Forum Settings
Forums

Just seen the film, let's get a post viewing discussion thread going, what did y'all think?

Weathering With You
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 19, 2019 12:06 PM

Feb 2019
Goes without saying there will be spoilers.

My feet are still killing me from the trek from my house to Toho, but it was worth it. Always nice to meet up with and hang with other Otaku's. I really enjoyed the film and found it an interesting change of pace from Kimi No Na Wa and what Shinkai has led us to expect. I do wish the plot points were resolved a bit better, the CGI was done better and that the ending was not so abrupt, but overall I still really liked it and am looking forward to reading the LN tomorrow(need sleep lol).

Anyone else seen it? What did y'all think?
Jul 19, 2019 2:48 PM
Jul 2019
I haven't seen it but looking forward to Tenki no Ko. Good to hear that the film is good.

So about the abrupt ending, how bad is it? As much of a fan as I am of Shinkai's work I actually quite dislike his abrupt music video like endings (something he didn't do with Kimi no na Wa, which elevated it imo). How bad would you say is the abrupt ending in comparison to 5cm and Garden of Words?

Also where would you rank this alongside Shinkai's other films?
Jul 19, 2019 3:18 PM

Aug 2018
Superns18 said:

My feet are still killing me from the trek from my house to Toho, but it was worth it. Always nice to meet up with and hang with other Otaku's. I really enjoyed the film and found it an interesting change of pace from Kimi No Na Wa and what Shinkai has led us to expect. I do wish the plot points were resolved a bit better, the CGI was done better and that the ending was not so abrupt, but overall I still really liked it and am looking forward to reading the LN tomorrow(need sleep lol).

How exactly did u see this movie? The earliest release in the states that I could find were in mid-septemeber.
Jul 19, 2019 6:09 PM
Dec 2017
DemBananasFTW said:
Superns18 said:

How exactly did u see this movie? The earliest release in the states that I could find were in mid-septemeber.

I live in Japan and I watched it yesterday. As the first guy reviewed before, i got "disappointed" because i was expecting something like Kimi no na ha but at the same time as I live in Tokyo I really loved the art. They showed Tabata, Shinjuku, Famous buildings and stores in Shinjuku, Ginza, etc so it was so good to watch. Not everyone that uses internet lives in the US....
But anyway, the plot was quite good and realistic considering they show the "real" Tokyo and not the anime one, for example when he goes Ginza, people speaking to him that are drunk trying to take him to the bars even though that is more common in Kabukichou it was still fine.
NesKuiTJul 19, 2019 6:13 PM
Jul 19, 2019 6:20 PM

Feb 2019
SrirachaDreams said:
I haven't seen it but looking forward to Tenki no Ko. Good to hear that the film is good.

So about the abrupt ending, how bad is it? As much of a fan as I am of Shinkai's work I actually quite dislike his abrupt music video like endings (something he didn't do with Kimi no na Wa, which elevated it imo). How bad would you say is the abrupt ending in comparison to 5cm and Garden of Words?

Also where would you rank this alongside Shinkai's other films?

Its ending isn’t as abrupt as those, it’s close though! I’d rank it third after Kimi No Na Wa and Garden of Words personally
Jul 19, 2019 6:21 PM

Feb 2019
NesKuiT said:
DemBananasFTW said:

I live in Japan and I watched it yesterday. As the first guy reviewed before, i got "disappointed" because i was expecting something like Kimi no na ha but at the same time as I live in Tokyo I really loved the art. They showed Tabata, Shinjuku, Famous buildings and stores in Shinjuku, Ginza, etc so it was so good to watch. Not everyone that uses internet lives in the US....
But anyway, the plot was quite good and realistic considering they show the "real" Tokyo and not the anime one, for example when he goes Ginza, people speaking to him that are drunk trying to take him to the bars even though that is more common in Kabukichou it was still fine.

