Forum Settings
Forums

Are anime haters more intelligent in general?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 28, 2019 12:58 PM

Feb 2018
SAO is the worst overrated shit garbage

4000 IQ
Sep 28, 2019 1:00 PM

Mar 2018
That's a no. Just because you hate on something doesn't mean you are more intelligent than the ones partaking in it.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 28, 2019 1:31 PM
Aug 2016
No, they aren't.
Probably those certain people who tried to defend anime were just dumb.
Sep 28, 2019 1:36 PM

Jun 2017
real smart people wouldn't waste their time watching something they hate.

Sep 28, 2019 10:59 PM

Jun 2011
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Ahegyao said:
I've seen internet arguments about why anime sucks and most of the time the haters win out in the logic game while the counterarguments to defend anime are mostly ones that are generated out of a middle schooler's mind at best. Would you say that anime haters just have a better wit than anime lovers as a whole?
What kinds of "arguments about why anime sucks" and "counterarguments to defend anime" have you heard? How do the former "win out in the logic game" over the second group?

I find both judgements suspect because "anime sucks" and "defending anime" seem like really broad statements of opinion that are very much dependent on personal preferences. As such, there's really no "correct" logic here, since people use different logical bases for their tastes.

For starters, they have the benefit of mass perception of anime on their side and judging by how their rhetorical skills as others have mentioned are much more complex than the fans, to most outsiders who don't particularly have any vested interest in anime or its culture, the haters would come off as eloquent and persuasive. Also, anime haters are often passionate in their hate and that sort of pathos really helps swing to their side of the pendulum.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
Ahegyao said:

Putting aside the ironic tone in this post, yeah the anime lovers are already in a bad position trying to argue against this.
Even if I assume this is true (and it is not, or at best it is a value judgement and not an absolute truth), moral degeneracy still isn't the same thing as intelligence.

Ahegyao said:

Well, anime haters come in all flavors, a lot of them also have avatars that feature philosophers, superheroes or European lore for example. Quite a lot of them have this nihilstic mindset that can point out all the bullshit that put them off of anime and the people who like it. It's the INTJ in them speaking out.

You can interpret it as bait. I'm not stopping you, but I'm just trying to spark up a Big Elephant in the room discussion.
And a lot of them have no avatars, or animal or plant avatars, or avatars from other entertainment, or just photos of themselves, or a huge variety of other things.

Also, anyone can Google search "Aristotle" and download an image. Simply having a philosopher avatar means nothing. Heck, even spouting philosophical quotes means nothing by itself. Don't mistake that for intelligence. Particularly if it's just a part of a social act.

also

> implying that nihilism is a good thing

> actually thinking the Myers-Briggs Type Inventory is worth more than just trivia

While I do agree with the lack of correlation between morality and intelligence, the nuance is lost to most laymen so we simply have to level with their mental capacities.

About avatars, you won't see much unironic haters sporting anime avatars at least. You can't deny even on this site that the biggest anime critics try to present themselves as intelligentsia bourgeoisie and what better way to convey that on the internet other than "high brow" avatars and signatures?

Not implying nihilism is good or cool (I don't either imo). Just pointing out a general trait anime haters share.

I admit a lot of pseudo science is at play here, but given the lack of serious research on otaku subculture, gotta make do with what out's there.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Sep 28, 2019 11:10 PM
Jan 2015
Well trying to argue/debate something that's completely subjective as being fact is not very intelligent to begin with, so no I wouldn't say they are. They're just trying to be intellectuals, but in reality they're just assholes trying to belittle stuff they don't understand along with the people who like it.
-MahesvaraSep 28, 2019 11:14 PM
My Queens

Sep 28, 2019 11:11 PM

Sep 2019
Arguing with haters is the same thing as which side of war is good or evil:

There is no right or wrong. Opinions are subjective, therefore there will be always someone thinking the oposite of you
Sep 28, 2019 11:18 PM

Oct 2017
Well in my experience it's the opposite anime haters tend to be very emotionally driven and close minded. So what great logical arguments have they presented on why anime is such a horrible media? At the end of the day this is just generalizations. People aren't more intelligent because they consume one form of media or another nor if they dislike it. Even taking anime as a monolith and making universal statements about it is ridiculous how can you judge a show like Mushishi and MHA under the same perspective.

@Esquirtit

You might want to rethink using the term degenerate art if your using it unironically considering where that term came from. Also why are using anime/manga a mostly niche medium to draw vast opinions on Japan as a whole. Are you just trolling? Also praising AnimeSnob a legit terrible human being okay.....
BilboBaggins365Sep 28, 2019 11:45 PM
Sep 29, 2019 1:16 AM

May 2009
Ahegyao said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
What kinds of "arguments about why anime sucks" and "counterarguments to defend anime" have you heard? How do the former "win out in the logic game" over the second group?

I find both judgements suspect because "anime sucks" and "defending anime" seem like really broad statements of opinion that are very much dependent on personal preferences. As such, there's really no "correct" logic here, since people use different logical bases for their tastes.

For starters, they have the benefit of mass perception of anime on their side and judging by how their rhetorical skills as others have mentioned are much more complex than the fans, to most outsiders who don't particularly have any vested interest in anime or its culture, the haters would come off as eloquent and persuasive. Also, anime haters are often passionate in their hate and that sort of pathos really helps swing to their side of the pendulum.
I'm not sure who "they" are, but assuming you mean anime haters, well, the "mass perception of anime" is more like "it's Japanese cartoons that kids and teens are into and the rest of us don't really care much about it", rather than "anime sucks donkey balls".

Being "passionate" could be said about people who like anime too. Besides, the usual tone of anime haters isn't so much "passion" as "disdain".

