Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 20, 2019 4:01 PM
Jul 2018
Is Date A Live super popular in japan? It has received more anime adaptations in a short span of time than most other harem anime. I don't think anyone outside of Japan even talks about this anime but it keeps receiving anime.
Oct 20, 2019 4:21 PM
Nov 2015
Date A Live is popular in Asia, especially in China. In the west it's barely talked about becuase harem, but the anime industry and publishers don't need the approval of the west to produce more anime of a certain series. So long there's enough support in their home country and nearby countries, such as China which is actually where Date A Live really excels, then they don't need anything else.
Oct 20, 2019 4:24 PM
Jul 2018
JonasDown said:
Date A Live is popular in Asia, especially in China. In the west it's barely talked about becuase harem, but the anime industry and publishers don't need the approval of the west to produce more anime of a certain series. So long there's enough support in their home country and nearby countries, such as China which is actually where Date A Live really excels, then they don't need anything else.
JonasDown said:
Yeah true. Just adding this to fill up the word count
Oct 20, 2019 4:29 PM
Nov 2015
SlayerOfWaifus69 said:
JonasDown said:
JonasDown said:
Yeah true. Just adding this to fill up the word count

Yeah, so it's actually getting two anime this time. This spin-off and season 4. They're really going all out.
Oct 23, 2019 5:23 AM

Feb 2012
JonasDown said:

That's interesting. Aside from first hand knowledge, where do you get information like that? I'm interested to know more information about where and how anime are received by other parts of the world. The English anime community has some pretty annoying bullshit.
Oct 23, 2019 7:21 AM

Aug 2010
It's not that popular in Japan nowadays. The only character you still see sometimes in stores and conventions is Kurumi, and even then the series has been long overtaken by Gotoubun no Hanayome in the harem genre.
My YouTube channel, where I do unboxings and show off my anime collection, merchandise, and other swag:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TCTriangle
Oct 23, 2019 5:50 PM
Nov 2015
TCTriangle said:
It's not that popular in Japan nowadays. The only character you still see sometimes in stores and conventions is Kurumi, and even then the series has been long overtaken by Gotoubun no Hanayome in the harem genre.

Japan couldn't care less about Date A Live at this point, that's why I said China. Hell, even it's more popular in Korea, Vietnam and some parts of America than in Japan itself. But it's in China where they really have a grip of the series. They're making more anime for the chinese especially, Japan is only a minor extra cash to the producers by now becuase the target audience of Date A Live is China now.
Gotoubun is riding on the popularity wave so it's understandable.
Oct 23, 2019 5:56 PM
Nov 2015
Zei33 said:
JonasDown said:

That's interesting. Aside from first hand knowledge, where do you get information like that? I'm interested to know more information about where and how anime are received by other parts of the world. The English anime community has some pretty annoying bullshit.

It's not difficult to guess, mainly becuase Date A Live is non-existent in the west but the fact that is keeps getting more anime has to mean it has to be popular elsewhere. Also, since I'm a fan of the series, I follow it closely and I pretty much read every news related to it. Date A Live is really popular in China and they're the main reason it's getting more anime adaptations.
Oct 26, 2019 5:59 PM
Nov 2017
JonasDown said:
Zei33 said:

It's not difficult to guess, mainly becuase Date A Live is non-existent in the west but the fact that is keeps getting more anime has to mean it has to be popular elsewhere. Also, since I'm a fan of the series, I follow it closely and I pretty much read every news related to it. Date A Live is really popular in China and they're the main reason it's getting more anime adaptations.

What you’re saying is correct. However, here’s my concern. Who’s going to continue the season?
Nov 11, 2019 11:44 AM

Aug 2018
So is Date A Live more popular than Highschool DxD as well ??
Because I know Highschool DxD is one of the popular Light Novel Series out there
"When There Is Evil In This World That Justice Cannot Defeat, Would You Taint Your Hands With Evil To Defeat Evil? Or Would You Remain Steadfast And Righteous Even If It Means Surrendering To Evil?"
Dec 12, 2019 12:51 AM
Mar 2019
Imo, Date A Bullet will be more popular than Date A Live. Takes out the Harem aspect that detracts it from gaining a true worldwide audience, and also has the most popular and best character in Kurumi as the protagonist.

