Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 1, 2019 10:28 AM

Jan 2017
I'm looking for something that feels like the first part of JoJo. What I want:

- Victorian Gothic or other atmospheric "vintage" setting.
- Classy, gentlemanly characters fighting the supernatural.
- Highly stylized aesthetics-wise.
- Not taking itself too seriously. The more absurdist the humor is, the better.
- Plenty of ove the top action.
- Even more violence and gore.
- True sense of rivalry between the protagonist and the antagonist.

Any year is fine. Post only recommendations with a conclusive ending. I don't feel like reading any manga right now. TIA.
Aug 3, 2019 8:45 AM

Jan 2017
Any ideas, anyone?
Aug 11, 2019 2:22 AM

Jan 2017
Gonna bump this one up once again. Maybe this time someone is going to come up with something...
Aug 11, 2019 2:55 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
I'd say Phantom Blood is pretty unique. That's probably the reason there's no recommendation yet, especially since you're very specific with what you want.

The closest I could think of is the Cain Series/God Child, but unfortunately, there's only a manga of it. Additionally, it's not very humorous.
Regarding anime, Pandora Hearts may be close to some of the aspects you're looking for, but that's also not covering everything you want.

It's not much, but I thought you deserve at least one response after almost 2 weeks.

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Aug 11, 2019 4:25 AM

Jun 2019
In many ways it's based off of Hokuto no Ken, but they're still hardly comparable in terms of setting and atmosphere.

However, it fits some of your other requirements. Gentleman hero, rivalry with some other characters through the story, a power similar to 'Hamon', lots of violence and gore, and it certainly doesn't take itself too seriously. Some of it feels very aged, especially the first arc or 2, but I'd recommend giving it a shot if it sounds good.

I see you have seen a special of it, so I don't know what your feelings on it are though.

Aug 11, 2019 11:31 AM

Jan 2017
Haptism93 said:
I'd say Phantom Blood is pretty unique. That's probably the reason there's no recommendation yet

If I had a dollar for each time I've heard someone say JoJo is unique and there's nothing like it, I'd be filthy rich right now. Seriously, what is it exactly that makes JoJo (especially the first two parts) so one-of-a-kind compared to other shonen anime, that supposedly makes it so hard for anyone to find titles similar to it?

Haptism93 said:
especially since you're very specific with what you want.

And I'd have double the amount of money if I got a dollar for every time I've heard that one as well. No matter how loose criteria I give, there always has to be someone telling me I'm way too specific. At this point, I have a feeling basically everything beyond "recommend me some good anime with romance" is being way too specific to most anime communities.

Well, anyway...

Haptism93 said:
The closest I could think of is the Cain Series/God Child, but unfortunately, there's only a manga of it. Additionally, it's not very humorous.

I can kinda see where you were coming from with that, but it seems completely different from JoJo tonally. I'm gonna add it to my list regardless, though, cause it sounds interesting. I might give it a read once I'm in the mood for manga again.

Haptism93 said:
Regarding anime, Pandora Hearts may be close to some of the aspects you're looking for, but that's also not covering everything you want.

Well, reading the reviews it sounds kinda close, but at the same time I don't know if it's something I'd want to watch, especially since you said it doesn't really cover my criteria. I'll see if anything else shows up and then consider it based on that.

NickRedMachine said:
In many ways it's based off of Hokuto no Ken, but they're still hardly comparable in terms of setting and atmosphere.

However, it fits some of your other requirements. Gentleman hero, rivalry with some other characters through the story, a power similar to 'Hamon', lots of violence and gore, and it certainly doesn't take itself too seriously. Some of it feels very aged, especially the first arc or 2, but I'd recommend giving it a shot if it sounds good.

I see you have seen a special of it, so I don't know what your feelings on it are though.

I think the rating I gave to those specials should reflect how I felt about them. Also, aside from those specials, I don't believe HnK has any sort of a good anime adaptation (and no, the Toei one isn't even close to being good) so even if I wanted to give it a shot, all I have is the manga.

Also, Hokuto no Ken humorous? That's a new one to me. If those specials are any sort of indicator, this series is about as deadpan serious as it gets.