Ahegyao said:
About avatars, you won't see much unironic haters sporting anime avatars at least. You can't deny even on this site that the biggest anime critics try to present themselves as intelligentsia bourgeoisie and what better way to convey that on the internet other than "high brow" avatars and signatures?
Except if they're on this site they are someone who's not just hating on anime from outside the fandom but know enough of it themselves to do stuff like "oh I'm going to praise LOGTH because it'll make me look sophisticated".

Ahegyao said:
Not implying nihilism is good or cool (I don't either imo). Just pointing out a general trait anime haters share.
"A nihilistic mindset that can point out all the bullshit" can easily come off as nitpicking instead of intelligent. In fact, if someone's applying such an attitude toward anime, chances are that someone who doesn't know anime is going to tune them out since they've probably started rambling about details that non-fans don't care about.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 30, 2019 1:29 AM

Jun 2011
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I'm not sure who "they" are, but assuming you mean anime haters, well, the "mass perception of anime" is more like "it's Japanese cartoons that kids and teens are into and the rest of us don't really care much about it", rather than "anime sucks donkey balls".

Being "passionate" could be said about people who like anime too. Besides, the usual tone of anime haters isn't so much "passion" as "disdain".

From what I can tell, apathy usually sides with negativity. It takes much more effort to defend something they don't care about so they would certainly opt for the path of least resistance. It also doesn't help that being negative has been in vogue ever since the turn of the century.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
Except if they're on this site they are someone who's not just hating on anime from outside the fandom but know enough of it themselves to do stuff like "oh I'm going to praise LOGTH because it'll make me look sophisticated".

Which is why they would gravitate towards to the haters, because their beliefs and opinions align with them despite enjoying anime albeit only a few. A couple of posters in this thread have declared this stance.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
"A nihilistic mindset that can point out all the bullshit" can easily come off as nitpicking instead of intelligent. In fact, if someone's applying such an attitude toward anime, chances are that someone who doesn't know anime is going to tune them out since they've probably started rambling about details that non-fans don't care about.

The same effect can be said for the fanboy dumping a bunch of esoteric trivia and reasonings why he loves anime, but like I said earlier the less initiated would gravitate towards the naysayer by virtue of anime's rather "cringy" image in the mainstream.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Sep 30, 2019 2:14 AM

Nov 2017
It doesn't seem they're smarter, just that they have an easier time appearing smart.
Sep 30, 2019 2:16 AM

Oct 2018
Hating anime/someone who likes something you don't=not accepting the (opinion) difference between others=/=intelligence.
Sep 30, 2019 3:20 AM

May 2018
-Aincrad- said:
Hating anime/someone who likes something you don't=not accepting the (opinion) difference between others=/=intelligence.

Are you saying the hating on some anime automagically means that you hate it's fans?
Like immediately on a personal level...not only disagreeing with that certain opinion of theirs?
Sep 30, 2019 3:26 AM

Oct 2018
alshu said:
-Aincrad- said:

Are you saying the hating on some anime automagically means that you hate it's fans?
Like immediately on a personal level...not only disagreeing with that certain opinion of theirs?

I'm not sure how you managed to make this out of my reply, but no, that's not what I was saying at all.

I was saying that if someone can't simply accept that people have different tastes and opinions, that person can't be an intelligent one.

Like: "wow this person thinks different than me, how dumb he can be"-does this imply that the person is intelligent?
Sep 30, 2019 3:30 AM

May 2018
-Aincrad- said:

I'm not sure how you managed to make this out of my reply

Grouping "hating anime", "someone" and "opinion".
Like how hating some anime is not accepting opinions other than the ones of the authors?
Sep 30, 2019 3:50 AM

Sep 2019
They are nothing more then normies I just ignore them.
Sep 30, 2019 9:11 AM
Jun 2019
Ahegyao said:
I've seen internet arguments about why anime sucks and most of the time the haters win out in the logic game while the counterarguments to defend anime are mostly ones that are generated out of a middle schooler's mind at best. Would you say that anime haters just have a better wit than anime lovers as a whole?

I have never in my entire life seen any shred or even hint of logic in an argument against anime. The best thing I have gotten is 'but that character is loud that's why..', as if volume control did not exist.

Fans are naturally more emotionally invested than haters and won't keep as calm on their comment, that is all.
Sep 30, 2019 9:17 AM

May 2009
Ahegyao said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

From what I can tell, apathy usually sides with negativity. It takes much more effort to defend something they don't care about so they would certainly opt for the path of least resistance. It also doesn't help that being negative has been in vogue ever since the turn of the century.
Apathy only sides with negativity when the positivity side tries to force their thing on them. If the negative side tries to force their thing on them, apathy usually sides with positivity. In short, apathy sides with "make this annoying thing go away".

Ahegyao said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Which is why they would gravitate towards to the haters, because their beliefs and opinions align with them despite enjoying anime albeit only a few. A couple of posters in this thread have declared this stance.
But people who are apathetic about anime wouldn't hang out on this site. They wouldn't be receptive to the meme of "liking LOGTH makes you sophisticated".

Ahegyao said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

The same effect can be said for the fanboy dumping a bunch of esoteric trivia and reasonings why he loves anime, but like I said earlier the less initiated would gravitate towards the naysayer by virtue of anime's rather "cringy" image in the mainstream.
It would depend more so on what the "less initiated" person's exposure is. If their experience is "managing that stupid thing that kids do", then yes, but if their experience is "I've seen stuff like this when I was a kid" then they might be more open to it, even if it is an otherwise-annoying trivia-dump.

Also at this point your argument has shifted from "anime haters are more intelligent" to "anime haters look better to the apathetic".
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

5 by nishant0 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 1 hour ago

6 by Serafos »»
5 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 4 hours ago

10 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

67 by AzafuseKingTora »»
9 minutes ago

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

41 by Maou_heika »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.