Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 16, 2019 11:02 PM

Dec 2012
More out of curiosity than necessity, on what premise does MaL calculate a single Manga or Light Novel Chapter / Volume?

Each individual has their own reading & processing speeds, so with this taken into consideration as well as other varying factors, what mathematical end result was given to the system to use?

In my case, I just finished the entire Index & Railgun anime series (Accelerator half-way done), and decided to continue to adaptation through the Light Novels. NT Volume 1, Chapter 1 personally took me about 30 minutes to finish. Procuring facial reactions during speeches, imagining the environment the characters currently reside in are just two explanations why chapter completion may vary.

Unlikely to match the system, I'm just curious how off my stats would be compared to real-life scenarios.
Aug 17, 2019 2:28 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
I explained how the manga stats are calculated here:
https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=97773

Exact calculations are not possible because people have different reading speeds and also some chapters/volumes are much longer than others. So the numbers are some average that Xinil decided on when he implemented it (also based on manga since back then we had basically no light lovels in the DB).

Manga and light novels are currently treated in the same way. There were plans to increase the numbers for light novels (because obviously it takes more time to read them compared to manga) but DeNA, the previous company that owned MAL, never made it a high priority to implement the change. It's still something we want, but at this point I can't say when our current company will implement it.

More topics from this board

» I can't use forums using Windows High Contrast anymore

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

2 by deg »»
6 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3372 by GARFIELDD666 »»
11 hours ago

» [Reported] Username being auto-pasted into search bar

DariTheWeeb - Feb 19

49 by DeadPiles »»
Yesterday, 6:03 PM

» IP ban glitch?

AverageRiceFan - Apr 21

2 by hich4n_ »»
Yesterday, 12:15 PM

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

127 by Spunkert »»
Yesterday, 6:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.