with arguing cost is either you have to sink a ton more money into a one time PC purchase and hope it outlasts the ~5ish year gen split (and could be as much as buying 3 consoles), or you may have to upgrade several components that could easily be comparable to the price of a full console.
Mar 3, 2020 8:18 AM

Sep 2018
I highly doubt ps5 will be the end of playstation considering
1. PS4 made massive profits and won its console generation
2. It is a very popular brand. Even if it flops which is extremely unlikely they would not give up on consoles.
The only platform that can overcome censorship with ease is PC. I still buy consoles for exclusives though.
Mar 3, 2020 8:45 AM

Sep 2018
The-Nsider said:
GamerDLM said:

The ps2 library was incredible. It has
2 mainline persona games
5 SMT games
Many tales of games
Devil May Cry series
Kingdom Hearts series
Xenosaga vol1-3
.hack series
Okami
Psychonaughts
Tons of Naruto and Dragon Ball games that were fun
and more
In terms of consoles nothing comes close imo.
Mar 3, 2020 12:20 PM
Jul 2018
GamerDLM said:
Lorescothe said:

Arguably you'd rarely need to buy a new console because they usually offer support for several generations for repairs. Now it may be more tedious to have to send it in to get fixed but if the central measurement is cost it's probably comparable to replacing a computer part. If most people buy a new console it's usually because something broke and they want the spec upgrade for a mid-gen release (Ie. upgrading PS4 to Pro).
But the biggest problem with arguing cost is either you have to sink a ton more money into a one time PC purchase and hope it outlasts the ~5ish year gen split (and could be as much as buying 3 consoles), or you may have to upgrade several components that could easily be comparable to the price of a full console.

People need to buy new consoles because the specs are shit and you can't individually replace parts. Technology used for gaming is always edging forth, and the current PC games are already way ahead of what the current generation consoles can handle. Cheaper to buy a GPU that's worth less than $200 USD than to buy a whole new console.
My PC that I built back in 2013 was exactly the same cost in my country as an Xbox One was at launch in the US (despite the fact that shit is overpriced where I live). Compared to Xbone I had 4x the storage space (7200RPM vs Xbox One's 5400), same amount of memory, GPU has 186% more relative performance. 8 years later, I've only ever had one part break, and that was my hard drive on account of me using it 14+ hours a day with countless terabytes of operations (not gaming, mostly anime).
I can only assume that people that own a console also have a separate PC for doing other stuff, so much cheaper to consolidate that too. Then you've got all the privacy issues and OS restrictions that come with a console (not good to trust proprietary software any more than you trust a crackhead that's eyeing your wallet).
Mar 3, 2020 5:26 PM

Jul 2012
Lorescothe said:
GamerDLM said:

People need to buy new consoles because the specs are shit and you can't individually replace parts. Technology used for gaming is always edging forth, and the current PC games are already way ahead of what the current generation consoles can handle. Cheaper to buy a GPU that's worth less than $200 USD than to buy a whole new console.
My PC that I built back in 2013 was exactly the same cost in my country as an Xbox One was at launch in the US (despite the fact that shit is overpriced where I live). Compared to Xbone I had 4x the storage space (7200RPM vs Xbox One's 5400), same amount of memory, GPU has 186% more relative performance. 8 years later, I've only ever had one part break, and that was my hard drive on account of me using it 14+ hours a day with countless terabytes of operations (not gaming, mostly anime).
I can only assume that people that own a console also have a separate PC for doing other stuff, so much cheaper to consolidate that too. Then you've got all the privacy issues and OS restrictions that come with a console (not good to trust proprietary software any more than you trust a crackhead that's eyeing your wallet).

The specs rarely matter on consoles because they can play all games in their library regardless so individually replacing parts isn't a thing. That's like a major point of consoles that was already mentioned is the pure ease of access and setup because you just buy the system and you're done for like half a decade. $200 is also a bit of an iffy benchmark because for roughly the same price you could buy a Switch lite or for $100 more a regular Switch and you'd be set as long as Nintendo supports them.
A console having less storage space is hardly a comparing point because for like $60 you can get 2TB of space on an external hard drive and never need anymore. If you have enough money to afford 2 TB of games the price of a console barely matters. GPU being better only matters if you're purely a graphics whore but the fact that you will likely have to upgrade it for gaming anyway is more of a negative.
If you use a PC you probably should give up any notion about caring about privacy and all you're doing as one person mentioned is creating a single point of entertainment failure. I have no idea what you're referencing with OS restriction so I'm going to assume nobody cares about that. If something catastrophic happens and my PC goes down at least I have hundreds of hours I could sink into my PS4 and if there's a power outage at least I have handhold consoles to last me for a day and a laptop to handle another day if things get really desperate.
GamerDLMMar 3, 2020 5:29 PM
Mar 3, 2020 5:40 PM

Nov 2019
JunkYardHiro said:
You'd be hard pressed to build a PC that has comparable specs to the upcoming Xbox or PS5 in the console price range.