Thanks for replying. If anyone has other recs, feel free to chime in. I'd really appreciate that.
ninja666Aug 11, 2019 11:41 AM
Aug 11, 2019 11:35 AM
Jul 2018
I know people don't count it as anime or whatever, but the Netflix Castlevania series is the best suggestion I can come up with.

It has everything you listed.
Aug 11, 2019 11:36 AM

Jan 2017
GreenSoap said:
I know people don't count it as anime or whatever, but the Netflix Castlevania series is the best suggestion I can come up with.

It has everything you listed.

Already seen it, but thanks anyway.

And before someone inevitably suggests it, I've seen both Vampire Hunter D movies as well.
Aug 11, 2019 11:40 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
ninja666 said:
Haptism93 said:
I'd say Phantom Blood is pretty unique. That's probably the reason there's no recommendation yet

If I had a dollar for each time I've heard someone say JoJo is unique and there's nothing like it, I'd be filthy rich right now. Seriously, what is it exactly that makes JoJo (especially the first two parts) so one-of-a-kind compared to other shonen anime, that supposedly makes it so hard for anyone to find titles similar to it?

Haptism93 said:
especially since you're very specific with what you want.

And I'd have double the amount of money if I got a dollar for every time I've heard that one as well. No matter how loose criteria I give, there always has to be someone telling me I'm way too specific. At this point, I have a feeling basically everything beyond "recommend me some good anime with romance" is being way too specific to most anime communities.

Well, anyway...

Haptism93 said:

I can kinda see where you were coming from with that, but it seems completely different from JoJo tonally. I'm gonna add it to my list regardless, though, cause it sounds interesting. I might give it a read once I'm in the mood for manga again.

Haptism93 said:

Well, reading the reviews it sounds kinda close, but at the same time I don't know if it's something I'd want to watch, especially since you said it doesn't really cover my criteria. I'll see if anything else shows up and then consider it based on that.

NickRedMachine said:

I think the rating I gave to those specials should reflect how I felt about them. Also, aside from those specials, I don't believe HnK has any sort of a good anime adaptation (and no, the Toei one isn't even close to being good) so even if I wanted to give it a shot, all I have is the manga.

Thanks for replying. If anyone has other recs, feel free to chime in. I'd really appreciate that.

Sorry if I offended you with anything I said, I just wanted to help because I felt bad that there were no responses after that long.

Despite me being an obvious JoJo fan, I could list a lot of things that are similar to JoJo (Part 3 onwards that is). However, at least Phantom Blood is something for which I didn't see anything similar to in any other shows. You said you wanted something that feels like it - I just responded that it feels unique in the way it is executed since I can't think of anything else right now and that this may be the reason that there aren't any responses.

Also, I didn't say that you are TOO specific. I said that you're very specific, so it's more difficult to recommend anything. No need to be rude about it, really... I saw that thread a while ago and put it under watch because I'm interested in that theme as well. Since there was nothing that fits your criteria to 100% as of now, I wanted to help at least a bit with something with a similar direction. Had I known to get a response like that, I probably wouldn't have said anything at all, sorry if it felt like I wasted your time.

You had no mercy for me
Love me mercilessly
Aug 11, 2019 11:49 AM

Jun 2019
I didn't say HnK was humorous. I said it doesn't take itself too serious. I wish you well in the rest of your search. :)

Aug 11, 2019 11:50 AM

Jan 2017
Haptism93 said:
Sorry if I offended you with anything I said, I just wanted to help because I felt bad that there were no responses after that long.

You didn't. I really shouldn't have gone off on you like that. It's just that I got annoyed by the same repeating pattern that occurs every time I try searching for anything similar to any Part of JoJo - I get no recommendations, just a bunch of people telling me how unique JoJo is and how there never existed an anime like it, and most likely never will, almost as if Araki was some sort of creative genius, and created something something so out of ordinary, nobody ever came up with something even remotely similar, forcing me to look for myself, as it seemed JoJo fans are too infatuated with their favourite series to notice it's not unique at all. It was just frustrating to see that kind of reply yet again, especially since it's happened to me more than a couple of times already.

