Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 21, 2019 7:57 AM

Aug 2017
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I'm kinda surprised that there are no discussions on this forum, so I'll create one. Each chapter "corresponds" to a volume in Viz media edition (12 in total) since there're no chapters in the manga.

This volume was my first exposure to Osamu Tezuka's work, and I honestly didn't expect it to be that huge (nearly 350 pages). It's significantly bigger than manga volumes this day. The only manga with a comparable amount of pages per volume I can think of is Akira.

To say something about the actual content, the story seems pretty vast. The style is very simplistic and kinda cartoonish, which is probably the reason Tezuka was so ridiculously productive. It remotely reminds me of Go Nagai's art style, although I'd say it's even more simplistic than his, which is unusual for me since I'm used to reading very realistic manga by Takehiko Inoue, Hirohiko Araki, Naoki Urasawa, Inio Asano and so on. I was not sure if I liked it at first, but then I made myself used to it. The cartoonish style contrasts with the actual content, which can be pretty serious (war and stuff). Another thing that may be worth mentioning is the amount of gags throughout the manga. There seem to be tons of references and jokes that don't make sense from the point of view of the characters (movies, James Bond and Zatoichi just didn't exist at that time), so I deduce that they're meant to be fun details for the readers, like a parody of Adolf Hitler by Himiko, or wolves drawn in ~10 different styles on one page, or a character breaking the divisiors between the panels, etc. Pretty creative, I should say.
The story itself seems to have roots in Japanese history and folklore, since there're several explanations of the historical context and some myths throught the volume that provide explanations for the events of the manga. I find it really admirable, it makes reading more exciting.

P.S. The way everybody in Hi no Tori holds and shoots a bow makes me facepalm :D This is so wrong
St0rmbladeSep 21, 2019 9:16 AM
Oct 5, 2019 12:16 PM
May 2019
My english is not good enough to explain my feeling to this manga, it got my 10 score soooo easy like a joke
There is only 1 arc I disliked, my favorite arc is Future, Ressurection, Karma, Life and Sun
Nov 25, 2020 3:31 PM
Jul 2015
The sneak attack and reaction (page 50 and 51) remind me of Vinland Saga.

More topics from this board

» Scanlations

VongolaXEspada - Jan 21, 2013

17 by Never_Know_Best »»
Feb 3, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Hi no Tori (1967) Chapter 4 Discussion

St0rmblade - Sep 27, 2019

3 by zech »»
Jan 25, 2:14 AM

» Arcs, Chapters and Volumes

alucinotronic - Jan 14

2 by alucinotronic »»
Jan 14, 6:08 PM

» ugh, stop with the God of Manga thing.

Kristiwazhere - Aug 4, 2019

21 by Sollals »»
May 2, 2023 5:51 AM

» New anime announced

AbelDande - Nov 30, 2022

7 by Preachee »»
Dec 2, 2022 2:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.