Date A Bullet seems to take the best parts of Date A Live and put them into their own series. If it's done well, I predict it will gain a much bigger following in North America than DAL ever has.
Mar 17, 2020 9:23 AM
Nov 2017
SlayerOfWaifus69 said:
Is Date A Live super popular in japan? It has received more anime adaptations in a short span of time than most other harem anime. I don't think anyone outside of Japan even talks about this anime but it keeps receiving anime.

There’s so many more harems I’d give a new season to over this and ofc I biased like a MF but smartphone, 100, new devil sister, Campione for sure, Vanadis, trinity seven, dxd, and I wouldn’t mind death march to name a few but maybe 3 of those even has a 10% chance
Mar 17, 2020 9:26 AM
Nov 2017
randumo24 said:
Imo, Date A Bullet will be more popular than Date A Live. Takes out the Harem aspect that detracts it from gaining a true worldwide audience, and also has the most popular and best character in Kurumi as the protagonist.

Date A Bullet seems to take the best parts of Date A Live and put them into their own series. If it's done well, I predict it will gain a much bigger following in North America than DAL ever has.
randumo24 said:

Now that I read a little ahead for the protagonist bc I thought the series was over idc about this show anymore unless they skip to the end bc the fillers will be BS
Mar 18, 2020 4:40 PM
Mar 2019
L-Mo-Reppin said:
randumo24 said:

randumo24 said:

Now that I read a little ahead for the protagonist bc I thought the series was over idc about this show anymore unless they skip to the end bc the fillers will be BS

Why would there be fillers? DAL is ridiculously far ahead of the anime, and DAB has enough for 2 seasons right now.
Mar 20, 2020 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
It's pretty popular everywhere... If you look for Kurumi Tokisaki (or variations on Steam for people who have the pfp/name/themed profiles in some way), you'll find over 9000 profiles, which beats out pretty much every major non dragonball character, and even stuff like Light Yagami from Death Note by far... People are also still finding out about it from the games that release, such as Ren Dystopia coming pretty soon.

shameless self promotion, I even own the KurumiTokisaki profile URL on Steam, XD https://steamcommunity.com/id/KurumiTokisaki/

And that's just one character, there's still like 1400+ Tohka profiles and what not.
Sep 28, 2020 12:01 PM
Jun 2017
L-Mo-Reppin said:
SlayerOfWaifus69 said:

There’s so many more harems I’d give a new season to over this and ofc I biased like a MF but smartphone, 100, new devil sister, Campione for sure, Vanadis, trinity seven, dxd, and I wouldn’t mind death march to name a few but maybe 3 of those even has a 10% chance

Date a live is 10 times better than half of the series you named here lol
Sep 29, 2020 12:36 AM
Nov 2017
swinger235 said:
L-Mo-Reppin said:

Date a live is 10 times better than half of the series you named here lol

If u say so but I’d rather there be actual development in the relationship department
Sep 30, 2020 10:11 PM

May 2018
The Light novel was still selling well in Japan when it was over, and so were the spinoffs. It's a very popular story all over the world
Oct 2, 2020 10:21 PM
Aug 2018
SlayerOfWaifus69 said:

The Date A Live gatcha game is big in China. They basically funded this so that they could introduce more characters in the game. Hence you see the ad for the game at the end of DAB part 1.
Nov 14, 2020 9:04 AM
Jan 2018
The last time I checked the DAL LN was still selling pretty decent before it ended
Nov 14, 2020 9:21 AM
Dec 2017
date a live has its popularity in Asia certainly and it does have its following in otaku circles in Japan

Feb 1, 2021 8:30 AM

Nov 2019
DAL has a very strong following especially among those who have read the last volumes of the novel. Characters like Kurumi are even known to people who haven't heard of DAL. So SEA and Japan have a dedicated fanbase. Also the attractive character art (Thanks, Tsunako!) demands attention.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Mar 31, 2022 7:44 PM

Mar 2021
Dal iv is already the 6th most anticipated anime for the spring 2022 on MAL,5 on other sites, and has a far bigger footprint on the anime industry than any of the currently airing spring 2022 anime.

Dal got a huge jump in merchandise after dal iii with more consistent animes and merchandise in between than konosuba and overlord. It was the only 3 animes with exclusive panels at the kadokawa light novel expo. It is pretty clear dal will go down as the most well received and successful harem of all time.