Haptism93 said:
Also, I didn't say that you are TOO specific. I said that you're very specific, so it's more difficult to recommend anything. No need to be rude about it, really... I saw that thread a while ago and put it under watch because I'm interested in that theme as well. Since there was nothing that fits your criteria to 100% as of now, I wanted to help at least a bit with something with a similar direction. Had I known to get a response like that, I probably wouldn't have said anything at all, sorry if it felt like I wasted your time.

You didn't waste my time either Your recommendations were more of a miss than a hit, but at least you tried.. You gave me a cool-sounding manga to read at some other time, so it's definitely something.
ninja666Aug 11, 2019 11:54 AM
Aug 11, 2019 12:02 PM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
ninja666 said:
Haptism93 said:

You didn't. I really shouldn't have gone off on you like that. It's just that I got annoyed of the same repeating pattern that occurs every time I try searching for anything similar to any Part of JoJo - I get no recommendations, just a bunch of people telling me how unique JoJo is and how there never existed an anime like it, and most likely never will, almost as if Araki was some sort of creative genius, and created something something so out of ordinary, nobody ever came up with something even remotely similar, forcing me to look for myself, as it seemed JoJo fans are too infatuated with their favourite series to notice it's not unique at all. It was just frustrating to see that kind of reply yet again, especially since it's happened to me more than a couple of times already.

Haptism93 said:

You didn't waste my time either Your recommendations were more of a miss than a hit, but at least you tried.. You gave me a cool-sounding manga to read at some other time, so it's definitely something.

The thing I felt about Phantom Blood being "special" is probably just the combination of everything it offers. Like, you've seen rivalry and vampires thousands of time, as well as your typical shounen fights - nothing of it is new or unique per se, that's true. I don't even doubt that there are things similar to it since even Araki got some inspiration elsewhere. I didn't want to praise JoJo in this thread (especially since Phantom Blood is my least favorite part as I think it had some potentials send to waste and could have been even better), I was just looking for an explanation why nobody knew anything.

Good luck with the rest of your search, I hope there'll be some results in the end.

You had no mercy for me
Love me mercilessly
Aug 11, 2019 12:31 PM

Aug 2017
ninja666 said:
Any ideas, anyone?

Only Gungrave in my mind.
Aug 11, 2019 12:34 PM

Jan 2017
magaiverix said:
ninja666 said:
Any ideas, anyone?

Only Gungrave in my mind.

Care to explain in what way is it similar to Phantom Blood?
Aug 11, 2019 12:46 PM

Aug 2017
No explain no spoiler just watch it.
I am muted now.
Aug 16, 2019 4:51 AM

Jan 2017
Any other suggestions?
Sep 11, 2019 6:10 AM

Jan 2017
This is an old thread, but I'm still looking, so maybe right now somebody can come up with something.
Oct 13, 2022 1:55 PM
Oct 2015
ninja666 said:
This is an old thread, but I'm still looking, so maybe right now somebody can come up with something.

you sound like the biggest fucking cunt i've ever seen on this website lmao,
no wonder no one is responding to you

its stuff like this
", just a bunch of people telling me how unique JoJo is and how there never existed an anime like it, and most likely never will, almost as if Araki was some sort of creative genius, and created something something so out of ordinary, nobody ever came up with something even remotely similar, forcing me to look for myself, as it seemed JoJo fans are too infatuated with their favourite series to notice it's not unique at all. It was just frustrating to see that kind of reply yet again, especially since it's happened to me more than a couple of times already."

and all of your other comments asking about certain subjects is literally "no this is not acceptable, you must WORK for me to find exactly what I ENVISIOOOOOIN!!!!" while puting up extreme amounts of nitpicking to the point where you sound like and overtly conceited prick.

and its a shame really because its stuff like this that makes people not want to participate in threads like this, as some one who really loves jojo, gunnmu, dororo, dorohedoro, blame! and niheis works, gunnmu and other post cyberpunk stuff.

EVERY time i search if anyone talked about recommendations for any of these series, i get the SAME retard, who has no attention span nor taste. causing no one to reply after a while,
at this rate I will have to make the exact same threads on a different website.

More topics from this board

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - 9 hours ago

6 by silversaint »»
2 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

22 by windyshadow »»
3 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

33 by Donkunsan »»
3 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Apr 24

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
7 hours ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

7 by Tsuyatoash »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.