It’s funny I saw it at toho shinjuku and it the cinema was in the film lol, in fact everything in shinjuku was so that was a neat treat since I stay there
Jul 19, 2019 6:23 PM
Dec 2017
Superns18 said:
NesKuiT said:

It’s funny I saw it at toho shinjuku and it the cinema was in the film lol, in fact everything in shinjuku was so that was a neat treat since I stay there

Lol i was surprised when they showed Lumine, Ikebukuro Station, Parco etc so many good references plus the BOSS Machines everywhere. Nice, I watched it in Ueno but sadly they didnt show Ueno at all.
Jul 19, 2019 7:12 PM

Aug 2018
Superns18 said:
NesKuiT said:

Thanks for clarifying. Also I would've assumed you were japanese but ur bio said that ur from LA
Jul 19, 2019 8:38 PM

Feb 2019
DemBananasFTW said:
Superns18 said:

Thanks for clarifying. Also I would've assumed you were japanese but ur bio said that ur from LA

I’m all over these days, go to grad school at SC
Jul 19, 2019 8:42 PM

Jan 2009
there is a official episode discussion thread already though here https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1793053 so you can fully talk about the movie spoilers there
Jul 19, 2019 9:56 PM
Jul 2010
I just saw the film at Toho shinjuku as well!

I’m surprised no one here has mentioned the product placement. The first 1/4 of the film was... something.
Jul 19, 2019 10:07 PM
Jul 2019
NesKuiT said:

Lol i was surprised when they showed Lumine, Ikebukuro Station, Parco etc so many good references plus the BOSS Machines everywhere. Nice, I watched it in Ueno but sadly they didnt show Ueno at all.

I especially "loved" the part where Hina gives Hodaka a McDonald's cheeseburger and then the film zooms in on the wrapper with the I'm lovin' it logo and he says "this is the best dinner I've had in my life"
Jul 19, 2019 11:12 PM

Feb 2019
Poopchuujin said:
NesKuiT said:

I especially "loved" the part where Hina gives Hodaka a McDonald's cheeseburger and then the film zooms in on the wrapper with the I'm lovin' it logo and he says "this is the best dinner I've had in my life"

It’s the little details that make things pop!
Jul 25, 2019 5:18 AM
Mar 2019
Superns18 said:

I have seen the movie in the theaters in Japan and in the beginning I thought it was boring which made me think that it wouldn’t be good. Gradually though, once you got into the middle to end it got really interesting. The ending was especially sad and made me cry. in my opinion, tho I do think it was a bit better than Kimi No Na Wa ( No hate but like I think Kimi No Na Wa was meh)
Also make sure that when u watch it not to skip the beginning Bc u probably won’t understand the story if u do. Thank u and sorry if this was all messy and grammatically wrong all over the place but that was all I was going to say thank u :)
P.S music and art was great
risumiiJul 25, 2019 6:04 PM
Jul 26, 2019 7:07 AM

Sep 2012
I watched today. It was absolutely wonderful. The music, the story, the art, the characters, everything, was wonderful.

By the way, for those whose watched it, did you guys notice
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 27, 2019 12:28 AM

Feb 2019
Bobby_S said:
I watched today. It was absolutely wonderful. The music, the story, the art, the characters, everything, was wonderful.

Yea it was pretty blatant lol, taki was there for like 5 minutes of screentime
Aug 9, 2019 6:22 AM
Apr 2018
Superns18 said:
Bobby_S said:

Yea it was pretty blatant lol, taki was there for like 5 minutes of screentime

Well Mitsuha was there for like 10 seconds
Aug 9, 2019 8:27 AM
Apr 2019
Just saw the movie today, and warning some spoilers ahead.

Without a doubt another brilliant film by Makoto Shinkai, and the soundtrack by RADWIMPS was incredible.

A lot of people disliked the movie because they were expecting something like Kimi No Na Wa 2, and this is how it's different:
Whereas Kimi No Na Wa was a movie that made you speechless and awestruck, Tenki No Ko was more like a punch to the gut. You're still awestruck and speechless, but it's different this time ; it's a lot more grounded compared to the fantasy-based Kimi No Na Wa. You can relate to the hardship and emotions of the mc not only because of the brilliant writing, but also the beautiful animation and soundtrack.