Only thing that can really hurt is if tachibana chooses to end the anime. But he wont since he is barely far in kings proposal and dal is very close to a conclusion.
Mar 31, 2022 8:29 PM

Nov 2017
i dunno about japan, but i'm pretty sure it's huge on spanish speaking country, since whenever i watch a video about Date a Live there's many spanish user out there, but it's kinda interesting tho and i thought Date a Live was banned in China in 2015
Apr 4, 2022 8:05 PM

Mar 2021
Ban got lifted.

Date a live is one of the only few series that is making kadokawa money at this point. It has exceeded like 90%+ of animes in merchandise especially high end. If date a live fails, fantasia bunko fails, and kadokawa will axe a bunch of smaller series. It is considered a phenomenally rare series that has high viewership and insane merchandising deals. And date a live is fundemntally a harem. Kurumi may surpass rem in number of high end figure variants. Tsunako's designs make the figures highly desireable.

Even big anime fail hard when it comes to merchandising which is like 2nd in importance to success. Shows like blue exorcist may have high viewership and attract shonen viewers but aniplex ultimately dropped them since they were expensive and failed to make merchandising moneu.

Relatively, series was always bigger outside japan. If you check sanada, nomizu, and togashi's social media, many comments are from outside japan. Even jp viewers are shocked how big dal is outside japan.

The big issue is that harem anime has not been doing well recently in japan. Dxd lost a lot of sales and may have its anime cancelled. Jump's bokuben barely made headlines. Gotouben will probably crash in popularity after the movie. Fantasia rebuild got cancelled. All these harems failed to move successfully migrate to merchandise since streaming killed disc sales. Date a live defied this trend.
icefirestone23Apr 7, 2022 1:54 PM
Jun 5, 2022 7:40 AM
Jun 2022
"Kurumi may surpass rem in number of high end figure variants. "

I've seen this claim elsewhere but find no support for it, at least in the U.S.

I attended one of the country's largest anime conventions (Anime Central) just a couple of weeks ago and looked at basically every figure anyone had for sale in the huge dealer's room. I found the reverse to be the case: Rem figma outnumbered Kurumi figma at least 10-1 in variety and way, way more than that in volume. (In fact, only a couple of dealers had any Kurumi figma at all, whereas nearly every dealer with a decent-sized inventory had Rem figma.) The comparison was, admittedly, closer on high-end figma (which I define as over $100), but Kurumi had basically no lower-end stuff. Saw little to no representation of her in the rather large Artist's Alley, either. A handful of other DAL characters - Tohka, Shido, Yoshino, and maybe one other - had one-shot appearances, so Kurumi is the clearly the one from the series that people care about. However, she's nowhere near in Rem's league yet.
Jul 13, 2022 3:49 AM
Mar 2016
I read a forum people talking about Date a live is not popular in japan anymore but in china is huge popular with date a live. I heard from the forum they said in japan the popular harem now is The Quintessential Quintuplet.
Jul 13, 2022 3:50 AM
Mar 2016
by the way, is harem no longer popular or something?

edited: anime harem back in old day is pretty much dead. I'm so glad that date a live is still live until now and upcoming S5. harem anime I used to like back in old day like high school dxd, infinite stratos, heaven lost properties, sekirei are all dead and doesn't seem like anyone is reviving it.
Aug 3, 2022 2:28 PM

Mar 2021
Considering it topped anime cornee which is most north maerica audience and the apirit pledge page for jp is at half a million followers, and still lots of scales announced, popular worldwide

More topics from this board

» Female (only) anime viewers Reviews on Tokisaki Kurumi.

Zark_42 - Apr 20

0 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 3:16 PM

Poll: » Date A Bullet: Dead or Bullet Episode 1 Discussion

Syureria - Sep 30, 2020

40 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jan 1, 2023 6:28 PM

» New Visual and Details Out!

_MushiRock11_ - Mar 21, 2020

22 by sjuey735 »»
Aug 12, 2022 2:43 AM

» Kurumi best girl

deVaux23 - Feb 9, 2021

11 by Leonhart93 »»
Jun 23, 2022 9:49 AM

» Question for LN/Manga readers or anime watcher(spoiler)

BlueWaze - Oct 17, 2021

6 by BlueWaze »»
Oct 17, 2021 7:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.