For 500$ or so you're getting a system capable of playing games in 4k and 8k.
Exclusives and ease of use drive the demand for consoles. Some people want to kick back and play games on their sofa or in their bed in a streamlined way. There are too many steps when trying to do that on a PC.

For $500 you can most certainly get in the ballpark. It's essentially a Ryzen 5 3600 + 5700(XT), and with the code name Navi 10LITE data-mined out of Sony presentation material it makes me think it's closer to a 5500 than 5700. A 5500 can do 4K@60 on Medium-low settings in current AAA titles, while 5700 can get right onto 60FPS n High usually.

For an R5 3600 + RX 5500, you're looking at $400. You can certainly fit a mobo, ram, etc into there in another $200 and be set. For a 5700 you're looking at only an extra $100; so basically you can get it in about $700 and for illustration the PS3 launched at $600 while the PS4 launched at around $400 and has stayed around $300 by being effectively subsidised by players paying premiums for Plus and higher game costs in this generation. It also was far behind technologically speaking when it was launched using a refreshed AMD SoC chip. Zen 2/Navi is not going to be cheap even if they shuffle some of the cost burden onto service subscribers. And with that form factor, you're gonna have to worry about thermal throttling eating up some performance margins that a traditional PC tower doesn't need to worry about.

All said and done, unless you need the PS5 exclusives it makes far more sense to get a solid PC with similar specs and there is virtually no price difference (theoretically).
Mar 3, 2020 7:27 PM
Jul 2018
GamerDLM said:
Lorescothe said:

The specs rarely matter on consoles because they can play all games in their library regardless so individually replacing parts isn't a thing. That's like a major point of consoles that was already mentioned is the pure ease of access and setup because you just buy the system and you're done for like half a decade. $200 is also a bit of an iffy benchmark because for roughly the same price you could buy a Switch lite or for $100 more a regular Switch and you'd be set as long as Nintendo supports them.
A console having less storage space is hardly a comparing point because for like $60 you can get 2TB of space on an external hard drive and never need anymore. If you have enough money to afford 2 TB of games the price of a console barely matters. GPU being better only matters if you're purely a graphics whore but the fact that you will likely have to upgrade it for gaming anyway is more of a negative.
If you use a PC you probably should give up any notion about caring about privacy and all you're doing as one person mentioned is creating a single point of entertainment failure. I have no idea what you're referencing with OS restriction so I'm going to assume nobody cares about that. If something catastrophic happens and my PC goes down at least I have hundreds of hours I could sink into my PS4 and if there's a power outage at least I have handhold consoles to last me for a day and a laptop to handle another day if things get really desperate.

The specs do matter, because you're being restricted on what games you can play, and at what capacity. Most multiplatform games are much better on PC, precisely because of the better hardware capabilities. Sure, you could buy a switch lite, if you're a manchild who wants to play mostly shitty exclusives on a tiny screen. You've also got less options for free games, which you have on PC.
I'd rather have my 2TB without having to pay an extra $60. I've got 4.5 TB of storage, and that shit can easily fill up.
"GPU being better only matters if you're a graphics whore" wew, that's some stupid shit if I ever heard it. I can appreciate a game with low-tech graphics, but completely ignoring everything with high-graphics just makes you look like a moron.
"the fact that you will likely have to upgrade it for gaming anyway is more of a negative" If you're a console user, you'd literally have to buy a whole new console instead of just replacing the GPU. Like I've already said, it's cheaper to buy a new graphics card than whatever the cost of the new xbox or ps5 will be at launch.
"If you use a PC you probably should give up any notion about caring about privacy" - buddy, linux grants you the opportunity for absolute privacy. Even with windows 7 you can get absolute privacy if you try. As for Ps4 or Xbone? Nothing you can do about their privacy policies.
The fact that you have no idea what I'm talking about with the OS restriction thing speaks a lot. The point is, I can customise my PC however I want, while you're stuck with a shitbox filled with bloatware that sends your tiny dick pics to microsoft.
Mar 3, 2020 7:39 PM

Aug 2009
Lorescothe said:
Sure, you could buy a switch lite, if you're a manchild who wants to play mostly shitty exclusives on a tiny screen.