To me, Tenki No Ko was a great movie, as great as Kimi No Na Wa, but not for the same reasons.
Good job to Makoto Shinkai again, RADWIMPS for the breathtaking soundtrack, and all the animators for their incredible work, definitely one of the best animated anime movies I've ever watched.
Aug 9, 2019 8:55 AM

Feb 2019
fRoSt937 said:

Without a doubt another brilliant film by Makoto Shinkai, and the soundtrack by RADWIMPS was incredible.

A lot of people disliked the movie because they were expecting something like Kimi No Na Wa 2, and this is how it's different:
Whereas Kimi No Na Wa was a movie that made you speechless and awestruck, Tenki No Ko was more like a punch to the gut. You're still awestruck and speechless, but it's different this time ; it's a lot more grounded compared to the fantasy-based Kimi No Na Wa. You can relate to the hardship and emotions of the mc not only because of the brilliant writing, but also the beautiful animation and soundtrack.

To me, Tenki No Ko was a great movie, as great as Kimi No Na Wa, but not for the same reasons.
Good job to Makoto Shinkai again, RADWIMPS for the breathtaking soundtrack, and all the animators for their incredible work, definitely one of the best animated anime movies I've ever watched.

agree with you on most, like I Said in the review, different type of film completely
Aug 15, 2019 8:41 AM

Nov 2014
Superns18 said:
fRoSt937 said:

agree with you on most, like I Said in the review, different type of film completely

Yeah , I agreed with you too guys those two aren't the same thing, i think they great and wonderful at each own.

tonight i just watch the premiere in my country, i totally amazed and touched by it "beautifulness" from story, visual, soundtrack (Radwimps XD). and ...

I Hope Makoto Shinkai keep making wonderful movie in the future, can't wait for more of his work.
r16fourarmAug 15, 2019 2:09 PM
Aug 15, 2019 9:28 AM

Feb 2019
r16fourarm said:
Superns18 said:

Yeah , I agreed with you too guys those two aren't the same thing, i think they great and wonderful at each own.

tonight i just watch the premiere in my country, i totally amazed and touched by it "beautifulness" from story, visual, soundtrack. and ...

I Hope Makoto Shinkai keep making wonderful movie in the future, can't wait for more of his work.

it was a pretty long cameo too, like a solid 5 minutes of genuine interaction. He definitely will, biggest name in Anime right now tbh
Aug 15, 2019 11:34 AM
Apr 2019
Superns18 said:
r16fourarm said:

tonight i just watch the premiere in my country, i totally amazed and touched by it "beautifulness" from story, visual, soundtrack. and ...

it was a pretty long cameo too, like a solid 5 minutes of genuine interaction. He definitely will, biggest name in Anime right now tbh

Tbh I've heard a lot of critics complaining about how the plot doesn't hold up very well and that the plot is poor, what do you think of that? In case you're wondering, I personally disagree with it but I'm curious what some of you might think?
Aug 15, 2019 7:40 PM

Feb 2019
fRoSt937 said:
Superns18 said:

Tbh I've heard a lot of critics complaining about how the plot doesn't hold up very well and that the plot is poor, what do you think of that? In case you're wondering, I personally disagree with it but I'm curious what some of you might think?

Plot isn’t a masterpiece but it’s not bad, it’s just not as good as Kimi no na wa 2

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tenki no Ko Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Stray - Jul 18, 2019

383 by Myetx »»
Mar 9, 3:16 AM

» Am I wrong here? I loved it

Hrusi - Mar 16, 2020

32 by DFrench125 »»
Oct 21, 2023 8:23 AM

» kimi no na wa and tenki no ko is connected ?!

nanatshi - May 28, 2020

12 by elGatoGordo06 »»
Apr 11, 2023 11:45 PM

» Everything wrong with Tenki no Ko

Atsunome - Mar 17, 2023

26 by Steph »»
Mar 18, 2023 5:22 AM

» What did you guys think of weathering with you?

cauthecow793 - Sep 9, 2020

19 by Atsunome »»
Mar 13, 2023 5:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.