Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 22, 2019 1:34 PM

Jul 2015
The main voice actor displayed for a character is often very misleading. From my understanding, if two voice actors play the same character, the more popular one is flagged as the "main" one. For example, Naya Rokurou plays Sensui in Yu Yu Hakusho, but there's 2 brief flashbacks where Ishida Akira plays a younger version of him. These scenes total only a few minutes, but he's still flagged as the main voice actor because he has more favorites.

I think the site needs a way to manually flag the "main" actor to display on the show's database.
Sep 22, 2019 3:03 PM

May 2016
I'm not sure it's based on favorites but maybe who's credited first or who acts first in the anime (which sometimes determines credit order)?

For example, in the Chihayafuru franchise, Arata is voiced by Terasaki Yuka and Hosoya Yoshimasa. Terasaki has far fewer favorites, but she appears as the "main" voice actor in the first two series. I imagine this is because, at least in the first series, much of initial content was of the characters as children. I don't remember if this is the case in the second series. In the upcoming third Chihayafuru series, the main voice actor is instead listed as Hosoya even though the same two voice actors will be voicing Arata.

It's still confusing, but there's probably some actual meritable method to it rather than using irrelevant MAL likes, and it's probably difficult to either determine who has the most acting time throughout a series or rework the UI of the character list to display all of the relevant voice actors for a character.
Sep 23, 2019 2:48 AM

Jun 2017
This problem is not because "more favorites"; It's because of voice actor's id (https://myanimelist.net/people/"XXXX"), the lower id (or the sooner added to database) is always shown as "main" voice actor despite being main or not
Sep 23, 2019 6:19 AM

Jun 2019
Same goes for what series they're from. Vegeta and Frieza for example may be in Dragon Ball GT, but I don't think a single person would answer that if you asked them what they're from.

Sep 23, 2019 6:21 AM

May 2016
mhkr said:
This problem is not because "more favorites"; It's because of voice actor's id (https://myanimelist.net/people/"XXXX"), the lower id (or the sooner added to database) is always shown as "main" voice actor despite being main or not

Read my example. In Chihayafuru 3, Hosoya is listed as the main voice actor for Arata despite his ID being thousands higher than Terasaki's. So, this contradicts your statement.
Sep 23, 2019 6:50 AM

Jun 2017
GoldenChrysus said:
mhkr said:

Read my example. In Chihayafuru 3, Hosoya is listed as the main voice actor for Arata despite his ID being thousands higher than Terasaki's. So, this contradicts your statement.
Dude, at least check Terasaki's MAL page. She hasn't added for Chihayafuru 3 but she is added in the first 2 seasons But Hosoya is added for all seasons

More topics from this board

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.