I appreciate you vouching for PC gaming, but...

https://i.imgur.com/FoGsms3.jpg

I kinda take issue with certain remakes.

Can we all just get along?

Mar 3, 2020 7:48 PM

Jul 2012
Lorescothe said:
GamerDLM said:

The specs do matter, because you're being restricted on what games you can play, and at what capacity. Most multiplatform games are much better on PC, precisely because of the better hardware capabilities. Sure, you could buy a switch lite, if you're a manchild who wants to play mostly shitty exclusives on a tiny screen. You've also got less options for free games, which you have on PC.
I'd rather have my 2TB without having to pay an extra $60. I've got 4.5 TB of storage, and that shit can easily fill up.
"GPU being better only matters if you're a graphics whore" wew, that's some stupid shit if I ever heard it. I can appreciate a game with low-tech graphics, but completely ignoring everything with high-graphics just makes you look like a moron.
"the fact that you will likely have to upgrade it for gaming anyway is more of a negative" If you're a console user, you'd literally have to buy a whole new console instead of just replacing the GPU. Like I've already said, it's cheaper to buy a new graphics card than whatever the cost of the new xbox or ps5 will be at launch.
"If you use a PC you probably should give up any notion about caring about privacy" - buddy, linux grants you the opportunity for absolute privacy. Even with windows 7 you can get absolute privacy if you try. As for Ps4 or Xbone? Nothing you can do about their privacy policies.
The fact that you have no idea what I'm talking about with the OS restriction thing speaks a lot. The point is, I can customise my PC however I want, while you're stuck with a shitbox filled with bloatware that sends your tiny dick pics to microsoft.

Only for PC, again consoles can play any game in their library with no notable issues. If anything the PC port is often more likely to run worse or require higher specs than the console variant and the only benefit is maybe a minor graphics tweak if your system can handle it. "Mostly shitty exclusives" is where I just have to say you're wrong and that's also why I included the full console price of $300 and you can play it on whatever screen you want. Free games doesn't make much of a difference if I'll never play over half of them. They just end up clogging library space and often require me to be actively following several different services to make the most of it.
In a PS4 or Xbox you'll rarely need more than the 1TB storage space that's available in their current version systems. Even with a release day PS4 I didn't fill up the space on it until like 3 years after it released and I really got into digital titles through their subscription services. But you highlighted an issue with PC which is storage management because it's competing for resources with every other activity you do.
Who ever said ignoring high end graphics? I would more say that there's a common elitist mindset where people believe that a game has to be in 1080p or 60fps or its basically unplayable and unwatchable. Where to me on a console a game at 720p and 30fps looks essentially the same and I'm still playing an intended experience for the game.
Again you will never need to buy a new console to get a better GPU to play a game, literally the only time that has happened was the the New 3DS and Xenoblade Chronicles and it was the only worthwhile game that ever did that (and it was more specifically because it didn't have a powerful enough CPU in the base model to play a Wii port). Most console generations include different developer kits and architecture which games are built around to run optimally.
Buying a new piece of hardware every 5 to 10 years is standard no matter what route you go, if the only upgrade you think you'll need say 7 years in is slapping in a new GPU enjoy your games running like garbage.
You give up aspects of privacy the minute you connect to the internet no matter what system you use which is more my point. There's no such thing as absolute privacy. Like literally who cares?
The last part still literally sounds like a made up issue, I'd rather have something that requires almost no effort to set up than something I have to customize to perform the basic functions I want.
GamerDLMMar 3, 2020 8:17 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» your video game waifu or husbando

deg - May 7

7 by Firwik_Howlo »»
38 minutes ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

29 by Firwik_Howlo »»
42 minutes ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Apr 25

6 by 13norts »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » thoughts on frame generation like fsr 3 and dlss 3?

deg - 2 hours ago

0 by deg »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you play GTA San Andreas? What's your most favorite San Andreas city or county?

IAmOdie - 3 hours ago

0 by IAmOdie »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.