Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2019 7:59 PM

Apr 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The Episode Summary
In this episode, Momo finds out she lives in a hotel and she does some waitstaff work, then some weird "Fairy Hunter" dude shows up looking for fairies. Because apparently this hotel has been around for a few hundred years, and it was the only building left and all the other buildings disappeared, replaced by forest. And apparently, fairies and humans used to live together in harmony, but now fairies have disappeared.

For good reason, too. Whenever a fairy is seen by a human, they disappear. But even so, one fairy wants to go out and meet Momo (despite all the other fairies telling him he's an idiot), and eventually they do meet up and he doesn't die because Momo's not really a human. Then the "Fairy Hunter" starts this whole big fairy hunt, and it's on TV and everything (???), and now Momo has to help the fairies escape without being seen.

They manage to make it underground in some tunnel, but there's no way out. So Momo transforms into a station attendant, steals a train, and then drives a train off the tracks, and now I guess she's piloting a train because it's flying. So, they decide the best place to go is Marinarsa, which I guess makes sense, so Momo jumps out of the train and sends it crashing into the ocean.

No one catches a fairy, and the "Fairy Hunter" leaves in defeat, but doesn't give up.

Discussion
I honestly didn't want to summarise it in that much detail, but these episodes are pretty packed...

This was a pretty interesting one, and I think it might even be funnier than the first one. This episode was full of bizarre characters, the top of the list being the "Fairy Hunter" himself. Momo's mother still has the best lines so far. I love how she rings up her daughter from the foyer; it really feels like an actual family relationship. You know, despite Momo brainwashing both of them.

This is a really pleasant, slow, and hilarious series with some surprisingly unique stories to tell. Minky Momo has a heavy environmental bent, and it's even more clear in the next episode, "The Great Animal Operation" (or however you want to translate アニマル大作戦), but it's not particularly overbearing yet. There's a heavy focus on animals in this series so far. I mean, the first episode of the first series started off with Momo trying to cure a horse, and her three companions are weird animals, so I don't know what I was expecting, really.

Best part of Minky Momo: the Japanese is a little challenging, but I find I'm understanding most of it. Although the conversations between Momo's real parents (Dabadaba dude and the tall lady) are difficult to decipher sometimes, so I tend to just skip over them if I don't get it the first time around.

And I suppose I should comment on how nice the DVD cases are for this series. I mean, they better be for $300AUD. They're very easy to take out and put back in, and they're pretty well-made. I was expecting some cheap shit. But it seems like it's actually worth the money. I mean...as much as spending $300 on some weird children's anime in a language I barely understand can be worth the money. But the other two boxes are on their way to me, too.

That's about $850AUD total, and maybe I should have just stuck with Prime Japan...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou no Princess Minky Momo: Yume wo Dakishimete Episode 1 Discussion

Fall - Jun 18, 2019

1 by Hurrikhan »»
Jan 10, 12:25 PM

Poll: » Mahou no Princess Minky Momo: Yume wo Dakishimete Episode 4 Discussion

Fall - Jun 29, 2019

0 by Fall »»
Jun 29, 2019 10:55 PM

Poll: » Mahou no Princess Minky Momo: Yume wo Dakishimete Episode 3 Discussion

Fall - Jun 28, 2019

0 by Fall »»
Jun 28, 2019 8:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.