Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 23, 2019 11:26 AM

Dec 2017
I know a lot of LN/Manga fans are unhappy at this adaptation, and I don't blame them, because even having never read the source material myself, I can tell it's clearly being butchered to high heaven. But the more of this show I watch, the more I wonder if a competent production might actually have made Arifureta WORSE off than this slapdash mess.

See, I think the Arifureta anime is bad in two different ways. On one hand, it's bad because the production is a mess. The CG is awful, the pacing is shot to shit, editing and cinematography are incomprehensible, it's just a trainwreck. On the other hand, it's bad because the story itself is bad. The characters are shallow and annoying, the plot meanders aimlessly, there are no dramatic stakes because the MC is crazy overpowered, and it's blatantly an edgelord power fantasy for people who want to be the coolest mofo in the room, get all the pussy, raise a middle finger to the Society, Man(tm), etc etc. One's a fault of the adaptation and one's inherent to the original story.

The thing is, the production failures are bad in an ENTERTAINING way for me. I love how doofy and ridiculous the CG monsters all look and how lazy the fight scenes all are, so every moment that tries to be cool ends up feeling like a Powerpoint presentation. I have SUCH a good time with how poorly put together this show is on a technical level. The story failures, though? Those are just bad in a bad way for me. It's whenever this show is at its most "competent"- when the production isn't fucking anything up and events play mostly straight- that I feel the aggravation start setting in. With nothing to distract me from how crap the writing is, it just becomes insufferable. It's only when Arifureta is failing at life so spectacularly that it's entertaining for me.

And I can't help but think that in a version of this show that were actually basically competently put together all the way through, there would be nothing to distract from how groan-inducing the dialogue is, how flat and empty the characters are, how annoying the cheap harem bait is, how obnoxious Hajime's edgelord shtick is. If the Arifureta anime were "better", it would only mean there would be no obscuring how much WORSE the story actually is. It's only because the anime is so bad at everything that it's able to be entertaining in spite of itself.

What do you think? Would a "competent" adaptation of Arifureta actually be of more value than this entertaining trainwreck?
Sep 23, 2019 8:52 PM

Jul 2014
Yes. I get that feel. It's so bad that it ends up being fun to watch.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

383 by Rishabh1348 »»
Mar 5, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2019

103 by TsunamiYT »»
Mar 2, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2019

173 by Seabury »»
Jan 14, 6:51 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2019

158 by Seabury »»
Jan 13, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2019

171 by Mizangrh »»
Dec 26, 2023 8:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.